Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Mitch McConnell said a thing.

They treated the south differently :qq:
Hmm I wonder why? I'm sure it's just random, right Mitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/sabrinasiddiqui/status/738480784596668417

If you're "hoping he'll improve his tone" and crossing your fingers that his campaign will someday approach respectability maybe you should have waited on endorsing him.

For a minute I really thought Ryan would extract some sort of concession or promise to behave out of Trump before backing him but he couldn't even manage to do that.
He couldn't get the GOP to really give him any concessions for becoming Speaker after Boehner quit, there's no way in hell he would convince Trump to give him a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

#fact

Nice to not put that in any context or anything Piers...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It appears that our esteemed Attorney General down here in FL solicited a donation for her re-election from Donald Trump at almost exactly the time she dropped a state suit regarding Trump University.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e16a8223c24048d290883370dc6abe5b/florida-ag-asked-trump-donation-nixing-fraud-case

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

To be honest I do think with Trump there's more than a bit of him thinking in the back of his head now, "Oh crap, I actually have to run a campaign now, what do I do?" mixed with Trump being Trump and not having another mode besides that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think we need to move up the over/under date that Trump calls Hillary something sexist to like next week the way this is going

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

That slow death has already been happening, blood pressure/heart problems and acid reflux from years for wingnut media isn't fast enough. Election night should make them so angry they get an aneurysms.

Also since someone mentioned white terrorism lone wolfs, what are the chances Clinton brings the hammer down on them? From what I read during the Oregon stupid, the shooting/burning of black churches, etc, it seems like Congress and other right wing POSes/lobbies are preventing the FBI,etc from acting?
In either 09 or 10, DHS put out a pretty damning report on right-wing terrorism. So of course Republicans in Congress just screamed as loud as they could that this was a 'political' report and eventually DHS buried said report.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boon posted:

Also maybe Ive missed something, but none of the emails found were classified at time of being sent.
Nope, and you just know that if they did you would absolutely hear about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dems are lucky that this time around there is a presidential election in 2020.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Or unlucky. Coat tails for an incumbent aren't as strong (and that assumes people are up to yet another Democratic presidency), and the lovely gerrymandering goes all the way to the state legislatures. We might not see a good chance at a Democratic house until 2032 or even 2042.
Yes, but there's no chance it's like 2010. 2010 was basically the worst-case scenario.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm really looking forward to my town being used as a political prop for the next few weeks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Most people are not aware, but this town has one of the larger gay communities in the US. I know a lot of people in that community here. To my knowledge no one I know was killed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

whitey delenda est posted:

Holy poo poo, that is more than most military engagements these days. Unreal. It sucks that I don't even feel much about shootings any more.

Also yeah Orlando has a huge gay community, I was actually surprised to learn when I was down there last. Also it's a shithole, which makes the fact even more surprising.
We have nice areas downtown that are away from the tourist crap

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Of course no mention of the gay community.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can confirm that the blood centers here are telling people to come back tomorrow because they are getting so many people volunteering.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I won't argue that an hour is a good response time considering the cops got to Sandy Hook in like five minutes, but didn't the shooter take hostages? If that's the case, do you really think they should've just immediately breach and cleared, innocent lives be damned?
He had hostages and claimed to have bombs, so this is exactly why they wouldn't just storm the building. It's too risky for them at that point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is pretty much JebBushCampaign.jpg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

lol if it turns out Snowden is right and that the intelligence agencies can't stop this poo poo because they got lost in the scope of what they are doing
They knew about the Boston bombers.

I mean this goes back to 9/11, where one agency was tracking several of the hijackers but didn't bother to inform anyone else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PST posted:

I doubt there'll be any serious criticism of the police, but waiting three hours to go in is surprising given past training and procedures involving active shooters.

