Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you literally didn't recognize any of them as being rip offs of various anime / cartoons.

Legitimately didn't know.

I do like some of those designs though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was tempted by this, I just couldn't think of enough used to justify a $600 3D printer.

Never pay for Warhammer again?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It has a class called the Psycho. How could you not be on board?

This not the goatman I expected.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sort of want something like this but based on the Ramayana and Upanishads. Definitely listening if you review it Ross.

Clarification: a world book not a card game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

HOLY :neckbeard: this looks like exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

Some of you seemed interested in the style of the teaser image I posted last, so I figured you'd get a kick out of the full cover art.

Badass.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wasn't Yugioh designed to be transmedia from the beginning?

I even recall recieving a mail flier about thr tv show debuting with the card game launch.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Huh. So this is what Planet Caravan would look like.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

The Lazer Ryderz Kickstarter is live!
And oh my god, the box is cooler then I thought it'd be.

:stare: The bar has been raised. That is amazing.

Nuns with Guns posted:

like senrath said, yu-gi-oh was originally just a manga about a hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance. iirc there's even a bit where they do an arc around russian roulette. The magic: the gathering children's card game arc was so popular they revisited it a few times, then decided to license the property for a card game and port the anime to the west, which became card-focused after the first season.

Interesting. Thanks gents. If Yugioh had been introduced as " hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance" I would have to have checked it out back in the day. That is one of the better fictional premises I have ever heard.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

jmzero posted:

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but their last game - RESISTOR - also looked pretty cool visually. Unfortunately, it was pretty much one big glaring game design problem, got tepid reviews overall, and I think was forgotten about pretty quickly.

So yeah, I really like the visuals and the boxes here, but I have no faith in their ability to design a game.

Valid criticism but it DOES look fantastic.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hello. Would you like some Cthulhu in your Xenomorphs? Some Necromorphs in your DOOM?

Kickstarter for Deep Madness

Miniatures look awesome. Which is all I know.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok reading Deep Madness a bit more, here's my concern:

you set up a scenario
rooms get corrupted at random
corrupted rooms spawn monsters
monsters are more powerful in corrupted rooms

My fear is that the interaction of the random room mechanic with the scenario mechanic will result in a Betrayal at House on the Hill scenario where it's just complete luck as to whether or not you can make it through the scenario. In some cases, you could draw badly and all of your scenario objectives are lurking in corrupted rooms with powerful monsters in them.

There's also a race mechanic in the game - your guys start out in peak condition but a casual read of the mechanics shows that they get nasty conditions piled on them and also need to search for equipment to deal with certain environmental obstacles. The equipment search is random. Coupled with the fact that they have "irreplaceable skills" that most likely interact with the scenario somehow...hmm. Again this is not a death sentence but it does make me nervous...if a couple of bad draws tank your Scientist and thus your hope for beating the scenario, that would suck.

Coupled with the horrific amateurishness of the text I am not getting a good vibe about the game part of the KS. If you like the minis though who cares?

Thanks for this analysis Mega Jockstrap. I just saw the minis and I'm still drooling.

Interesting that the game has both a race against time and a race against propagation mechanic. I think (unsure) that can be difficult to balance even in a video game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Squiddo is kickstarting some post-apocalyptic female minis that look pretty neat. Might be good for Rogue Stars or similar.

My first thought was "Necromunda".

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

speaking of is there a good Law & Order rpg? because a game with both a police detective phase and a trial by jury phase sounds really fun.

Somebody loving make this please.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Booo. Hiss.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuGJOdyoLo4

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Tanto Cuore is as exploitive as Kingdom Death.

Discuss.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Harlem Unbound, the Cthulhu mythos in the Harlem Renaissance, seems cool. Mentioning a video game stretch goal immediately makes me wary, though, even if it's kind of jokey. Still, there are good, reliable people involved, so backed for now.

Great find. Harlem Renaissance is full of opportunities to be cracked open.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ettin posted:

I'm currently debating making the art book double as a splat for the tabletop game so I can put it on DriveThruRPG. We'll see if that works out I guess :buddy:

This seems like a smart idea.

