Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
hey good post Skyl3lazer, one note on Elves: there are 2 diverging decks in the archtype right now, typical Natural Order elves and "Chaos" Elves ("No Order") which drops the NO for maindeck gaddock teeg, karakas, crop rotation savannah. So, it's around a couple hundred bucks to buy into Chaos Elves if you have Elves.

The Chaos build is popular right now because as a more grindy/midrange deck, it doesn't fold as hard to Force of Will or Terminus (and maindeck Teeg is good against Miracles). I don't know if it's placed in a major paper event, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

will food chain be any good with the 3-drop play-from-exile dude? What would a list drop to add that, maybe 2 misthollow and.....?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I have some $ for a new legacy deck. do i go for the better deck and build infect, or should i put together the daretti stax list I've been playing on xmage? it's not great but it keeps your opponent from playing magic at all.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I want to troll the classic with this list.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/miracelves/

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

thoughts on Eldritch Evolution in Elves? In a typical Natural Order build, it seems really, really bad -- but in Chaos Elves, it's another way to find a t2/t3 Teeg, and just as importantly, we can still cast this with Teeg on the board.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Easy, just play mirror gallery, and play 4 Ionas, and some clones. Name every color and just pray they're not running all is dust.

if I can resolve multiple 4-5 drops I'd rather just win off Kiki.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Understanding Gush
only seventeen dollars.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

always be closing posted:

Legacy players have PTO.....lol

I've got PTSD after those last miracles matches.

If legacy is dying, I better finish up infect now while I can still play!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

that's like 2 weeks before I'm hoping to move away from the rear end in a top hat of the east forever, but, I'll probably be there

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I thought Boston was the armpit, and DC was the rear end in a top hat.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

This is a fun pile of cards to play; it seems less high-variance than I imagined it would be.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/elfball-legendslands/

"We're here to play commander, right?"

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I've been messing with a dumb (modern) BUG Elves list that's heavy on 4 drops and uses Eldritch Evolution instead of CoCo because I'm sick of casting CoCo. Master Biomancer feels like a card that ought to be playable somewhere in modern; of course it's very weak to Path, but it survives bolt, and in an elf shell it's not hard to get it out of dismember range.

I also finished legacy and modern infect yesterday, I guess I'm a green player at heart, drat it.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I've played against legacy infect a lot and I think it will be fun to pilot. I'm fine playing the much more goldfishy modern deck, too; if I wanted to interact with my opponent I wouldn't be playing modern.

Your warnings came too late, anyway -- my $700 package from TCG is already on the way :-P

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

speaking of interaction, what's everyone's feeling on the way-too-many-cards Elfball Lands lists floating around? From some minor testing and one event, I think it's probably overall* not as good as either 60-card NO elves or Chaos Elves, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to pilot, and you have so many silver bullets that you at least feel like you have a chance at coming back from board states that would just be scoop in the normal elves decks. I'll probably keep messing with this for the foreseeable future. It's also more consistent than you'd expect an 85 card pile to be, because of the sort of unreasonable number of tutors you have access to (in an Enchantress match I got Ruric Thar out in all 3 games, generally by turn 3).

I think I'm going to throw an Animar into this list, as long as I'm trying to play Commander with a legacy deck may as well be all in.

*meta-dependent

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I mostly like the idea of appearing to be the constructed version of guy who plays 54 cards in his draft deck with 20 lands.

you need to have a bunch of zingers ready. "We're here to play commander, right?" "I've got six natural orders but I'm at 90 cards so I think that's cool?" "I couldn't decide on an archetype so I give you Transformational MiracElves Lands Maverick". Etc.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

yeah probably

gonna need a list for this immediately

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bug-out-elves/
2 SoTP instead of 3 might be a mistake, no mainboard Rec Sage is definitely a mistake. Master Biomancer is hilarious.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

loving love master biomancer. 4of in my elves.

Do you have a list I can look at?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I think this is playable in modern, and I wonder about Legacy elves as well. 4 cmc is a lot but the potential synergy with sylvan library is pretty nuts.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

current mission is to cut elfball lands to 75 cards with 3x eldritch evolution, maindeck taiga, 2x trop, Leovold, Magus of the moon, KoTR, Titania.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

This sounds amazing, do you have a list posted somewhere?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/elfball-legendslands/ is the current 90 card behemoth.

