Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's kind of a shame. Any stretch goals to fix that, or is that just how it's gonna be thanks to the Kickstarter budget?
Nah, they said that's the final look to the cards.
I'm just a bit disappointed that the KS didn't get any real traction (and the reward tiers are annoying). I'm considering dropping out, too, but I'll see if anything interesting happens in a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ropes4u posted:

...and This war of mine, which might be a better video game.
With a lot of these non-native English speaker developed games (that are text heavy), I'm more worried that the final product will have a bunch of awkward grammatical errors and typos. Their updates and campaign page have a couple of clunky phrases every so often which gives me pause.
The whole draw is that it has a 1,000 scenario book, so if it's annoying to read, it sours the game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

So, significant Darkest Night 2E update today. In short, they've decided to waive all gameplay-related stretch goals and just pack all of that into every 2E box regardless of whether they reach the previously set goals or not (though non-gameplay stretch goals like the organizer and engraved dice, etc remain in play). But the flip side of that is that they are now only intending to print enough copies to fulfill the Kickstarter with some wiggle room for replacements, etc. So if you were planning to wait and pick it up in stores, that's probably not going to be possible unless the store backed the Kickstarter.
Ugnnnnn, I want it with the miniatures but like $170 after shipping is crazy high. If it was like $120 after shipping, maybe.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone got any thoughts about Anachrony? It's ending in about a day and it seems like an interesting sci-fi worker placement game. Rahdo really loved it and the miniatures to slip your cardboard tokens into seem like a silly but fun addition.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DurdleDuck posted:

Multiple goons may have been harmed in the making of this Kickstarter. I definitely worked some ungodly hours, but we've been more than 150% funded in a day (hit our goal in the first 7 hours!), so it's all worth it??

http://tinyurl.com/jh7xfx9

The base game is a sweet easy-to-learn deckbuilding game for up to 4 people. The expansions add RPG elements - they are not necessary, but they add a different dimension to the game that you might or might not enjoy. Thanks for taking a look and keeping this goon employed!
I do like Star Realms and Epic and all that, so I'm definitely backing at the $72 option. Thanks for offering a single-player option with the campaign stuff.

Epic was a great KS because it delivered just a few months after the campaign ended.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ughhhhh, this stupid Brexit poo poo is making me worry about the Dark Souls and This War of Mine kickstarters (which were in pounds). I sure hope that doesn't seriously screw up their financial situations or just give them an easy excuse to run off and say they ran out of money.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zurui posted:

Cross-post from the Boardgame thread:

I love the concept but the "close up of eyes" art style is really turning me off.
I think it looks pretty strategic and not too pricey. I'm hoping it reaches funding, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

On a more positive note in Kickstarter land, Red Raven Games / Ryan Laukat's latest offering Near and Far went up yesterday and looks amazing. It's a direct sequel to his 2015 game Above and Below, which featured light euro mechanics of semi-worker placement and set collection, blended with some light storytelling as well. The new one is a totally different game mechanically, but follows the same idea of a mechanically sound game with story elements. From the looks of it he's improved the story elements a bit this time around, and also is including a campaign mode. Looks pretty stellar.
I'm loving the map book and adding the KS exclusive A&B book/tokens for people like me who only picked up the retail version.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zark the Damned posted:

So there's an Armoured Core 'RTS' Board Game on KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game

Not sure if it'll be any good or it it's gonna be another minis heavy trash game...
The realtime element throws me off. Like in the video all 4 players are constantly moving pieces and adjusting cubes and I just know that a session would be stopped by people going "wait, no you didn't hit me" or "what do I have to remove now from my board?" and suddenly the time limit is out the window. Why didn't they just make it turn-based?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pretty funny development at the Cryptozoic Walking Dead KS: they got funded at $250,000, then stalled to about $265,000 after a while, and now it just went back down to its funding goal in about a day of losses and will probably get unfunded.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

Yeah, they're looking at restructuring it and probably relaunching altogether. It's a solid enough game, and the designers (the Sadlers) have a lot of good reputation, but the layout of the campaign I think put off a lot of people. Hopefully they improve it with whatever they're doing going forward.
I only gave it a second look because Rahdo raved about it. It might be better off launching cheaper at retail with standees instead of miniatures.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

They totally fixed the Walking Dead KS, adding a lower tier for the base game, incorporating both expansions into the previous main pledge (with early birds still available), and tacking on a ton of extra characters instead of holding them behind stretch goals. I'm a lot more satisfied with what they came up with now, but it's a shame they don't just restart. They have 6 days left but they'd probably make more if they relaunched.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Big announcement from the makers of the Armored CoreMech Command RTS board game:
So yeah, you should probably bail out now.
LOL, hooooly poo poo. Geez, could you imagine if the Dark Souls KS made the same announcement now after taking $5 million?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gendail posted:

