Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I live in an important swing state. The daily robocalls about the impending doom of America (unless you vote for our candidate!) have already begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't get why folk are pushing this whole trans poo poo. Don't they understand that most Americans don't give a poo poo at best? It just doesn't win any votes, and completely baffles my mind as to why any politician would do something that loses votes.

Because it's no longer politically acceptable throughout the country to hate and fear gay people, so trans people are the feat and hate mongering of the day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This is really, really fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't it funny how the only people who say they aren't thin skinned are, well, hilariously thin skinned AND cripplingly self unaware to boot

Trump's tweet even failed the straight face check. "She said I'm thin-skinned! Well, I'm not thin-skinned at all!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Okay, honest question. Does Trump have a psychological disorder or something? The way he writes and talks he comes off like he's not entirely aware of whats happening around him.

Trump has no idea how to fight someone who isn't intimidated by him. Hillary's willing to look Trump in the eye and call him a shithead, and I'm not sure that's something Trump has ever confronted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peztopiary posted:

Trump doesn't have handlers he has enablers.

Considering what we know of Trump, I'd imagine that anyone in Trump's court who said "Hey, let's figure out the boss's weaknesses so we can be ready" would be met with "I DON'T HAVE WEAKNESSES! YOU'RE FIRED!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man this thread has gone in a strange direction.

Slow couple of days in the news.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Good god, the fallout of that would be incredible.

I mean, Michelle would murder her for keeping them in DC, Michelle famously hates living there, but still.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why do I get the feeling that the people making a fuss about Hillary's expensive clothes would make a fuss if she'd worn cheap clothes? They're already angry at her and are happy to use any excuse that presents itself to continue being angry at her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Freakazoid_ posted:

At the time Hillary made it pretty clear she was still on Israel's side and believed Iran was going to violate the deal. Obama wants to trust Iran, Hillary did not. Maybe the gas thing has changed her mind, but I think it's likely she would prefer to not encourage more deals and just wait for Iran to screw up, rather than find means to improve relations.

On the other hand, she's been vocal in her support of the Iran deal vis-a-vis Trump. It was one of the bigger notes in her foreign policy speech, that she supported the diplomatic efforts that stopped Iran from developing nuclear weapons without firing a shot, then suggesting that Trump would have started a shooting war with Iran instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I want to see the NRA types suffer the cognitive dissonance of hating Hillary but loving her open carry :greencube:

It won't be an adjustment. They already hate minorities who open carry and it causes them no trouble.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As someone who lives in Arizona, it'd be a big deal to us.

Right now we're the Koch Brothers' private laboratory of democracy, and we're going to see what happens when you eliminate public education.

I thought that was Kansas. Or Oklahoma.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VitalSigns posted:

It's a blessing from God/you shouldn't have had sex.

Anyway my daughter needs to go visit her grandma in the closest full-access-to-abortion state, see you later sinners.

Yep, this will be their answer: stop having sex, sluts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

I just figure that when called on it the sitting Senator trying to cast avada kedavra on the President would try to say that he just meant his term of office; I"m just making it clear the psalm is about the dude dying in agony.

I'm still surprised no one's actually shot at Obama after all these years. It was even a plot point in a Tom Clancy novel from well before Obama came along: the young, charismatic, popular black candidate for president (Tom Clancy so he's a Republican of course) is assassinated by a KKK member.

I'm going to be surprised if no one tries to assassinate Hillary, too.

Bushiz posted:

36 of the last 40 years have had very charismatic and personable presidents, and we've seen a lot of stuffy awkward people lose the presidency in that time. So we've decided that the president HAS to be personable, and it's phenomenally not a good look for hillary.

It's not a good look for Trump, either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Someone send the Clinton staff this so they have a sick meme response ready to go when this happens.

They almost certainly have. Trump's his own worst enemy and Hillary knows it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

I would love to know who told Trump to say he's a Presbyterian.

Especially since the Presbyterian church acknowledges and performs same-sex marriages and allows women in the priesthood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is actually all that's required... not that I don't agree with cutting defense as well.

Also, we have enough money for our infrastructure and education. The GOP just doesn't consider these things deserving of proper funding.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dick Trauma posted:

Americans.txt

This is not politics. This is your average American when he feels untouchable.

This is Trump stopping with the dogwhistle and telling a certain type of American what they really want to hear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't think it's really fair to say deadly violence against LGBT people is uniquely Islamic when someone tried to blow up a Target bathroom over their trans bathroom policies less than a week ago.

Turned out no, that was someone trying to make meth in a Target bathroom that went wrong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FourLeaf posted:

I'm really loving tired of the Pray for XXX Victims thing starting up already. Your loving religions are what oppresses us all over the world. At best you want LGBT people changed, at worst you want us dead.

Also, what a revealingly impotent response.

There are Christians who support gay rights. :( My church's pastor is a married lesbian woman, and we're down here in a different part of Florida. Sermon this morning was all about the shooting and we're already putting together a donation fund for the families of the victims.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FourLeaf posted:

Sorry I'm just very angry and bitter right now. Because of violence like this, plus my family's church is pretty much the exact opposite of yours.

I understand completely. poo poo like this - if the shooter wasn't Christian, then the Evangelical Right's reaction to this - is why I hate the Evangelical Right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nachos posted:

This guy was 120 miles away from the Orlando area so did he deliberately target the largest gay club he could find?

