Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Resleeved my Vintage deck in KMC Perfect Hards today, and it's definitely better protected now. The problem is that it no longer fits in my UltraPro Pro-Deck Box, and all the work (and money) into foiling it out has basically been undone. It's so tough to get light to hit the cards right for foiling to show up at all with the thicker, cloudier Hards.

Any extra-large deck box recommendations? Preferably something with like one big compartment for the deck, and one smaller one for Mentor tokens, or just one large compartment. I don't want to do a double-box and break the deck in half when I put it away.

Sorry for your Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Also a moment of silence for the last Weissman style deck that was still tier 1 in any format.

This is the great loss today

The end of an era

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well everyone have fun playing the Deathrite mirrors forever and probably losing to Elves while doing it.

I'm sorry for confusing your perspective on this ban w/ McMagic steve

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, but that's the issue. The only answer to moon being "always hold up 2 Mana and decay"

Force of Will also exists and is a very useful card against Blood Moon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Censor seems like it might be a legit card.

Cycling for 1 is a huge deal, really.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Do y'all think that the UB Faeriestill deck gets any better in nuLegacy? Do Faerie decks get better in general? Spellstutter Sprite is still the nut and we'll probably see less Decays which means Bitterblossom is probably a better threat. Can my dream deck of Esper Faerieblade be viable now?

Fairies are still bad friend

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As cool as that deck is, it is no match for this deck featuring 3 copies of one of my all time favorite cards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Having tried out Nissa in Bant Company I've liked her a lot so far for the Wrath matchups, really want to try Vizier of the Menagerie because I'm seeing that a bit too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Counters Company is a dumb name and I refuse to acknowledge it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Fine Jace can stay gone

Instead free Stoneforge

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Sorry, comedy answer purely in the context of a pox deck.

Sadbot would be better but is also 4 mana

I wish Sadbot was Modern playable so bad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the benevolent gods at wotc have given us Opt in modern. it replaces sleight of hand in storm, right? I don't really see where it's worse and it is much better in the situation where you want the top two cards of your library.

It seems worse in the instance where the card on top is even worse than the card you bottomed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

eSporks posted:

It also runs utility lands like the white ETB protection from a color land to help the Knight get through or pump it more.

It very rarely runs that, it's such a bad card to draw.

C-Euro posted:

I know it's only a PPTQ but lol at this Modern Top 8 featuring Infect, Cheerios, and MonoG Stompy.

Also someone refresh my memory on the KotR/Retreat to Coralhelm combo- get both in play, repeatedly sac lands to Knight and untap it with Retreat until you have a really big Knight? Are you trying to empty the typed lands and fetches out of your deck in one go, or is that you can pump your Knights for basically free whenever you want to?

You run out all your lands at once, tap your opponent's board down and swing with a 20/20 Knight, probably generating extra mana off of a mana dork to funnel into a Kessig Wolf Run for lethal.

I like that the deck runs Ramunap Excavator and Azusa but holy poo poo do I not want to pay 50 dollars apiece for two copies of that mediocre card :rip:

But I'm pretty sure Ghost Quartering someone 4 times in a turn is good game on it's own

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah it was common early on but the fusion of vizeir knightfall is a better deck.

Is it actually, though? The deck lacks the synergies Junk Vizier or Elves Vizier does and loses out on a lot of the tempo beatdown plan in exchange. What does it gain?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's hideous!

Turn on your monitor

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Its actually not that good in the deck. Plus youre a 4 chalice deck with diamonds. Also the mana effect and damage effect is pretty mediocre when you want to be loaming all your lands and all your spells can be recurred, so youre dependent on your opponents graveyard only.

I've seen a lot of versions of the deck run a singleton to GSZ for but idk if Scooze isn't close to better for that purpose

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What matchups would you want the Kari Zev's expertise in?

Death's Shadow I think

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

First round of Legacy at GP Atlanta my Reanimator opponent had what's usually a god hand: Chancellor reveal, Unmask exiling an Animate Dead to take my Swords to Plowshares, land, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume. At first I was like, "Yay, I got to play so much Magic, that was fun," but Karakas off the top? Same problem Lands has with their combo, we can deal with their big flashy poo poo without even spending a card.

She punted hard, though. Seeing my hand was all little white creatures, she Entombed Elesh Norn. No matter what she chose, I bounce with Karakas, but if she had gotten Griselbrand or Sire of Insanity, she could have gotten some kind of value.

She was pretty pissed at the time, but we bumped into each other the next day and did a pretty decent-sized trade.

Sire of Insanity can't get bounced

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Does humans have a good Jund/DS matchup?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Name a fair deck that will have a hard time beating Stoneforge. There isn't one.

