Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My store is doing nothing but drafts of EMA when it comes out, $35/draft, limited to 3 drafts/person/day, to deal with their limited allotment. Should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Played a fun twist on a normal deck tonight at modern fnm: Nahiri Control with 4 swans of Bryn Argoll and 2(? Don't have the decklist on hand) Seismic Assault. 3 main deck Angers of the Gods.

When everything came together, the value was magical

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

Things that happened in legacy tonight at my LGS:

- My tin fins opponent drew the whole deck except 5 cards, couldn't go off, moved to discard, I point at their Jin-Gitaxias "you draw 7 and lose".
- I cast Arcanis the Omnipotent twice (and attacked with it for 6 in one game).
-Survived a turn where I untapped with 1 life and a Sulfiric Vortex in play.

Greatest format.
What deck runs Arcanis?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Biaga posted:

I am new to the thread and was introduced to the game via some close friends. They are seriously addicted, like I am worried sometimes, but in an effort to avoid my taunts they have recently purchased me a commander deck in hopes I will, like them, fall in love with the game. The commander deck they gave me was the Wade into Battle, and I was hoping to get some advice from goons on how to min-max it, because obviously I am totally not curious about beating them. Any advice would be helpful or if there is any trick of the trade I should know I would be greatful.

Ahahaha your friends gave you the worst of the past year's precon commander decks :rip:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

More lovely cards I want to play in Modern:

Doran, the Siege Tower

I gotchu fam, though this hasn't been updated for awhile.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Someone turned the Breakfast Burrito into some sort of dadaist art piece making it 10x more moving parts and inefficient while having the dubious upside of letting it work in multiplayer(????)

:allbuttons:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Norin Soul Sisters remains a barrel of hoots. Tonight I cast an Ajanis Pridemate and by eot it was at lethal power and toughness (and I was holding my fun-of Fling in hand :ocelot: )

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I do not regret replacing one of my lightning helixes in Norin Sisters with a Fling. Suddenly launching a giant Ajani's Pridemate at people's heads is the best unexpected victory.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

There's not much overlap between SnT and Breakfast Burrito :getin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Have fun 0/3 dropping!

Also play more Enlightened Tutors.

And Chants.

....and Isochron Scepter.

Basically play The Mighty Quinn.

Didn't The Mighty Quinn run 4 tops?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

It's me, the hipster wizard zookeeper that just pulls out a (managorger) hydra and throws it at my opponent in Vintage.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I need to pester my friend for the deck list, but he used to have (and loan me on occasion) a Jeskai Nahiri Control deck that also ran 2 Seismic, 3-4 swans, 1 Dakmor Salvage, and a lot of maindeck Angers.

It was a hoot.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

The Gate :corsair:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

So this is my current incarnation of Norin Soul Sisters, and it works fairly well. I like my assortment of fun-ofs to shake things up a bit (Fling-ing a giant Pridemate to get through blockers, or dropping aetherflux and headshotting someone out of nowhere, or a quick rushdown with a Chalice), but I have bad matchups against Tron, Jund(kinda), and Scapeshift. Any suggestions for tweaks or alternate sideboard choices?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

What myDad said, Blood Moon is killer against Tron and Scapeshift so I'd try to get at least one more into the board. Maybe cut the SB Ghost Quarter, or move it MD and cut the Westvale Abbey? Also I think I'd run 2x Chalice or Reservoir, but not both. I imagine Chalice is more consistent that Reservoir can give that "go over the top" sort of win that usually beats Jund.

How necessary are the Caverns? According to Deckstats this is pretty cheap outside of those and satisfies my lust for T2/T3 Modern decks. Also lets me sate my Lightning Helix lust.

Depends on how control-heavy your meta is. Being able to jam safe Humans (or Purphoros) against control is pretty powerful. While cutting the Westvale is an option, it's another comedy fun-of that I put in to get extra value from my Myr tokens (also I forgot Kher Keep existed at first) Plus they keep you from (mostly) imploding to Chalice on 1. Another Blood Moon is probably a good bet though. Kinda wish I still had room for the Dusk//Dawn I kept in an earlier incarnation of the sideboard.

Also: 50% of opponents have never seen Mark of Asylum before. They get really upset once they read it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Its your best answer to a Leyline of Sanctity as mill, yeah

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Walked posted:

The aim is to:
- Minimize risk of lending for me
- Maximize exposure to legacy while doing #1

Ideally I'd like to come up with 1-3 decks under $500 that I can put together to lend out. It looks like two of the three are probably going to be Budget Turbo Depths, and Mono Red Burn (this is just too cheap not to have around). Looking for 1 or 2 more.

