Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh, the Darkest Night KS keeps posting shots of their test minis from the factory and they just look so blobby and amateurish. I really hope the game is good because it was more money than most campaigns that offer better quality.

It's really good. And bear in mind that the previous edition didn't have minis (and they were optional in this edition) but it did have four (five if you count the bundle of promos) expansions that were each around $20, which are all rolled into the base package here. It's too bad if people paid extra for minis and they turn out not to be very good, but that's not the value proposition of this particular project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Have there always been this many miniature centric boardgame kickstarters going on? Between Kingdom Death, Dark Souls, CMON stuff and to lesser extent Gloomhaven it feels like 2012-2014 did for videogames.

Miniatures-centric boardgame projects are basically the stereotypical tabletop Kickstarter.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

just watch supergreatfriend's LP

I'd recommend buying it to support the madness and then not actually playing it and watching supergreatfriend's LP instead.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Obviously there's room for multiple RPGs about a particular concept, but personally my "playing a cultist" needs are handled by the fairly simple, elegant Soth.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Stolze regularly Kickstarts fiction, both short and long. This doesn't seem that different really, except you also get a look at a draft of a game he's designing.

Having listened to Stolze participate in various RPPR Actual Plays over the years I can pretty much guarantee these will be golden if you're into APs, before I even listen to them.

That said, the UA Kickstarter post about it sure made it sound like he was Kickstarting the actual game, which apparently is not the case.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

counterspin posted:

As someone who spends many hours a week watching other people play videogames, I could see myself backing a playthrough if the price was right.

Well, in this case, the price is $5.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

They're fine. Straightforward scrounge-and-murder coop with a few interesting mechanical wrinkles. But they're like $45 worth of lightweight game in a $100+ package, mostly because there are a lot of minis. Also I don't know why you would get the fantasy version when there are a million fantasy coops and most have more interesting settings and ideas than just zombies. Part of the appeal of the original (at least to me) is that it's one of the few coops that's set in something akin to the modern day. So would I recommend getting in on this one? Nope.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

Wait, are they doing a direct port of the TT rules?

No, because it's going to be pausable real-time ala Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity. (I think maybe it's even using Pillars' engine? I forget if that's a thing.). The only D&D games that have been arguably directly faithful to the actual tabletop rules are the Gold Box SSI games and Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

That said, hopefully it will be a reasonable facsimile thereof because I'd much rather play 3E/Pathfinder on a computer where I have control of the whole party and the computer deals with a lot of the math than ever again at the table.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Pelgrane just launched their latest Kickstarter, the Yellow King Roleplaying Game that Robin D. Laws has been working on for a while now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1721105501/the-yellow-king-roleplaying-game-from-robin-d-laws?ref=nav_search

It's a bit pricey on the PDF side but on the other hand it looks like it's going to be a fantastic production and the physical edition is going to be a lovely four book set with a slipcase/GM screen. And it looks like a really mindbending, crazy game, too, with players operating across four different times and realities (each with associated book).

I don't usually go in for physical copies of RPGs anymore given how little room I have and how rarely I get to play them, but I couldn't resist on this one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

It's always 5e these loving days.

Well, it was always 4E before that. People just really like D&D. I don't get it either, but whatcha gonna do.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

People are apparently quite upset about "having" to now buy founders to get this secret and massive and essential Gloomhaven expansion.

I imagine after market sales will probably do quite well

This is the exact reaction I predicted when he mentioned that goal, despite taking great pains to explain how completely unimportant it would be to anyone who isn't into both games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I hadn't heard of Spellbound Kingdoms before this, or if I had, probably dismissed it as another fantasy heartbreaker, but after reading that F&F I need this in my life.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Impermanent posted:

This is fair - it works within the spirit of many of the works the game takes its inspiration from. However, were I to run it, I'd probably remove that and have the mechanic work more subtextually - there are many examples of works within that genre where people don't die until they give up hope without using the self-aware contrivance.

And personally I roll my eyes at that sort of thing when it's just a genre trope. It being an explicit, known metaphysical element of the setting is why I think it's cool in Spellbound Kingdoms.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, I am in a bizarre position. I am interested in the new Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana kickstarter, which I imagine has been already mentioned. Specifically, I am interested in the extra chapter available at the 65$ tier; the problem is that that includes this:
*A code for a POD, full-color, hardcover copy of the Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana book purchased at cost through DriveThruRPG.

I have no use for that. Does anyone want it? Perhaps enough to shoulder a bit of the 65$ I am seriously considering dropping on this elfgame, oh my god what's wrong with me?

Yeah, I wish there were an option to get that extra chapter without opting into a much more expensive print tier. I just wants my PDFs, man!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Isn't Hatoful Boyfriend built around the premise of sexy pigeons?

It does also depict them as sexy anime men. And it's kind of super tongue in cheek. But yes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Atomicated posted:

So this now also has a tier to get a new edition of Wok Star. I've never played the original, how is it?

