Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Momir Vig can be so cruel sometimes. Solarion into Denizen of the Deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I'd like to talk about a decklist today. Specifically, this decklist: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/420679#online

I'm mainly interested in sideboard choices and the Jund matchup. Why run Linvala in the board when Pod isn't a card anymore? For the mirror/Infect? What can this deck do to not get pasted by Jund? What decks are Eidolon and Teeg being brought in against (Eidolon especially, isn't Storm dead)? Is the deck really so reliant on the combo that Twisted Image is a good sideboard card for Spellskite?

Eidolon stops Storm, Ad Nauseum, Grishoalbrand, cheaper Infect blowouts. Could slow down Control (in a sense of letting them draw 3 and then killing the rest of their turn.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sigma-X posted:

Geralf's Messenger is actually a good gB pickup too that you don't get in Jund.

I think the rock deck will exist when there's enough heavy B or heavy G cards that cutting the third color makes more sense.

I don't think Mindbender is very good because it's only powerful on curve, it sucks as a top deck and in this kind of rock deck you want a lot of ability to grind or earn extra cards.

Living the dream of T3 Messenger, T4 attack for 3, sac for Mindbender sounds like the best thing ever so I want to make that happen now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Im the 4 explores (and zero other ramp spells)

Explore is a pump spell, not ramp. Deck looks dumb and fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Is Dromoka's Command worthwhile in Modern? I have a copy of that lying around and am tempted to throw it in the SB since every mode is useful here.

I used to try it in Bogles but most of the time I just wanted Path. Hatebears I could see it being in the SB for something but it is not the best option.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 3-0 playing RG Ponza at Modern. It felt fun land-screwing people but I had alot more fun playing the Sudden Reclamation deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what's your list? I'm putting together a list i put in the Brewhaus thread with Eldritch Evolutions

Closer to this list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/478912#online

Except still Inferno Titans instead of Thundermaw.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bosk is hot tech in the Doran Assault deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan-assault#paper

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

Question: am I crazy for wanting to prefer Tombstalker over Gurmag Angler? Is the one extra black mana in the casting cost that big of a deal breaker just for something with wings?

I tried having a 3/2/1 Taisgur/Angler/Stalker split in Grixis Delver and the forced BB actually did hurt in many games. It also just won me a couple games.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ThePeavstenator posted:

Played dredge tonight for the first time at modern FNM with no practice and went 3-1. Never played more than 15 minutes each round.

Sounds like a good way to play magic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Playing with a suboptimal build or a not-really-an-archtype (in this case, sultai vial) for fun is not the same as making obviously bad decisions in game. God forbid anyone have fun playing magic, right?

If you are not playing to see your enemies cower before your kid game skills then gently caress off into the EDH thread where fun is supposed to happen

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you never plan on selling it who cares.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Voyager I posted:

I wouldn't feel tied to a 3rd color. Half the point of Push is that your grindy Bx decks don't need to splash for one mana removal.

If you're going that hard on control though, you might want Ancestral and maybe some copies of the -3/-3 wipe that casts stuff from your hand.

My friend plays Sultai in Modern with Ancestral. He says that Push and the Expertise have really pumped the deck up. I played against him with Burn, RG Titan, and Grixis Delver and he won every match.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

L0cke17 posted:

Do you have a list? Its about time for my every 6 months foray into modern for 2 weeks until I remember why I hate it and quit again.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/405124#paper

Still a work in progress. He was a very big UB control player before he shilled out the money for Goyfs and Zen fetches. The biggest problem he said was that there was not a good interaction spells T1, only Serum Visions or discard. Fatal Push gives you ways to stymie aggro or creature ramping decks. The SB he doesn't like but there are alot of Tron, Dredge, and Burn players.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boco_T posted:

I'll keep working on my list in Deckbox so you can see it.

If the meta is BG decks and Affinity and Burn, it is in quite a good position. I mean it loses 100% of the time to Tron and I'm betting the Eldrazi match-up also stinks, but Modern's always rock-paper-scissors so you just have to depend on your luck.

