Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

pillsburysoldier posted:

That's a part of it. We shouldn't need our star players to get other players lined up against the right guys players to their correct assignments at least twice every drive. The DEs are fine and the DTs are okay, we've had to put in walk on LBs three times already because LBs 'aren't ready' in spite of being completely healthy and getting good reviews throughout the camp. The play where Derwin got hurt is because our LB just decided to cover the running back out of the backfield when he should've been on the slot or TE or whoever. "Being like Bama" is one thing but even getting lined up correctly in the first place sounds like the coaches can't teach.

Isn't part of the issue that the LBs have had guys like Matthew Thomas or Kilby-Lane who spent like two years on the roster getting dog-housed for grades or things like that? That lack of consistency/recruits playing when needed has a nasty tendency of throwing guys off, as I remember from the late Tressel years.

MourningView posted:

OL and injuries seem like way bigger issues than the defense but sure whatever fire everyone they lost a game why can't we be Alabama?

I would say the playcalling is making this even worse for them. Cook may be hurt, but you still have Patrick as well, and you should be running those guys as much as possible to keep that OL the gently caress away from pass protection right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

MourningView posted:

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/repo...m_medium=Social

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

I hope someone calls the wrong Stoops brother and we end up with Mike or Mark somehow making it to an in-person interview before someone goes "oh crap wrong Stoops, that's our bad,"

So, if Brian Kelly gets canned because of his weirdo fanbase, where does he land? Can he walk into another P5 job, or is it going to take some rehab at an FIU of sorts before then?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Babers checks a lot of boxes. I'd probably put him on my second tier of realistic choices for the next guy at Texas. Outside of total pipe dreams (Urban, Saban), I've basically got three groups going. People who would win a fuckton of games but are too tainted include Bobby Petrino, Art Briles, Hugh Freeze, and probably Phil Montgomery (if he'd submit to a really serious interview, possibly involving a polygraph, I would consider moving him into another category). First tier of realistic hires includes Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora, and Chris Petersen if we could get him. Second tier of realistic choices looks something like Gary Patterson, Bryan Harsin, Dino Babers, maybe even Chad Morris.

On some level it seems like we should at least call Chip Kelly, but he supposedly despises dealing with boosters and he's got his own history of shadiness, so I'm crossing him off. I absolutely do not want someone not named Nick Saban who's going to come in here and try to run a pro-style offense, so that means crossing off some other very accomplished people (Fisher, Richt, most everyone from the B1G, etc). If we're gonna play ball control let's do it the Holgo/Morris way.

And for heaven's sake can we please steal Tony Gibson away from WVU to be our DC?

I'm going to exclude the pipe dreams from my analysis.

- Petrino's buyout makes that unlikely, and he's not exactly the Texas "Glad hand HS coaches and go to all the BBQs" type that I think your boosters are going to demand.
- If Texas actually hired Briles, the real search is going to be for a litigator that'll be willing to defend them
- Freeze runs a HS offense that has been crazy talented but never consistent, and he's probably radioactive with how that school's gone.
- Montgomery would be interesting, but he probably demands the chance to take a bunch of the Baylor coaches over with him and is a non-starter.

- Fuente would be a great hire, and he's rocking a $7 Million buyout through bowl season that only drops to $6 million. That said, he's got it pretty much made at VT. He's in the coastal, so really Miami and UNC are his only real competition keeping his out of the ACCCG every year. He's already the third highest-paid coach in the conference. I'm not sure he's willing to Todd Graham himself by leaving after a year either.
- Tom Herman is probably the most likely option. He's a "Texas" guy who has local relationships, runs a spread that still incorporates some of the man-ball elements you should have at a school like Texas, and Houston is now solidly a tier-2 job because of the Big 12 fiasco. The SMU loss was stupid, but the guy has lost 3 games in 2 years with a team that he's barely even been able to use his own recruits with yet.
- Fedora might be the dark-horse here and would be awesome for the offense, but my god can he not put a defense together. With the issues Charlie's had this year, I think you can only hire Fedora if you like staple a Dave Aranda-level coordinator to him defensively.
- Chris Petersen turned down USC for Washington and has been floated for every major opening known to man since Boise. He's an incredible coach, but he's also Pacific NW as gently caress and probably not a super fit for the Texas booster culture or anything like that. Remember how Gary Andersen was at Wisconsin? It's probably that.