It's decent. Kinda simple, not the sort of thing I replay all that regularly, but if you want to source ingredients and fill orders on a short timer it's fun enough. I feel like that Kitchen Rush game that was Kickstarting a while back might end up as a better buy but it's hard to say until that ships and I get to play it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's possible I just missed an earlier post about it, but the expected Doomtown Reloaded relaunch Kickstarter from Pinnacle is up and apparently has been for several days:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/doomtown-reloaded-there-comes-a-reckoning?ref=email

They're mainly Kickstarting a new expansion, but you can snag a "trunk" for storing the base game and all the addon card sets as well as dividers and the new expansion at the $50 tier, $75 throws in the base game as well, and you can if you so desire drop $250 to get the whole shebang including all of the previous Saddlebag and Pine Box addon releases put out by Alderac before the game was shuttered. Or you can pick them up piecemeal as addons, $10 per Saddlebag, $15 per Pine Box. Also there will be Doomtown-specific content for the Deadlands RPG thrown in at pretty nearly every backer tier (in PDF, so far as I can tell), errataed card reprints, etc.

Edit: Actually, looks like at the $50 tier and up you're getting the Deadlands Doomtown sourcebook in print, as well as the revised card game rulebook (which at low tiers is PDF only). Probably the adventures and other ancillary RPG-related stretch goal stuff will remain PDF/be a print addon.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 16, 2017

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Phil Brucato's Powerchords, which may be the only high-profile RPG kickstarter that was later than Far West, finally delivered today after funding in 2010, a year before Far West. Admittedly, I don't know what problems Powerchords had that caused it to take so drat long, but hey.

Wow. 7 years and only 55 comments.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
By the way, speaking of far more timely Kickstarters, the PDFs of goon-created PBTA game of wizarding academia Pigsmoke are out and available for nonbackers to purchase:

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/221386/Pigsmoke-A-Roleplaying-Game-of-Sorcerous-Academia

So far it's delightful, and sharing excerpts with some fellow roleplayers who are currently involved in academia led to immediate intense interest and knowing nods about just how well it captures the real thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jmzero posted:

Yeah - TIME Stories is a great cautionary tale on leaning too hard on BGG ratings (or game awards/reviewers). Everyone I've talked to that played it was excited going in, and were excited for the first hour... and then blown away by how poorly it went from there. It went from "hard to find gem" to "Facebook group hot potato" in the course of a couple weeks. The fact that it (or, perhaps even worse, Pandante) still has a reasonable score on BGG says either nobody updates their ratings, or they don't play the games they buy.

I'd wager 70% of newish BGG reviews - and a depressing percentage of boardgame journalism - are based on 0-1 hours of actual play.

Right now, despite finding the idea interesting, I'm certainly getting a fishy vibe off 7th Continent; think I'll wait.

I will say - one of the recent updates indicated they're not planning to sell the game at retail due to the high production costs (so many cards!) so while they are printing extra copies to cover replacements and may have some stock at increased price after that, don't count on being able to pick it up later. Unless they do another Kickstarter, I suppose.

I mean, if you're not sold, there's no harm in not having it, but FYI.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That's the sticking point for me. I'm sold, but not 'buy all the expansions now because they may never be available again!' sold, and feel weird enough about buying a game that might be forever "incomplete" that I'm planning to just bail on it. I noticed that the base game ships in March though, so I might shoot them a message to ask if it would be possible to add expansions on the pledge manager for the October shipment after then.

Personally my money is on them continuing to ride this train with new expansion Kickstarters until the enthusiasm dies, but I agree that I wouldn't want to partway invest and then have it turn out I could never get the rest.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The rules have been tidied very slightly and it's been pared down to six factions, but otherwise it's exactly the same game you used to play.

To the point where they still have some old booster boxes that you can snag as an addon and use with the LCG version.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pandanaut posted:

drat, 7th Continent went a little crazy on the optional buys.

I read an FAQ and I guess all six of the $20 expansions were present in the first Kickstarter too. It's just that the three that they listed as a potential bundle were part of a higher tier, whereas the three they've rolled out one by one were strictly addons. If someone went all in last time this thing wouldn't actually be that expensive to round out this time. As someone who didn't back at all last time, though...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I watched the pitch video for Double Fine Adventure (mostly because Tim Schafer is a funny guy) and for Wasteland 2. That's the last time I've bothered, and those were in 2012. If you can't lay out the info I want in your pitch page in text and images I can get through in 1/5th the time it'd take to present in video, I don't want to back your project.

People still do them so there must be an audience but I have no idea why.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There's definitely some value in videos of actual gameplay or getting video reviewers to take a look at your game if it's in sufficiently finalized state. Although I only look at those if I'm on the fence. But pitch videos? nah.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So how big is Gloomhaven compared to Ogre, as giant Kickstarter board game boxes go? I need better storage solutions...

Much more compact, not as big overall (but definitely my second biggest). But yes, taller for sure. That picture above gives a general idea but I feel like the perspective short sells just how monstrous the Ogre box is.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Gloomhaven's first printing was either $64 for no minis or $80 for character minis. That was probably a meaningful undercost just on the current version. I don't know what kind of money would have to be charged to replace the cardboard standees for everything with minis, but I'm pretty darn sure you wouldn't be looking at $140 or even $160 anymore for retail and that's already a very steep pricetag for a lot of boardgamers. (A hell of a value, in this case, don't get me wrong, but over 50% more than the vast majority of hobby boardgames cost even at the high end is a tough sell.)