I've beaten Eldrazi with it before because we can get away with maindecking Ghost Quarter. You need to be playing at least 2-3 (and probably surgical in the SB) in order to have any chance against them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I really want to since I own the lands and the finishers are all really cheap but I don't want to buy $40 Blood Moons, at least not with all of the other crap I want to build (and never play) right now :negative:

Paging GoutPatrol to the thread, I think he posted a list not too long ago.

After playing it for a while I've gotten really bored with it. When there isn't alot of variation of deck styles at my store I also didn't want to bore people playing me as well. I ended up playing most of the same stuff in the Sudden Reclamation/Valakut deck.

I didn't play Magus or the Madcap combo as well. It does very well against Jund/Junk builds but that is the same for every single RG ramp style deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I've been slowly putting this together too but waiting before I bring it out, hopefully with the GGT ban there will less GY hate floating around (and that Loams will go down in price since I need a few more)

E: By "same stuff" do you mean you're running the fatties from Ponza or something?

I'm talking about lands/SB tech mostly. Finks/Thrun/Baloths.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I went 3-0 at the local modern event playing BW tokens, but in my 2nd match I played the strangest deck. It was turbofog but with a really strange wincon. This was quite the brew, and none of it very good.

The deck played 4 Forbidden Orchard, City of Brass, and Scrylands, no basics. The other utility lands were a Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, and the one from Eldritch Moon where if you discard cards you can put them on top of your library. No creatures, the only non-fogs were Scribbling Claws, Leyline of Sanctity, Jace Beleren, and Days Undoing. So his plan was to draw 2-3 cards a turn, fog every turn, while exiling your cards one at a time with the Claws. Then he would Days Undoing, getting a full set of fogs while you had less cards in your library next go around. Then mill you out. He was playing the old Timetwister lock...but in Modern. In every other match this guy got destroyed but it took me a really long time to finally beat him games 1-2. The only enchantment removal I had in the entire deck was 1 Anguished Unmaking and 1 SoM Elspeth so every time he had a Days I would need to keep waiting until I drew my Unmaking again to get rid of stuff. Against any deck with Burn, it was too slow. Against any deck with more discard, it was too slow. Against any decks with counterspells, it was too slow. But you gotta give an A for effort.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Any Liliana split is 3/1, if they play last hope at all. I think Spirits has a lot more game against tron than bogles just because it can play at instant speed so you can hold up your Companies and flash guys if you predict an Ugin or queller an o-stone. Don't know what the affinity matchup feels like though. Tron and ad naus seem popular right now and GBx decks are very high in percentage, and most do run a single maelstrom pulse.

Yeah but Suppression Field in the main against Tron is the best feeling. Buys you the extra 1-2 turns to win. They need a natural Tron to get you.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its cool that he got to play the Eldrazi guy who made it to top 8.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

if there's any justice in this world, that was game 1 and you lost on time

Lantern is a deck where I go "I don't support you but I support your right to play it."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Still trying to fine-tune Esper Mill for next Modern FNM after being off of it for a few months, I feel pretty good about this version-

Have you tried just straight UB with Fatal Push instead? I always had problems with the Esper list even if the Path/Archive trap interaction was nice. Instead I was able to go up to 4 Ghost Quarters and 4 Orbs maindeck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm going to be playing at a GPT tomorrow. I have the drifts not for Chalice (no one plays those near me) but for Leyline of Sanctity, which several people here do use. An Echoing Truth would stop that for a turn but if you put it on top you'll be milling it away with the Orb when they untap.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Yeah but I feel dirty putting cards back on their library, even if I can mill them away immediately after. I've had a couple games in the past where I've lost to opponents with 0-3 cards in their library. I dunno, maybe Night is better for countering wide strategies, I worry about a deck like Tokens which plays a bunch of "creatures" but Crypt Incursion doesn't work. Also I don't think I've ever seen Leyline here but there's a couple people with Chalice.

Good luck tomorrow, I would definitely read a trip report if you feel like writing one. Make sure people are honest about Orb triggers because I had to remind a couple guys not to rush through their untap steps! Also you can Ghost Quarter yourself for extra Hedron Crab triggers in a pinch (which is almost how I had to win R2G2 if not for the Glimpse topdeck).

