Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a co-game between him and Rob Daviau. He was very involved. Rob called the Alliances expansion "Isaac's baby" in an interview. There's also an interview where the two of them discuss working together here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsSmC-Lujc

Also, here's what Childres wrote in the Cephalofair Games newsletter a few days ago:

quote:

Oh no, I have to do it again! I have to delay my regularly scheduled video game rant because there is Very Important News. I mean, it may not be as exciting as a Frosthaven announcement, but maybe it is. I'll let you be the judge.

The Return to Dark Tower Kickstarter is live!

And now you might be confused because Return to Dark Tower is being published by Restoration Games, not Cephalofair Games, and that is a fair point, but I am one of the designers, so it is still super-important to me. This is not only the first game I've designed that will be published by someone else, it is also the first game I have designed with other people (also one of those other people is Rob Daviau, which is really cool).

So it's a big deal for me, and I want to tell you about it. Let me just get this out of the way first, though:

This game is legit bonkers.

It's the best word I can come up with to describe it. Like, if you think Gloomhaven is bonkers, Return to Dark Tower is super-bonkers. I mean, I could never in my wildest dreams create a game with such insane ambition, and I say that as the person who made Gloomhaven.

So there's a tower, right? And it is this massive plastic thing with gears and motors and doors and lights and bluetooth communication and infrared sensors. And it is going to menace you, rumbling around, spitting skulls at you, and generally ruining your day. So much care and thought went into crafting it and making it affordable, and sure, it doesn't do all the crazy things we wanted it to, but it more than lives up to its namesake, while at the same time elevating the game play.

But then there's also an app that's doing its thing, controlling the inner workings of the tower, tracking way more information than could reasonably be requested of a human, and providing a beautiful interface for players to interact with the tower and all that information. There's just so many stories and quests we can pack into this thing, and they can change dynamically based on player actions.

At the end of the day, though, all that would mean nothing to me if the game play wasn't solid, but it absolutely is. I mean, I would hope so - I helped design it after all - but it has just gone through so many iterations, sometimes it felt as though we'd never crack the nut and refine the system to where it needed to be.

But we did. It's fun and entertaining and challenging and full of interesting decisions, and I really couldn't be happier seeing all these elements shine and come together into a product that really is something special and extraordinary.

But anyway, I'll stop trying to sell you on the game. You can check out the spectacle for yourself, and that can be that.

So yeah, it sounds like he was pretty deep involved on the design side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Moon Monster posted:

It's kind of annoying how little the campaign page itself says about the game. It seems like there's a ton of info out there, but if you just look at kickstarter you'll only have the vaguest idea of what playing the game actually entails.

Pissed off or not there's no way I would pay $70 in shipping for a $90 game. If I was in "rest of world" I would probably just wait for retail, although I have no idea what boardgame retail is like in Laos or whatever...

There is a preliminary rulebook PDF at least.

I did both Oath and Dark Tower, although like a lot of other people have said, I’m not doing the full blinged out minis version of Dark Tower. The money I save there basically pays for Oath! (is what I’m telling myself)

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 15, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you missed out on the first printing, the Pax Pamir 2d Edition second printing Kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/pax-pamir-reprint

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

It's not just the same art style, it's at least partially the same art.

Yeah several of those cards are just Shadows/Gloom of Kilforth cards in black and white. Which leads me to believe it’s probably just placeholder. But keep in mind that even with the Kilforth games, they sold an additional “darker” card pack for each that was basically just “Here’s more boobs.” They don’t mind leaning into all that.

With all that said, questionable art aside I really enjoy the gameplay of the Kilforth games and I’ll probably end up backing it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
There was some discussion of Veilwraith awhile back, the new Kickstarter from the Gloom of Kilforth developer (and which seems to be reusing a lot of its art assets, at least in prototype). If anyone is still on the fence about it, Ricky Royal put out a pretty good gameplay video of the prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPQfFK1F5Mk

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. I got my Cowboy tabletop game funded a while back and the book is nearly done. Am tripping over myself with this section on Race, Gender and Sexuality though. How do you do you folks think it reads?

