Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The Kickstarter was raw excitement. You know, you were part of it."

Ah, no, Kev. Palladium Games were the first I cut my teeth on (SDC tastes gritty) over twenty years ago so I'm wise how things roll with Palladium at the helm. This is about what was expected and that's why I didn't back it.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I remember when all the KS was still going down, I got to hear an industry insider describe Ninja Division as "clownshoes" during GenCon. It stuck with me then, and it'll now stick with me forever.

That's classy. Say what you will about Relic Knights but if I wanted to, I could buy them. I think they even, gasp, re-release miniatures in a timely fashion which is more than I can say for some.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not saying the shoe fits, just that there's a squeaking noise for those who pay attention.

That's fair. I didn't realize that ND was doing so bad on their later releases. After 20+ years of being a Palladium fan and then mostly an interested observer, I find it's too easy to just dump all the blame on Kev's shoulders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This game continues to look real dumb, which is disappointing.

So, uh, you've got far-right Christians, far-right militia, captains of industry and what the Right thinks unions are working together and by their powers combined you have Stigmata?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

I think the bigger criticism I have of the art being previewed for Hack the Planet is that all of it basically looks like someone took a photo of a person and then sort of drew the clothes and cyberware around them.

It almost looks like they tossed photos and Poser in a blender and it puree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

So Chad Walker updated over on SIGMATA with an example of playtest scenario :

As someone called out here, that absolutely reads like the Factions should be parts of the Regime, because that whole scenario is basically predicated on the right wing militia concept of the Old Men.

Oh my gosh. He's also adapting the Bay of Pigs to his sassy little extreme right-wing game. ::allears::

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well, crap. Now I'm glad I bought Masks before finding any of that BS out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

Or alternatively, there's been yet another turf war inside the Harry Potter rights management mess, and Knight are trying to off load as much of the stock as they can because they've already been told their license has been cancelled, and it ends at a certain date.

I have worked for a company that had this done to them over a Harry Potter video game before.

Rights snarls seem to muck up a lot of things for Knight Models like with their Marvel line. Marvel is pretty onerous to work with, or so my understanding goes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bieeanshee posted:

I heard some pretty wild stories about getting poo poo okayed for the defunct Marvel Heroes ARPG. Not just things like character models and costumes, but stuff like 'the player must be able to see Ghost Rider's face when he uses his Penance Stare' when the character could be facing away from the camera at any given time.

There was also something weird on Marvel's end about the late, lamented Marvel Heroic RPG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

What was unusual about the MHRPG thing in particular was how sudden it happened. The announcement was made that it was cancelled while several projects were in the pipe and in various stages of completion, then there was one week to buy anything you wanted and then it was utterly yanked from vendors.

That's the depressing part, knowing what they were working on and I think almost done with. As you and I both know, MHRPG could be used for all sorts of neat non-supers things (like, say, a funky Exalted Battlestar Galactica hybrid) and on the game's actual front it's a real pity that I believe they were mandated to release stuff like Civil War first, which nobody much cared about and led to not-great sales.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

demota posted:

Oh, that's cool. What's the new thing called?

Cortex. There was a Kickstarter for it, I learned after MR said something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The somewhat controversial Dragons Conquer America RPG is back on Kickstarter, having reassessed certain aspects. Personally, I find it an interesting idea with beautiful artwork and a history of good game design, despite the controversy.

'Controversy?" Dawgstar wondered. 'What controversy?'

quote:

Social interactions are shaped by a TOLERANCE AND PREJUDICE system. We want you to feel like your character belongs to this harsh era, so they'll start flawed and prejudiced, but the upgrade of the Tolerance skill can be used to create a natural arc away from bigotry.

Oh. Oh, my. No.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

clockworkjoe posted:

Do you like the Tokusatsu genre? Do you like Savage Worlds? Then you need Savage Tokusatsu https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bpbgames/savage-tokusatsu-kaiju-mechs-and-heroes-for-savage

Well, I do like me some Savage Worlds and some Super Sentai so... sold.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately if they even so much as mention Sentai or have something that might be misidentified as Saban IP when standing 10m away and squinting, that won't stop Saban from trying to shut them down. :(

That's scary. The pregen team is sorta Big Bad Beetle 'Borg-esque.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wasn't really talking about Mal though, there's no argument from me that Firefly has aged into unwatchable territory. I was just replying to the latest post on the topic, I'm sorry I realize it might be confusing.

That's true. I mean, even if you wanted to get past that (for whatever unknowable reason) there's still Adam Baldwin Adam Baldwin-ing all over the place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You can only play 'kill the guy with the ball' so many times and in so many ways.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those who missed it the first time around, the new Torg Eternity KS lets you get the stuff from the original core KS.

Believe it or not, Torg Eternity is actually good.

I told them to give me all the PDFs. Eternity is good. I like Kaah will not be turned into a chump by, oh, the second book or so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Backers have received links to a lot of the stuff for TORG's Living Land. It... it lets me have a pet raptor, so bias.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tragedy seems to follow this man like a thing that follows a man very closely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I find the responses of 'It'll still probably be a good read' admirable. What else do you hold onto at this point?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a good thing for him there aren't any other really solid RPGs that mix the martial arts genre and western genre out there already.

The first time I started to pay attention to FW was the 'oh my god this is so late' notices I saw cropping up everywhere, so out of genuine curiosity, was that the hook?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was being sarcastic because Deadlands has been around forever (though there are issues with its Asian material, because '90s), and yeah, there's Feng Shui as well. Far West was supposed to be more of a direct melange, mind, but it'd be pretty trivial to find a game to do it with.