OK, here is the write-up. Only 8 people showed up (which is pretty good for a Sunday turnout, with another store having another Modern GPT on Saturday.) I went 2-1, only losing the final round.

My deck list:
Deck: Dimir Mill

//Lands
2 Watery Grave
1 Bloodstained Mire
3 Swamp
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Darkslick Shores
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ghost Quarter

//Mill
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
2 Manic Scribe
3 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
4 Archive Trap
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

//Other
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Fatal Push
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond
3 Crypt Incursion

//Sideboard
2 Breaking // Entering
2 Dispel
2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Lost Legacy
2 Set Adrift
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Yahenni's Expertise

Display deck statistics

Round 1 vs 4C Gifts
I had played this person before. They use Gifts to bring back Elesh Norn and backing it up with Lingering Souls, countermagic, and Abrupt Decay. I go T1 Crab, T2 Glimpse to mill the Norn and Surgical it out. It goes pretty quickly for me after that when I can surgical out the Souls a few turns later.

Out: Crypt, Pushes, Manic Scribe In: Cage, Leyline, Set Adrift, Lost Legacy (I know he plays Leylines)

G2 is going pretty well until he lands a Batterskull and I have no way to kill it and no way to gain life. I can see that the Norn has been taken out and replaced with Iona. I draw several of my Leylines with no way to cast them. I get them down to around 10 cards before they get me. G3 is going very well but I begin to run out of steam. He only has around 15 cards left when he goes for a Gifts hoping to bring back Iona, and I Shelldock Isle in a Leyline so it fizzles :krad:

Round 2 vs. Ad Nauseam
Game 1 goes very well. I quickly mill away their Lightning Storm and I surgical out Angel's Grace. With less than 20 cards left they Spoils of the Vault looking for Lab Maniac, and find it with 2 cards left in their library. They cast it, and I end step Push it. They Pact, but then on my turn I Snap back the Push and they concede.

Out: Push, Scribe, Crypt Incursion In: Leylines, Set Adrift, Surgical, Lost Legacy, Dispel

Game 2 they keep a no lander but 2 Leylines on the battlefield. I never get any of mine to show up besides the first match. I land an Orb but they only have 1 land, and continue to play Lotus Blooms, not milling anything. I have 1 Ashiok on the battlefield, one in my hand that can't do anything. I start milling myself with some crabs looking for action, but eventually they find their combo with around 30 cards left, enough to kill me with the storm. Taking out the Pushes was the right move, because after Surgicaling a discarded Slight of Hand, I saw they took out the Lab Maniac. Game he doesn't have a Leyline to start, and had mulled to 6 and looked sad. I keep a hand with a Crab, glimpse, two Surgicals, and 3 lands. I get the Ad Nauseum out turn 2, the Angel's Graces next turn, and once I mill the Lab Maniac he concedes.

Round 3 vs...Titan Breach :cry:
Very lame. I keep a really good hand while they begin ramping. I Ghost Quarter their Valakut early on so they can't get me that way. I get through about 3/4th of the library before the Emmy shows up and I had tapped out to play Ashiok the previous turn, hoping to exile it that way. He didn't really draw any threats but I had to get that thing out of the deck. Eventually he gets a Prime Time out and he is failing to find lands to keep more cards in his deck. Emmy shows up and I crypt incursion, gaining around 20 life which keeps me alive long enough to win.

Out: Scribe, Mind Funeral (not very economical with a high land count deck) Push In: Yahenni, Breaking, Lost Legacy, Surgical
Game 2 I get rid of the Emmy early with a Trap/Surgical so I think I'm in the clear. I begin to stall out and only get them down around to 15 cards before a Obstinate Baloth and Pia and Kiran get me. Game 3 is a real tough one. I keep a hand of 2 land, Crab, Sbapcaster, Glimpse, 2 Surgical. I play Crab turn 1, Glimpse T2. Then he plays Chalice of the Void for 1. I surgical out Titan and Baloth, the only things in the GY besides lands and lightning bolt in response before they become dead (I didn't bring in the set adrifts.) So I am basically down to a few ways to win: Hope they draw Emrakul with no way to Breach it, Expertise into Breaking/Entering and hit it that way, or Crypt Incursion and hope I gain enough life to mill them out twice.