It's a great point to make, but I would make shorter and more direct. I imagine most of your audience is going to get the point pretty easily, and so it doesn't need to sound like an argument. For those who are more dense, sounding too preachy might push them in the wrong direction. I would propose something like:

On Race, Gender and Sexuality

It is in the spirit of DEAD IN THE WEST that Player characters of all races, genders, and sexualities be an accepted and encouraged part of the game. This accepting philosophy towards Player characters is not to gloss over the prejudice of those times or as any tacit proclamation that things “weren't actually that bad back then."

The real Old West was obviously not as inclusive as a group of modern-day friends sitting down for a tabletop game. Players will understand that, and the GM does not need to act as an educator on historical accuracy. For most groups, if the issue arises, it should be sufficient to tell your Players that prejudice is not an element of this game unless the group unanimously agrees as a whole that they want to address it as part of the story.

Most folks want to play a character they think is interesting or that they personally identify with, and the last thing they want in their break from reality is to experience any form of discrimination. While there are great storylines that can be explored around fighting prejudice, if you choose to broach these issues, ensure that they are handled with tact and respect for those involved, and that every member of the group knows what they're signing up for ahead of time.

Please be advised the game is best enjoyed with at least two friends, and you may lose those required components if you intend to use DEAD IN THE WEST as some kind of "prejudice simulator." It should be your end goal as a GM to provide your Players with a fun time in the Old West, regardless of who they want to play as.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jedit posted:

Cosmodrome have managed to deliver the Smartphone Inc v1.1 upgrade kit and the v2.0 game, despite everything. The upgrade kit is a double layered board, three and a half punch sheets, five minis and the new bigger box to hold it all with the base game, which is drat good value for $15.

It's funny because I kind of forgot what the Kickstarter for this game was and when I got the shipping email for it, just from the title I was expecting something like a small box travel game. Then the thing got here yesterday and it was like 30 pounds.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

Before I toddle off to bed there's a couple of KS that might interest goons

1822 - The Railways of Great Britain is closing in just under 24hrs. Apparently you nerds like 18xx games.
Tales of BarBEARia - Under 60hrs. Cute looking dice/drafting/battle game. I was personally considering backing it, but I'm tapped out of my EOFY slush funds. (They're educational tools people :v:)

I'm probably pausing backing anything else for a bit I think. The Mayday Crokinole 2020 board is probably my last big pickup for the year. They also registered on the forums recently, so feel free to annoy them and they might answer questions for you. They actually came into the main thread to address quality concerns a little while ago.
It's also dope that they're finally shipping to more places than just the US+Canada, so I'm actually getting it direct shipped via the campaign.

I got one of Mayday's boards and I think it's very good for the price. There's a couple of minor staining irregularities on mine, but it's flat, plays well, waxes up good, looks nice, etc. I'm sure super enthusiasts who have a perfect $500 Crokinole board would find reasons to look down on it, but for $100 I feel like you really can't go wrong.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If you’re interested in a similar concept board game to darkest dungeon, without the sanity stuff, check out Isaac Childres’ most famous game design, Forge War.

Players compete for resources to outfit a crew of adventurers to send them on quests for stuff, points, and experience. It’s good.

I like Forge War a lot but I wouldn't put it in a category with Darkest Dungeon. There's isn't really any combat, it's just whether you can give the adventurers the right equipment to clear a quest. I do think it is a really neat and bizarre game in that it's like three separate minigames of area control, worker placement, and resource management in one.

But, yeah, I don't know why I would want a Darkest Dungeon board game, the video game itself is already pretty board-gamey. This just feels like I'd be playing the video game except I have to do all the drat recordkeeping in a Kingdom: Death Monster kind of way. But I'm judging without seeing the campaign. Maybe it'll bring something different to the table.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those who like Chip Theory Games (Too Many Bones, Hoplomachus, etc) and their particular brand of poker chip and neoprene mat excess, they have a 10 day Kickstarter running for their newest thing: burncycle.

$115 base game, $140 game with a couple expansions, $295 if you want a bunch of dumb extras like brass figures and playmats and drawbags and whatnot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

To elaborate a little, burncycle is a coop cyberpunk stealth game where you are robots infiltrating corporate buildings to confront the CEO for your own freedom. Patrolling guards with vision ranges and facing, hacking (including wireless), efficiency management with a randomized "burn cycle" of actions where you step from one action chip to another (and can skip chips) - you can do whatever with each, but get a special bonus if your action matches the chip. It looks quite cool.

