Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo, that is more than most military engagements these days. Unreal. It sucks that I don't even feel much about shootings any more.

Also yeah Orlando has a huge gay community, I was actually surprised to learn when I was down there last. Also it's a shithole, which makes the fact even more surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how this will affect the general election...

It won't

e: in that the outcome / lines are already drawn wrt this specific issue and none of that will change

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FourLeaf posted:

Jesus Christ, if this is the beginning of coordinated attacks.... i just hope they stop as many of them beforehand as possible

Lol calm down there mr Clancy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Antti posted:

Tbf this focus on air travel and shoe bombers is crazy when it's a lot easier, especially in the US, to just walk to a crowded place with a gun and open up. I mean people have already done it multiple times and nothing has been done about it. You can walk on the street with an assault rifle and if the police accost you it's a violation of your God-given rights. If you have people willing to die it's by far the most efficient and powerful way to make people panic. Look at Paris.

Agreed but this has nothing to do with what that guy said or why I quoted him.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sir Tonk posted:

Id imagine he won't want to make a statement if new information is still coming in, but that'll get cut off eventually and he'll come out

According to folks my wife works with he also literally takes extra time to compose himself WORK UP SOME CROCODILE TEARS before speaking re: this kind of thing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^lol also this

Control Volume posted:

What im getting from this shitshow of a thread is that if you flipped a switch and made this guy christian instead of muslim the left and right would basically just trade narratives and keep going full steam ahead

There's a key difference with the power structures involved in the USA that you're not considering while you're being edgy though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

It's okay when I do the exact same poo poo I criticize other people for doing because power structures. Muslims genuinely are at far greater risk that white people as a group of course. Nobody disputes that. But making an argument that you can do whatever you want because reasons isn't going to be very convincing to people at the receiving end of that when they want to respond in kind.

I'm not making that argument, however, thank you for editing further nuance into your response because I agree with you.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
BHO is so loving tired of this poo poo. Say the totem words, throw up collective sigh, no questions.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

Here's what the place he worked at does:

holy poo poo he worked for G4S??

:laffo: for days

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

. It actually is a fringe view in Western Christianity

so ISIS and extreme wahhabism Saudi-style aren't fringe views eh?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ :hfive:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Does "purchased directly" mean "legally"?

If they are purchased in a way that ATF can verify, especially after less than 12 hours, then it was a legal transaction. To expand on this point, Tracing by the ATF ceases at the first retail point of purchase, there's some limited ability to further scrutinize distribution for guns used in crimes, but it would take a whole lot more legwork than a Sunday's morning.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 12, 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

There has to be some kind of deal you make with your self if you're in that business. Like, even if the overwhelming majority of guns you sell are for hunters and home protection you have to understand just 1 out of 100, maybe 1 out of 1000, of the guns you personally sell will be used to murder someone. Or some kid will pick it up because their parents were careless assholes. Or some paranoid loon will kill their kid when they come home late or some stranger who knocks on the door after dark.

I assume that if you're someone who will be bothered by that then you either get out of the business and go sell something less dangerous or you make some kind of rationalization you need to survive. And otherwise you just don't think about it and don't care because you're just not the kind of person who gives a poo poo.

Well there's also the fact that in a large part of the country the legal stricture against buying a firearm is "has a pulse". Background checks aren't even universal. Which is fine because heck the dealer or seller is just conducting business for all he cares. And yeah I imagine you wouldn't go into the business without that inkling in the back of your head not bothering you one whit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This is terrifying. I mean, you were right and the call is obvious but holy poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do Trump fans even find this inspiring anymore?

Trump fans are very, very dumb

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Talmonis posted:

I hope not. It's something that Libertarians advocate on the regular, so it sets off alarms for me.

Honestly with the advent of telecommuting, we should see less of this problem in the future. Juuust as soon as managerial culture gets around to not demanding to stare over your shoulder for 8 hours...

:smith:

Not to turn this into anecdotal work culture thread, but your last point is why I'm coming up on ten years with my current company, to Aargytehpirate's question.

Salary has doubled in that time and I'm a telecommuter full time, I value working from the comfort of my home without micromanagerial oversight... Well beyond what my next move in my industry (that I dislike and am actively trying to get out of) would compensate me.

I guess the positive of this is that there are well known, enormous US corporations that embrace the evolution of work culture in this fashion so it's not ALL doom and gloom on that front.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

theflyingorc posted:

don't we always hem and haw over VP picks and then go back to not caring when they happen?

the only VP that's made a real difference during campaigning is Palin, and I think people really really overestimate how important she was to the election results - to the point that the received wisdom is that she's literally the reason McCain lost the campaign (he was not going to win against Obama)

We do, but we're not concerned about what it means to the campaign or the presidency, but rather what it means by giving up a safe senate seat. Warren is already vocal and having a tremendous impact within that body, it is a big blow to the Democratic Platform at large to move her into the VP slot.

Trabisnikof posted:

He's had far more executive experience than Obama did in 2008.

Which is why I'm thinking it'll be him in the end. Least risk, most potential reward.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Has everyone seen http://sharethesafety.org because it's definitely not an Everytown site and it's amazing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Volkerball posted:

it's the yes men

For real?

It's perfect haha

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/LauraTopham/status/746260604936200192

Which is also how Trump became the GOP nominee

This is priceless, holy poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

theflyingorc posted:

It sounds like a significant number of voters just pulled the ANGRY lever, not that they had an opinion on the EU, really

directdemocracy.txt

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FactsAreUseless posted:

I will be very surprised if it doesn't. Sanders has two very big strengths for Clinton

- Shores up support among the more left-leaning Dems.

- Sanders can be populist and angry in a way Clinton isn't allowed to be.

It's possible he won't be (Clinton was a close second to Obama in 2008 and wasn't a VP pick) but I think it's been leaning that way for a while.

username/post combo is pretty on point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ReidRansom posted:

The piece is great, btw, though long, and anyone who hasn't read it should go do so.

poo poo's hosed up.

So many questions in this stupid Gawker Q&A from people who blatantly did not read the piece, jesus christ.

I got my master's degree in public health initially out of a desire to work on justice reform, particularly from an epi standpoint, in the U.S., but some of the initial forays I made into the field from a research standpoint literally scared me off.

Hidingfromgoro isn't around but his old thread was super good, modern incarnation here, it's just not very active any more.

• Locked thread