- Patterson has never left TCU for anything in however many years he's been there at this point and may be too much of an egomaniac/control freak for Texas.
- Harsin could turn out really well, considering he's shown a crazy amount of offensive flexibility and actually made Boise look pretty good on defense too. There's always danger in taking the caretaker of someone else's program, but he's definitely a solid B-option and has been successful everywhere
- Babers would be absolutely unreal with that offense considering what he did with the personnel at BG and Syracuse, but he's going to have similar issues to Fedora where he's never put a competent defense together as a HC.
- Chad Morris is the ultimate boom/bust for the position. He's made SMU somewhat competitive, but he's been dealing with the absolute tirefire that is being at modern SMU on the recruitment and program building sides. If he's as good at offense as he was at Clemson, he probably gets Texas to 8-9 wins on that alone, but he's going to face concerns over the fact that he's fairly comparable to Herman in terms of career path and circumstance but hasn't recruited at that level or had quite that level of success, even though Houston had a way better initial roster.

Kelly's not going to a school where he has to be accountable to more than a handful of people, considering how hellbent he's been on staying in the NFL. Much less, the problem with Kelly is that he's never just settling down somewhere. Saban ain't ever leaving. Maybe you'll see someone like Fisher get approached, but he's probably got an equivalent situation at FSU without nearly the level of booster pressure--plus he's got the added issue of having his kids in Florida where his ex has custody making that even less likely.

The only Big 10 guy I see as a serious question is Dantonio, and he's probably never leaving Lansing at this point considering they've done whatever he's wanted since arriving. That division just got way more competitive/annoying for him though, so maybe he considers greener pastures at the flagship school in the Big 12. Frankly, if you're looking at the midwest, just pay PJ Fleck and be done with it, since he's taken an absolute dumpster fire of a program and made it look like a potential G5 NY6 representative.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

MourningView posted:

Gruden would probably be fine as a recruiter. He's a super famous charismatic dude who could flash a super bowl ring and he seems to connect well with players during the draft stuff. He would be a goddamn disaster on the field. His over complicated bullshit offense with the 5 million play playbook is the exact opposite of where college football is going and of what everyone does at the high school level in Texas.

I dream of a world where Jon Gruden shows up at EMCC and has this pitch.

"*Insert QB Name here*, I was a respected NFL coach, and I'll prepare you very well. For example, look at how I"ll coach you to run Spider Y Banana"

*45 minute digression on intricacies of play*

"Coach I really like how you're taking a simple play and coaching it well, like what Oregon told us they do."

"Good, *Drops playbook on desk showing play is one of 100s* I haven't even covered the gameplan for the spring game yet. Go brew some coffee."

His last playbook was literally like 900 pages. I want you to imagine a world where, say, Chad Kelly gets handed that playbook and told to start reading.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

HAWKINS IS BACK MOTHER FUCKERS

That's World Champion Danny Hawkins to you, sir

I'm legit sad about this because Sirius's college station uses him to create a pick 'em of 5 obscure-as-gently caress games every week that's always great. Plus, he's coached the US to victory multiple times in the saddest international gridiron football competition around that even sad trombone doesn't fail to describe.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Sounds like Baylor is heavily targeting Chad Morris.

This is probably really smart from a scheme standpoint since Baylor's offensive personnel is arranged well for a smashmouth spread right now, since Morris is somewhere between Malzahn and Briles in how he designs his offense. Lots of 11 personnel with triple option elements, frequent bombs to keep the other guy honest. Would also be the second time in his life Morris has replaced Briles at a school. Lets Baylor keep the gravy train going with Texas high school coaches too which has been absolutely critical for them.