Probably. Orlando is well-known for being the most gay-friendly city in Florida, and it's Pride Week there. Hell, I've driven past Pulse a few times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For reference, I live in Florida and the Orlando shooter used an AR-15. I can drive fifteen minutes inland and start seeing billboards advertising AR-15s for sale, usually with a tagline about Obama wanting you to not have one or suggesting that you're not a man without one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

radical meme posted:

You know the fact is, every time one of these mass shootings happens now, I start saying a little prayer; please don't let the shooter be black, please don't let the shooter be muslim, please don't let it be somebody that the police or FBI or any other law enforcement ever had on their radar, and finally please let it be some crazy white militia, oath keeper type. Because if it's anybody other than a white militia, oath keeper that was never on anyone's radar, then it destroys any hope of ever having a legitimate, honest conversation about guns in the U.S. gently caress this guy and his loving crazy father and I hope they both burn in hell for all eternity.

We had that in Charleston. And the guy who shot up a Judaic center in Illinois a year or two ago. Didn't change a drat thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

radical meme posted:

Oh there's actually lots of them. It's just that this particular incident will be quickly swept aside by Trump style racism laying the blame off on muslims and NRA propaganda claiming that a good gay with a gun in that club would have prevented it all.

And if it had been a Christian, it would have been a "It was a lone wolf nutcase, no connection to anything going on in the country today, nothing could have been done, now's not the time to politicize a senseless tragedy."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Trump has clarified what his speech tomorrow is going to be about. It's going to focus specifically on "radical Islam"

Oh boy

It's okay, the Republican party never wanted Muslims' votes anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty loving sure that the overall LGBT community is pretty good at recognizing violently bigoted rhetoric aimed at inciting hatred against a minority group and aren't suddenly going to flock to Trump because he hasn't been on the record for openly hating them. Yet. And the fact that the majority of people murdered in this attack were Latino and thus direct targets of Trump is also something that matters.

Also, Trump's first words were "Yay! I called it about Muslims!" Hillary's were "My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, families, and wider LGBT community victimized by this attack."

Oh, and Trump's probable answer regarding the ban is that it might not have stopped this guy, but it would have stopped his parents - refugees from Afghanistan - from entering the country, thereby stopping this attack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theflyingorc posted:

One interesting thing I haven't seen anybody bring up - there's a significant difference in this situation that's a pretty big opportunity for gun control advocates to bring up - the armed guards. There were literally "good guys with a gun" on the scene and it didn't make a difference - that's a decently powerful rhetorical point to use against far right gun nuts.

Also, the first guy killed was a "good guy with a gun" - an off-duty cop working as armed security.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Boon posted:

So does anyone think anything is actually going to come from this? I'm fairly confident nothing will happen, though perhaps in a couple years IF SCOTUS hears an appeal on the the recent decision on concealed carry

Nope, not a drat thing. Didn't happen after Sandy Hook, won't happen now. Especially not when the victims were gay, Latino people at a nightclub.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Noam Chomsky posted:

someone should tell him the bible doesn't say much about teh gays.

People like that don't actually read the Bible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zwabu posted:

Republican bigwigs like Ryan having to ignore Trump or pretend they didn't hear questions about him is the first sloshing water sounds heard coming from the bilge.

I think one of the biggest problems for Republican leadership on Trump is that Trump has no actual plan, position, or ideology and they know it. It's hard to comment on what Trump means because what he means is whatever he felt at the time. Trump is extraordinarily honest, I think, because he's completely unscrupulous, emotionally volatile in the extreme, and the only long-term vision he has is to make himself happy - everything else flows from there for whatever it means at the given moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radish posted:

Yeah that kid story is heartbreaking. The father apparently tried to fight the gator; I don't want to even think about it....

At this rate I'm expecting Orlando to fall into a sinkhole early next week.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BigRed0427 posted:

Say gay people, how come you won't vote for Drumpf? He will actualy defend you from the mooselums

GEE I WONDER WHY LGBT PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO VOTE FOR DRUMPF! *Insert incomprehensible screaming to the old ones here*

Because Donald Trump promises action to protect them!

On the one hand, Trump will probably be beaten with hysterical ease in November. On the other hand, I'm legitimately afraid of what Trump and his cronies will do when they lose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antti posted:

You can use it to create a shortcut for someone to national prominence, and that's why Perez or Castro is floated as a potential pick since the Democratic national bench is running thin (because their base doesn't vote in midterms). Castro is not going to be reach national elected office in Texas any time soon. Perez hasn't really run for anything so he's a bit of a gamble - if he discovers he hates campaigning he's going to be very miserable.

It's also a good way to groom someone for a future presidential run themselves, which again suggests Perez and Castro. Given what's known of Hillary, there's a very good chance that looking for a successor is prominent in her VP considerations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

It's Mississippi and it's not even close.

Kansas is trying awfully hard, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

showbiz_liz posted:

I can't believe this is real.

This is the kind of thing Hollywood nixes in dystopian sci-fi scripts for being too unrealistic and over the top.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This deserves to be quoted. Good Lord, if Trump skips the RNC...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trabisnikof posted:

Because some people prefer authentic politicians to politically effective ones?

Great, vote for your local dog catcher. The only "authentic" people gunning for President are authentic whackjobs like the wackier guys in the Republic primary who got trounced by a hair squig.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

b0ng posted:

Do politicians fire their campaign managers after the primary typically or is this just another example of Trump doing his own thing?

At this point, it's safe to assume that any resemblance Trump's campaign has to standard procedure for presidential campaigns is purely coincidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but they're low information voters.

You keep telling yourself that.

• Locked thread