Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure he'll start a patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hogan should take his money and buy a shitload of WWE stock to force them to reinstate him in the hall of fame. At least I'm guessing that's what he'll do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are you sure it wasn't because they would get more money? Cause it resulted in them getting a lot more money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing it isn't possible for gawker to pay him in like, shares or something. Bringing us the new Gawker, brother.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

You really see no problem in wealthy people with spite being able to use the legal process to shut down media organizations?

Now you might cheer because you don't like Gawker, but it's shallow thinking to imagine this isn't the how-to example for other individuals to shut down the media organizations they don't like.

I think it's more a lot of people don't consider gawker a media organization any more than they would consider TMZ a media organization

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can assure you his penis was not washed up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

It is never, ever, under any circumstances acceptable to publicly share sex videos without the consent of all participants. No, not then either.

What if they're long dead

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Alabama's house majority leader found guilty on twelve of twenty three corruption charges.

http://m.oanow.com/news/breaking-hubbard-found-guilty-on-of-felony-ethics-charges/article_d2b7f8ea-2f75-11e6-9d3c-37bc43154d6f.html?mode=jqm

The previous governor Bob Riley will probably be next, then the current governor Bentley(though probably not until his term is done). The current supreme Court justice is also currently suspended for violating federal orders on gay marriage. You may remember him as the judge who got impeached for violating federal court decisions on a ten commandments idol. He was removed from office, but he just ran again and was elected again.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/06/mike_hubbard_is_guilty_but_tha.html another much more snarky article that unfortunately confuses the word prosecution and persecution a couple of times but is more entertaining overall.

greatn fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 11, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So what's the big deal if they do split?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Is QE2 gonna take back what's hers by divine right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Anos posted:

It should also be noted that the EU has given quite good deals to Norway and Switzerland which might be seen as a preferable alternative. However, as it turns out it doesn't really make people want to join more - it just makes it easier to not join. Those deals would not be made today and if Britain leaves there will be every incentive to demonstrate why membership is beneficial.

Souns lahk abooncha rich fooks goona gi' was' comin

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

The DoD maintains a separate, secure channel for requesting weather in addition to the normal one. The data might be the same, but sending "hey bomber squadron, here's that 72 hour forecast for downtown Tehran with flight level winds between 21,000 and 25,000 feet" over unsecure channels might reveal capabilities and intentions, to say nothing of raising a few eyebrows, even though the underlying data might be unclass.

I won't say that overclassification isn't a problem, but A) that isn't relevant to Hillary's email server, and B) that was a really bad example.

There really isn't a coherent theory of Clinton's culpability. Some folks think the administration knew it was a 9/11 anniversary attack but blamed it on the protests over the Prophet Muhammad film because the optics were better, some claim that the DoS had intel about 9/11 anniversary attacks but did nothing to step up embassy security, and some think that DoS or the administration didn't intervene or send reinforcements to the compound under attack because they were too hesitant. None of it is terribly substantive.

Isn't it essentially true that the Benghazi attacks were planned for a different time or something, but the plans were moved up when they saw the protests because that made it more convenient and gave them cover? So the protests actually were involved?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrator found out a friend or relative was gay and knew they frequented the club which is why they targeted it. Regardless of religion, this is obviously a hate based crime against gays. I'd much rather have a conversation about how GLBT people are still discriminated against and in danger in this country than a stupid religious debate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Florida is America's penis, Orlando is the frenulum.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nimh posted:

Discrimination vs discrimination & death. Hard to decide which is more important

One follows the other

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nimh posted:

yeah for the LGBT community, discrimination & death follows islam

People are still killed and attacked in shocking numbers in America for being gay or trans by Muslims, Christians, atheists, and more.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That death number isn't going to stay at twenty is it? 😭

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The post above just said 50 casualties, that means death or injury.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat it. Is that the biggest mass shooting in American history?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

What, like, he didn't know gay people existed until suddenly he witnessed this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JonathonSpectre posted:

I have a feeling he was enraged that he himself wasn't kissing a man, but that's just my hunch.

That's really gross. You're basically turning the victim into their own murderer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If he was radicalized his parents probably had no idea since he was a grown man and this poo poo happens on the internet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

Someone post that Kreider cartoon, I can't find my copy.

I like the sentiment but I wish the "Guns are for pussies" didn't come across as such a gendered slur. If it was something else I'd post that poo poo 24/7 on Facebook.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shillary posted:

And Mussolini loved cats, doesn't mean he wasn't a net force for evil. Gay Christians are like black Republicans, they baffle me.

