Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I unjokingly would really like to see Star Wars run with Spirit of '77, but I'm perhaps unique in that.

There's a special scenario we give out to people running games at conventions that's basically Galaxy Quest meets Point Break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Hey KS thread.

A friend of mine just launched a kickstarter for his storygame Home by Dark. It's a simple game that's inspired by things like The Goonies, E.T. and Stranger Things.

I played it and it's got a fun dice mechanic for creating these types of stories.

https://goo.gl/M9QvT3

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

Looks like Unseenlibrarian beat me to it but yeah David has a new game. I wasn't involved in this one (other than as a source of encouragement) because it's just not my bag, but he's been working on it for awhile and has really done a great job. You can expect the same level of management of this KS as the So77 one, so it will ship on time etc.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

There was something poasted in this thread that was described as "Stranger Things the tabletop game" but I can't recall its name. I need it now more than ever since it might be the only way to get my group to play something that isn't D&D 5e.

Home by Dark

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Reselling bones makes sense, the value of the boxes is so crazy there's probably no risk. I've directed friends who missed the first one to grab it off eBay, even at 100% markup it's still a good deal.
But I see a lot of other mini board games show up in the bargain bin after they launch for the same or less than the KS price, so it seems like a risk for other properties.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Monkey Fun is doing a new Kickstarter.

"It's a Nordic Horror story game inspired by dark Scandinavian dramas like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", coupled with isolation horror such as "The Thing", and "Thirty Days of Night".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/a-town-called-malice-a-nordic-horror-story-game

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

This is either a scam, or some Blizzard big wig's pet/vanity project (which doesn't preclude it from being a scam).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

As someone who loves WoW... Who is this for?

Like this has to be a scam. I don't see how Blizzard would do anything KS related - especially with how Design By Committee they are these days

I worked in the Blizzard Licensed Product group years ago, I don't believe this is a legit Blizzard authorized product, it's at best somebody who doesn't know anything about licensing (like the guy who did that Pokémon kickstarter without authorization) or somebody with a lovely scam.
Nothing on that page or the video actually includes the Blizzard or Blizzard Licensed product logos, which they're pretty strict about indicating on anything associated with their IP. Their "In association with Blizzard Entertainment" probably translates to "I showed it to my brother-in-law who works there".
Like I said it's possible it's somebody at the companies vanity project, it wasn't unheard of for us to get the directive "Senior VP of Transgenic-synergy-market-analysis wants a Tauren Halloween mask, make it happen", or "Paul Sams had lunch with this guy who makes pool floats and wants us to work with them", but even then we were required to follow standards on branding.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Everything about this stinks.

I dropped quick line to my old boss and apparently this is legit, and there will be official marketing announcement soon.

I told him he should have somebody proofread that KS page before that since it reads like it was designed by a crazy person.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

My friend runs multiple game kickstarters every year and the shipping prices hit him really hard this year. He had to suck up a lot of additional costs, but he's a pro and has contingencies in place, I can imagine inexperienced kickstarters are going to get bit in the rear end pretty hard.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

This is hilarious, and speaks volumes to the quality control of current Blizzard if garbage like this is getting promoted.
Like man I have an idea for a WoW related game, and I should just shoot my shot if poo poo like this is getting through.

I don't know what it's like these days but when I worked there being in licensed products was a huge pain in the rear end. We were constantly told that everything we released had to be "Epic Blizzard Quality" but at the same time we were regularly saddled with partners who didn't give a poo poo and were just trying to latch onto the brand for a quick buck.
For every Sideshow Collectibles, McFarlane toys or Jinx Apparel there was a Ruby's Halloween Costumes, Northwest Apparel or Figure Prints.
The game teams gave no support because "an artist spent 6 hours making a sparkle pony and it netted us 27 million dollars yesterday, why should we devote resources to your project that only makes one million a year?" but suddenly got all uppity when we released something cool that got too much attention.

I still suspect this gamevault thing is some vanity project, but they're about 12 years too late for the days of people lining up to buy anything with the WoW logo on it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I wonder if there's a weird nepotism/know-a-guy angle given that the ostensible creators of this are 40 minutes from Irvine, going off their airplane hangar address.

That’s what I mean by vanity project; “My brother-in-law has this great idea for a game, we’re going to give his company, that I own a stake in, the license so he can make it.”

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

They should have made it about the corrupted blood people got in Zul'Gurub and spread to the general populace. That was a literal digital pandemic and was even studded by the CDC.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

When I worked in Blizzard licensing they didn’t require up front fees or minimum guarantees. The early licensors made buckets of money. I have no idea if that’s changed in the last ten years.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

InternetJunky posted:

That's kind of eye opening. I always just assumed there was always going to be a huge upfront cost for high value IPs.

