Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone had an opportunity to look at Anachrony?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm in a group buy for it. It's by the makers of Trickerion, which I hear was good. But I'm having a few second thoughts, mostly because I'm really cutting it close with my budget.

Sort of in the same boat with a budget..

Mojo Jojo posted:

If I wasn't buying a house I would have backed it.

Trickerion was a well run kickstarter and produced a solid game (that could have used another round of playtesting to catch some obvious rough bits )

I'm concerned this game will have the same issues, but it looks so nice.

Also considering Sol, which will probably not have a retail version, and This war of mine, which might be a better video game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If anyone was considering Sol here is a great review by the creator of pax pamir

https://culturebytesback.com/2016/05/24/review-of-sol/

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SA's favorite game is up!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

It's literally a pillow with the word "love" stitched on it

I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin, but I can't imagine walking around in public with that tote (bag).

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

or sending any of those postcards to anyone I know or care about

Happy Birthday Mom!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I received a Tokaido collector's edition in the mail today.

What the gently caress was I thinking

I am likely sending mine straight to eBay, the wait and QC issues have soured me to a game I haven't even played yet.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

It's so easy to want a game and want to play it and not want to play it 2 years or whatever later. Crazy, right!?

I was willing to pony out the cash for what I knew to be a light game, but I was sold as a beautiful but light game and I was ok with that. 2 years later QC issues and the publishers ability to communicate honestly have ruined the game for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Man, I want to keep this game after the wait, but I really don't think I'm gonna have fun playing it at this point. Maybe I'll trade it with a friend.

My wife watched the play through and decided we are keeping it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

alg posted:

are people serious about this

Four of those, obviously four different countries, would be perfect for table mats when the in-laws came to visit.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Canada is in second place, so they'll probably do that too, if you'd prefer

7/10 no maple syrup

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Days of ire: Budapest 1956 is in the last 36 hours. I can't decide if I would get this game to the table.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Battle of Britain looks interesting, has anyone played any of their other games?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

KongGeorgeVII posted:

What are people's thoughts on Fields of Green?

It's from a reputable publisher with a history of successfully delivered kickstarter projects. The game itself is similar to Artipia's other game Among the Stars although it expands on the the premise and has you building an economy engine in addition to just racking up victory points.

Seems like an interesting little drafting game to me that should play pretty quickly. It helps that I think the art is quite pretty.

It on my watch list the Goon favorite rhado play through convinced me my wife might like it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fields of Green is down to the last 48 hours. It looks like it will be a really fun, easy to play game. But I don't need another game right now but it looks perfect for my wife and I.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

As an American, I think there should be a version of the minis with giant fuckoff guns. AR-16s, Desert Eagle Mark XIXs, Thompson M1928s, and of course M60 GPMGs.

As man who likes titties and guns I concur, but it's an M-16 or AR-15

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sagrada looks like an interesting game involving dice and pattern matching. Already funded with $44,557 of the $24,000 goal. 24 days to go, so there's plenty of time to give it a look-over.

I'm likely hitting this one too, it looks perfect for my wife and I. I do wish the dice were a little larger and the price a bit cheaper.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cyberia posted:

Stellar Armada, a $1 micro game which has raised $7500 so far; [

This will certainly get my $5

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Oh, I have no doubts about that, because they have a loyal, if misguided, fanbase who will readily shell out for that crap; The art style is lazy, the premise is insulting and distasteful, and the mechanics are so simple a three year old could play (and would probably be the only one to actually have fun with it, more than once).

400k and climbing - gently caress

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

And then you have to actually trim/assemble/glue all the little bits together yourself.
It sounds like a full-time job just to start playing the game.

I like board games with minis like Descent or Battlelore, but there's no way I'm putting the figures together, sorry.

After spending 500 you get to massage plastic boobs, it's almost like buying an assembly required real doll.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is anyone backing Quodd?

I like the looks of the game but am afraid it is going to spawn a million arguments and be fiddly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Failed Kickstarter drama deserves it own A&E show as they appear to be filled with social rejects, deadlines, poor business decisions, and of course demanding customers. The AvP thread on Reddit is full of people who got screwed by a company that delivered to retail and now want the backers to pay a higher price. For me the issue is that many of those games never make it to retail.