I am at 6 life with a Breaking/Entering, Snapcaster, and Archive Trap in my hand, and no other permanents besides land. They have no Valakuts, but a Pia and Kiran, Sakura Tribe Elder, and Simian Spirit Guide on the battlefield. I have another Trap in the yard and Ghost Quarters to use. They go in for the attack, I flash in Snapcaster, targeting Trap. I Quarter them and search. I Trap them twice, so they have no more library. But they use their mana to sacrifice the Thopter, shooting down the Snapcaster before blocks, giving them exactly 6 damage going through. The Emrakul was in their hand.

If I were to change something, I would play a Steam Vents just in case for Breaking/Entering, but otherwise the deck played really well.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 12, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Scribes were doing work. I would keep them in against creature decks, of which I played really none. Against decks like Elves/Merfolk/Fairies I would bring in the Breaking/Expertise and probably take out the traps because they don't do alot of searching unless I force them to. Ashiok was really good as well against these decks for the most part because they had very few ways to get rid of him, or he bought you a couple turns of attacks. I was very afraid of Emrakul while playing it never really was a problem during the games. Valakut would have been much scarier but running that many Ghost Quarters kept it in check. My opponent afterward said he would have played GR Scapeshift that day (an excellent matchup) but he had lent out his copies. If I was playing against Tron and Scapeshift all day I would be doing very well. I guess that is what I love about my store: no one is really playing all the best decks.

The 8 decks yesterday were:
Merfolk
Abzan
Titan Breach
4C Gifts
Mill
Izzet Burn
Fairies
Ad Nauseam

I just happened to only play the less creature-heavy decks that day, which made it easier for me to win.

And I guess you were right about the Snapcaster. If I couldn't trap twice then I would have won with the Breaking on my turn, but the hardest part was damage. I could get another Shelldock Isle and cut more basics but I really liked how the mana felt. There was a reason I cut Breaking/Entering from the list in the first place: Orb is better. Double Orbs are a house. Late-game you get people refusing to cast cards because it will hit them for 10-15 cards.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pontius Pilate posted:

What does izzet burn look like? Snappy obviously but beyond that? Did he sneak in some treasure cruises?

It took a big hit since Probe was banned, but imagine most of the red parts of burn, but with Young Pyro, Stormchaser Mage, Serum Visions, and Vapor Snag. Sometimes Delver is there, sometimes not. I would call it Burn more than a Delver deck because it runs 4x Lava Spike and Rift Bolt.

I would say Ashiok is a much better card in mill because it does require alot of board presence already by turn 3 to die or they need to waste multiple cards to try and kill it. Sometimes it is just a fog, but if it keeps living acts in the same way as a pinger that gets stronger in the late game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

--Any suggestions for card #60? It was Startled Awake last time and Ashiok this time, but I haven't cast any fun-ofs in this build thus far. And now I'm thinking of making that flex spot into Psychic Spiral because gently caress it :v:

If you really have no clue, another Snap.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I thought UW Control was supposed to be the DS killer? You just grind them out with Condemn and Blessed Alliance. Then play 3-4 Spreading Seas and Ghost Quarters for them and Tron. They are so basic lite and color intensive it can lick them out of a game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

I am going to unironically play mill at a home court 1k tomorrow. I stopped playing it when Treasure Cruise was legal but never really took it apart.
I don't have snaps but I'll improvise (and it never worked for me in my builds)

Yeah snap is probably the worst card and the best card at the same time. I run 2 but could cut them for Orb 4 and another fatal push.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sixfools posted:

I've been playing u/b faeries(modern) recently and been having a ton of fun. I had most of the cards put together from a failed casual tribal map campaign at a store.
Was playing against Esper last night at the lgs and had a fun time pointing out that Bitterblossom is indeed a faerie when I Mistbind Clique'd on his upkeep and he responded by Pathing and Pushing my two rogue tokens in play to try and stop the champion effect.
Deck is just plain fun. Peppersmoke is stronger then one would think, it is useful for getting Secluded Glen in untapped without revealing your other faeries, as well as having shroud if you use Scion of Oona. 2x Death's Shadow in the side works really really well.