And yes, the production values will be excessive. They even poke fun at themselves a bit with the playmat. "Put your neoprene on your neoprene". (The rooms will be individual neoprene mats instead of the cardboard tiles you might see elsewhere.) Personally while I support more affordable games generally, at least Chip Theory's high ticket luxuries are ones that make the game nicer for me. Minis, not so much. (Though they have those too, in this one. In brass, because why not, I guess?)

Oh, I should be clear, I love the hell out of Too Many Bones and have everything they made for it. I think all the high quality components do add a lot to the game experience, but I also recognize that some people might stick on paying for that kind of thing.

The brass minis remind of the big unnecessary spire minis they had for Cloudspire. Very cool to add atmosphere, not necessary if you don't want them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

Oh yeah, I got that. I just wanted to say "hey, a lot of the time I whine about how expensive minis games are...these are also unnecessarily expensive but dangit, it's in a way I appreciate."

I understand, and I didn't want my initial somewhat terse description to come off as negative!

In the interest of providing more info, here's a playlist from Chip Theory of short videos about how burncycle works, and then like a 40 minute playthrough of a floor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoPCvPQMwbQcR9YJe8Q7ZQPHcjAp-Y4u1

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 11, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vidmaster posted:

Holy poo poo Bloodborne is HUGE. Like there's a lot of empty space in these boxes from all the mini trays, but even so it's still just a massive amount of content.

Yes, I also got my "now how the gently caress am I going to store this" giant cardboard box today. At first I was wondering if I drunkenly ordered a minifridge.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CODChimera posted:

well no one was exaggerating that's for sure

storage really does seem like a legit issue with this hobby

I spent like $70 on a storage solution for one game.

It's a pretty good one, though

(edit) and that was the kickstarter price, it now goes for over $100

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JazzFlight posted:

That Trove Chest is incredible. Sure, it took like 3-4 hours sorting everything, but it keeps everything together and easy to access.

It's pretty great, yeah. I felt kind of dumb for buying it, but I've got pretty much everything to do with Too Many Bones and it really was a pain to keep it all in like four separate boxes. It's very well designed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Evil Mastermind posted:

Two projects just dropped:

Everyway 25th anniversary edition is an old diceless game by Jonathan Tweet (although I don't know if he's involved with this version). It uses Tarot and art cards for inspiration.

Maquis: 2nd Edition is a solo worker-placement game about being in La Resistance. It's a small footprint and plays pretty quickly so it's something you can bust out and play on a TV tray. There's an upgrade kit for $5 if you already own the first edition.

Maquis is solid, I'll definitely be buying the upgrade kit. Side Room Games are the same guys who did Black Sonata, they have a good touch for these small solo games.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I got Apex Theropod Collected Edition this week and I'm really impressed by how nice it is. The thing is dense with cards and they're very high quality, like Mage Knight weight and texture.

As someone who plays a lot of solo (especially these days), I've been looking to get this one for awhile and it was out of print forever so I was stoked to see a reprint come up, especially one that contained all the expansions.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 14, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Comstar posted:

stench goal box

I've gotten some of those, you never know what they are doing in these factories

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you find anything interesting from this year's zinequest?

Since my group tends more toward traditional board games and I don't think anyone I know would really zinequest with me, I tended more toward solo dungeon crawl or journaling type things. But there's a lot of interesting stuff in that space!

Lay On Hands: You wander the post-apocalyptic wasteland as a talented healer. The kicker here is the resolution system -- instead of rolling dice for success, you spin a coin and try to complete sections of a drawing mini-game before it comes to a stop.

Superstition: "You are an oracle, a greenseer and a fraud. You don't believe in rituals, but create them to give your community hope. You know nothing you do will affect whether a season is bountiful or not, whether nature will be kind to your clan or not. But you must convince your chieftain that your rituals are worthy, and offer your community hope. If not, you may be exiled or worse." Played with a normal deck of cards.