On the other hand, gently caress baylor.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

OSU Co-DC Fickell is being rumored for the FAU head coach job, there is a relationship with the AD there. If he goes and Schiano finds a HC job, could leave OSU looking for a DC and Urbz may call up his old friend Charlie Strong.

Can't believe it's taken this long for him to get attention, but he's got that weird Addazio quality where he's a great position coach, garbage coordinator, who may turn out to be decent as a HC. He'd recruit pretty well down there, but you really hope he doesn't just pitch the Tresselball they played at OSU during his interim time.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

dphi posted:

Can you shed any details on the type of system he likes to run? I'll have to read up on him when I get out of work.

They call it a gulf coast offense. It's basically what you do if you want to run a system with a Harbaugh/Petrino-style passing tree but just don't have the linemen to block for it consistently so you run it from the gun.

- 1 Vertical option on every play regardless of what it is
- Baylor style receiver splits that make coverages faster to read at the expense of being beaten hard if the opposing corners match up well
- Heavy ability to shift pre-snap/emphasis on changing alignments to gain advantage
- Option style running that incorporates both power blocking and zone with emphasis on buck sweep, power 0, and Midline zone read options

It would be a ridiculously good fit with what Oregon has historically done on offense and could be a pretty natural shift into his system, but it also means you're completely dependent on his hire at DC to fix that lovely defense.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Korranus posted:

Speaking of Jeff Brohm, is he looking to move somewhere else or is he just kind of parked there til something happens to Bobby Petrino?

I want to believe someone in the SEC jumps at him in a year after realizing that just hiring all the Saban assistants hasn't actually beaten Saban, but if the guy wants the U of L job, he could be waiting a while since Petrino's probably not winning the ACC next year either with FSU bringing back what they do. I could see Brohm landing somewhere like Tennessee or maybe Ole Miss if they get tired of Freeze since those teams will live and die by the success of the offense.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

June Jones is now the athletic director at St. Louis School in Hawai'i, an all-boys catholic college prep school.

huh.

Good for him. If you have the money to live there, just take some figurehead job in Hawaii and never leave.

My office had a "Goodbye Tommy Tuberville" cake this morning, just in time for Charlie Strong to be a shortlist candidate. I think it'd be a good hire, but the locals here are more than a little alarmed at the concept of hiring a defensive-minded Big 12 burnout again.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

I think Brohm winding up there would be awesome, and I could see them going after Ed Warinner too.

If someone is dumb enough to take Ed Warriner after the absolute fiasco that's been the Ohio State offense for the last two years, then they can have him with our blessing. Hell, they can take Tim Beck too. The man designs an offense like Steve Addazio and could maybe be that good of a HC, but I highly doubt it. Coombs might fit the area better but has no record beyond being a position coach. I guess Schiano could turn them into something as well. Really just pick an OSU assistant, and that could be a rumor. Everyone I know down here is talking themselves into Brian Kelly totally wanting to come back which...lol.

Brohm to Purdue is far better than they deserve. Hope they're willing to throw money at facilities with it too.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Good hire in terms of keeping explosion on the offense, but no idea how this is going to fix that tire fire of a defense one bit. His defensive staff is going to be the real question, and hopefully they don't continue stupid crap like "let's run the 4-3 over in the Pac-12 in 2016".

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

YES PLEASE TAKE HIM AND TAKE TIM BECK AWAY TOO

Dear god if WKU actually bails Urban out of his ridiculous playcalling arrangement at present they will be my new favorite G5 team. I don't know who actually looks at the OSU offense this season and says "yes please" outside of like the Nebraska/BG/Oklahoma games. Warriner is a really nice dude, and he's a Kentucky native, but he runs the Scuba Steve spread in the single most maddening way possible. It's like we took the old Bollman playcall sheet and ran it from the gun.