If it's under 500 each, how about The Gate?
Give people the joy of casting Hymn to Tourach

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

So if I have Norin Sisters (foundries, caverns, g/w fetches, blood moon) there an amusing second deck I can build towards that isn't burn, Naya Zoo, or R/W prison? (I ain't buying chalices)

Bonus points for colossal slightly effective gimmicks

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

well now what the hell am i supposed to play

Managorger Hydra my friendo

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'd have to buy a green mox but those are basically free so that's not a big deal

i dunno I'll probably just go with landstill

holy poo poo I thought you were being sarcastic they're like 22 bux on modo

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I thought about that and it's a pretty interesting idea. Change the mana to include flagstones and a fetid heath or two, change the Bobs to smallpox. Might be hard to always cast 5 mana Gideon though.

I mean if you're poxing, don't you throw in mind stone? That or comedy answer Knight of the White Orchid

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

Knight of the White Orchid is not a joke and I will fight you to the death.

Sorry, comedy answer purely in the context of a pox deck.

Sadbot would be better but is also 4 mana

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish Sadbot was Modern playable so bad

I've seen it in two very fringe contexts: Mono-B Tron (mostly because of recurring value loops with Trading Post and Ichor Wellspring) and Mono-B Death Cloud (which also runs mind stone)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

It's also not an artifact. Keep in mind that while people do have creature removal in Vintage, a huge portion of the meta revolves around the ability to kill artifacts.

And push/swords/bolt are all Missteppable

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Hello I play Norin Sisters and have a crippling addiction to fun-ofs. I enjoy adding some unpredictability to my deck at the expense of consistency and I am perfectly aware and fine with that. The following cards have rotated in and/or out of my deck and/or sideboard at some point in the past two months:

Legions Landing, Spirit Link, Shrine of Loyal Legions, Fling, Path of Bravery, Chalice of Life//Death, Oblivion Ring, Collective Effort, Rune-Tail, Dusk//Dawn

Things that are in my deck already: suture priest, westvale, Kher keep, dismember, aetherflux reservoir

Things I'm waiting for the price to go down on a little more: Serra Ascendant, Archangel of Thune.

Not running because of WW and Suture Priest being in that slot: Auriok Champion.

No: Burn at the Stake

Please give me more ideas for goofy bullshit to try out on my deck

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 22, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I love that I'm not the only one who plays this card for some reason.

More pridemate triggers on command, turns on faster and provides a nice incremental clock compared to Aetherflux, and loss of life means funny interactions with worship, Angels Grace, etc

Rally seems spicy, I didn't think Mesa was in Modern and is worth considering. Rally wouldn't be bad but I'm leery about fivedrops, and Genesis Chamber makes Confusion a godawful clusterfuck.

So all in all, some good ideas already, thanks!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Infiltration Lens seems like a comedically bad not-Skullclamp. Basically says get a free 1/1 through every turn until I have a fat Champion or Pridemate.

Equip a sister, swing, stare directly into my opponents eyes

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Ask me about the time I killed a lethal Inkmoth with a Thalia in play and only 1 mana untapped and no Vial.

You were at 9 poison and used a gut shot?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

It's a hell of a lot slower but maybe replace 1-2 ghost quarters with field of ruin, since it doesn't have a May so you get guaranteed archive trapping

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Here's two really bad one-of funsies suggestions for your GB Tron deck: Villainous Wealth and/or Torment of Hailfire. Slightly less bad variation: Black Suns Zenith

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

General suggestion for fellow 42 Land Seismic Swans players:

Make sure 4 of your taplands are Wandering Fumaroles (These have given me a hell of a lot of extra pressure if I can't stick a bird but I have Seismic out, just swing for days and nuke all creatures, or another maindeck answer against Leyline) (Comedy synergy side or mainboard tech in conjunction with this, for dealing with Lantern decks - Oona's Grace)

Optional but potentially amusing:

Replace 1 Serum Visions with a Faithless Looting.
Replace an Anger of the Gods with a Blasphemous Act (this is the :getin: of :getin:s with a swan out)
Maindeck a Leyline of Anticipation for peak :wtc:

I beat an Esper Control player who turn 0 Leyline of Sanctity'd me game 1 by virtue of beating him and his planeswalkers with swans and fumaroles, shooting my fumaroles to death so they wouldn't get Pathed, (three of my swans were Detention Sphered), shooting down every token from his Bitterblossom (he cast Bitterblossom and Batterskull in the same turn, I cast Swan #4 on mine, he sighed and cast Verdict. The batterskull did nothing for the rest of the game), sticking the Leyline down later and him letting it resolve (I think it was a more removal and less counter heavy control deck), and a turn or 2 later slipping in Day's Undoing on his end step, keeping myself from getting decked and redrawing two of my Fumaroles. He doesn't have enough answers to those and his Bitterblossom killing him, and I take game 1 with 4 minutes to go on the round clock.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 4, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Didn't have enough people to fire Modern FNM tonight so I jammed a couple of practice games on GW Company with those who did show up. Quick thoughts-