But also, you see how big that box is? It's already pretty much a storage nightmare. Now picture replacing hundreds of skinny little pieces of cardboard with 3d sculptures.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, part of winning in Vast is doing your best to forestall someone else's victory, which every role has tools to do to at least one other role.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Anyone backing the Folklore reprint? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-affliction-2nd-printing

I want to because it seems like a pretty heavy dungeon crawl / RPG like game, and because the minis seem to be good value. I think all of the addons are not worth it though (beyond the $150 pledge level)

I hadn't heard of it but clicking through...I dunno. My feeling is that just a little bit more money would get you Gloomhaven, which checks most of the boxes that game appears to be trying for (minus the gothic flavor of the setting, so if that's crucial to the appeal, fair enough) but does so without dice, with a much more original and tactically robust combat system, and with more character options and substantially more character asymmetry, and it looks like around 3-4x as many scenarios not including the random dungeon generation system that Gloomhaven also offers.

I'm sure they don't scratch precisely the same itches, but there's enough overlap that I don't think I'm in the market for Folklore while I still have probably half or more of Gloomhaven's campaign to play through. (And that after 9 months with the game.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vehementi posted:

I have gloomhaven and actually its KS was cheaper ($100 USD, including shipping, leaving ridiculous amounts of money on the table).

Your analysis sounds pretty good... but I am willing to pay for 'different'. And I do like dice rolling, and more minis to add to my RPG minis collection anyway...

Oh, I paid $64 for my copy. But I'm talking what you'd pay going forward, since both Kickstarters for it are water under the bridge now. And I'm willing to pay for different, but to me the differences are mostly directly unfavorable and the theme isn't really a big enough departure to justify putting money down on it while its direct competition is still hitting the table. If I were done with Gloomhaven, which, since there's been talk of an expansion, may never happen, then sure, Folklore would be real tempting.

Of course, personally I don't like dice or minis, I just like a style of game that always seems to get saddled with them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Henker posted:

I'm backing it at the $60 level (which comes with standees instead of minis) right now, on the fence about going to a higher tier. The minis are cool I don't think they're necessary. Since someone else in this thread is comparing it to Gloomhaven - from what I've heard Gloomhaven does combat better (if you hate dice-rolling) but Folklore does storytelling and worldbuilding better. I feel like this game is going more for "RPG campaign in a box" instead of a combat-oriented dungeon crawler.

For me the big seller is the gothic theme; I love gothic horror and it's my favorite genre by an order of magnitude. Honestly I'm turned off by Gloomhaven's "generic fantasy but with weird crystal-headed guys to mix things up" theme.

I mean I wouldn't describe Gloomhaven as generic fantasy, but to each their own. I didn't see any evidence from that page that Folklore was doing anything Gloomhaven doesn't in terms of storytelling or worldbuilding - it also has narrative event cards with binary choices, narrative context for every campaign scenario (which IMO is quite well written), and periodic points where your choice of scenario leads to significantly different outcomes and some branching scenario paths. But I haven't played Folklore or done a deep dive so it's possible I'm missing something.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just got my Fragged PDFs from the most recent Kickstarter - all the old Fragged Empire stuff plus the three new games. Sounds like the physical books will be going to the printer soon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

I got emails for everything except the core rule book pdf. Waiting a few days to see if that comes through before bothering Wade.

I got two emails for that one. Weird.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It's really bizarre to think that board game design is your big ticket to riches.

Not that bizarre, really. There have been some extremely profitable boardgames. I mean I don't know how much the Kingdom Death guy actually took home given that production costs on that are no doubt high, but even like 20% of 15+ million bucks would still be a shitload of cash. And it looks easy, from the outside.

The idea that whatever incoherent nonsense they're spewing will make that kind of money is pretty insane, though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

There are definitely success stories, but it's like looking at JK Rowling and saying "Woah, writers make bank". Except the Kingdom Death guy is the JK Rowling of boardgame kickstarters and his profits must be in the single digit millions at best.

And people do that sort of thing all the time. I never said it was a sensible takeaway, after all. Just common in its ignorance.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm guessing probably most of those themed Monopolies are produced under an agreement with Hasbro. If not actually by Hasbro.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got my limited edition signed Alas Vegas hardcover and discount third edition copy of Baron Munchausen. It's finally over! (And to be clear, it's rad and while the wait was not ideal I have no complaints about the result.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got my copy of Kitchen Rush. It is indeed pretty fun as advertised and quite challenging. Definitely a much better buy than Wok Star.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Maybe. I think Fate Core was the very first ever-ballooning RPG project.

Did they ever deliver everything? I swear we're still waiting on like, one or two books. Same with Dungeon World, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Darkest Night Second Edition shipping! Should be getting my copy Saturday. Only a little under a year late mainly due to the minis they didn't need. -sigh-

Oh well. It's still a rad game.