In UC news, I would be super happy if Luke Fickell finally gets a shot somewhere, even though he's done that weird Mike Bobo thing where he became competent when no one was looking/after having his ego destroyed by Chris Ash for 2 years. However, if he brings Kerry Coombs to UC, I'm going to be really goddamn angry because Coombs is my favorite position coach we've ever had. Dude's close to retirement age and still insists on working out with the DBs every day. He could keep a lot of Cincinnati guys home, which I would not be particularly happy about since Urban's gotten an absurd amount of talent out of the Cincy-Dayton corridor. All that said, UC is a total wild card right now. The university is on an interim-interim president, and the board is not likely going to approve anything too splashy by the AD right now after the Big 12 bid blew up in their face and Tuberville flamed out, especially now that they're having to replace at least 2-3 top Uni officials as well.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

Kerry Coombs was at UC with Brian Kelly and I wouldn't be that surprised to see him go back.

He still has a house down here, and it's likely he would be promoted to UC's DC if he comes down. He's still really well like from his days at Colerain and the like, so he honestly might be a bigger coup than Fickell for them. Both are fantastic recruiters, but Coombs is exactly what that program needs right now.

If that's the case and Warriner is in play, Urban's potentially replacing three assistants, maybe more if Schiano goes somewhere. Like, it could literally turn into:

OC/QB: Tim Beck (ugh)
OC/TE: Vacant
OL: Greg Studrawa (ugh)
WR: Zach Smith (who is frankly employed almost entirely for his recruiting ability)
RB: Tony Alford (See Smith, Zach)

DC/Safeties: Vacant
DC/LBs: Vacant
D-Line: Larry Johnson (The best technical assistant we've ever had)
CBs: Vacant

Is that the most vacancies ever created off an existing staff, or am I crazy?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

an adult beverage posted:

Hopefully Boston College fires Scuba Steve and then he can be reunited with Urbz as his OC!

Admittedly, OSU has survived it's HB Dive phase just because we aren't trying to do it while using John Brantley, Chris Rainey, and Jeff Demps as various flavors of inside running. The Addazio comparison at this point is heavily oriented around the similar lack of passing game

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

MourningView posted:

If he leaves I am definitely going to spend the next decade or more claiming that Ferentz ran him out of college football.

Though I want to claim this to be Urban's victory as a Buckeye fan, I'm willing to embrace the utter bullshit of conference solidarity if it means that I get to claim a man whose splashiest offseason move was when his favorite flavor of ice cream changed is responsible for running Harbaugh out of the Big 10.

201x NCAA Coaching Carousel: The Milkman Goeth

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Ehud posted:

Now we can be bad on both sides of the ball.

At least this may speed up Mac's firing?

Maybe you can hire Brady Hoke and have him gone before Halloween even.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Regnevelc posted:

Dantonio, Franklin, and Meyer is my guess.

This. My understanding of Saban is that for all the shady stuff he used to do with oversigning or grayshirts (that pretty much every coach is guilty of at this point including my own), he, at least personally, never really negatively recruits. Now, I can tell you right now that Urban negs the gently caress out of other Big 10 coaches whenever possible to the point where Bert used to throw hissy fits at Wisconsin and Franklin screamed bloody murder about it. Urban pretty openly doesn't give a single gently caress about conference solidarity on the recruiting trail. That said, Kelly is absolutely the type of person to play this card, although I would think it backfires pretty easily when someone asks about his own job status. Dantonio is extremely likely considering he's in a position to lose the most from Michigan getting back to form. Franklin also has the most to gain from doing it, but I would think "Come play for the conference champ where we can still get you early playing time" is more likely to work, and their recruiting overlap isn't as heavy as some of the others.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

I really doubt this would happen, but an offense designed and operated by Tom Herman and Sterlin Gilbert would not make me sad in the least.

