Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I posted this in the last thread, and I kind of wanted to talk about it. Apparently, the guy who makes this same is a believer in the ancient aliens conspiracy. This is weird to me, because despite a love of all that good conspiracy weirdness, I don't believe any of that crazy poo poo. The game looks interesting, but not perfect or anything, and I'm tempted to pledge a bit, but I don't know, I feel weird pledging to a Kickstarter for a game this guy thinks is based on reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

This is an interesting idea: an RPG where players can't talk.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Lotus Dimension is a game about nonviolent solution solving based on the eight fold noble path of Buddhism. An interesting idea, but the art, or lack there of, is a bit irritating.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, this looks very D&D but DIFFERENT if you read the FAQ.

Put it in the heartbreaker pile.

Wait, how is it like D&D?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The famous Swedish RPG Trudvang Chronicles is finally getting an english translation! It looks loving beautiful, and sounds like a fairly good amount of things for the amount pledged.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Trudvang Chronicles is flying through stretch goals, and has already added another book. According to the creators, the books should be between 150ish to 100 pages each, depending on how the stretch goals go.
Edit: Also, they wrote up a short rules summary here.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

A remake of the Siege of the Citadel board game is up on Kickstarter. Looks pretty cool, especially if you're into mutant chronicles or warzone resurrection.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Sort of want something like this but based on the Ramayana and Upanishads. Definitely listening if you review it Ross.

Clarification: a world book not a card game.
Here you go!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

HOLY :neckbeard: this looks like exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks!
It's pretty good, to be honest. It's clear that I a lot of love went into it, and it addresses much of Indian mythology and religious history from an insider perspective. I have the PDF of the campaign options as well, and, while it doesn't add too much, it addresses some minor concerns about the system and setting fairly well. I also have a physical copy, and while the printing is poo poo, everything else works so well, and it's so small and portable, so I would suggest getting that if you have any interest in getting the game. The best endorsement I can give for it is how, when I presented it to my professor on Dharma religions, he asked to borrow it, having never played an RPG, because he found it so fun and well done.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

What do you guys think of this Era: The Consortium game? They seem to be putting stuff on Kickstarter a lot, and they certainly are supporting their product, but man, that's a lot of expansions that they may never get to do. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, I am increasingly liking the setting they seem to be creating the more I find out about it, but I don't know what I think of the mechanics.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

There's an Kickstarter up for a Powder Mage Roleplaying Game, based on a popular fantasy book series that takes more from Colonial America than medieval Europe. It uses Savage Worlds.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is by the same folks who did Mutant: Year Zero, and the beta document will be out for Christmas. The base setting is suburban Sweden, but they're close to unlocking a US-based campaign as a stretch goal.
I kind of love this trend in tabletop games of making games off of art series. First Scythe, now this. Backed.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

This Shintiara RPG looks weird. I cannot decide whether 20 years of thought is a big good sign or red flag.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

So it looks like Metamorphosis Alpha has swung back into the "in trouble" category; at the start of November Jamie Chambers said that all the books have shipped and that at this point everyone should have their hardcopies, and if you didn't to contact him. So people who didn't get their books contacted him as asked.

Then last week he posted another update saying that everyone has gottne their books, only there's quite a few people in the comments who're saying they still haven't received anything and haven't heard back from when they contacted him the last time, and Jamie isn't replying to comments.

Dammit, Jamie, you were so close!
How are the rules on that? I had been looking at that game. It's a shame Jamie had to be lame at crunch time.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I love me some Bronze age Roleplaying, and I love FATE, so I can't help but be intrigued by this. That said, it honestly looks pretty :effort:.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

Guy says he has the whole thing written already and is only Kickstarting for art and layout. It might be a bit bare bones but it honestly looks like the guy has all his ducks in a row and is trying not to extend himself too far for his first Kickstarter.
Fair point. Backed.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Are the Other Side Figures Malifaux legal, or will they be entirely different games?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'm backing it too. It looks a bit more rules lite than I'm used to, and I'm a bit concerned with how much you can do with the same story over and over, but still, I love me some Buddhist folklore rpgs.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

There a Kickstarter up for an Elite Dangerous RPG. Looks pretty well put together, though maybe a bit too hopeful? I don't know much about it, but I like the idea of game studios creating official RPGs for their games.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So Twilight of the Gods is entering its final day. Any thoughts on it?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Tab Creations, makers of Against the Dark Yogi and Shadows over Sol, have a Kickstarter for their new game, Dime Adventures. I have really loved all their other games, so I may be up backing this, but I feel like the alternate early 20th century is fairly over done. That said, they do find ways to put creative spins on all their products.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Shut up and sit down did a great review of it here, but in summary, it is really fun, with some amazing systems, but the missions are a bit repetitive and there isn't much of a story to what you're doing, which kind of sucks for the long term play.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So Cold Shadows is doing pretty well. What does everyone think of it? I don't know if I think that a espionage game with all the characters having control of the narrative would work. Wouldn't an overarching conspiracy be impossible, and nonplayer characters have problems with having consistent motivations?