If anything fair decks get a boost from having Stoneforge around, especially white decks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also idk that current Modern control’s problem is having finishers so much as it is a lack of ways to have the right removal at the right time to answer every threat in the format

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

1. What Legacy deck are you referring to because I want Sandwurm Convergence to be playable somewhere.

Rector Fit

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah the card price of progress specifically is well positioned at the moment. i don't think it really matters which PoP deck you play since they're all pretty medium, but my preference is to have access to Force of Wills and cantrips.

that sandwurm convergence is hilarious. I know burn used to run stuff like Angel of Despair and then that one that came out in RTR block that also exiled something on the way out. this just seems way better

Goblins used to run Confusion in the Ranks

You either get their Omniscience or their Emrakul and it owns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm waiting for some parts for UW & (modern) miracles to show up, I think I am going to sleeve this up this week:

Affinity seems like it will absolutely trash you

E: turn 2 souls is definitely a thing though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Now that we have Jace, where does he go? 2-3 in Jeskai control, Miracles (which might almost be a real deck now? I've been winning games on MODO with loving Jace The Guildpact)... do any of the GDS builds want this?

Jeskai control, some kind of blue junk list as a curve topper, he could potentially slot into Lantern, there are decks that might want him as a sideboard card vs control (Bant Knightfal)

Basically any slower deck with blue might want one or two.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I’m really hoping is that the presence of Jace doesn’t completely choke out other decks, especially midrange.

Right now there’s definitely a ton of hype around him and it does seem like he might be choking out other options for decks and alternative cards in decks. Terminus especially is a card without easy answers for a lot of decks that just smokes out a game.

I guess it won’t be 100% clear until we see some tournament results.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
// 60 Maindeck
// 26 Creature
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Voice of Resurgence
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Courser of Kruphix
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Spell Queller
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Tireless Tracker

// 1 Enchantment
1 Retreat to Coralhelm

// 8 Instant
4 Path to Exile
4 Collected Company

// 23 Land
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Breeding Pool
3 Forest
1 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
1 Temple Garden
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Gavony Township
2 Flooded Strand
1 Botanical Sanctum
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Island

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 15 Sideboard
// 10 Creature
SB: 2 Kitchen Finks
SB: 2 Izzet Staticaster
SB: 1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
SB: 3 Geist of Saint Traft
SB: 2 Reflector Mage

// 1 Enchantment
SB: 1 Stony Silence

// 4 Instant
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Unified Will

Since I want to talk Jace lists, I'm testing this out currently.

Any thoughts?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Copter shines in a format with Jace because it's a really easy way to constantly threaten a swing at him and it dodges sorcery speed removal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Please explain sir.

The big mana sorcery speed deck does not like Mistbind Clique

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I wonder if Merfolk will make a tiny upswing to punish decks playing with Islands.

It probably depends if they’re running Terminus or not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With more Co Brus it probably can

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Does Modern Death and Taxes/Hatebears still run one or two singleton Swords Of X & Y? Feel like I used to see lists with them but haven't in a while.

The midrange deck where it was most relevant (Jund) runs like 5 mainboard answers to it now.

KoCo killed equipment pretty dead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to talk Jace construction theory.

What kinds of decks does Jace optimally function in? Decks where he’s one threat of many? Decks where he’s coming down after exhausting your opponent’s options? Or decks that power him out turn 3 leaving up Birds and Hierarchs to block?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Knuckles.wav

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

This is me this week, I think. Jacekai Nohiri.

reciprocate is my token bad card that people will have to lean over and read

Ancestral Vision seems a lot better in the board than the main since a lot of decks will be tuned to specifically go under Jace right now.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by halfassing miracles and having a board of them, it's either strong enough to build around specifically or it's not strong enough to have at all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

j8910 posted:

What's the most fun modern deck?

Any KoTR deck

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Collected Company into two Knights will never not feel good

Same with randomly pumping them from 6 to 10 thanks to another Knight and a Ghost Quarter and making that big swing lethal out of nowhere

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Got to Tec Edge myself to pump a Knight to lethal a couple weeks ago, can confirm that it feels good.

As a KotR aficionado, what do you think about when determining when to use her land-tutoring ability and when to start swinging for the fences? Is there a certain amount of lands you like to have in the yard?

When you can kill them in 3 swings is not a bad place to start, that’s generally after your second activation (should be able to put KoTR to 7 with a single fetch cracked).

It also depends on if you have other creatures out and swinging at the same time too.

Once they’re a 6/6 or 7/7 is generally when I feel pretty good about it.

E: and when you have two Knights out, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to leave them hanging back as 6/6 blockers for a turn if you can afford it, because the turn after they’re representing an entirely lethal swing on their own.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tinkered with BBE in a Knightfall deck? Testing with Jace has been pretty reasonable so far but I know some people are trying that route too and it seems worth testing.

Typically the deck’s worst matchups are Tron and Control and I’m looking to improve those. Jace seems incredible vs. both Control and Lantern but just makes us durdle more vs. Tron. I’m looking at slapping 3 Geist in the board for those matchups but I’m not sure about it, does BBE change the nature of those matchups? Is it actually worth trying over Company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.twitch.tv/dutchopenseries first medium size tournament with the new cards is going on for anyone who wants to take a look