I'd hate to be the person trying to cancel my pledge, only to realize I can't because it will bring the project below funding. Cancel now while you can!!!
Pretty sure you can cancel even if it would unfund the project. That happened to The Walking Dead Cryptozoic KS before they revamped it and gave everyone what they wanted.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oooooh, finally what we've been waiting for!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817579974/pc-police-the-cure-for-political-correctness-gone

Time to take down those despicable "PC Police" through a lovely Monopoly-style board game!
:jerkbag:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Even if Mech Command was still Armored Core, the gameplay video really turned me off. That real-time nature just looked like a headache of "uh, I hit you / no u didn't / wait, what did i do here / ugh, i'm wasting time because i don't know what to do" arguments.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Want a game that can fit into your pocket? Mint Works is a worker placement game that fits into a mint tin.
Mint Works is great and there's a PnP prototype you can print out (only 2 sheets!) from when it was in a PnP competition on BGG.
I'm currently about to beta test the solo mode for the designer after volunteering through the KS.

Edit: Here's the link to the BGG thread with the PnP file.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399593/mint-works-2015-mint-tin-design-contest-entry-cont

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Impermanent posted:

Isaac Childres has put the full rulebook for Gloomhaven up in the most recent post on the kickstarter. It's pretty much sold me on the game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/posts/1677726
I'm just happy and amazed to get a game in a box this big that weighs 19 pounds:

It's kind of insane.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

NTRabbit posted:

Hasslefree just put up their first KS, which is for a series of characters that each come in 3 versions - properly attired for the role, pinup, and :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hfminis/kev-white-does-matt-dixon-female-fantasy-miniature :nws: obviously
As a major complaint, on the mini that they show as an example, the face doesn't even look anywhere close to the artwork. Seems like the sculptor spent too much time on the body...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

I've backed FUnfair, a game about building a theme park. Rules seem light, there's some variety of setup, might be a bit random depending on cards but I like the art and layout.

Last few days of the kickstarter as well!
I like the game, but $50 seems a bit steep, especially since the only KS exclusives are 12 "preview" cards from future expansions. I just know I'll be able to get it cheaper from CSI or Miniature Market or whatever when it hits retail without losing anything important.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Quixotic1 posted:

Beer Empire: The Board Game

Just got put on kickstarter yesterday and is at the halfway point, I'm digging the theme, if not the art as much. Haven't backed it as I haven't had the chance to look in depth at the company of gameplay.
I thought it was a steal at the $25 early bird so I quickly grabbed that option while it was available.

...then I checked back on the campaign page and saw $13 shipping to the US, making the game $38 even at the cheapest "Early Bird." Cancelled the pledge.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

NTRabbit posted:

That must have been horrible for you
Eh, just figured that there are already a couple of brewing related games, so I'd only back it if it was a great deal.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jmzero posted:

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but their last game - RESISTOR - also looked pretty cool visually. Unfortunately, it was pretty much one big glaring game design problem, got tepid reviews overall, and I think was forgotten about pretty quickly.

So yeah, I really like the visuals and the boxes here, but I have no faith in their ability to design a game.
I'm also worried about it truly supporting 2-player gameplay when a lot rides on player interaction and the way the lines stretch across the table.

I'm optimistic, but I might pull out by the end if no reviews come out. They have a section for reviews on the project page, but it's just two super-short text blurbs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thespaceinvader posted:

Given that it seems to be straight up using x-wing templates is there any reason I can't play this game with x-wing stuff, whatever it is?
Yeah, besides the aesthetic, which I'll agree is pretty slick, the game is essentially playing with pieces that some people already own. It's like releasing a game you play only with chess pieces, but they're hot pink and neon green. Crap, I think I'm unconvincing myself as I think about it more.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, so that Deep Madness game is just a pile of poo poo, mechanically. I've been reading the rules and if you expect a good game out of this you're going to be disappointed.

Thoughts:

There's a doom track. More on this in a second, but keep in mind: there's a doom track, and rooms get corrupted and monsters get spawned whenever you move up the doom track. One kinda-cool thing is that the doom track is scenario specific.

The way the turns work is that an investigator goes, then ALL of one type of monster goes, then another investigator, etc.