The philosophy at Blizzard at the time (this was when WoW was at it's height and making unimaginable amounts of money) was that they wanted cool schwag from quality companies more than licensing dollars. The licensing and product development team basically paid for itself but didn't make much more than that. We reported up to Metzen, and he shielded us from a lot of the Activision bullshit, but now that he's gone I'm sure the accountants have taken over.

Now I work on the licensor side with multiple AAA IPs, and we have minimum guarantees with them all, so Blizzard was an anomaly.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

Jamey's openness about tabletop business and dollars is one of the most valuable things to come out of SG's success, especially stuff like nitty gritty about how much art costs and such.

https://stonemaiergames.com/exactly-how-much-does-a-kickstarter-campaign-cost/

Anyone wanting to run a tabletop kickstarter should first read every blog post from Stonemeir games. I avoided a lot of mistakes and pitfalls because I read about them first.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Akora TCG アコラカード
An original Trading Card game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/akora-tcg/akora-tcg

Just launched.
$69,252
89 Backers
11 Comments

What am I missing here? There's 40+ backers at the ~1000$ point.
Are there that many gullible people that think this is the next big thing? or is this some sort of money laundering thing?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Desfore posted:

Didn't it come to light during the canal crisis that it's not that uncommon for boats to get stuck and refloated, but somehow the severity and location of the Ever Given blockage that made it a huge effort?

Yeah a couple boats have been stuck since the Ever Given, but it's been in wider parts of the canal where it doesn't disrupt shipping. The Ever Given was wedged sideways in the narrowest part of the canal and completely blocked all traffic.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Most people I know will play just about any game someone is willing to run for them, because there are a lot more eager players than eager GMs.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

But can I still shop at Uncle Al Auto and Gunnery Shop?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I could see an advantage to running a 30 day kickstarter on Feb 1st. Since Feb is a 28/29 day month and many people get paid on the 1st/last of the month you would cover two paydays .

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

homullus posted:

The thing is, moves are supposed to be driven by what the players do in the fiction. If the fighter steps on the trap and says "I brace for impact with my shield" and the GM says "ok roll +INT to figure out the correct angle on the fly" then that's cool for your group, but not RAW.

I'm totally going to play mathematician fighter now, constantly computing angles of attack and deflection like some sort of bloody minded snooker player.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Maybe they drunk ordered 100 small pizza boxes, and decided the best way to dispose of them was to kickstart a game.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

What is even left for Reaper to convert to Bones?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Also, I wonder if "crowdfunding" could be said to apply to continual Patreon supported game systems like One Page Rules and Archvillian Games. These are mostly files for 3D printers, but maybe there are ones for table top RPGs? I have no expertise on these; I just know them by osmosis since they are referenced by and/or sponsor some trad gaming youtubers.

A separate tabletop related patreon thread might be a good idea. They cross over into just about every aspect of the hobby so I don't think they really fit anywhere that already exists.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I backed Blade Runner because it looks like a cool artifact with nice art and stuff. I never intend to play it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Kickstarter for Mutants in the Next is live... Now!

With Sophie Campbell and Fábio Fontes illustrating, Will Jobst editing, and creators like Crystal Fraiser, Darren M. A. Calvert, and Ewen Cluney lined up as stretch goals, take a look! Both Mutants in the Now and Mutants in the Next will be available as part of the Kickstarter, and there'll be furred fish, hellbenders, pro wrestling, and so much more. With the core established, I can start getting more wild with ideas, and I hope you'll join up.

Backed!
I missed the first campaign, so I'm glad there was an option to get both books.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Return to Dark Tower, not to be confused with Reincarnated Dark Tower.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devillich/original-adventures-reincarnated-7-the-dark-tower?ref=user_menu

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Mirage posted:

This is entirely me playing devil's advocate, but: the whole concept behind crypto is that it doesn't have an "issuing party." This "FundCoin" or whatever Kickstarter is creating would exist outside of KS and continue to hold value even if KS itself went under, as long as other entities used it too. Which is kind of the rub, really.

Also since crypto isn't backed by government securities, one coin would have the same value no matter what country you're in, which makes receiving international funds a non-issue.

The downside, of course, is that it's yet another drat cryptocurrency with all their myriad problems.

If it was independent from KS, then why would KS invest in developing it? Where are they making their money? I mean other than using the project as a way to get investors to waste their money on the current buzzword.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

This is what every blockchain startup struggles with but ESPECIALLY Kickstarter. Their model is already proven! There’s no need to improve on it unless they are adding Backerkit-style post campaign support.

There's a card game called Burn Rate that's about the dot com bubble, there's no way to win it's just about being the last company to lose. I really want to make a game like that about Web3 and then Kickstart it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Your blue
Kickstarted
Jesus

Pretty sure that's force ghost Jesus