Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, Kevin Crawford's stuff is unfortunately a bit samey in the way that OSR stuff tends to be after a while but he's probably one of the most reliable and professional publishers working today.

I would say without a doubt that he is the single best one person operation in RPGs and better then many small publishers in terms of output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bieeardo posted:

I just saw Ken Hite retweet someone using Invisible Sun's price point being less than some of their bar tabs as an incentive to buy it.

I mean, RPGs are a pretty cheap hobby and if five people buy this and play it for say 20 hours that's cheaper then getting the newest Call of Duty. Especially if you are a game designer I'd imagine you'd be happy to see a product like this take off.
Now this specific game seems bad at half the cost, but potentially I would consider buying a game for this much.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Inheritance is Luke Crane's latest project. He's not pretending to be a wizard, but it seems really weird. It needs exactly nine players and a gm and two seperate rooms. The mechanics are all a mystery because they would be spoilers. It reminds me of one of those murder mystery game nights but with a GM and Anglo Saxons.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nuns with Guns posted:

The pictures for sad children kickstarter? That one hit a bad end when USPS bumped up shipping costs after the kickstarter ended and the creator was genuinely unable to afford shipping all of the books. That exacerbated other personal stresses they were dealing with at the time. :smith:

The author also was kind of a performance artist though so it's hard to say what exactly happened and why.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Adventurers is a poorly named rules light RPG that's almost funded. I picked up the base edition for free on Drive Thru RPG. It has a bunch of small setting books for 1$ to go with it. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The system's both really lightweight and universal and it just doesn't work for me. It has about as many rules as something like World of Dungeons, but the specificity that has allows it wo work and I just don't think this does. If you want a two page ruleset for pick up games though it doesn't look bad.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That's a shame, the mini's are tempting but I have no idea what I would do with them besides play this game.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
City of Mists is up on Kickstarter, and almost funded in a single day. The art and the background look really good, but I'm not sold on the tag system. I'll probably end up backing anyway but I'd rather they tweak the rules some more.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kai Tave posted:

Took longer than planned but unlike most Kickstarters that don't hit their estimated completion date Harper's been on the ball about constantly keeping updated works in progress available for play and playtesting so I'll still give him credit for a reasonably well-run KS.

I mostly backed Blades as a thank you for Lady Blackbird and his other free games so he has a lot of good will banked up in my book too. Being a consistent good member of the community should buy you some extra slack.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BinaryDoubts posted:

So I just looked up Alas, Vegas after hearing about it in the thread and it sounds like it's based on Tim Powers' Last Call, which is Extremely My poo poo. Is the game out for purchase, or just to backers?

Unknown Armies is pretty much Tim Powers: The RPG. The third edition kickstarted not long ago and will be out for general release soon.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Malthusian posted:

The Mutant Year Zero robot expansion book has come up in the thread a couple of times before--it looks like most of their stretch goals are new "Zone Sectors." Anyone familiar with the base game and its released Zone Sectors? Are they any good? Just trying to judge how the ones for this Kickstarter might turn out.

So a big part of Mutant Year: Zero is essentially a hex crawl, though they are squares. There are a bunch of tables to help you randomly generate these sectors and fill them with treasure, npcs, or monsters. Zone Sectors are just premade hexes that have something interesting in them, like an old ship that has a clan of mutants who run a bazaar open to everyone in the Zone. They're build to be able to just slot them in to an existing campaign and they work pretty well for that. Every Zone Sector doesn't work great with every campaign, the tone could be off or maybe you already had an idea for a faction that ran a bazaar but at the very least you can steal ideas and NPCs from them.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Mutant: Mechatron - Rise of the Robots has about 6 hours left. I've been wanting to grab a TRPG book to read through, and am considering it. I'm also considering Mutant: Year Zero though, since it's -20% off during the campaign.

Anyone already backing this, or have experience with Mutant Year Zero? The setting sounds neat.

I have MYZ but not any of the expansions. It's a fun game, a good mix of trad vs new. The basic system is pretty light and the game itself is essentially broken up into two parts. A phase where you play the role of the whole community and work on projects like a new farm, and a hex crawling sandbox exploration phase. It's more concerned about survival than something like Apocalypse World, you have to count your individual bullets and rations and death is a very real possibility whenever there is a fight.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Cthuldu Dark is having a Kickstarter. I have to say I'm surprised, I like CD but always thought it was pretty well self-contained. I didn't expect to see it expanded out in a book. If you're unfamiliar it is a rules light ruleset for Lovecraftian horror stories who are probably going to die horribly or go insane. The whole system takes about 2 pages, and the book will be 200 to include settings and tips on writing mysteries etc. It's already funded,

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This looks good but oddly expensive. I'm not sure if I'll ever have time to do the big interlocking campaign either. Also why is it the Yellow King instead of The King In Yellow? There is no Yellow King.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

FMguru posted:

$484 pledged out of $50,000, with six days to go!

$845 now. If it keeps doubling at this rate it will be one of the most successfull kickstarters of all time!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

moths posted:

This one is actually true because we could govern ourselves progressively without catering to (and subsidizing) what's essentially a second-world theocracy.