In other dubious news, I've seen some speculation that it's Warriner from tOSU, but that seems really hard to believe. Why would that dude be looking to make a move to the same position at a program that's in much worse shape?

We're only paying him like $600K, and he's one of the best O-line/run game coaches in the business. Not to mention Buckeye fans are souring on him real fast with how vanilla the offense has gotten since the championship. All that in mind, you don't want him within 100 feet of your passing game or playcalls unless you like watching what Brian Schottenheimer would call on 3rd down from a spread. He's new Steve Addazio without the fun nickname.

That said, if you had a brain trust of Herman with Gilbert/Warriner co-coordinating, you could be terrifying since Gilbert has demonstrated he can at least design a logical passing game and call plays, as can Herman.

As an aside, OSU hired literally Urban Meyer's best man as their new LBs coach, and I have no idea what to make of it beyond him being like a 12 year NFL coach who hasn't recruited since the 90's. He's been in the back room for a bit, but still perplexing as hell. I assume this means Coombs is taking over on-field adjustments with Schiano still in the booth. Also someone please hire Warriner and Beck away before I have to watch JT regress to Braxton Miller circa 2011 levels of mechnics.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

I thought Beck was the one everyone hated. He's been rumored too. I guess that Rutgers dude is supposed to be the "passing game coordinator," though. Hopefully at the end of the day it's Herman's offense regardless.

Anyway, if "vanilla" is the problem, then Sterlin Gilbert is certainly not an antidote. With extremely rare exceptions we either ran the ball between the tackles, threw a quick horizontal pass, or a deep pass straight down the sidelines. That was it. That was the whole offense. And before our QB got dinged up it worked pretty great, since he could reliably hit receivers in stride if they outran their defenders down the sideline, and D'onta Foreman made teams work really hard to defend those runs up the middle. We could just let them pick their poison and give it to them. Too bad our defense was horrible.

It's a bit nuanced.

Fundamentally, OSU's problem right now is that they can stretch the field horizontally all day but can't do poo poo vertically. Part of that has been the Isaiah Prince experience at RT getting Barrett lit up early and turning him into captain checkdown. Part of that is the absurd WR rotation that keeps him from developing any real timing with guys. Part of it is that we just don't call deep shots right now, partially because we had some games with crazy wind and partially because it's Barrett's biggest weakness. Of those, Prince's lack of development is partially on Warriner for just not giving him help in favor of letting Marcus Baugh run routes and drop passes and partially on him being incredibly young while adapting to Studrawa at OL coach. The WR Rotation is really both Beck and Zach Smith's faults as passing game coordinators since they refuse to admit that you can't run a passing game like a 7-on-7 in a real game though Warriner should have the sense to tell them to knock it off as the playcaller. The playcalling is completely on Warriner and Beck. When you look at those issues, Warriner is the one constant with Beck lagging just behind him.

Beck as a mechanics coach is aggressively mediocre rather than outright terrible to correct myself; it's him as a schematic instructor for QBs that's really troubling right now. Barrett's developed some bad mechanical habits, but I think that's as much a factor of being shellshocked from having a turnstile at RT and not having the TE helping with pass blocking as it is Beck being an overly conservative coach in terms of progression reads. If you look, he's clearly enforced a 2-read then check progression that Herman openly despised because it took away options that show up when receivers can just sit in zone soft spots and wait for a ball while QBs/lines buy time. That 3rd/4th read was why games like the 2014 playoffs worked out, since it was usually a slot guy busting open late, a soft boundary spot a receiver finds after their break, or a downfield threat separating that made the passing game work (Jalin Marshall and Devin Smith applying pressure or Michael Thomas being able to sit down in an open hook). Watch Houston's passing from this past year against Oklahoma and you'll see what I mean about that instruction. Now, part of the new edict is because they know that the pass protection (read: Isaiah Prince's flailing and Billy Price's heroic attempts to play the whole right side by himself) is suspect, and part of that is because there hasn't a consistently capable deep threat or route runner that they're willing to draw in as a 3rd/4th read worth the risk of Barrett having to rush a throw or take a hit. But that's still completely inexcusable for a team with the level of talent OSU has on offense. Seriously, watch the number of plays this year where Barrett reads something to the tune of "Brown, Samuel, check to Weber" or "Campbell, Hill, check to Baugh". It's uncanny.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Word is Beck didn't actually call any plays and Ed Warriner is the one who sucks. I can buy that, tbh.

