Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In their alternate reality it is "Tits out for Harambe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Could someone who kickstarted Scythe give me their initial impressions of it? They have a second printing coming up soon, and I am considering getting it. I think I would prefer a Goon opinion as opposed to BGG, that audience can be, well, a bit weird.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't Kickstart it, but I played a Kickstarted copy. I thought it was pretty eh. There was just no sense of excitement or buildup or tension. It didn't even really feel like there was much interaction or competition, especially when the first 20-25% of the game necessitates that people kinda stick to their own, surprisingly ample corners. There wasn't really that much competition for resources or hexes, since you can only produce on 2-3 hexes, so all your dudes are on 2-3 hexes. It was a dudes on a map game where I didn't really feel incentivized to go anywhere on the map. I think literally the most sought after resource were the encounters.

Component quality is tops, though.

That is good to know. The whole game really, really reminds me of the second newbie zone in World of Warcraft, I think it was called Westfall. What with the big mechs and farming and whatnot.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The huge box of miniatures game, Conan, will be shipping soon, almost a year late, but that is not too bad I guess. I will update all you fine folks on the quality of the miniatures and perhaps the game when it arrives. So far I have been disappointed with my first big box of miniatures purchase, Shadows of Brimstone. SoB was late, and I did not realize that they would create other products and expansions before completing on all the items promised in their kickstarter. They offered to expedite shipping, and send some half parcels, but I didn't really want to pay more. To be honest I was also disappointed in the SoB miniature quality. If anyone picked up some of their newer releases, or paid for wave 1.5 shipping, could you let me know if the miniature quality improved at all?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That Chtulhu Xenomorph game, Deep Madness, is certainly not shy about using near identical likenesses of famous characters. Take the "Quartermaster" for example:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

thegodofchuck posted:

Whereabouts are you? I went allll in on this one myself (even went in on the RPG for the extra board game goodness), hoping to see an arrival soon.

I received my Conan last week and I live in rural Oregon. I was not as impressed with the minis as the previous backer above, but I can see how that could be a personal taste thing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

The Mega Man Pixel Tactics Kickstarter just added a handful of social media locked stretch goal cards.

Just go Like their page to contribute to the unlocks!

My Son is a super huge Mega Man fan, so I backed this for him, kind of as a Holiday present, and so he can experience the, uh, wonders of Kickstarter. Is the game actually any good? I picked up some other actually released pixel tactics for him to learn first and have something on the actual present opening day.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have never come across a pile of poop so interesting I have to stop and investigate it. Am I living my life wrong?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

"But as so often happens, the poop rolled together , and two became one. A turd merger. Fused together by fear and hatred and hair.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Shipping not available outside the US due to international treaty, sorry!

Actually, that project was pledged to Japan, but the backers requested the delivery be cancelled.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

rchandra posted:

It was actually a joke about an experiment that didn't go so well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

The "Demon Core" was used as an experimental device after the primary purpose of its construction was rendered useless. Japan had surrendered and there was no further need to utilize the "Demon Core" in follow up nuclear attacks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For those of you looking for the Gloomhaven reprint Kickstarter today (Like I was) I found this from the creator on BGG:

"This new Kickstarter is happening faster than the scale I am used to for these sorts of things, so we've had to adjust and adapt as we figure things out. I know I have said various dates in the past (and even made a typo in the latest newsletter that implied it might be starting today - sorry about that), but I am now announcing that the launch date for the Kickstarter will be a week from today, April 4 at noon EST. This will not change.

In addition to the second printing of the game, the Kickstarter will also include options for current owners of the game to purchase sets of HP/EXP dials and new versions of the rule book and scenario book (free PDFs of both will also be provided for those who don't want to pay for printed versions). A printed version of the solo scenarios and solo items will also be available, as well as separate sets of standees and minis for the characters.

The Meeple Realty insert and the removable stickers made by Sinister Fish will not be part of the Kickstarter, as those are separate companies and their products are already available to order.

And if you weren't already aware, I am going to be running a really cool community-driven mini-campaign during the Kickstarter, so you should definitely come and check it out on the first day to get in on that action."