I''m taking a wild guess that it was the suspicion of a bomb (though they didn't suspect that until after the robot went in, which is still well after arrival etc.). Maybe he said he had a bomb in his 911 call, maybe someone saw something and that was one of the first things they heard etc. Either way, there have been a few comments on it but all with the 'we weren't there, it's not our place to criticise but procedures say...'
They said that he called the police and said he had a bomb. There was a police officer who shot at him when he started shooting who was there for security. The timeline they laid out this morning was a bit unclear to me but it sounds like he shot at some people outside, then forced his way into the building until he barricaded himself into the bathroom. They had to use a Bearcat APC to get through the wall after explosives failed to open an entry.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Exactly. It's not even civil discussion at that point it's a game of making poo poo up to fit a narrative. Not bending the facts. Completely ignoring them. The only answer to that sort of mentality is a giant gently caress off.
He straight up lied earlier that this gunman was born in Afghanistan when he was born in NY State. I'm sure Fox won't bother to mention this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well if that story is true it explains why the wife was not cooperating initially

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wikileaks has the DNC Trump Oppo Report already posted this morning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Keep an eye on court blogs today, there's a chance the ruling on Texas' HB2, which is basically the test case for the ALEC abortion erosion provisions they've been passing everywhere, could come out today.
Did the Appellate court strike that law down? If so it's probably dead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If they screw Trump out of a nomination somehow, you better believe he will run 3rd party out of spite

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's no Ironicat big enough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone find that photoshop from the Simpsons that replaces Grampa Simpson with McCain, stat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought there was a poll of Bernie supporters that had maybe 13% undecided?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

rscott posted:

Isn't Texas a net receiver of federal tax dollars? I mean, gently caress if they want to leave fine, we should have never allowed their racist asses in the Union in the first place but they would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces
Yes, it's never the states that actually make their own money who want to secede. See also: Alaska, SC

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wasn't Lewandowski the guy vetting running mates?

It also cracks me up to no end that they just had to shove the completely unnecessary 'Trump had the most GOP Primary votes ever!' thing directly in front of the statement like it means a drat thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think this has been discussed a bit recently, but it does bother repeating that Trump's campaign has virtually no money and it appears that Trump is not willing to put his own money into a general election run where he won't get reimbursed. This on top of him balking at dialing for dollars, which was leaked last week. On top of all of this, Clinton's campaign has started a giant ad-blitz to which Trump has no response. So you just fired your campaign manager to replace him with a Bond villain, have no campaign money, and virtually no campaign staff on a national level, but somehow you're a threat?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-real-news-is-trump-is-broke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

935 posted:

He spent virtually nothing in the primary, I guess he's assuming that strategy of letting the news sell him for free is going to work for the general?
I honestly think he believes he can keep getting free advertising by being on TV and doing rallies, as opposed to TV buys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes let's all Arzy over one poll in June. Some of that may also be due to Trump getting a slight bump because of the shooting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Trump's not smart enough to attempt to bring up Whitewater, apparently
He did a few weeks ago, but nobody cares about Whitewater after 20+ years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

There's also something to be gained by grooming someone for President 8 years from now, and that was traditionally what VP has also been about, we've just had a couple of exceptions lately with Cheney and Biden being older than the President.

I really hope it's not Warren. I want her to be leader of the Senate if Pelosi retires.
Pelosi is House Minority Leader. Current Senate Minority Leader is Harry Reid who is retiring. Most are expecting that Chuck Schumer will take over come 2017.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ego-bot posted:

So other than having his soul owned by AIPAC, how is Chuck Schumer?
He also has his soul owned by Wall Street

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rubio is now officially running for re-election, because of course he is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

So how long did his career-ending distaste for politics last?
Like 2 months tops?

The annoying part is that is now moving the seat from likely Dem to likely GOP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is similar to the immigration bills that couldn't get a floor vote in the House because Boehner was too scared it would pass if given a chance.

It's a bit frustrating to me, because while I appreciate their stance, I do agree that the bills they want to vote on have a lot of problems. I wish it wasn't something they were focusing around the crazy No Fly Lists that the Bush Admin came up with in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zelder posted:

So I hate to be that America centric guy, but what does a brexit vote mean for me? Because holy crap it might be happening
The Dow has already lost 600 in overnight trading, so it's probably going to be messy at least tomorrow on Wall St.

It's nice to know that we're not the only country dumb enough to shoot ourselves in the foot because of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It seemed like the Leave side was playing on fears of immigrants, not unlike Trump.

Keep in mind that in the middle of a major crisis in his campaign, Trump decided to not postpone traveling to Scotland for a golf tournament that his company runs.

• Locked thread