Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

Have you considered that Florida is actually cool and good and week 1 was an outlier

No don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

whiteyfats posted:

After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could get to replace him.

Good post. I unironically agree that Jumbo should be fired immediately.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

That's a pretty brutal way to go for one of the best coaches in program history, but as my boy Jeremy Foley says "what must be done eventually should be done immediately."

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

MourningView posted:

gonna be exiting when literally every coach in the SEC is a former Bama assistant

SEC coaching searches are basically NFL coaching searches except instead of lovely retreads and former Belichick assistants it's lovely retreads and former Saban assistants.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Darrell Hazell's tenure at Purdue makes Danny Hope look like Nick Saban. That was a Kansas-esque putrid four-year stretch. I can't imagine how Purdue rebounds from that - that four years did like a decade worth of damage... at least pre-Hazell Purdue could beat it's rival and put together some bowl appearances. The only upside is that there's a new AD, new facilities coming, and Purdue is in one of the weaker FBS divisions.

quote:

Hazell’s hire was an absolute abomination. He was the worst coach in Purdue history. In fact, his tenure will go down as one of the worst in the history of the Big Ten—and arguably the most disastrous since Rick Venturi’s went 1-31-1 at Northwestern from 1978-80.

jesus christ

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I think Fleck might end up being a great coach but his resume isn't all that different to Darrell Hazell's pre-Purdue resume. Both were WR coaches that jumped all the way up to head coach and did well at MAC schools. I mean 11 wins is remarkable at Kent State - I figured at the time he would have been decent at a P5 school and not the abomination that he was.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Hazell's been real bad at Purdue, but I don't know if anybody can win there. I think they said on shutdown fullcast the other day that you have all the disadvantages of Georgia Tech, but you're also not in the city and you have truly grim weather. They're also probably the fifth choice school in a basketball state and the administration isn't interested in spending money on football.

Yeah that's a good comparison. Even more apt that GT's former AD is at Purdue also.

I think the best chance Purdue has is going a wacky nonstandard offense and carve out a niche. Sort of like the Mike Leach days at Texas Tech and WSU or even triple option like Navy or GT. They aren't ever going to compete if they try to replicate OSU or Michigan since they will always be outrecruited by those programs.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Addazio is probably going to get fired this year at BC.

Someone should look at Babers at Syracuse. They're .500, but what he's done is AMAZING given their horrible roster.

LLCoolJD posted:

He earns over $2.5 million/year now. Incredible. I never thought he'd make it once Meyer left him for dead in Gainesville.

Addazio had some good years at Temple. Maybe he would be better sticking to being a G5 coach?

Agreed about Babers, although I doubt any big program comes calling this soon. Probably another couple of years if he can keep it up.

Who does BC hire at this point now that they are a complete shithouse?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Komet posted:

Speaking of Kiffin, when are people going to start talking about his next shot at head coach? Kiffin2Texas

Tennessee might have an opening this year.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Does Tennessee dump Butch and hop back on the carousel for the 4th time in the past 8 years?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

They also have beating Florida to focus on right now. It's pretty important.

I don't even know if I want Florida to win the East at this point. It would arguably be a better end to the season for Florida to hang close and lose to LSU, beat FSU, and end the regular season with 3 losses. That way Florida probably gets a better bowl game than if they get obliterated by Bama as the last game of the regular season. Tennessee I feel is in the same situation.

Whichever of Florida/Tennessee goes to the SEC CG is going get get wrecked by Saban and end the regular season with a horrible loss, four total losses, a boot out of the top 25, and a worse bowl game than if they just didn't go to the SEC CG in the first place.

What will actually happen though is Florida will lose to both LSU and FSU and then I wait for next year to come.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Miles, Locksley, and Sarkisian to Purdue? :getin:

Also :laffo: @ FSU although Florida will still have to play Jumbo every year, at least FSU will suffer.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

MourningView posted:

I dunno if he'd be super high on my list if I were then honestly. He can recruit better than they have but there's still a pretty hard cap on how well you can recruit there and he sure as hell isnt gonna out game plan people. They should be trying to do something different offensively not to be Wisconsin but with bad players

Looks like he wants Sarkisian as OC maybe? What was his offense at USC and Washington, standard pro style?

Although coaching at Purdue and living in West Lafayette might drive him back to drinking.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 19, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Glad Florida beat LSU, sad to see it probably put the nail in the coffin for any potential Head Coach O. :(

I wonder if he stays on the next staff or goes somewhere else like when USC didn't get him the job.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

gently caress Skip Holtz.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Jimbo is a good coach but I dunno that any program should shell out eight mil for him.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Watching this Memphis game and I don't know that I would be so eager to hand over the keys to the Ferrari to Herman.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Is Hugh Freeze on the hot seat after their horrible season?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Stunt Rock posted:

Not in any sensible world. Ole Miss lost a lot of talent in the off-season and lost it's best DB in the first game of the season. Their defense was young and bad and only a few good D players made it through the season intact. He's also coming off a 10 win season capped by a Sugar Bowl win. He also gets a chance to pick a new D coordinator, since the one responsible for this year's awful defense (and 2014's amazing one) is retiring. A good D coordinator and some more depth/better recruiting on D would go a REALLY long way to fixing the Rebels problems.

It's hard to believe that a team that got shithoused by State and Vandy jumped out to big leads on both Bama and FSU, but this is a team that managed to be both awful and great all at the same time. It's also a team that got worse as the year went on instead of getting better, which is the opposite of how Freeze's teams usually run.

I think disjoe nailed it - he's got at least the rest of Patterson's career to turn things around.

Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on over there, thanks for the summary. Just saw how badly they lost to a bad Miss State team and was wondering how the fans were feeling moving forward.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

God drat I'm still pumped that Coach O will be a head coach at a major program.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I want scientists to invent a 24/7 feed into the back of my head like in The Matrix, but instead of a computer generated facsimile of 20th century Earth it only pumps Coach O's unintelligible press conferences for the next three years directly to my brain.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

What's the best non-power conference head coaching job anyways? I would say Houston? Maybe Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF/USF would be in the mix.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Holy poo poo Purdue didn't Purdue the head coaching search ... great hire if true.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Pro tip on teams looking for coaches: stop loving hiring Saban assistants, it obviously doesn't work. Besides Jimbo Fisher I guess, what's the success rate on the Saban coaching tree? Like 1 for 8 now?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Zifnab posted:

Nuss was UW's #2 choice for head coach behind Petersen. Dodged a god drat bullet there.

I'm happy for Washington. I don't think I've ever seen a team make out like a bandit like that after getting their coach poached. They dodged double bullets- Sark's eventual personal meltdown and then being able to finality get Petersen out of Boise which avoided the Doug Nussmeier clown show.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

MourningView posted:

Brohm's an awesome hire for Purdue. Good for them for going that route and not with a retread like Miles, but god playing against his offense is gonna suck a lot.

Also most coaches want to be at a P5 school. Even if Purdue is a bad P5 job there are only so many of them to go around. In the AAC your ceiling most years is the loving Military Bowl.

Good fuckin hire :getin:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Ah - so like 4 hours from home. That's still close.

You can do Lafayette to Louisville in three.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

wernox posted:

Part of having lived in Indiana means being able to estimate driving times to Chicago, Cincy, Detroit and Cedar Point from anywhere in the state. You are also expected to be able to estimate the impact of traffic on said drive time based on the time of day and weather.

I'm pretty sure its part of the driving test.

I only know because we lived in WL when I learned how to drive

Indiana residents need to know the fastest routes to escape Indiana.

West Lafayette sucks rear end but is at least decently close to some fun places- 2 hours to Chicago, 1 hour to Indianapolis, 3 to Louisville/Cincinnati.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I feel like almost any decent Big 12 offense guy could manage 8-4 at UF given the current state of the East.

I think Mullen would also do fine but I prefer pass first to run first.

McElwain to Oregon would be one of the strangest CFB head coaching moves in recent years. Only other strange one like that was Bielema to Arkansas.

Well Florida's new AD was just at MSU so I'm sure Mullen would get a strong look.

I don't care too much either way other than there's no great coaches left on the table if this goes down. PJ Fleck I guess?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Bielema isn't even the weirdest Wisconsin exile in recent memory. How soon we've all forgotten that Gary Andersen chose to go to Oregon State rather than stay another year in Madison.

Yeah you're right. Man, Barry Alvarez must be a really annoying piece of poo poo.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

TheGreyGhost posted:

He still has a house down here, and it's likely he would be promoted to UC's DC if he comes down. He's still really well like from his days at Colerain and the like, so he honestly might be a bigger coup than Fickell for them. Both are fantastic recruiters, but Coombs is exactly what that program needs right now.

If that's the case and Warriner is in play, Urban's potentially replacing three assistants, maybe more if Schiano goes somewhere. Like, it could literally turn into:

OC/QB: Tim Beck (ugh)
OC/TE: Vacant
OL: Greg Studrawa (ugh)
WR: Zach Smith (who is frankly employed almost entirely for his recruiting ability)
RB: Tony Alford (See Smith, Zach)

DC/Safeties: Vacant
DC/LBs: Vacant
D-Line: Larry Johnson (The best technical assistant we've ever had)
CBs: Vacant

Is that the most vacancies ever created off an existing staff, or am I crazy?

Hopefully Boston College fires Scuba Steve and then he can be reunited with Urbz as his OC!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

whiteyfats posted:

Wasn't that also about the time all the stories about the total lack of discipline on the team were starting to surface? Well, nationally, I mean. I lived in Gainesville at the time (Camelot apartment 4 life) and it wasn't a very well kept secret around town.

Back when Aaron Hernandez was popping off an AK-47 downtown and not getting in trouble.

And holy poo poo did you live at Camelot when that guy got killed there?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Charlie Strong raped my mother and killed my father, but drat do I respect him. Real good guy.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Being the highest paid OC at Bama or LSU is better than being HC at FAU.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Sucks for UF to lose another great defensive coordinator. Although UF has had a really great 12 year streak of solid defensive coordinators. 

Greg Mattison - DC Baltimore Ravens and Michigan 
Charlie Strong - HC Louisville, Texas, and USF
Dan Quinn - DC Seattle Seahawks,  HC Atlanta Falcons 
Geoff Collins -  HC Temple 
Randy Shannon -  former HC Miami
DJ Durkin - HC Maryland 
Teryl Austin - DC Detroit Lions

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 13, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Member that time Texas did a home and home with UCF? I member.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Piscataway even beats out West Lafayette as the worst Big Ten city.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I think Jeff Brohm was one of the best hires of the offseason. I'm looking forward to seeing progress in the next 2-3 years.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

New Jersey rips the bones from your back, it's a death trap, it's a suicide rap.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

DJExile posted:

get ready for the randy shannon experience, mother fuckers :radcat:

Poor Randy Shannon has to audition for the permanent DC job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

Holy poo poo people shut the gently caress up. Everywhere is terrible and your football team sucks. Jesus this conversation is annoying as poo poo.

Some football teams and places are better than others.

• Locked thread