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 13, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Riotminds, creators of Trudvang Chronicles, have put up a translation of their other big roleplaying game, Gotterdammerung, on Kickstarter, under the name Lex Ocultum. It's a really interesting idea. All the secret societies and occult stuff of the 18th and 19th centuries? It was true, and you are the people that had to fight the gently caress ups of the ignorant nobility who dabbled in that which man should not know. In a way, it is similar to Call of Cthulhu, and it uses the BRP system, but it is based more heavily in the Enlightenment, with more of a Templars fighting in the background rather than random people swept into the conflict, at least as far I can tell.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Do you all remember Alternity? Home to all sorts of sci-fi goodness that only TSR could make? Well there's a New Edition on Kickstarter! Yaaay! It also looks somewhat sketchy and doesn't say anything about the Star*Drive or Dark Matter settings. Boo!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Switching to actual good RPGs, is anyone backing the Faith Core Rules? I've been interested in the world, but the board gamey-ness of the first edition turned me off. Really thinking of backing this.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

For Unknown Armies 3e, did they keep the weird photoshopped, filtered art everywhere, or is there more variety and traditional art?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

A Kickstarter for a new miniatures game, The Drowned Earth, is up. It looks cool, an interesting idea, and a cool take on the bloat of post-apocalyptic miniatures games.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

This cyberpunk RPG, Axon Punk: Overdrive, seems to be getting some positive press. It seems to be attempting to add hip-hop and rap culture to the classic cyberpunk formula. I don't know what I think about it, but the Quick Start on Drivethrurpg has recommended rap artists to go with each class, which is a wonderful bit of characterization. It could be an interesting take on the genre that gives a new spin on it, or it could be another generic cyberpunk game.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Well gently caress. While looking for the Eclipse Phase Second edition I saw this game, Sigil and Sign, Lovecraft mythos game where you are the cultists. I have literally always wanted that game, and it finally exists. My wallet is gonna take a pounding. May have to say goodbye to my Talislanta pledge.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

obviously I hosed it posted:

Newp, it does not run on his.

It's the 2.0 version of it.
You can have a look at the cards on the KS page and see.
Okay, I was excited until the rules were pointed out as well. Can you explain for me how ANY version of this rule system could properly do this setting and do good campaign play? It seems like a glorified board game; little say in character creation, gimmicky cards that handle too many things, and no room for much character growth. I was legitimately interested, so I legitimately want to know why you are excited.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Anyone backing Western? It looks good, but combat may take forever.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Is this just Aces & Eights
It seems to have a similar resolution mechanic, just without the cards. I mean, the arts great, and while I shouldn't necessarily be impressed by awards they're presenting, it seems super legit.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The Lost Citadel just got funded. I can't decide what I think. The setting sounds a little generic honestly, but they have a bunch of well qualified people and horror writers trying to flesh it out and make it interesting, which could make it worth it in my mind.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

This game Clink is interesting. All resolution is done using coins, and characters are continually having flashbacks to develop their back stories. It's pretty cheap, so it might be worth it. Also, it has a draft available to see its mechanics.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Samyaza is a Cyber-fantasy RPG on Kickstarter. It's interesting, I like the art and idea, and there's clear enthusiasm, but not as much information as I'd like. Hopefully it turns out to be something interesting.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Anyone else in here back Planet Mercenary? Or, for that matter, read Schlock Mercenary?

As someone who ain't gonna get a group together for the thing, I certainly plan to enjoy reading it.
I was interested in it too, if only because it was this whole thing that I just seemed to miss for a decade. That, and the game seems genuinely silly and fun.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Got the book for the Ki Khanga kickstarter last night. I assumed it was going to be a Dungeon World sized book but it's full sized.

Oooo I really wanted that, but couldn't back it at the time. What are your first impressions?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

It looks terrible, and I kind of want it in spite (because of?) it's terribleness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hadn't seen this mentioned but apparently Pinnacle is going to revive Doomtown via Kickstarter starting on the 5th. Sounds like they're revamping the game a bit;

Doomtown: Reloaded is a poker-driven territory control card game, based on the 1998 Origins Awards Best Trading Card Game, Deadlands: Doomtown!

Now you can harness the power of Ezekiah Grimme (Famine), Raven (War), Darius Hellstromme (Pestilence), or Jasper Stone (Death). Beware though, such power always comes at a cost as Legends trade starting wealth in exchange power. You now have the option to attach a Servitor to your Outfit’s home in order to enable far-reaching strategies.
Where's your source for this? Huge Doomtown fan.