Isn't this sort of what Eclipse Phase does with their commissioned art? You can buy the art as separate from the text pdf or something?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyway.

The Star on the Shore

Chaosium licenced Call of Cthulhu sandbox adventure in 1920s New England.

Six days left

Fully funded, many stretch goals unlocked.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkcultgames/the-star-on-the-shore-a-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-module?ref=nav_search

No idea if it's good.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From the creators of Mutant: Year Zero

Mutant: MECHATRON

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-mechatron-rise-of-the-robots-roleplaying/description

Rise, as a robot with newly developed sentience. Discover why the humans abandoned you, and question why you should obey them at all.

Protect Mechatron 7, the technological marvel of an underwater robot factory that is falling perilously into decay.

Explore the post-apocalyptic wasteland known as the ZONE and interact with friends and foes from the gamelines Mutant: Year Zero, Mutant: Genlab Alpha, and anything else printed in the game line.

Aquire this product for a minimum $28. Relax, as you realize Mechatron will be produced because it already fully funded in less than 24 hours. Watch, as you receive a beta pdf around June, then the real game in approximately September.

What else does the kickstarter say?

===What is Mutant : Mechatron?===

quote:

Do you like scifi in the vein of Asimov, Blade Runner, Terminator, Ex Machina, Automata and Westworld? Then Mutant: Mechatron is for you!

This is the second major expansion to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning postapocalyptic pen&paper roleplaying game by Free League Publishing.

But Mutant: Mechatron is no mere supplement - it stands on its own and can be played as a complete game in its own right. Get ready for the rise of the robots!

----

Mutant: Mechatron tells the origin story of the robots, and introduces them into the dawnworld of Mutant: Year Zero. Some of the contents:

New rules for creating and playing robots. A unique system lets you build your machine character part by part. The book includes all the rules you need to play!

A detailed description of Mechatron-7, the huge underground robot hive, including a beautiful full-color map.

The complete campaign Ghost in the Machine, putting the player characters in the middle of a conflict threatening the future of the entire robot hive.

An overview of how the robots can adapt to life in the Zone, and join the human mutants of Mutant: Year Zero.

===New to Mutant: Year Zero?===

quote:

Mutant: Mechatron is a full game in its own right, but if you’re new to the Mutant: Year Zero universe there has never been a better time to get started!

During the entire run of this Kickstarter, we have a 20% discount on all Mutant: Year Zero products in the Free League webstore. (We have EU- and North America-friendly shipping.)

Mutant: Year Zero is the latest version of the classic Swedish pen & paper roleplaying game Mutant, first published in 1984. Mutant: Year Zero was published in 2014, and was awarded RPG of the Year by the main Swedish gaming magazine Fenix.

The English version of the game was released in December of 2014, and was an instant hit. Watch the release trailer here. Mutant: Year Zero was named Best RPG at UK Games Expo 2015 and it was awarded a Silver ENnie for Best Rules at Gencon 2015.

The first expansion for Mutant: Year Zero was Mutant: Genlab Alpha, telling the story of the mutant animals. Mutant: Genlab Alpha was successfully kickstarted a year ago and released in July last year.

Want more information? Click on my short review of Mutant: Year Zero here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3803702#post469637283

Robots. Will. Rise.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Riotminds, creators of Trudvang Chronicles, have put up a translation of their other big roleplaying game, Gotterdammerung, on Kickstarter, under the name Lex Ocultum. It's a really interesting idea. All the secret societies and occult stuff of the 18th and 19th centuries? It was true, and you are the people that had to fight the gently caress ups of the ignorant nobility who dabbled in that which man should not know. In a way, it is similar to Call of Cthulhu, and it uses the BRP system, but it is based more heavily in the Enlightenment, with more of a Templars fighting in the background rather than random people swept into the conflict, at least as far I can tell.