Apothecaria: "Apothecaria is a solo journalling RPG in which you take the role of a village witch creating potions for the unfortunate villagers, adventurers, and monsters that come to you for help." Sounds pretty detailed, says there are nine different locations with random encounters to search for ingredients, seasons affect the ingredients, there is a relationship system with NPCs in the village, etc.

Hibernation Games: A collection of 5 solo zines, including The Thaw (you are the last guardian of a tribe, preparing to fight the ancient enemy that will soon emerge from the ice), Life of a Spell Scroll (exactly as it sounds), I Love You, Alive Girl (trying to communicate with your love in the dystopian future by hiding comments in ad reviews without being caught by the AI algorithm), Drawing Dead (you are the Dealer, dealing hands of pokers to four souls on their way to the afterlife), and maybe my favorite, Gelatinous Cube ("You are an adventurer slowly being harmlessly digested in a gelatinous cube, seeing and interacting with the adventurers coming in and out of this dungeon.")

The Lighthouse At The End of the Universe: You are the solitary keeper of the Lighthouse at the end of the universe, to keep spaceships from falling off the edge. "The Lighthouse is a solo journalling game best played at nighttime before bed or for when you can't sleep. The Lighthouse is about running a lighthouse in space. It is played with a dice, a coin and pack of cards. Roll the dice and flip a card to get a prompt. Flip a coin to see how you go about the task." "Each logbook entry begins with your observations of the weather. You and the lighthouse are at the mercy of the weather at the edge and so mishaps are very likely to happen. Maybe you'll need to fix something, replace a panel, clean up a breakage, refill the tea in your flask. The oil in the lamp will need refilling through the night and the wick may need to be tended to. Once you've done that, sit down and take some time to Observe those passing by from the lighthouse's balcony." I thought this one sounded really chill.

12 Years: Hexploring and Dungeon Delving, solo or multiplayer. "You have 12 years until the Lich King burns the known world. Can you or anyone you know complete the coronation ritual and appease him? Better yet, destroy him once and for all?" Seems kind of solo Xcom-ish in a way as you can have parties and heroes die off and keep the game going until your 12 years runs out.

Where Mystery Dwells: Solo or two player catacomb crawl "through a candlelit world of stone and bones beneath a fantastical-industrial city." "you play a troupe of apprentices balancing their own survival and sanity against the need to curry favor with their patron. It also has system-agnostic tools for procedurally generating vaguely disturbing catacombs, creating the colorful city, and populating both with a cast of empathetic and engaging characters."

Who knows if any of this will be any good, but most of them were like five or ten bucks so even if I just read the thing and go "huh, neat" I probably got my money's worth.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

Was there a website with a compiled list of all those Zinequest KS's? I'd imagine it would be difficult to keep track of any that you might be interested in when they're releasing like 10 a day.

DNA Cowboys posted:

Pandatheist's tracker blog has been real helpful for letting me know what's available.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vidmaster posted:

There's a new Aeon's End on Kickstarter today, which wraps up the storyline started in AE:Legacy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibcgames/aeons-end-legacy-of-gravehold

Looks like it's a massive amount of new content, about the same size as New Age and Outcasts combined, and with a lot of legacy elements again. There's also a branching campaign, though it sounds like buying a reset pack is going to basically be mandatory to experience all the branches - though if it's like Legacy you'll probably be able to get another playthrough with 2 players without a reset pack. I'm a little burned out on AE after basically doing a back to back to back run through Legacy, New Age, Into the Wilds, and half of Outcasts, but it's still up there as one of my favorite coop games and has the most playtime of anything I've managed to get my wife to try. It might actually be my second or third most played board game after Gloomhaven and possibly Eclipse.

I love Aeon's End but I just have so much of it. I have like everything from the original set, plus I played through Legacy, and New Age, and I think I have Outcasts but never even cracked it open. It's great and I've played a ton of it but I feel like, I have it now. I have Aeon's End. I can play it with basically an endless amount of permutations. I have no idea how to even combine some of it anymore. I don't need more. Please stop.

I'll probably back this one, too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
After having all these big box pledges where the updates tend to be about where the seventeen container ships leaving port from China are, it's really endearing to see some of these Zinequest updates that are like "I bought ENVELOPES and they are BLUE!"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

jivjov posted:

Lighthouse at the edge of the universe?