Monsters appear at random spots in the newly-corrupted rooms and, here's the kicker, activate normally on the turn they appear. They are pulled from a random, pre-built, scenario specific deck. Oof this is so bad. No planning, no reaction, nothing. Just draw a card, place the monsters, an investigator (not chosen by the players, but determined by the game) goes, then activate them, and take your licks (the monsters do activate in sequence with the investigators so you're not gonna get completely mobbed - but still! only a chance for one random guy to react before those new critters can potentially retaliate). There's this real cop-out mechanic bolted on, though: the players can prevent the newly spawned monsters from activating by moving the doom track up another tick. This means that more monsters spawn and another room gets corrupted. It doesn't say if you're supposed to move those new monsters too but I imagine you aren't because otherwise we've got infinite recursion. Anyway that's a pretty bad trade, particularly because we're not talking about one monster. These are spawn cards that can bring multiple opponents in. Two turns worth of multiple opponents at later stages in the game (where you might be spawning 4 monsters per turn, so dumping 8 minis on the board) would be bad.

If you are in a submerged room and you don't have oxygen you roll a die. You can either be completely unscathed, take wounds, or die instantly. LOL good game design right there. Basically: stay the hell out of submerged rooms.

There's a fatigue mechanic. It's called Sanity. You use it to reroll dice, move extra spaces, etc. Nothing new here. You have a Sanity stat and you put brain tokens on your sheet as you spend it. Well except if you kill monsters, then you flip some of the brain tokens over to "madness". If you get 3 madness tokens you clear 3 and take a madness card. The madness card is pokey poo poo like "take a wound". (in fact there's a ton of these little "pokes" all around the rules, stacking +1/-1 stuff, huge red light there).

So if you think about this, fighting monsters with no Sanity expended (no little brain markers on your character sheet) is extremely good because you don't get madness. BUT it's even better because if you kill a monster and don't flip any tokens to madness you get a a Consciousness card, which is a nice little buff. And there's no limit on the amount of these you can get. AND you can trade 10 of them to prevent the doom track from advancing. So, this just encourages players to load a guy up with the best weapon and equipment and absolutely go to town on the critters, which will make him even better at going to town on them, rinse and repeat.

If an investigator dies, every time their turn WOULD have come up, you roll a die and add a madness token to somebody. Little bit of a death spiral mechanic there. Good news: the type of monster that would have activated after the dead investigator's turn doesn't, so that's good.

The biggest thing I'm seeing is that the game doesn't take the "kill a monster with no sanity expended and get a buff" mechanic seriously, and how powerful it is. So you get corrupted room effects like "spend a sanity to enter this room" and it's like, holy poo poo, that basically keeps people from getting in combat in that room if at all possible. Since this is a game of resource conservation and randomness you want to stay the hell out of those kinds of situations.

In other words, only back this game if you want the minis. The rules feel very amateurish.
Thanks for the analysis. I had grabbed an early bird just for the better pricing, but I had a feeling I would drop it by project's end.
I hate when the only video previews are by UndeadViking (or BoardGameBrawl) because that gives off "bad game / paid preview" vibes. I need the Rahdo stamp of approval most times.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

New "Tiny Epic" game up on KS:
Tiny Epic Quest - Introducing ITEMeeples

I'm a fan of these small-box games that usually have a much larger than expected amount of depth to them. Gotta admit that equippable Meeple idea is pretty cool.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

So there's this: Way of the Fighter. I'm already put off by the dice rolling mechanism, but I need to do a more thorough analysis. It's Soda Pop though so I'm hesitant. I also already have two fighting games and I don't think I need a third.
I dunno, I like Soda Pop Mini stuff somewhat (mainly for Super Dungeon Explore's minis and artwork), but they're not very good game designers. I watched one of the example videos they have and it looks suuuuuuuper fiddly.

I'm also kind of annoyed at how they seem to be lost in the weeds as to how to fix Super Dungeon Explore for its 2nd edition. Every KS update they give is a change to the beta ruleset and people commenting about how the change they just did broke the game in some way.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 15, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nice looking solo/co-op card game called Legends Untold that still has Early Bird pricing for the next hour or so.

It looks like it starts with the Caves set and they'll unlock a Sewers pack to add-on once they raise enough money. Could be a fun adventure game to campaign through with different packs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In case anyone hasn't noticed, everyone's "favorite" booby-miniature game, Kingdom Death: Monster is relaunching a KS and it's making money hand-over-fist.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15

Way too rich for my blood and I don't think I'd be up for assembling miniatures.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Doodmons posted:

Who the gently caress spends $1000 on unpainted plastic barbies?
And then you have to actually trim/assemble/glue all the little bits together yourself.
It sounds like a full-time job just to start playing the game.

I like board games with minis like Descent or Battlelore, but there's no way I'm putting the figures together, sorry.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jimbozig posted:

What???