I don't think Peppersmoke should get shroud. That only applies to permanents, right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

We actually have a guy who's been showing up with Mono-U Turns for about a year now. I was playing against him on Mill and I landed a turn 2 Mesmeric Orb when he was tapped out. He cast his first Time Walk, realized what that meant with Orb in play, and immediately scooped.

Ghost Quarter is also really effective, especially game 1 before they can bring in any alternate wincons.

That really shouldn't be a problem. Find your cryptics, find your gigadrowse, and you could win. And your archive traps are bad because of the lack of fetches.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

I'm 5-1 in practice matches against deaths shadow. T1 molten vortex will often get you there and the deck has no way to deal with a successfully resolved seismic assault.

But sometimes you just lose to your deck. It's super fun at least, and it has weird lines.

It seems like there are so many more holes in the Grixis matchup where Abrupt Decay would solve alot of these problems. Why did so many people switch to Grixis (besides the obvious "much cheaper" reason)? Stubborn Denial can't be worth having a big hole against the RIP/Leyline plan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also a Jace unban without a huuuge supply boost would cause it to be like a 200 dollar card overnight.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Lile all the ones that get played now, such as

Scapeshift
TKS
Collected Company
Past in Flames
Cryptic

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

So a 2-3 mana creature, 2 spells that end the game on resolution, a spell nobody plays, and a 2-for-1 instant speed spell in a deck with mana dorks. I'm really not seeing your point here; Jace is really bad against every one of those cards.

Cards that win games are cast on turn 4, like Jace

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Iirc it was designed for standard, where it was a good but fair card. There were no fetches in that standard, naturally.

DRS and LotV were two cards that really hit older formats much more than standard. They were exactly what development was trying to do: hit older formats without destroying standard.

I could see them banning Wraith next January. Grixis Shadow now is like a super fast version of Modern Grixis Control and Delver.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really like playing UW Control. It can do very well against Shadow and Eldrazi Tron. But regular Tron and Titanshift is still a problem if you don't get a Spreading Seas or find the Ghost Quarters.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah shadow is a good matchup and it does fine against a lot of other decks, plus tron isn't super popular now. Doesn't seem to be a consensus on what kind of GQ/tech edge split there should be. Gabe Nassif says zero GQ and 4 Tec edge, some people do the opposite. Any deck that lets me play Gideon Jura is a good time.

I'm following the bennyhillz version of the deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/687181#paper

2 GotT, 2 Jace, 1 Gideon Jura main deck, 1 Elspeth SB and I'm also running 2 Ally of Zendikar. When I first saw the list I thought it was crazy to run so few Snapcasters but Wall does work, and your PWs are really how you win. With Jeskai you're running more because of the Bolt/Snap/Bolt combo.

https://www.cardknocklife.com/2017/07/02/modern-uw-control-mtgos-bennyhillz/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So, Gideon Tribal? Without the janky token spells from the time saffronolive tried the deck.

3 Gideon of the Trials
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Gideon Jura

4 Dark Confidant

4 Lingering souls
4 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
2 Collective Brutality
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
2 Wrath of God

4 Marsh Flats
2 Windswept Heath
4 Godless Shrine
3 Shambling Vent
1 Swamp
3 Plains
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Concealed Courtyard
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Isolated Chapel

Just a starting point. Seems pretty decent now aside from a tron matchup, having even two Gideons out seems like it would feel like a board lock. Tons of removal and discard to back up the strategy, lingering souls is always good... numbers probably need tweaking but i'm definitely going to test it.

Make it pox and Tron seems an easier match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just got to live the mill dream against Skred Red. Turn 2 Orb, turn 3 Fraying Sanity, turn 4 double Glimpse.