Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm currently working out what I can play without much that isn't from EMA, or the last 10 years or so.
It wont necesarily be the cheapest deck, but not buying into a blue duals manabase will be a huge help.
Likely looking at Nic Fit.
Anyone interested in the lists I end up looking at?
Or does anyone have some interesting, relatively budget lists (I say budget... around $500 or so, which is pretty budget for legacy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Your best bets currently for EMA and non reserved-list decks (and I should mention these in the op) are OmniTell, Death & Taxes, Burn, or Eldrazi. NicFitis a fine-ish deck but you'll still need a fair amount of duals to make it 'good' since it's often a 4-5 color deck. $500 is not a particularly large budget for paper legacy, even burn is closer to 700 now.

An interesting thing to try if your budget is pretty strict around $500 is to go into dredge. You can start with Manaless Dredge, which is a BAD DECK. However, it's very cheap. From there you can get LEDs as you have money, which lets you play actual Dredge. That is a much better deck at the very least, though still not really top tier. However, after you have the LEDs / Cabal Therapy / Petals / etc, you can start building towards ANT. You'd obviously start with shocks there instead of seas/volc, but it gives you a clear path of progression assuming you like degen decks.

I do already have Breakfast Burrito, without LEDs for sideboard Belcher option.
I feel like I want to move into a more "fair"deck.
I have one of's of each of bayou, taiga and badlands, so a jund nic fit with plenty basics to fetch with explorer might work, and things have been fine in testing. (Not amazing, but we are talking budget.)

D&T, Burn and Eldrazi are decks friends of mine already have, and omni-tell doesn't look that interesting to me tbh.

I know this won't be the best, but it's not for the toughest competition either.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

^^ "Nic Fit" is just a catchall for the GBx builds - they're anywhere from 3-5 colors, have a bit of a ramp strategy, and win via creatures. It was just a joke name from the Source forums where someone said they had a deck that they thought would be "a nic fit for the current meta". The misspelling stuck.

Honestly if I was going to do a NicFit deck it would be a maverick or abzan in general version - turn 2 siege rhino, and you get to play the GB commander that has experience counters for good value. Jund in general (both "real" jund and nicfit) are a bit of a dog in the current meta, but that doesn't matter too much if your local isn't full of Miracles and Delver.

Lists similar to this : http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-nic-fit-25716#paper

There's a lot of room to budget off that deck, especially if you have fetches or any of the duals.

Yeah, the rhino decks seem sweet, but there's a cool list floating around with birthing pod. That said, its running blue, inc. Duals...

The only bits of the linked list i should struggle with post EMA is the manabase, and as you say, if im not expecting delver/miracles, then dropping a few percentage points and running basics plus khans fetches may not be too bad.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

OK, I'll be that guy: Nic Fit is unique from other GBx builds as it specifically plays (and exploits) the interaction between Veteran Explorer and Cabal Therapy, as well as Pernicious Deed as the board-wipe of choice, and often Sensei's Divining Top to take advantage of all the shuffle effects. Its best matchups are decks that don't play very many duals, which allows VE to be one-sided and can ramp you at crazy speeds while your opponent gains nothing.

T1: Bayou, GSZ into Dryad Arbor.
T2: Phyrexian Tower, cast Veteran Explorer, sac VE for BB and two more basics, hard-cast a 4-drop or GSZ for a three-drop
T3: You have 6 lands in play vs. your opponent's three

What you do with all that ramp depends on what your third colour is:

Blue: Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Consecrated Sphinx (plus you get Brainstorm)
White: Siege Rhino, Sun Titan, the best sideboard options
Red: Scapeshift into Valakut :getin:

Pretty sure you mean against decks that don't run many basics.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Okay, this is dope, and I now know what I'm gonna practice on xmage, to see if I wanna build.
Love me some Doomsday.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

quote:

1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Birthing Pod
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Eldritch Evolution
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Path to Exile
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Eternal Witness
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Academy Rector
1 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
1 Thragtusk
2 Siege Rhino
3 Wall of Blossoms
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Karakas
2 Plains
1 Temple Garden
3 Swamp
1 Bayou
4 Forest
4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
1 Aegis of the Gods
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Stony Silence
2 Thoughtseize
1 Pithing Needle
2 Tsunami
1 The Gitrog Monster
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Painful Quandary
1 Golgari Charm
1 Chalice of the Void

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Cut the too cute jank like Yosei, play max hymns. Hymn will give you more game vs most combo and control decks, especially since you also have cabal therapies.

The older build I had, with more Rhinos, had DL Dromoka in that spot, but Yosei is a lock with Recurring Nightmare.

I agree it looks too cute, but Yosei is better than you think, if you get to use the trigger repeatedly, and on a 5/5 flying body.

You may be right about hymn though. But BB is tough to guarantee early enough for it to be relevant.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

It's like how Lava Spike is strictly better than Lightning Bolt because you can't accidentally target your opponent's 2/3 Tarmogoyf.

I think you mean "can't have it redirected by your opponents Spellskite"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

Yesterday I found a local shop that holds legacy events every couple of months, 75 proxies allowed, and apparently the meta is super broad but with a preference for burn, dredge, and assorted chalice decks. Anybody got some gonzo poo poo that doesn't auto-lose to two or more of those? Getting owned is fine, but I want to blow at least one person's mind.

Just play Breakdast Burrito aka Oops All Spells.

It's great against anything without Force of Will, and should be reasonable against the Chalice decks when on the play.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The obvious answer is to play Doomsday .

I mean yes, but Doomsday is difficult.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

eSporks posted:

Nissa Nic Fit, make it happen.

If Tropical Islands weren't a billion pounds each, I'd have already swapped to BUG NIC FIT for Legacy, and would absolutely be testing Nissa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I can see a different version of the deck as a ramp deck possibly working, but I think Blood Sun costing 3 might just be a little high to let that deck be a thing, whereas 1) Amulet comes down on 1 and 2) the deck can function without the amulet.