And it's looking like Kevin Wilson might seriously be the OC at OSU next year.

The rumor I saw was Beck and Warriner follow Herman to Texas. Wilson becomes OC, Studrawa is the main offensive line coach now and Ryan Day comes in to be QB coach.

From what I understand, Herman installs the offense and the gameday playcalling was all done by Applewhite.

I look at Warriner the way I looked at Fickell 3 years ago, which was that he was a fantastic position coach in the front 7 and could get alignments handled but had no business making defensive playcalls despite being responsible for them. After Clemson beat the hell out of him, Meyer brought in Ash to fix the coverage and call plays. Warriner is in a similar spot. Warriner and Beck have bounced primary playcalling responsibilities back and forth for the last two years the same way Withers and Fickell did with the defense pre-Ash. It's been mostly Warriner, but don't underestimate the amount of influence Beck had by completely destroying JT's mechanics and progression reading, just like you could blame Fickell for the defensive calling but not everything since Withers designed all of their stupid and nonsensical coverages. Warriner was a fantastic O-line coach. He just should never ever ever ever have a call sheet in his hand from the last 2 years. Studrawa's work with O-line this past year leaves a lot to be desired, and I would rather we just take the call sheet away from Warriner and put him back on O-line on the sideline while canning Stud or moving him to TEs than anything else. I haven't heard about Warriner moving though, only Beck so far.

It's worth noting also that, apparently, Urban never delegated the same amount of offensive control to either of them as he did to Herman, which likely contributes to the present, since part of letting Herman work involved letting him off leash to do stuff like redesign the vertical game for Cardale in the postseason or take apart the screen game after Clemson mauled it in 2013. Redundancies are good, but creating two people to take ownership for the offense means that no one does since no one can go all-in on it. Maybe one of them works out of they're given Carte Blanche, but I doubt it highly after watching Warriner struggle to understand why people crowd the line on a team that doesn't go deep while JT pats the ball looking at his two reads on the play.

I like Wilson as a playcaller and would love the air raid elements he could add while keeping the run game in tact, but I'm also more than a little concerned about hiring a guy fired for treating players like poo poo apparently. As long as he's willing to call deep balls, he's an improvement though. Ryan Day is a bit of a mixed bag when I look at it. He got career years/efforts out of Nick Foles and Sam Bradford in the NFL, but his Temple offense was...uh...not great. I'm willing to look over the year with the Niners because it was Kaep and Gabbert where one has never been good and one was good for like 1-2 years before he just gave up on being any good. As long as he can get Barrett's "Uncle Rico" caliber wind-up pared down and get him making faster decisions (both of which I would imagine a Chip Kelly protege can do), I'm quite alright with that.

Houston's offense was called by Applewhite in practice and in games, but Herman basically handles all installation during the week and in the offseason. Applewhite apparently had Herman's level of control during games though, which is a bit surprising, but the thought is that Herman's going to give Beck that level of control at Texas. If that's the case, I'm so so sorry for what's about to happen to Buchele, Thermos.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Korranus posted:

Applewhite called out of Herman's playbook with Herman "suggesting" a bunch of awful run plays. I think UH passes a lot more next year.

Applewhite still needs to hire a DC. The most likely guys seem to be bringing back Brian Stewart from Nebraska, who was Sumlin's DC here and did a good-not-great job, or Randy Shannon if Florida doesn't hire him permanently. Some boosters want Tosh Lupoi but people in hell want ice water too.