Looks interesting

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only time sex has really come up was in playing the Pendragon grand campaign where the entire game covers the rise and fall of Arthur Pendragon from the death of his father to Camlann which covers a pretty long period of time and having kids is heavily advantageous to having your Game of Thrones esque plots see completion. When I ran that game we managed to have one player have like four sons who all died in battle fighting with Arthur in various campaigns so he was considered weak, but he had actually sent his secret fifth son to marry a African princess and he returned at Camlann right after Arthur and Mordreds deaths, routed both the remaining armies and seized the throne of Britain. We then ran a ~6 month follow up game where the grand children of the now dead PCs traveled to Normandy and Scandinavia in order to raise troops to depose the 12 year old king of England and Aksum.

:neckbeard: so Crusader Kings, the rpg.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Malthusian posted:

The Mutant Year Zero robot expansion book has come up in the thread a couple of times before--it looks like most of their stretch goals are new "Zone Sectors." Anyone familiar with the base game and its released Zone Sectors? Are they any good? Just trying to judge how the ones for this Kickstarter might turn out.

Mutant Year Zero core and expansions discussions here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3777631&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post469635025

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803702&userid=150880&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post469637283

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

WizKids should do that with a whole new game and jumpstart their usual awful business model from the ground up. They can even have a super expensive tier that allows you to join a special tournament that, upon winning, allows you to have even more exclusive cards.

This is literally the business model of Marvel Puzzle Quest (free to play of course).

http://marvel.com/games/161/marvel_puzzle_quest

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Here is the link for the first episode of God's Teeth by Caleb of RPPR.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublic...#comment-204085

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book

quote:

An epic adventure book for 5E. Blends classic fantasy with Greek mythology. From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate I & II and KOTOR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanumworlds/odyssey-of-the-dragonlords-5th-edition-adventure-b/

quote:

If you've been following this project already, then you know that we've released the Player's Guide to Odyssey of the Dragonlords for FREE on DriveThruRPG.com. This 32-page booklet provides players with a starting point for their journey into the lands of Thylea. It contains all the information you need to create your character.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267073/Odyssey-of-the-Dragonlords-Players-Guide

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Kevin Crawford is planning to release Wolves of God on kickstarter next week.

Sounds like Ars Magica but everyone is Grogs or Grogs with powers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/523178634?ref=dbgnyt&token=0b126aa2

quote:

About
Embrace the savage darkness of post-Roman Britain with Wolves of God, a semi-historical tabletop RPG from the creator of Stars Without Number, Godbound, Scarlet Heroes, and other best-selling role-playing games.

It is the year 710 of our Lord as brother Bede reckons it. The barbaric English have long since swept over Britain, their passage shrouded by the smoke of burning cities. For six generations they have been masters of the best part of the island, driving the native Britons before them with bloody iron or taking them as thralls and subjects, until the wretched heirs of the Roman kings can have refuge only in the western mountains or the cold northern lands. The magnificent Roman cities of old have been thrown down, the roads have grown wild and perilous, and even the kings of the English must live in thatched wooden halls and ride from one royal villa to the next merely to feed their companions. It is an age of darkness, poverty, and unsleeping war.

Four generations ago the English turned Christian under the ministrations of Roman missionaries and Irish monks. Scattered across their untamed lands are the minsters of these clergy, strongholds of learning and Roman civilization against the hard ways of the English tribes. Only in the minsters can stone buildings be found, with windows of glass and artisan-monks fashioning wonders to adorn their altars and reward the generosity of great lords. Brave abbots and wise abbesses rule these strongholds, always seeking to lift their kinsmen from their cruel ways and iniquities, and always in need of strong heroes to help them in their work.

Yet there are worse things in the dark than raiding warbands and embittered pagan remnants. The Roman sorcerers, the Artifexes of old, carved cysts into the world where they and their slaves could hide from the fury of the English. These Arxes were sealed until help could come, but help never did; now they canker and rot, old magic gone sour and strange, and those that dwell within them have been terribly changed. The Arxes burst open within the fallen Roman cities, monstrous beasts and twisted men going forth to scourge the innocent and take revenge for the crime of their conquest. The minsters stand fast against their diabolic power, but the abbots and lords need brave heroes to venture into the cities and purge these Arxes of evil before they can swell greater still.