If you play board games every week, you will need to buy a new game every few months maybe. So if you pay an average of $40 (sometimes the new game will be like a $15 card game, other times an $80 premium thing, but $40 seems a reasonable average), then you are spending about $160/year. That's equivalent to seeing a movie once a month or buying a few video games a year (or a whack of little indie games). I pay that much to play ball hockey or frisbee once a week for 4 months. Dance lessons are similar or more expensive than ball hockey. How is board gaming in any way an expensive hobby?

And that $160 assumes that only a couple of you bring new games. If everyone chipped in, you could easily play weekly with new games when things start to get stale for under $100/year each

On top of that, it's easy to get people to buy you board games for Christmas and Birthdays. I've been growing my collection at a reasonable pace and have paid like $80 for my own games in the last year or so.

RPGs are even cheaper, but I'm sticking to just board games here.

Now if you were just talking about minis, I'd agree - minis is an expensive hobby - but you specified minis or not.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno if this really represents the typical "board gamer" at this point. I know I went in hard collecting board games after I discovered "modern" games and it's definitely not the budget you're describing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of minis, the Darkest Night KS had an update where they showed of their factory samples and they looked kinda underwhelming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/darkest-night-second-edition-0/posts/1783761

I guess it's to be expected of a company's first minis game, but it's disappointing since the project's delivery date is now July. At least it has a good game behind it (from what I've read), regardless.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dwarf74 posted:

Hmm, Gamelyn's (the guys who were doing all the Tiny Epic games) Heroes of Land, Sea, and Air kickstarter was cancelled after hitting 250% of the "goal."

It seems like they ran afoul of the "Setting your real funding goal well into the stretch goals" problem. And the "trying to convert people who've backed $20 games into backing your new $150 game not working out so well" problem.

There also might have been some kind of Kickstarter glitch? I am really not sure, on this one.
I like the affordable "Tiny Epic" games, but that Heroes of Land/Sea/Air thing was just wayyyyy overpriced and unappealing at that kind of commitment.

EDIT: Here's their statement, they're going to relaunch in May for a cheaper price:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/heroes-of-land-air-and-sea-featuring-pre-painted-m-0/posts/1800144

The funny thing is I think they already cancelled their first launch because the prices were too high. So this, I believe, is the second time they're lowering the prices. I dunno, unless it's around mayyyybe $70, it just seems way too high.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 13, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jedit posted:

I think Gamelyn just thought minis were easier than they are, and also misjudged their audience. I suspect the relaunch will have standees as the default option.
Nope, the re-launch announcement FAQ said they're getting rid of the Standee version because it doesn't suit their vision for the game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

I got my copy the other day as well, and frankly the rules aren't greatly written. It is a pretty simple game all said, but there was a lot of flipping back and forth and looking for clarifications that were only inferred from context clues.

Have only played the solo mode so far, but seems to be a successful at accomplishing what it set out t do: easy, short, strategy game with worker placement as it's core mechanism. It's diminutive size means I'll never be sad to keep it around as a new portable/travel game.
I even got to playtest the solo mode to give some early feedback, so it's pretty cool that I ended up in the credits. Really happy with how the KS campaign turned out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How about another brilliant politically-themed card game!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676317460/slap-the-jackass-hillary-edition?ref=category_newest

Can't anyone tell these poor sods that they shouldn't even bother launching the KS? They're never going to get funded unless the goal is like $10.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

My copy of Gloomhaven just arrived and man, that thing is enormous. Can't wait to paint the first minis and start playing!
This might be my favorite Kickstarter project. It was less than $100, delivered in a little over a year, no crazy amount of add-ons needed, yet it has soooo drat much included. I'm obsessed with starting it soon. I don't even mind some of the legacy elements (where I normally might be averse to permanently marking something so pretty) because adding stickers to the map actually makes it look better and you can always roll a new party to play old scenarios anyhow.

It's so freaking cool.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Leperflesh posted:

It's <video game> but in board game format! Has that ever resulted in a good game?
SUPERHOT The Card Game might fit that bill. Agent Decker, which it's based on, was a great little solitaire PnP game.
About 20 hours to go on that KS and you apparently get a Steam key for the PC game included at the $15 and up levels.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

Weta/CZE's GKR: Heavy Hitters campaign is live.

Shipping is a pretty ugly mar on the otherwise great looking campaign, but it is a HUGE loving box & top notch components.
Shipping's definitely the big problem for me. I'll star it and check in again to see the stretch goals later maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/basketofdeplorables/basket-of-deplorables-the-board-game?ref=category_newest

Haha, here's another stupid political board game KS. This time it's actually anti-Trump as opposed to a kneejerk anti-Clinton/liberals game, but it's just as stupid and poorly thought out as the rest.

I seriously don't know who would want to pledge for this poo poo.