There will also be huge pressure to add Wade Phillips in some capacity if he's not in the NFL next year.

Wade Phillips...seriously? In a world where playbooks are getting simpler, someone wants to go get the most complicated defensive schemer in the NFL right now? Stewart might not but bad, but man would Randy Shannon be funny. Imagine Randy Shannon doing his fun Cover 2 dance in a league where Tulsa is more than happy to run four verts every play until you stop it. Hell, imagine Randy Shannon calling a defense against USF.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

Guessing pay stays the same but goes back to just coaching line.

Pretty much, although they're not going to have to pay Beck anything since his contract is up in April anyways. He's absolutely not going to be the playcaller based on what's been indicated, but whether he goes back to OL is going to be a matter of if anything happens with Studrawa since Warriner is nominally the TE coach right now, not OL. Apparently Urban's been in touch with Day since before the game, so I'm betting we're about to see a number of shifts very very quickly.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I have to imagine that OSU knows the details, even if IU has remained tight lipped about it. Schiano and Wilson as DC and OC is pretty crazy, and will probably last all of one year.

Urban typically makes guys agree to stay on for a minimum of 2 seasons as part of negotiations. I'm willing to bet Schiano leaves at the end of the year, but there will probably be 2 years out of Wilson, which is good since hopefully that gives some time to do succession planning for the offense since last time that, uh, didn't go so well.

Komet posted:

Ohio State is going to be unstoppable unless something really horrible leaks out about Wilson and they have to fire him before next season even begins.

I mean, Kendal Briles has a job and Jim Leavitt was a hot commodity. I think the argument is literally that as long as that guy isn't the HC, the HC can rein them in and don't feel at risk since they know what they're looking for.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Couple of days old, but Tom Herman has announced his full staff at Texas.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Tom-Herman-completes-Texas-staff-for-2017

I really hope Todd Orlando is good and Beck doesn't turn out to be a wet fart. :ohdear:

Orlando is great.

Prepare for Beck to make you be really upset when you watch your QBs try to make reads though. Also, I hope for your sake that your QB's arm tech is good, because Beck will not help you out one iota with that.

Stan Drayton was the guy who recruited Elliott and Mike Weber to OSU and will be great for you guys.

Mehringer was an OSU GA who worked under Herman then ran Rutgers "Offense" last year and is now back under his mentor in Herman.

I think your opinion of that staff depends on how you view what Houston did the last two years. If you like their schemes, that's probably what's getting run.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

DJExile posted:

jesus christ

Can someone please poach Venables already. How the gently caress does that guy not have a head coaching job yet Kirby Smart does

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Scionix posted:

WHO THE gently caress IS BRIAN DABOLL

He's offbrand Brian Schottenheimer.Imagine Schottenheimer with a worse passing game design and stale running concepts.

You know that saying, "Date the opposite of your last breakup." That's what Saban's doing here.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Tom Sellout posted:

Brian Daboll's offense got Peyton Hillis the loving Madden cover

Colt McCoy started eight games, Jake Delhomme four games and Seneca Wallace also four games. Fun year in Cleveland.

I'm a Browns fan, and Hillis didn't even break 1200 yards that year, year before no one broke like 850. And that was despite us being like top 10 in rushing attempts.

Imagine a manball where even the run game sucks

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Al Borges rejoining Auburn as an analyst.

:staredog:

I cannot even fathom what Al Borges trying to run a Malzahn system would look like. I hope to god he's like some type of "go break down Bama quietly in that room over there" type of employee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

korrandark posted:

lol at Tim Beck getting a nearly $300,000 raise for running JT Barrett into the ground.

I literally can't wait to see Herman lose his mind as his OC manages to destroy Buchele's footwork and probably get Ehlinger a concussion within a couple weeks from running him

• Locked thread