The theory is that EE lets us keep our tutor density as high at 90 cards as it was at 60 with 8 tutors. Having access to Knight and the lands package gives us some good hate which doesn't fold to the typical things people bring in against Elves. I haven't played it enough to be convinced it's good, but it's an incredibly fun deck to pilot, often leading to games where you feel like you've badgered your opponent into playing Commander with you.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 14, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

That's the one I mean, without any wacky splashes. My other options are Elves, Dredge, Miracles or some variety of Show-and-or-Sneak, in addition to any Delver variant. Big dumb Eldrazi sounds like what I'll sling; thanks! :)

75-card elfball lands. That's what I'd be playing if I could make it to the event.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I 4-0'd a 20-person legacy tournament last night with sultai Opposition; I cribbed the list from the Bazaar of Moxen top-16 and made a few meta call changes. I beat infect twice, death and taxes, and UW stoneblade in the final round.

This deck is an absolute blast to pilot. My main point of comparison is Elves, since I've played that the most, and these are both decks which can in theory kill you with a T3 hoof, so they are similar in some ways. This is a lot less explosive, and resilient for almost entirely different reasons.

With Elves I am often in a situation where it's "draw X card and win, or probably just die". Elves has a lot of bullshit that you just don't want to topdeck. Because this deck is entirely cantrips and interaction, there aren't nearly as many feel-bad draws; about the only thing that sucks is drawing a second Opposition when you've already got one you can't play. (Drawing a second in general is fine because then you can just slam the first and not care if it eats a force).

Highlight of the night for me was probably the DnT matchup; they had a green splash, in game 1 they played a T2 Gaddock Teeg out of the main when I had 2 GSZ in hand and drew into a 3rd, so that was an absolute blowout. Game two I believe I got Opposition online pretty quickly, blew up his fire & ice, and then ground out a win over many turns. Game 3 we went to time, on turn 3 I got a 4-for-1 by kicking marsh casualties, and got in for lethal with some margin for error on the final turn of the game.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to troll people with that's reasonably competitive, it seems good. You can pretty convincingly pretend to be Jund, Elves or even Infect depending on what your opener is and what you're trying to bait. 3 different win conditions along with 6 main deck discard spells and 4 abrupt decay is also pretty obnoxious; my favorite keep of the night was G3 on the play against infect: thoughtseize, thoughtseize, cabal therapy, bayou, deathrite shaman, jitte, abrupt decay.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Was this at curio?

you got it. which deck were you? :D

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was playing 4c loam

Ah cool I think I was sitting next to you when you played my buddy, he was the burn deck.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ugh I played the worst two games of magic I've played in years

yeah, played into a couple Eidolons it looked like? It happens, esp if you don't play against burn a whole lot. He's gotten really good with that deck, too; I've tested against him a lot with elves, high tide, infect and opposition. Burn is, like any other even moderately viable legacy deck, a thing that can just loving kill you through disruption if it gets the nuts draw or you stumble at all.

My favorite game ever against him was with 85-card elfball lands; he passionately dislikes commander and I felt like I was forcing him to play it because I spent ~3 turns trying to go off with Titania shenanigans and finally won by locking him out on ~my 12th turn with a resolved Ruric Thar and him at 3 life (while I was under 3 Ensnaring Bridges and had failed been forced to exile my shaman of the pack and most of my DRS to scooze to not just be dead)

Good times.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I bought coldsnap-block packs (1 each of IA, AL, CS) for a chaos draft yesterday at my Tim-Raines-is-legit-leaving-DC-for-good-thank-heavens party. Cracked a force of will. I haven't opened a pack of Alliances since 1997 and after that I probably won't try again.

All-in aggro deck was merely meh, and I went 1-2. Gave no fucks. The last (EDH) game of the night I lost in glorious fashion off my own Doomsday, but I had everything pinned down under static orb for seven straight turns so that's winning afaik.

I will, admittedly, miss the rather exorbitant amount of paper magic I've been able to indulge in here; that's gonna be less of a thing once I move north of the wall and have to deal with blizzards and all that nonsense.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Ahahaha your friends gave you the worst of the past year's precon commander decks :rip:

fight fire with fire. Make it into a boros tokens stax deck; pretend to not understand why this is a problem.

disclaimer: I play disgusting decks.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

has anyone ever found a use for Murmuring Bosk in a (fringe) constructed deck? fetch-on-your-endstep is such a staple of modern, it seems like a fetchable tri-land in Abzan should have a home *somewhere* as a one-of even if it's EtbfT 100% of the time.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Winter Orb is just magical.
:allears:

I won this game, maybe 10 turns later?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

what the gently caress are you playing?