I forget which one, but if it rings a bell for you on that front it's likely, since I know that's one of the ones I backed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's also a solo-only game, so it's a bit more of a niche audience.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

kinkouin posted:

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about the "trust us, the batarang dice are fine" and the 1v1 mode info.

I mean, the dice are apparently d4s with two possible results, if they suck just flip a coin and pretend you're Two Face

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

One Stop Co-op Shop did a prototype playthrough/review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0Qttjn-us

Very positive toward it, said it reminds him of Under Falling Skies

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The_Doctor posted:

Death Valley, a new $10 Buttonshy game is up. Looks fun!

Pretty much any Buttonshy game that has a solo mode is an immediate back for me. They've all been solid, relatively cheap to back, and I love just being able to toss one in my pocket.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Sprawlopolis lives in my backpack all the time. That’s such a good one.

For a game that's like 18 cards without the expansions, it's a surprisingly good little brain burner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CODChimera posted:

I backed a KS for a cat water fountain and the hostility in the comments was unreal like its a cat water fountain. calm the gently caress down

MY CAT IS DEHYDRATED YOU CALM DOWN

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Redundant posted:

It looks like JoCo2 is up. I'm not sure I will ever get to play it in real life but the one game I played online was a lot of fun and I like Cole's games as a general rule so might back it anyway.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/john-company-second-edition?ref=android_project_share

I don't know how often I'll get it to the table, but I sure as hell am backing it. I was never able to find a reasonably priced copy of the first edition, and after Pamir, I trust Cole on the rework.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ricky Royal is doing the solo variant for John Company (he did the Pax Pamir one as well), and he put out a video about it: https://youtu.be/8c9NJ-DRI2o

Good concept how it uses promise tokens to keep some feel of negotiating with the AI

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

malkav11 posted:

Hexplore It Volume 4: The Domains of Mirza Noctis now live over on Gamefound:
https://gamefound.com/projects/hexploreit/vol4#/section/project-story

Hexplore It is one of my favorite coop series. A really good fantasy hexcrawl feeling, loads of cool bosses to fight and unique loot and such. And very varied characters.

Dammit, I have Sands and Forests and barely ever get a chance to play them, but here I go again

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I don't know if this fully fits as a "Traditional Game," but if you like tarot cards, I think this is cool. Might also be a cool prop/inspiration for other tabletop games:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/713books/the-alleymans-tarot/

Basically a tarot deck made to look like a mismatched cobbled together thing you might find a back alley fortuneteller using in a story.

quote:

The Alleyman's Tarot is a 133 card, mismatched tarot deck. An artifact from the real world, it was made with the kindness of many other artists, part made up of cards licensed from other, real-world tarot decks, part made up of cards I or other artists made for the deck, and part made up of standalone cards from older tarot decks, now public domain. This deck comes with a special guide made specific for the deck, written by the Alleyman himself, explaining the intricacies of the deck and the purpose of its many cards.

With 133 cards, there is certainly some strangeness to the deck. 9 Deaths, 2 Devils, 2 Suns, a Tower series of 3 cards (the Tower, the House of God, and the Horizon), and non-traditional cards such as the 3 of Books, the Fountain, and others. Each was chosen by the Alleyman because they bring in important new angles to your readings.

The deck is 133 cards in a standard tarot size, 2.75"x4.75". Cards have their unique, original cardbacks, and some have foil, or edge gilding, or both, and in different colors.

quote:

The Book
The book itself is has been made to feel like it's a notebook, one that the Alleyman has used and stained and filled out himself, and will be 5"x8" with a full color interior and a spiral binding. The table of contents at the front will help you find your cards faster, and the notes and extra reading spreads in the back from the Alleyman will help you make particular use of this very unique deck.

The normal tier is $45, but it has a $40 cheaper option if you financially need it, and there's also a cool $100 option:

quote:

I will sign your book and box as the Alleyman, and doodle on, mess up, maybe burn, and otherwise help bring some of the grime of life to your deck. I always wanted to cut a hole in The Hole card.... This will be a totally unique, stained, loved, and held deck.