I want you to stop and think about some downsides with this idea of yours and how stupid it sounds.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's not a game (yet) but Simon Stålenhag's new project is up. You may remember him from Tales from the Loop/Tales from the Flood which got made into the rpg of the same name, no idea if this will get made into one as well but at the very least it looks very gameable if you want inspiration.

Rand Brittain posted:

Huh. My bank is now telling me that they can't process my payment to the Fragged Empires Kickstarter because it's in Australia and that's a "banned destination" for reasons the person I spoke to could not explain.

Some people can't let that whole "settled by convicts" thing go I guess?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are they using BackerKit? Can I still get in on this?

You can also subscribe to Cam's patreon to get draft access.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Spire seems pretty meh with the information they have so far. The setting is kind of interesting, but it's basically Blades in the Dark with fantasy races and I can just do that myself. The fact that there is so little information about the system is worrisome as well. All in all I'm not sure what this could do better than Blades in the Dark, the Planarch Codex, Cryptomancer, or a generic system.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Spire seems most similar to Blades in the Dark what are it's strengths in comparison? Like what does Spire do better than Blades?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I really wanted to like Numenara and I still think the basic idea of it would be good if you had someone competent in charge. I really like Gumshoe and mixing it together with DnD and science fantasy could be really cool. When I first heard about the adjective noun who verbs I liked that too. I thought it would be an aspect type system that would let you be creative with character creation. Of course then I don't out that you have to pick from a list and they all have mechanical effects so it's more like picking feats at first level. Then the background actively encourages you to look to the players and change things around whenever they guess the truth. It's just so disappointing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

TTerrible posted:

I just paid for Electric State and picked up the old OOP art books at the same time. I can't take much more Stalenhag.

I think only the cover is Simon Stalenhag, and the interior is mostly black and white art from old swedish RPGs.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
A popular coffee chain in Michigan was named Beaners for 12 years before the owner finally changed it. He said he was unaware that it was a slur. I guess he never googled the name of his own store or talked to a Hispanic person.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I have year one and am not a fan. It's very 90s white wolf. The background is ok except you have this metaplot and gm secrets hanging over your shoulder. Mutants instinctively fight when they meet like first edition Requiem. The basic system is add two skills then roll a d20 vs Target number which is basically fine. The powers are overly fiddly and complicated to what I would want, but they aren't badly designed. It's not a bad game, but I would never run it.

Edit: I just checked the table of contents, the power section is 89 pages long of different people trees, abilities, modifications etc. I'll leave it up to you in whether that's a selling point.

neaden fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

LatwPIAT posted:

This is pretty weird, since Howard was the one who sent letters to Lovecraft going "hey maybe tone down the racism!"

Remember this is weird old timey racism. They were both anti-Black racists but Lovecraft also hated Catholic immigrants like Irish, while Howard was of Irish decent. IIRC Howard also was fairly pro native American, albiet in a noble Savage patronizing way but really hated Mexicans.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Peas and Rice posted:

Any thoughts on Detective: City of Angels? I love mystery solving games, but the price seems awfully steep.

I looked into it but didn't back. The default game seems to be a GM and multiple players who compete which doesn't seem like a good system. If the players cooperate it's pretty much an RPG and I already have a bunch of those. If you play it without a GM it's Consulting Detective which I still have cases for. Basically I think it is trying to do too much and doesn't look like it does anything very well.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Did anyone back City of Mist? I see that it is out now and wondering if anyone has some first impressions.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bieeardo posted:

What I remember of the F&F, PCs are ultimately hosed. The Powers that Be have all the money, all the power, and all of the firepower, and will not hesitate to flatten a city with intercontinental fireballs to make an example of what happens to people who harbour PCs what have tried to gently caress with the natural order of things. They will be betrayed, they will be tracked down, they will take magic missiles, execution style.

It's an interesting thought experiment, and I imagine you could get an intriguing novel or three out of it, but as an RP setting it felt far too nihilistic for my liking, and actually playing with the encryption conceit looked drier than stale toast.

Basically PCs have a heat rating called Risk that represents how much the PCs are hated by the secret conspiracy that rules the world. There is no way to reduce Risk so if a campaign goes on long enough you go out in a blaze of glory. It is fairly nihilistic but to some extent the game is agitprop so that seems fitting.

In terms of Cryptomancer as a general game the setting and non-hacking based mechanics are interesting, but didn't really grab me. I'd be way more likely to port over the hacking systems and some elements of the setting into Eberron or something than run the game by the rules.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kwyndig posted:

Everything about DRAGON GOLD makes no sense though.
My theory is it's run by an actual dragon who is after our gold.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This looks kind of cool. Blinks a board game . It looks neat and I can see it being fun. I can also see it not working very well, or being years later and it is dealing with electronics which makes me nervous in a Kickstarter.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Foglet posted:

Cannot say I'm impressed by not one but TWO blatant bootleg copies of Adam Jensen right in the first two art samples after the cover. gently caress's sake, people, weren't you presumed to have more creativity than that.