Opposition. So much tilt, so much fun. Practicing for Baltimore. Have gone 4-0 and 2-2 locally in paper. I think 4-0 had a lot to do with being paired against Infect twice, though...

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Is this the same as that 80-card elf deck you were talking about earlier? If not :justpost: a list, I'm curious.

I stole this from a list that top 8'd a Bazaar of Moxen, but have been playing around with it. Currently it is

3 Tropical Island
2 Bayou
3 wooded foothills
4 windswept heath
misty rainforest
verdant catacomb
2 dryad arbor
1 forest
3 gaea's cradle

3 noble hierarch
3 baleful strix
3 elvish visionary
4 coiling oracle
4 deathrite shaman
wirewood symbiote
3 shardless agent
craterhoof behemoth

3 opposition
3 garruk wildspeaker
3 cabal therapy
thoughtseize
sylvan library
4 green sun's zenith
2 Abrupt Decay

board
Umezawa's Jitte
2 Surgical Extraction
Reclamation Sage
Scavenging Ooze
2 Marsh Casualties
Stain the Mind
Dread of Night
2 Winter Orb
2 thoughtseize
abrupt decay
leovold, emissary of trest

I have some thoughts on matchups if anyone is curious, I've played this a few times in paper and a bunch more online. I've also tested against DnT until we were both sick of it and then some because I can take lunch breaks with a thalia.dec player.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 29, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

It's surprisingly good for ~$100. Had a guy run it at FNM a while back but only showed up with 59/60, so he bought a Boon Satyr out of the bulk bin and it ended up doing work.

how do you think it compares to Elves these days as far as viability goes? I don't play much modern at all right now, but might have to get back into it because I just moved somewhere that doesn't have a legacy scene at all. I've got Infect built, too, but I'd rather play elves.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

wtf did i just play against

it felt like someone shuffled pauper affinity with pauper edicts and then entered a legacy queue with it

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 17, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Rogue0071 posted:

Back when you had legacy dailies, you occasionally had people entering with pauper decks. I guess someone decided to keep doing so with leagues.

this was just a queue, not a leauge

it didn't go well for them

i just managed to beat Miracles with Opposition and now I'm too jacked up to sleep

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I've found my niche, and it's bad sultai piles.

edit2: holy gently caress is this list fun to pilot.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Elyv posted:

Every time I think about playing Death's Shadow in Legacy I remember its extremely awkward interaction with enemy Swords to Plowshares and I stop considering it.

snuff out in response, problem solved >.<

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

here's a different version of suicide after a bunch of games against miracles, grixis/4c delver, affinity (lol), UB reanimator. Miracles seems unfavorable but not unwinnable; reanimator was a better matchup with my original list I think.

C-Euro posted:

"Nonblack creature" :eng101:

Maindeck thoughtlace? Too deep? :allears:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Just had an interesting match where g1 I got the nuts, lethal beserked Shadows on turn 4 with disruption left over. G2 was long, they kept me off Death's Shadow (but awkwardly, swordsing it giving me back most of my life) and I was able to grind out a win eventually with a berserked flipped Delver.

Is berserk in general just bad in Delver decks? it seems like a cute way to say "surprise, you thought you had another turn and now you're hosed", but maybe lightning bolt does that well enough and this is more situational. On an Angler it's almost 2 bolts... but I guess PoP is better burn. I am biased, I've loved berserk since 1994. I've realized that in this deck it doubles pretty well as removal, kill your meddling mage, take an extra 2 damage to feed my suicide...

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 25, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that BUG death's shadow deck is an abomination

yup and it's so much loving fun I don't even.
end of game3 from one of my delver matches:

I find that I tend to side out the wraith/reanimate package a lot of the time, so I am not sure I like it. On the other hand, it's fine against decks like Miracles where my life total doesn't matter for the first 2/3rds of the game.

Not suggesting this is good, if I wanted the best delver deck I'd play UR or Grixis. I like winning off berserk. FWIW I've won 7 out of 11 matches in 24 hours with versions of this deck, some of that was in the tournament practice rooms but I think I'm up 80 play points overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Elyv posted:

Have you lost multiple Shadows to a single Swords yet? Am I overestimating the seriousness of that problem?

It hasn't happened yet; if I stick with this nonsense for long enough I'm sure it will eventually.