You are one such hero. Whether a spear-wise gesith, a young ceorl of broad back and stout heart, a wild-eyed waelcyrige-maiden of battle, a charm-muttering galdorman, or even a blessed and pious saint, your ambition is to earn a deathless name of glory and an honored place among your people. Whether offering your aid to warring lords, plundering the riches of fallen Roman cities, delving the dark halls of a festering Arx, or acting as agents of some cunning abbot, you will dare great deeds with your brave warband of companions and win yourself a place in the songs of kings… or a nameless grave in some blighted earth.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Fae's Anatomy

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faesanatomy/faes-anatomy-a-melodramatic-medical-mystery-rpg/description

If you ever wondered what Dr. House would be but as a team of Wizards solving medical mysteries with mystic might, then take a look at Fae's Anatomy. It is a fast paced fantasy medical mystery drama in the vein of an improv game like Fiasco and the book serves as the GM so everyone can play.

quote:

What is Fae's Anatomy?

Fae’s Anatomy: A Melodramatic Medical Mystery RPG parodies the stories found in procedural medical dramas. Think General Hospital, Grey’s Anatomy, M.A.S.H, or House. Only insane, because who needs realism?

One player takes on the role of the Patient, struggling to provide the medical team with enough clues so they can make a diagnosis. Each Patient can come down with any 1-of-10,000 possible diseases! Roleplay the symptoms...or die!

The rest of the players are Providers, medical professionals dedicated to solving the case and saving a life. But being a doctor is stressful! To stay focused and solve the case, our medical heroes need to steal medications from the pharmacy, make out in broom closets, and the other heinously unprofessional stuff that makes science interesting enough to watch on television.

No one starts the game knowing what’s wrong; the game “black boxes” the diagnostic puzzle so that even the Patient doesn’t know what they’re suffering from. The whole table has to work together to solve the crisis!

Who is Fae's Anatomy For?

Fae’s Anatomy is an indie storytelling game wrapped around a sprawling logic puzzle. It features the fun and freedom of an improv game (like Fiasco or Hillfolk), but fueled by a deductive challenge difficult enough to engage more traditional RPG players.

Fae’s Anatomy is GM-less and dice-less. The rules take five minutes to learn, fit onto a single character sheet, and require no more than one person to have read anything beforehand.

Everything in Fae's Anatomy — theme, mechanics, presentation, etc. — is designed to get the game started as quickly and easily as possible.

Who is Fae's Anatomy By?

Goon Caleb Stokes of Red Markets, Delta Green, Roleplaying Public Radio and many others is the game designer behind Fae's Anatomy.

What to know how Fae's Anatomy is played?

Here is audio of an free actual play with Greg Stolze

https://www.patreon.com/posts/faes-anatomy-51354775?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copy_to_clipboard&utm_campaign=postshare

If you want to know more about how the game was designed, look no further than the Roleplaying Public Radio's Game Designer's Workshop here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2021/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-caleb-stokes-on-faes-anatomy/

If you are interested in more of Caleb's game design work through Hebanon Games, backers for Fae's Anatomy can pick up Red Markets, it's expansions and No Security (Call of Cthulhu adventures in 1930s) for a discounted price.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 29, 2021

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot: ***Fae's Anatomy Update*** :toot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faesanatomy/faes-anatomy-a-melodramatic-medical-mystery-rpg/description

Fae's Anatomy broke through it's $10,000 goal and cracked the first stretch goal at the $11,000 mark thanks to your enthusiasm!

What's next?

$12k Stretch Goal

quote:

This book contains real medical information! Well, half of it does. Actually, it’s probably somewhere between 25-33%. And most of that is from Wikipedia. But it’s real, damnit! While no one should use FAMMM to learn medicine, we’d love it if players could pass through the game on their way towards actual Biology.

If we meet this stretch goal, the book includes extensive endnotes for every source used to make the -Natural side of the list. We’ll also link to those sources in the PDF and any future digital releases.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The art is very evocative and pretty drat amazing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I always watch the kickstarter videos.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Greg Stolze has an Indiegogo about releasing more stories about Unknown Armies if a certain price point is reached. 15 days left.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-stories-of-unknown-armies#/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found a Kickstarter that interests me and may interest some of you, on a solo wargaming discord.