The $100 tier was originally limited to 10 copies since they didn't think there would be much demand, then raised to 30, then 50, and now 100 as of a few minutes ago (with 37 left at the time of this post and going quick).
(edit): looks like that $100 tier is now all sold out

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Memnaelar posted:

Strongly considering pulling my John Company pledge. I like the idea of the game but the notion of teaching it is a daunting one, as is the notion of finding a group that wants to play it often enough to really make it shine. I want to support Cole's work but I haven't even gotten Pamir 2 to the table.

The video teaches have seemed labyrinthine. Has anyone seen a good playthrough of John that makes it seem fun enough to get past the above reservations? I just dumped a ton of money into Hexplore it for solo/wife co-op so I'm looking to cut KS costs where a game is a maybe rather than definitely yes. It's a beautiful game and I'm *trying* to talk myself into it but I need a little more to get there.

Have you looked at Ricky Royal's demo of the solo mode? Not that you'd be buying the game for the solo mode, but watching him play a few turns with just him versus the AI, I felt like I got a better feel for the flow of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9NJ-DRI2o

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ehhhh, I don't know. Only 9 Deaths?

I think Death (Motel) may be the best one

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bob Smith posted:

Wait was there a Bloodborne board game that wasn't the very light card game that's basically a hidden bidding game with a vague theme of fighting creepy Bloodborne monsters?

I have that and there's one game and one expansion, I'm not even sure it was a kickstarter. It's quite fun though. The way it works is all the players look at a monster with an amount of victory points on it equal to its HP, and secretly pick a weapon or item card or retreat out of the fight to heal. Then the cards are revealed, the monster attacks the players and whoever survives takes a number of VP equal to the damage they dealt, with whoever dealt the last hit getting a bonus and anyone whose card resolves after the monster has no VP left getting nothing.

You then need to at some point bank your VP by retreating before you die. It has some limited card buying stuff where you buy better weapons and items, and monsters have varying rules that put a twist on the rounds, but it's ultimately a very light and not super thematic card game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/bloodborne-the-board-game/description

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jarvisi posted:

I've never heard of this series. Is it solo only? Or can you play it in groups

In addition to what others have said, you can download the core Ironsworn rulebook (same system but in a fantasy setting) for free in PDF form here: https://www.ironswornrpg.com//downloads

Starforged is a refinement of that and a bunch of new stuff for the space setting, but Ironsworn should give you a solid idea of how it plays both solo and in groups. Ironsworn also has a paid expansion called Delve which gives rules for adding more in-depth dungeon crawl type instances; Starforged basically incorporates that into its core rules.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a playlist of another really good Ironsworn solo campaign, done by a voice actor. Listening to a few episodes of this was what convinced me to give it a spin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxJ3exjfgI

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hackjack posted:

What’s do people think of Hoplomachus?

Got pretty deep into solo and co-op games during the pandemic, and looking for new experiences. I think this is the first high production value solo dedicated game I’ve heard of, so seems ambitious. Does the game have enough depth for significant replay value?

Victorum (which is the Kickstarter running now) is kind of a whole new beast. Old Hoplo was fun but a little unsatisfying for me because it was basically one-off arena fights, but the positional combat itself was pretty great. Victorum looks really interesting in that it adds a whole new character progression and squad building mechanic to it. Although I think Victorum is solo only, so that may or may not float your boat if you also want co-op. The Hoplo Remastered that is also part of the campaign appears to be most everything from the original Hoplomachus plus its expansions in one upgraded package which is compatible with Victorum. I backed it; but I haven’t decided yet if I’m just going to get Victorum or go all in.

Ricky Royal started a playthrough of it, mostly just using print at home prototype materials: https://youtu.be/BKxUds0DyJc

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JazzFlight posted:

I'm currently finally trying to unpack my All-In copy of Sine Tempore (which turned out to be kinda bad) and I'm just annoyed at the developers for how much is in the box. I'm trying to baggie a bunch of tokens and minis and tiles and it's all too much for a game that might not even be worth it.

I have a few games like that. Where I'm doing the punch outs and there's like tokens for 70 different things and there's gotta be a better way. I don't care, give me a supply track board and a bunch of indiscriminate cubes or something, at least I won't have to baggie all this stuff separately or buy another one of those plastic tacklebox things and spend forever sorting through it next time I want to play.