Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Yea it's clearly Stoops holding the offense back. Well, he can come back and be the FSU DC when he gets fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

MourningView posted:

Whose fault is it? His biggest selling point is that he's recruited well so I'm not sure how you can blame talent. He's already had multiple OCs so it's hard to say he just needs a change there. At some point the lack of progress has to be on him. And it's not like the defense is good either, they just gave up 45 to a Florida team that struggled to move the ball against UMass. He can be a good coordinator without being a good head coach, lots of guys are.

I wasn't being sarcastic. He's got talent and had multiple OC's who are all suddenly incompetent under him. It's definitely his fault.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

COACH O RIDES AGAIN! This is the best Sunday news.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Will Bill Taggart go anywhere? He seems to have made USF not suck and they're ranked for the first time in five years.

According to my dad all the local Tampa papers are saying he's actively looking for a bigger job.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's going to be Chip.

This is my bet too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Rhule's a decent hire for a poo poo school

ESPN posted:

The Owls will play Wake Forest in the Military Defense Contractor's Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman on Dec. 27, and sources told ESPN that assistant head coach/tight ends coach Ed Foley will serve as the interim head coach.

That' a little more accurate.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

This is who they should have been going after hard since the beginning. They might fall rear end backwards into a good fit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Schiano going back to Tampa after his horrible stint with the Bucs would be loving hilarious.

This would be so dumb of the USF AD. That man is loving reviled in Tampa.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

Of course he will, it's football.

And he's an angry middle aged white man. 100% he gets another chance

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Seriously amazing hire for USF

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Harbaugh to LA seems ridiculous but there are three decent reasons for it happening:

1: Kroenke can out pay anyone.

2: Rams actually have a lot of decent young talent that's been drastically underutilized

3: The opportunity to skullfuck the 49ers twice a year.

Still don't think it'll happen though.

In fact I'd be way more worried about the Indianapolis job opening up if I were a Michigan fan.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Holy poo poo that's a great hire for Oregon. drat, I was hoping Oregon would stay lovely for another 3 years.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why? As you know, Penn State has strip mined Maryland. Maryland does not have a good football history at all. They have significantly worse facilities and worse fan support than Rutgers. All they have on Rutgers is a lot of Under Armour money.

Under Armour money is really all the difference they need to have a higher ceiling than Rutgers.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

mutinies are incredibly on-brand for the boat team

:lol: Perfect

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

MourningView posted:

Brian Ferentz is now officially the OC. Hiring someone named Ferentz obviously looks really boring and uninspired, and it is to some extent, but I also think he's a good coach. He has a really good resume for someone who is only like 33. The run game at Iowa took a huge step forward once he was named run game coordiantor and definitely was not the issue with the offense this season. I also like that he had the time with the Pats working with Bill O'Brien given what O'Brien's Penn State offenses were like. I get why people would make fun of it but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hey man, no need to to defend the pick. In Trumplandia nepotism is how all business is run. Congrats on being at the forefront of the movement with our glorious new leader.

(What is it with great coaches trying to push their sons into coaching? Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Ferentz, Bowden, Buddy Ryan, etc...?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

For a nominal meritocracy sports loves nepotism on basically every level (players, coaches, announcers).

Just like America!

You see this a lot in the military too, which is even more infuriating.

MourningView posted:

I don't think he really pushed him, other than helping him get a crappy scouting gig with Belichick after he got hurt and washed out as a player. From there Brian has genuinely done a really good job. He turned his gift admin job into a legit coaching role with the Pats and impressed everyone there. He was in the running to take over for O'Brien as OC before McDaniels went back and O'Brien tried like hell to get him as oline coach with the Texans. Everyone around the Pats was talking about him as a future head coach within like a year. And at Iowa he completely turned around the running game and got a ton out of a banged up offensive line starting multiple walk ons. He's been the best coach on staff outside of Phil Parker.

Lots of coaches were the sons of coaches at some level, just assuming he's bad because Jeff Bowden sucked seems pretty lazy.

I didn't say anything about assuming he was bad. I was merely pointing out that nepotism is a hell of a thing in football, but if he really wanted to prove himself he'd try to do it on a team that's not Daddy's rather than have some mild success on the Pats and then leap to Daddy's team to move up the ranks. It's definitely a flaw of mine but I can't respect those people at all.

• Locked thread