Across a Thousand Dead Worlds

This is a scifi horror space exploration rpg with a book that exceeds 400 pages. You can play solo or with up to five players with or without a Game Master. The system uses a 1d20 with 20 being the target number for success.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1775185920/across-a-thousand-dead-worlds?ref=project_link

Players create a "Deep Diver" using a free-form character creation system and search the galaxy for alien technology onboard abandoned research facilities, scientific outposts, and dilapidated sites in search for ancient alien technology.

How "free-form" is the character creation system?

Well there is a 21 page gameplay preview below, with more than half (up to page 15) dealing with character creation.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...lay_Preview.pdf

From my reading, you can pick your Skills and distribute points into them. Interestingly you roll up your Talents randomly, but you have a maximum of 5 Talent slots, so sort of like Darkest Dungeon with perks; you pick which Talents you want to keep and which you discard. The exception to rolling randomly is that when you create a new character you get to choose one Talent.

Across a Thousand Dead Worlds also advertises itself as a sci-fi toolbox with tables to, for example, generate a planet or an alien station for any scifi venue.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are there any threads in here on the YZ engine games? I've got a couple I haven't read yet but I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience with it too.

Found one. It hasn't been posted in a bit. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903473

Also there is a Twilight 2000 thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984357

Edit: Half-beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I found a kickstarter for a strategy table top rpg, similar to a wargame, that is set in a gothic fantasy world.

It is called Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition. Inspired by Fire Emblem, Yggdra Union, Langrisser, and the works of Yasumi Matsuno, it is authored by Richard Kelly and has been expanded by Alex T of Blackoath Entertainment.

Some of you may know Alex T and Blackoath Entertainment from their other successful kickstarter Across a Thousand Dead Worlds, now on DriveThru. I own that product as well.

Here is what the Monarch Edition (kickstarter version) contains:

quote:

Monarch Edition is a complete remaster of the original Over War, which has been out since 2022. Monarch Edition adds new tables, resources, lore, GM tools, and solo play support, and includes all content from the Fraternization And Fortresses, Roads Of Caer Elhwyn, The Gerlac Woods, and Lake Crescent expansions.

The original Over War is 47 pages. To see how the original Over War plays, you can download a Community Copy for FREE (while they last) from itch.io here. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get a copy.

The kickstarter Monarch Edition will be around 105 pages. The primary reasons for doing a kickstarter is to expand the book, and pay for new layout and art.

What are the mechanics you should expect from Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition?

By Richard Kelly February 5, 2024 on kickstarter comment 2 posted:

At the start of the game, you have five types of characters unlocked. This means you might be able to put Gremlins, Rocketists, Wolfhounds, Archmages, and Ghosts in your Unit, freely mixing and matching in whatever formation you like. You might build your Unit out of only Gremlins, or put a sturdy Wolfhound in the front and a frail but powerful Archmage in the back. When you have time between battles, you can reshuffle both your formation and which types of characters you have included, so you can even design counter-formations to deal with particularly pesky enemy Units.

As you play, you explore the hexmaps of the various provinces and territories of Ballark and visit the towns and cities therein. Most settled tiles will let you heal and reshuffle your formation, but some will unlock new character types---or will give you a choice that unlocks a new character type if you're willing to pay the price.

In the first scenario included in Monarch Edition, The Campaign For Estwald, the players come across a human city plagued by an infestation of Vampyres. The humans want the Vampyres gone, and will gladly give you rations and a holy relic in exchange for purging them from the streets. The Vampyres, on the other hand, are sick of being pushed to the margins of mortal society and will happily join up with you if you leave them in peace. The humans of Ballark don't like it, and it affects your Reputation with them, but you can choose to unlock Vampyres here, gaining a powerful character type that hits harder at night.

The system advertises “a nearly diceless system that rewards strategy, positioning, resource use, and reading your opponent.”

Full disclosure, I have backed Over War: Monarch Edition and I am in the process of reading the previous edition. I am personally very interested in the game’s new Solo mode.

Kickstarter link for Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1775185920/over-war-the-night-comes-down-monarch-edition/description