That was part of the reason I asked, as the high concept did not in fact seem all that high as I wasn't there when FW was pitched because as you say there are options out there. Heck, I ran some stuff in Feng Shui set in the old west. The gates don't have to open up just on mainland China. They can be in Tombstone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

'Fine' is not how I'd describe 7th Sea (Original Flavor) mechanics, but it was borked in different places.

I didn't look at 1E that closely, because I got hung up on chargen and everything cool seemed way too expensive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Make a kickstarter to hire a translator to do it. Get Terra the Gunslinger adapted as well as the crossover with the Tenra Bansho setting, Tenra War. Terra is steampunk western while Tenra War is set after the big war between the two and now aliens have arrived to do weird poo poo. If people keep doing this, Kadokawa (they're own the publishing company) will eventually have to consider making PoD English versions or something.

This reminds me that Shinobigami's never been released and now I'm a little depressed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, that's like one developer for half a year, more or less. That's exactly enough manpower and time to figure out you're in waaaay over your head and you need a bigger budget.

I'm reminded of Lab Zero's Kickstarter for a single fighting game character was $150,000. (This also led to one of the best stupid outraged tweets ever that angrily told Lab Zero they were in, quote, 'the game-making business and not the paying rent business.')

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm normally a sucker for a supers RPG, but I am unsure of the recently-launched SuperAge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1625564009/superage-role-playing-game?ref=437441&token=c4013a32

I've never quite wrapped my head about anything Powered by the Apocalypse and the art seems to mostly tell me there are some curvy, curvy white super ladies running around. Which is fine - more than fine - but also not. If somebody wants to chime in to get me to lean in its direction, please feel free.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

If it helps, this looks "Powered by the Apocalypse" in the loosest possible sense, probably just in using d6s. Nothing else they describe about the game (universal mechanics with only a very broad theme, full character creation instead of playbooks, granular combat that isn't "dangerous") is PbtA-y at all.

I wondered. It seemed heavier on stats for character creation than PbtA looks. (In that it seems more involved than, say, Masks.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

i also like to intimidate my foes by feeling myself up in battle

To be fair, I wouldn't be expecting it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. McCraken had a far deeper and richer personal life than I could have suspected.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Part-Time Gods, Second Edition has 11 days left. In PTG, you play humans who have been infused with the power of godhood over a single concept (like fire, alcohol, music, guns, dogs, etc.) and now have to balance their moral lives with their divine lives to avoid losing the connection to either. I reviewed the first edition ages ago, and despite the clunky mechanics I really liked it. Fortunately, this new version is using a more modern, narrative ruleset. There's a free preview up on DriveThru as well.

I backed it when it started - I figure if its 2E does for it what Ninja Crusade's second edition did for it, we'll be in good shape.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love Outlaw Star!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Trifecta posted:

whoops wrong topic. For context, to those still waiting on projects. Camp Grizzly is finally after coming up on 5 years this December since The Kickstarter shipping out the expansions for the base game along with minis. Perhaps this give hope to those that may never fulfill.

Holy crap. I didn't back it, but remember hearing about it and watching an LP of it somewhere and thinking 'hey, when this comes out I might like to get it.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Out of the 40 or so backed projects, easily my top 3. Guy took these 5 years hand drawing all the art himself. Best representation of a Friday the 13th like game made.

Oh, yeah! That was a draw as I recall, and refreshing my memory with some Google images the player art does look like Wet Hot American Summer the Card which is about perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

The other one says 1973 Westworld to me but I can't find an exact match.

I know, right? I was about to post the same thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

I've bolded the word in your question that points to the answer.

GMS is broke. He's cancelled physical print runs for pre-sold books, instead giving PDF copies and scrip for the Adamant company digital store.

"And I'm happy to have that," says people who really should be angrier with the whole deal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Rifter has an art budget higher than that, I'm pretty certain, and the pay on that is self-admittedly "abysmal" - they pay about half the industry standard for RPGs! Granted, even that may actually not be fair to compare to an indie production. But bear in mind that typically you'll be paying around $100 for a full page of art, double that for color, reduce accordingly with picture size (so a half-page will usually be half that). Usually you'll be looking at $1,000 to $3,000, even with the low industry standards of artist payments in mind.

It's possible to increase or decrease that significantly depending on the artist and complexity you're working with, of course, and just adjusting the amount of art used. But the numbers I cited are definitely in line with what you would expect the art budget to be for a project like Far West with the money it started at.

I wonder if The Rifter just doesn't make that much money or, you know, Kevin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

LOL at the desperate effort at damage control once it was pointed out that their rulebook would have been more impressive if it was just a 40 page PDF of "lorem ipsum" text

Did they really try 'we plagiarized because we don't English so good?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The lack of basset hound is shameful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

The thing about CAH and Munchkin is that they're both extremely lovely games, and even if you, say, divorced Munchkin from its lovely artwork and stale geek humor and rebranded it as a game about growing crops in medieval Europe it would still be an extremely lovely game. James Ernest has an actual shot at making this a good game, regardless of its theme.

I still remember the first and only time I sat down to play Munchkin and realized after a short while that it was actually 'kill the guy with the ball' which you can only play for so long and I've never seen the value in repeat performances. I do have hopes for Ernest, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Top quality flounce. Would welcome back to flounce again. 13/10.