Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The root cause analysis is an interesting multifaceted piece. It's a combination of spending shifting from services to goods, which is increasing demand.

Then ports in China and the US are bottlenecking due to a combination of covid restrictions reducing their throughput and demand increasing.

This in turn is causing boats to be late, which means physical containers that you load things in are spending more time in the supply chain rather than at either end. Additionally, boats are leaving the US and heading back to China without full loads of empty containers because the physical containers are stuck in the supply chain

This is causing a shortage of physical containers to load onto boats in China (as well as less boats available, because they are spending more time at sea due to the port bottlenecks).

Why don't they make more physical containers you ask? It turns out that because manufacturing is dead in most places, almost all physical containers are made in China, and the Chinese container manufacturers don't want to make more containers.

So demand has spiked, which combined with covid has caused supply of boats and Containers to go on boats to drop, which has caused the price to sky-rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

In summary: PG have failed to understand that what they're trying to do involves a paradigm shift.

To be clear, I was responding to First Aid Kites question about shipping prices, the intervening post was made while I was typing.

Petersen games are being idiots yeah.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The writing has been on the wall for not charging shipping in the pledge manager just before you ship for literally years now. You've gotta do it as close to the point of incurring the expense as you can.

It's not a good situation but anyone getting surprised by this now has not been paying attention.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think the solo game with the best difficulty sliders are Spirit Island and For Science! Which has a plethora of difficulty adjustments in the rulebook. Eric is obviously a fan of that sort of thing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I've been banging this particular drum for the better part of a year now, but for indie TRPG publishers in particular (board game designers don't really have this luxury), I really cannot stress enough that you want to be real, real wary of giving in to the urge to do hardcopy print runs unless you are unquestionably sure that you can withstand the costs of production and shipping going up substantially between when your project funds and when it's finished. I know a lot of people hate pdf-only projects but to be blunt, I think casually agreeing to do a hardcopy print run these days verges on the irresponsible.

What's the view on giving people an at cost print on demand voucher? That seems to circumvent the risk for both parties.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

djfooboo posted:

Thanks for talking me off the ledge goons.

Just to double down: 100% of Steam forge games have been absolutely dog poo poo and had disastrous fulfilment with hugely expensive shipping. Given the track record, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kerro posted:

Yeah, Gloomhaven first printing was the first game I ever kickstarted and I don't think anything else has come close in terms of value for money or how much it fit my taste as a player.

The only other game I've backed that was KS exclusive and I've felt was 100% worth the risk in the end was Aeon Trespass which like GH original printing is both a great game and insane value for money.

I was on the fence so I made a PnP of the play test kit they had and that made me buy it. So good.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

To me it's pretty conclusive they are using AI art. If you're not using AI art it's a zero cost win to say 'this product does not include AI art' that creates marketplace differentiation with the people who are anti AI art, but I doubt anyone is making a decision not to ourchase your product because it doesn't include AI art.

Why would you not say that when asked unless you were currently using or plan to use AI art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

If you read the Steamforged update, it sure seems to indicate that Blacklist misrepresented/omitted a lot of pertinent facts prior to the acquisition and that caused Steamforged far more problems initially in fulfilling than they'd hoped to face.

Steamforge are absolute morons if they didn't do their due diligence when acquiring a company that appeared to be running a plastic ponzi scheme lol