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

This cool table project is up for those who always wanted a secret nerd table, but lack the power tools and carpentry skills to DIY

Thanks for the link. I really like these tables. I do wish they had some more felt color options though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

7th Continent's 2nd edition/reprint is on KS as of today. I'm interested but will not likely be backing due to the price and time involved in actually playing it.

Is that time the max time a game can take, like running the longest of options/scenarios, or is that more like for every game?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Fear of missing out is a hell of a thing.

I think that is exactly what many Kickstarter creators are banking on to get people to pledge at higher levels. No one wants to buy a new game and have it be "incomplete" .

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I wish BGG would not allow reviews of unreleased games.... Seems that would be an easy fix.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc?ref=nav_search

Look at that goddamn $65 dragon. It's beautiful. There is zero chance of me backing this but if I were more of a committed fantasy TT RP'er I would want that thing so much.

I'd be surprised if this one doesn't clear 2 million.

That game certainly seems to be a huge box of miniatures. I picked up Conan but was just a little disappointed with quality. Wonder what this one will end up like.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I've got Conan and was pretty happy with the quality - in particular, the minis are a hard plastic. There's the odd bendy-weapon, but they're fixable with the hot water trick. More importantly, the game seems pretty solid, albeit the first scenario is surprisingly hard. Was there anything in particular you didn't like?

I am sorry, I meant to say Shadows of Brimstone. (I buy too many minis) . Conan seemed to be fine, but it was SoB that I was disappointed in.the starter set minis seemed to be less quality than the stuff that eventually came later.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

You know, I don't think I ever received my second shipment from them (SoB). Is that still going out or should I be concerned?

I received a second shipment a while ago, so you may want to drop them a line. It seemed to get really messy with the extra shipments, the pay for an extra extra shipment, the delay, etc.... If you are not in the US, it seems reasonable that your stuff has not arrived yet, but if you are in the states I think you should have your stuff by now.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

You know, I'd probably play the hell out of something like that.

1960: Making the President is a fun board game about the presidential election, so that might be worth looking at.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27708/1960-making-president

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought Up Front! ended with the kickstarter creator getting sued and using all the money he raised for the kickstarter to pay the debt for the case? Or something like that? Then someone else picked up Up Front! as a pay for print deal?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anniversary posted:

Yeah, that's where it got real uncomfortable. And weird. Does he think residential electrical outlets are fatal?

I mean, I'm sure they can be situationally.

They most certainly can be fatal. Roughly 25% of all deaths by electrocution in the professional world occur at a voltage of 120v. I would imagine most non work related deaths due to electrical shock would occur at 120v. If we make a conservative estimate that lowest case body resistance is 300 ohms, then the threshold of lethal voltage is about 30 volts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Also the majority of the world runs at 220-240v, not that this guy is likely to know though

My statistics are based around work that occurs in the US. I should have been more clear in my post. I have no statistics readily available from other countries. But, I would imagine the amount of fatalities due to 120v range shocks is probably relatively low due to the lack of 120v applications.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am so confused here.....
1. The rulebook was in a foreign language.
2. We paid someone to translate it.
3. ?????
4. We put up a rulebook that was completely plagirazed.

So, uh, what happened? Even if the freelancer plagirized another work and did no translation, the company does not have a single English speaking person to review the work? Either they are incompetent or immoral. Or both.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I always ensure that I have faces strapped to my thighs to accentuate them

I misread faces as feces and had to go back to look at the minis.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone e else order "The Table of Ultimate Gaming"? I did and am not pleased with their delivery. Wonder if any goons who ordered it had actually received theirs yet and could give a review. A negative review was left on their Facebook page so they deleted the reviews section.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Brain Curry posted:

I ordered one a few weeks ago but haven’t gotten it yet. What were the issues?