Scythe has me changing my mind on Kickstarter. have backed a dozen or so projects, but skipped scythe thinking I would pick it up later.

Now I cannot force myself to buy the lesser quality game or pay the $200 price it would take to buy the game with all nice components.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

A crowdfunding show on CNBC or Discovery or History seems super appropriate. Mix in some success stories with stories of failure or drama with either result and it'd be golden. Hell, I'm sure all of the tech and product Kickstarters would be enough to generate their own show as they're full of their own fresh hell.

We have had motorcycle, car, fashion, cake, we almost deserve a nerd show full of melt downs and ruined friendships.

Worst of all it wouldn't have to be scripted.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It sounds like he is trying to spin a failed suicide into a feel sorry for us and buy our things post.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know how this plays, but I know there is a large overlap between science nerds and board game nerds:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geniusgames/cytosis-a-cell-biology-board-game?ref=1szekr

Rhado called it a fast playing lite gateway game, looked interesting up until then.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My copy of Sagrada came in today. It looks gorgeous.

Let me know how it plays I missed the KS and plan to order it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Anyone here looking at the Cytosis kickstarter? It sounds interesting, but I'd like to get more opinions on it.

Rhado said it's a light introductory game which made me decide not to back it. It's a lovely looking game..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Would it be good for people who've never heard of worker placement, or is there a better game for introducing that concept?

It's cheap enough and a beautiful looking game, why not try it. Stone Age is also a nice worker placement game and it's available now. But you should ask the resident experts in the board game thread.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It's pretty fun. Feels sorta like a mixture of Scrabble and Yahtzee. The last couple of rounds really make you think about your final moves.

Worth while purchase then?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TacoNight posted:

One Deck Dungeon is kickstarting their first expansion, Forest of Shadows. I'm a big fan of the original game, which is a lightweight cooperative dungeon crawler. It achieves its goals quite well using only cards + dice, as you have the feeling of getting more powerful as you explore a randomly generated, increasingly tough dungeon. There are some interesting choices to be made: fight or run away from an encounter as well as your choice of loot vs exp vs skills gained for finishing an encounter, though it is not incredibly deep.

Also as a pitch, they avoid lots of annoying kickstarter behaviors: they have no ks exclusives, the price + shipping = msrp ($25), and none of the main game are hidden behind stretch goals. The downside is they only have reasonable shipping prices for US. There is a full print and play version for the main game and expansion on the kickstarter page.

Kind of neat looking and maybe more accessible that LOTR LCG?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Much more. The main thing to bear in mind, though, is that it's designed to be hard. As in winning is...not something that happens every time. There are optional "leveling" rules in the core set to help you improve your character, though.

Looks cheap enough to get the full set in paper, though I wonder if by plastic cards they mean the same style as plastic poker cards.

TacoNight posted:

It is also easy to adjust the difficulty without trivializing the game by starting with exp or items. This is useful since I play with my five year old, whose strategy is "all pink dice"

I have a ten year old I play with now and then so it's probably perfect.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The final hours of Brass are here and I still can't decide if I should back one or both versions.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Anyone hear/have opinions about Card City XL? It's nearing it's final hours.

I'm on the fence. We have tile laying games covered with Carcassonne and I'm not sure I need another. The draw and split function could be a killer for anyone who is AP..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Software engineer will replaced by mini sculptor as the hot new job.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

No love for Minutes to Midnight in here?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It looks good, but for me it falls squarely in the "wait til retail" category because I've spent a bunch on boardgame kickstarters this year and there's nothing incredibly compelling about backing this as opposed to waiting.

It does look like their other games are readily available on the web. I enjoy Energy Empire which is why I was considering backing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I hate to derail the farwest chat, but I decided to back Deep Space D-6. Am I overestimating how fun this will be?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nope. I backed the original and it's a great game. It has a good balance of randomness and resource management.

Thank you for enabling me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I was going to pass but my wife watched Rhados play though and said "I love that!!" So I am obligated to backing it.