They look like ugly collages with ugly filters applied, but in my book that's more forgivable than ripping something off that openly.

Adam Jensen is just a genderbent Molly Millions so they are just stealing from Gibson like most cyberpunk.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Foglet posted:

I meant the precise visual style down to details like the shape and positioning of facial seams and hexagonal stamps, as well as the design of prosthetic arms and hands. You cannot be serious saying "but that's how all cyborgs look in general", my optical recognition systems are practically screaming the 'distinct similarity' alarm signal.

Adam Jensen is super generic so yeah, I think you're seeing something that isn't there. The art is bad though.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mr.Misfit posted:

By dying and having his body used against his will by his ultra-capitalist libertarian boss who thought it better to use his point man/chief of security a controllable murdermachine than let the poor man rest in peace after dying to a bunch of murderhobos?

As Musk intended.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Coriolis is publishing Emisarry Lost, a campaign for the book. It looks interesting, and I'm a fan of the game, though it does have some flaws. I don't know if I am that interested in the backstory or metaplot stuff. I would rather more tables and structure for using the setting as a sandbox.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

NGDBSS posted:

Did Coriolis ever fix the problem of having no guidelines for handing out money? It otherwise looked interesting when a friend showed off his new purchase to my tabletop group, but money is a significant subsystem (to the point that the PCs start in debt to loan sharks for their ship) and yet I couldn't find anything on handling it.

They released the Atlas Companion, which does give some rules for generating missions and how much they should pay. It still leaves a lot vague though, which is definitely a weakness of the game.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Evil Hat is Kickstarting a coup universe rpg. Looks interesting but haven't had a chance to read the draft. I trust EH since the fate Kickstarter, and you very a bunch of their older stuff if you back it so worth it for that alone if you are interested.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

DalaranJ posted:

Is the coupniverse supposed to be, “What if the French Revolution, but cyberpunk?”
Kind of. I haven't finished the preview yet but it's set in Paris in the future after an unexplained world wide disaster killed most everyone. They speak English now for an unexplained reason and have little contact with the surviving cities. Most people have brain implants that make their homes look nice, their clothes pretty, food tasty, and gamifies their work. The Societe are the upper class who have some real possessions and nicer AR. The Natureles are the lowest class and don't have implants. It reminds me a lot of the videogame Remember Tommorow.

homullus posted:

I want it to be "coupniverse" but that looks terrible in print. Thanks, William the Conqueror.

It's apparently the dystopian universe, but that's super generic and you just have to say it's from coup. I'd prefer coupniverse.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tsilkani posted:

Really? I can go buy a copy of Alas, Vegas right now on DTRPG. That seems quite a bit further along than Far West.

You misunderstand. As an apology for both of their games being late, years ago Wallis and Skara both agreed to give their game to the others backers. So Far West backers get free Alas Vegas, and Vegas backers will one day get free Far West. So the only thing yet to ship for Vegas backers is their copy of Far West.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bombadilillo posted:

There is a delightful book/game thing called Journal 29. Journal 29: Interactive Book Game https://www.amazon.com/dp/1635871727/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R1BaBb909VRP2

It requires lateral thinking, a pencil and paper, your phone for things including a calculator and imputing the answers on a website and getting clues back and more. I play with my wife usually at the bar and we solve a few puzzles til we get stuck or melt our brains. It's full of the Eureka moments you get when you solve puzzles. Every puzzle is unique. It's pretty impressive. It's also real cheap, buy it.

Well theres a sequel coming, and its kickable!!!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-ludibooster/journal-29-revelation-interactive-book-game/rewards
Its events take place after the first book but it is stand alone. You can get the first book in the kickstarter but it's cheap already on Amazon and you probably want the content spread out.

Also, disclaimer, with the kickstarter and shipping price it's a good chance that it will be cheaper to just get on Amazon after release. Why am I posting then? Because the first one is awesome and you can get it RIGHT now and i want more people to learn about this awesome game. I'm backing to support the creators, but that's just me. Drop $16 on the first book its worth it.

This seems cool and right up my alley. Just bought the first one on Amazon and will try it out. I think I'll have enough time to figure out if I like it before the KS ends.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
My copy of journal 29 came and I got a chance to do the first 11 puzzles on my train ride to work. First impression is favorable, the puzzles are nice and not too gimmicky. You will have to Google for some things by design, but the game isn't popular enough that I've had spoilers come up when doing so. I haven't gotten any puzzles yet that need any bending of paper or anything. My one complaint is that some of the text can be hard to read, especially when it's just letters instead of a word. If recommend it based on my experience so far and will be backing the KS tonight.
Edit: A link to the ks for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
A little more than 24 hours left on Geist: the Sin Eater Second Edition. It's the latest Onyx Path game to get a second edition and looking like a major improvement on the first. They've released the draft manuscript during the campaign for backers. The basic premise of the game is that you died and have been brought back by making a deal with this transformed ghost who has drank from the rivers of the Underworld. The game is pretty explicitly hopeful even though it takes place on a messed up setting. The PCs have the potential to make the world a better place or at least help people.