For the American backers the distribution company they chose has accidently sent out extra boxes/parts to some backers, therefore some backers don't have a table in this shipment anymore and will have to wait for another container ship on the next production run. But the company doesn't know who those backers will be, they don't know the status of any of the containers they have at the docks, and they had problems with some parts of the table, so the decorations and table tops are being sent later, at some future time. Just a pure gently caress up.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972632882/table-of-ultimate-gaming-the-ultimate-game-table-s/posts/2230842

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Bee Lives has funded! This is so exciting as my first kickstarter!

Time to hit those stretch goals!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

I just backed this, it looks neat. I am not super into bees myself, but my ex wife is, so this looks like it will make for a good gift for our son to give her.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I do think that I am going to have to back Americana. I don't think I have ever backed a project with the top tier option before, seems like this would be a good one to start with.

*Edit*

Pulled the trigger on it. Is Dire Penguin an available species?

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2018

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just got my yearbook portrait for Americana and I think it was very nicely done! It looks like they would prefer we don't share em until they are all done, but when they are I will link mine!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is the wonderful portrait from Americana!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My box of many 15mm French miniatures has supposedly arrived. The Joan of Arc 15mm mini game. Will give a mini trip report on the contents tomorrow. Anyone else back this?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My trip report on Joan of Arc is delayed a bit. It turns out that the game has about a million components, and I did not even go all in. This game is most definitely not a quick set up game; looking like it might take Arkham Horror levels of time. First impressions are :

-Character cards are nice and very large. They seem to add a lot of character to the unique characters and makes it easy to find them compared to regular units.
-Unit cards are nice enough.
-Cardboard terrain pieces are thick and nice, with a decent amount of variety.
-Miniature quality seems really quite good for the human sized units, and degrades slightly as you increase in size. I do not have the Dragon, but "The beast" 6 headed manticore thing or whatever seems nice, but, maybe like a bit soft/blurred if that makes sense?
-Rule book and scenario book are nice.
-The miniatures for the houses and churches are really nice. Probably the highlight of the set. Looking forward to seeing more buildings in wave 2.
-A lot of the generic units, such as archers and men at arms are not nation specific. This reduces the amount of miniatures you need, but if you plan on painting them, be careful not to paint them in a way to make them married to one faction, or it might be difficult to tell them apart. The game does come with colored base things that attach to the bases to help with this though.

Seems like a lot of bang for the buck, will report on how the game actually plays or feels shortly. But, it is a chore to get going.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They did a very nice job with the original Kickstarter for the game. Would hope that this is just as nice. My son really enjoys Shovel Knight, so I will have to look into it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it just me or have mid campaign slumps become longer and slumpier than they were a few years ago? I know campaigns have always made like 70% of their take at the beginning and end, but now it feels like it's often 90% or more. Maybe everyone who still uses kickstarter is just highly aware of what projects are launching and ending on kickstarter.

I know that I am suffering a lot of kickstarter fatigue, so anytime I want something I just click the remind me button and see if it still holds my interest when it nears closing. They almost never do. Especially if the game is likely to only ever be sold through the kickstarter. That is buying into a dead scene.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also got my bee games. A copy for myself and a copy for my son's mother, who has bees. Component quality is extremely nice. Very impressed. Can't wait to get it on the table.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think maybe a lot of companies are using Kickstarter even though they don't need to is because KS seems (at least to me) to be a prime place for board game shopping now. Board games also seem to be one of the products with a proven track record, especially compared to video games or furniture or electronics. Even now, if I am board game shopping I will just hop onto KS to see what is coming up. So perhaps CMON doesn't need to use it, but there is a big market there, and I can't blame them for that, per say. Although I really dislike CMON and a lot of their practices.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the biggest disasters are board game adjacent, such as board game tables and furniture, which never seem to go nearly as well as planned. For board games themselves that blew up, the "biggest" one I can think of off the top of my head was the campaign to reprint the WWII card game "Up Front". As far as I can remember the project creator ran a big campaign, got lots of positive attention, but then was sued for some sort of copyright infringement and lost all the backers funds to that. I am sure there must be others too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think there is an RPG that is the go to case for failed KSs as well. I think it was titled "Old West" or "Far Far West". I think it has come up in this thread before even.