Christianity is like a group of literally hundreds of different denominations that all have different canon and beliefs, their only common unified being a belief in Jesus Christ as Messiah, and sometimes not even that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

It sounds like he was shot at outside the club, then ran inside, then the police went in 3 hours later?

It became a hostage situation

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness, if you get all the way up to the door of a night club carrying a massive gun that shoots a zillion bullets I think you're already home free. Like, even if the security was armed they still have to react before you start unloading bullets into them and a crowded sardine can.

I would imagine he probably just drove his car right up, got out and got his gun from the passenger seat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NewMars posted:

Wars, on the other hand, have been fought on the basis of denying the scientific truth that all the races of the world have no difference save the color of their skin.

No, wars are about land and resources.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

The ban on gay men donating blood has been lifted in Orlando. These tragedies so rarely have any positive outcome. Hopefully this leads to lifting the ban nationwide.

Do they need gay blood for the gay victims?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was corrected that this wasn't the biggest shooting in American history, that was wounded knee.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

edrith posted:

wounded knee was a genocidal war crime. this was a single-shooter massacre. both disgusting and traumatizing, but the "Well actually Wounded Knee :smug: " grosses me out. I'm not seeing the "Reminder, Wounded Knee was the biggest shooting in American history" sentiment coming from, say, Native Americans. I'm seeing it from smug heterosexual assholes who find it somehow proper to use the bodies of genocide victims to bludgeon those mourning a hate crime.

Actually I got the correction from a noted black gay feminist of all places.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My opponent just admitted he would ban Emmy winner Tony Shaloub from entering the country. If my opponent had HIS way, there would be no Monk, and Wings would have been substantially different from season 2.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

amuayse posted:

Pressure cookers, fertilizers, and airplanes are used pretty normally by most people

But if you put fertilizer in a pressure cooker they won't let you take it on a plane.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just finished that National Review article. He's got a point about small towns. I totally get that not everyone can afford to leave but for whatever reason small town people feel an unreasonable pride in places that are objective shitholes and extremely high dependence of the family.

Example: a guy I went to high school with worked at Walmart. He was offered an assistant manager position at a store two hours away. He turned it down because he'd be too far from his family. Two loving hours is not far. It's a really lovely commute daily or you could see your family every weekend if you just moved. Last I checked he was working at Sears and still not a manager. He has not moved upward in 10 years.

Maybe I was lucky being from a military but seeing family twice a year is good enough for me. Extended family not even that often.

Did he have any kids? The opportunity of free child care from family when you need it is a pretty big deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The thing of it is moderates loving love democratic policies, they just hate Democrats after decades of all out right wing media campaigns to discredit and turn them into bogeymen. Sanders just did so well with moderates because he wasn't a mainstream Democrat so he didn't carry that baggage. If Clinton had a different name and hadn't held major political office they'd be in love with her.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought the NRA said it didn't want terrorists getting guns. (I may e to the right of this site on gun issues but if someone is being watched by the FBI, they shouldn't be able to buy a gun and the gun show rule is ridiculous).

But the FBI doesn't need any kind of judge ruling or warrant or oversight of any kind to put anyone on a watch list.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

So if someone designed and sold a hunting rifle that happened to be really effective at killing people, that would be OK in your book?

Aren't they all really effective at killing people?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

We can still regulate private sellers though.

If I sell my car, the buyer is still required to do title transfer and pay sales tax on it, for example. I don't see why anyone would object to requiring private sellers to ensure that they buyer isn't a criminal, since selling a gun to someone who isn't legally allowed to possess it is already against the law, why wouldn't we want to enforce that law.

It's such a hassle though. Do you know how long that paperwork takes to fill out? Like twenty minutes man. This is America.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And most of their programming these days are just the most loving obnoxious podcast spin-offs of this American Life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm really pulling for Gary Johnson to get that %15 polling average and go to the debates.

Don't a lot of states have rule where if you get over %10 of the vote in a statewide contest your party gets automatic ballot access next time? If Johnson can do that, the libertarian party might field tons of candidates state and congressional elections in the midterms and gently caress everything up for the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ugh, hope it's none of those. Warren belongs as head of finance committee. Castro i don't think has any real qualifications to be next in line as president and Kaine isn't particularly charming.

• Locked thread