--Either I've been under-valuing Tireless Tracker before tonight, or my opponents were undervaluing it, because whenever I stuck one I was able to really swing the game in my favor, often getting 3+ Clues before losing the Tracker. In my last game of the night I got both out at the same time, and hoo boy. Might go up to four as suggested by someone in the main thread, but I don't know what I'd cut. Probably Finks but in that case I would want to make space for them in the sideboard, which I don't know how I'd do.

--Speaking of sideboard, would it be a good idea to try and make room for a couple of Fairgrounds Wardens?

--From the makers of "Ghost Quarter myself" comes "Tec Edge myself", which I didn't realize you could do until I had to do so to pump a Knight for exactly lethal.

--There's a new-ish player at the store running Mono-black Devotion, and because we keep getting paired up (and I keep beating him) I'm trying to think of ways to improve his deck. He's running almost entirely basic Swamps outside of a few black fetchlands and a couple of Nykthoses, so I was trying to think of good utility lands to include in a monoblack deck. Any ideas? First one that came to mind was Field of Ruin since he's running Bloodghast and could benefit from the extra Landfall triggers.

One Leechridden Swamp for spice (and it's fetchable) and to get ready to snap up the reprint of Obliterator in M25

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Guess how Norin Sisters loses to Grishoalbrand on the play after opening t0 leyline of sanctity, t1 sister, t2 RiP, t3 Genesis Chamber hold up path, t4 Purphoros.

The answer is never drawing another creature and dying to four hard cast SSGs and myr backup

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm protesting my inability to resolve Jace's at FNM tonight by bringing the 27-lightning-bolt deck. :( The plan is to finish rounds fast and try to bait people into testing for next week.

So... Burn? Or a different deck?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

So a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to cast Villainous Wealth in Modern. Also decided to be lazy and just slap them into a GB Tron shell and save 75% of the decks cost by not buying the planeswalkers. Current hot pile of 💩 is as follows:

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Expedition Map
3 Oblivion Stone
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Terrarion

1 Emrakul, the Promised End
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Void Winnower
2 Oblivion Sower
1 Endbringer
1 World Breaker

2 Fatal Push
1 Scour from Existence

2 Forest
1 Blooming Marsh
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
1 Mana Confluence
1 Sanctum of Ugin

4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Sylvan Scrying
3 Villainous Wealth
1 Torment of Hailfire

//Sideboard
3 Thragtusk
2 Seal of Primordium
2 Nature's Claim
1 Swamp
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Duress
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Mistcutter Hydra

The store was out of Wurmcoil and All is Dust so I threw in Endbringer and Scour for the time being.

First night out with it, I stole a Geist from a spirits player, confused the ever loving hell out of a lantern player (and then milled him out with a Wealth for half his remaining deck into using his stuff on him), didn't quite get there against Jeskai control, black sunned a hardened scales deck away then later wealth'd Metallic Mimic and two Hangarbacks (meaning I got to play his game), and lost to mono black devotion despite one wealth giving me Flip Lilly, Nighthawk, Erebos, Whip, and the previous turn's Oblivion Sower getting me a Nykthos

I mean I went 2-3 for the night due to misplays bad luck and bad deck but goodness gracious it was a hoot

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I'm more of a fan of the ol B/W Tokens splashing blue for Polymorph myself but that seems good too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Current hot pile of 💩

So besides the obvious (find an AiD and 1+ Wurmcoil and maybe a Ballista), any other interesting/spicy suggestions? I prefer semi-effective gimmick over Good and Dull

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Thisuck posted:

MYR BATTLESPHERE

What the gently caress how did I forget about this. It's both a wincon and/or 5 bodies to defend with.

Is Booby Trap too spicy for lantern and Jace decks?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Played against a U/W miracles deck yesterday. They Serum Visions'd up a Temporal Mastery into an Entreat the Angels for 2.

I untapped and Villainous Wealth'd them for 5 hitting J:tMS, Cryptic (draw/bounce a token), Path (other token), Entreat (stay in exile you piece of rubbish) and a land

JtMS is pretty good in modern guys :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It also ups your odds of finding your Blood Moons early and helps repair damage done by discard.

gently caress I wish we could find any other name for the archetype though.

Angry (Non)-Hermit was the original synthesis of Trinity Green and Ponza Red into the RG Ramp-Denial archetype