Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SO DEMANDING posted:

ok we're going to get started here hi everyone how-*boopBEEP* Hi who joined? Hi John we were just getting started. Ok as i was sa-*boopBEEP* Hi who joined? Hello? Who j-oh hi Bob how's it going no it's ok we were just starting. First topi-*boopBEEP* Hi who join-*boopBEEPboopBEEP*-ed? Fred...Jane. Hi. Someone else? Did someone else join? Ok anyway let's just st-*boopBEEP*

*meeting has been going for 23 minutes*

HI THIS IS TED SHITFUCKER I JUST JOINED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

hi the webex isn't working for me, one of 30 people, can we please waste a lot of time attending to my needs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

we got a new conference call system that's based on our extension and if the person hosting the call hasn't opened the line it just tells you that the number you dialed doesn't exist. obviously this has caused all sorts of hilarious issues with people who can't put two and two together

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

new procedure for teleconferences with our overseas office:

they all crowd in a boardroom and call the boardroom we're using

we did this two jobs ago with our southern and mexico offices. this worked fine except if someone was speaking it would turn the speakers off on all the other phones so you could basically hold the call hostage as long as you were making some kind of noise.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I once had an eight hour webex type thing with a lunch break built in, it was held overseas so it started at 3:00 am for me

gently caress this thread fore minding me

decline all meetings before 7am

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

Back in college one day a professor forgot to take off the wireless clip-on mic during the break and we all got to hear him take a piss

same but a hot poo poo up and coming director

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

our conference system uses the host's extension as the call-in. if they haven't started the call it tells you that the conference number doesn't exist. not that it hasn't started, that it does not exist. if you open your call 30 seconds late you can expect to receive a million loving emails titled "WRONG CONFRENCR PIN!?!,!,!!!!," this has been going on for eight months

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

at lastjob there was an entire team that was given sweet rear end headsets. when everyone else put in requests for them they were told that they were too expensive and we would not be pursuing a "headset direction"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

presented i was on a conference call to avoid talking to someone twice today

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

and the timing is incredibly tight, we have to ensure that we can *beedeep TOM SHITFUCKER HAS JOINED THE CALL* or we'll never get a chance with this customer again

can you repeat that

i said if we don't HI ITS TOM SHITFUCKER SORRY I'M LATE

please repeat that again

I SAID *deebeep*

ok I said *beedeep TOM SHITFUCKER HAS JOINED THE CALL*

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

10am real time.

bless u shaggar

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i set up a small conference today for some quick timing updates but it's been forwarded to like 15 additional people and i am not ok with this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

last job we got one of those big fancy interactive white boards and only the summer interns were trained how to use it. years it went completely unused covered in the wrong kind of marker

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

same re: vms but i find it much easier to agree to a bunch of things over the phone and then not do them than in person

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

in a conference call just now starting

already had some random person call in

ah good our line is double booked lmao

pm books hour meetings back to back for individual projects. i call in for mine and hear a dozen people just screaming at each other. hang up cause it sure sounds like mine is canceled. turns out the previous one was as well and the current call is entering its third hour

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

wow

why do you still work there

i left in january

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Iridium posted:

oh poo poo that reminds me

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

holy poo poo lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Podima posted:

shout out to the olds whose webcam feeds show up as a solid bright color because they taped paper over their webcams

lol if u allow ur corpulent mass to be seen thru a webcam

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i used to work with a guy who'd install skype every night to talk to his wife and then uninstall it cause "that's how isis gets in"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

the tom shitfucker meme

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

im the meeting invite from tom shitfucker at 5am

lol this happens all the time

just fyi, Tom, you scheduled your meeting for 5am

yes I know. it was the only time everyone was available

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

11) The company decided to give free soda to everyone. But you could only get three in a day, so they gave everyone free cards for their free soda. Everyone started hoarding soda in their cubes cause 'if they only give me three I'm going to get my three'. So they eventually stopped the 'three a day' and went unlimited, which caused people to go crazy and grab 5-6 at a time to carry. The machines would be filled in the morning (like 4 per floor) and be empty by 10am. The program was cancelled shortly thereafter. Leading to all the hoarders being smug assholes for a bit while they dranks their room temperature diet coke.

ive never heard of this being successful at any company but also who the gently caress drinks three sodas a day

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

Skype for Bae

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

holy loly my last company moved everything to onedrive, completely mandatory. me and like six other people were told to add our stuff to a file and provided a link. i check it and it tells me the destination doesn't exist because that's the message it gives when someone else is editing the file

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

someone put the conference on hold today and some faint hold music could be heard an everyone lost their minds and someone even said they couldn't work like this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

my long term partner works at a non-profit regaarding humans rights issues in central/latin america and indgenous peoples

it kind of shines a light on how much personal value you could get out of a job.

You could also get a lil bit of that out of a company too. Something like less than 50 people big I guess, i dunno. I care about mine but i guess im lucky

this is similar to what my wife does. it can be extremely emotionally traumatic sometimes but she's very happy there and can't see herself leaving

i make like three times as much as her and wish i was dead every moment of every day lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

an email just went out to 100% of our vendors bcc'ed asking them for some info and it's a word file with a goddamn embedded jpg so apparently we intend for them print the goddamn thing out and fill it in by hand jc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

carry on then posted:

i really wish my team lead would stop saying "i'll talk to the rest of the team" when the rest of the team is me

its u lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

10am meeting starting at 1023

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

it was a call + webex. there was several minutes of silence before someone announced that we were waiting on someone id never heard of and they were trying to find him

Mad Wack posted:

are you in this training with me?

seems unlikely

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

~Coxy posted:

this, and also
* slides are set to advance on a timer
* presenter notices the screen is 4 slides ahead
* presenter spends 3 minutes getting back to the slide he was on, but does not disable timed transitions
* presenter notices the screen is 4 slides ahead

*toilet flush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

this isn't about conference calls but at my last job we put an old system into "sunset" and people bitched up a storm about how dumb that term was and what does it even mean so the next round of emails about it stated that we were phasing it out

• Locked thread