Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You need to march on Grimgor before he gets a Waaagh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Afriscipio posted:

I'm so bad at playing Bretonnia. I'm struggling with economy, winning battles and an overall strategy for the campaign. I get about 40 to 50 turns in and I can't keep up with the AI on hard. Any tips?

I've played other factions and just finished a Norsican campaign on hard. I just can't get to grips with the knighty fighty.

At least when I played, the thing was that you had a really nice and defensible position, but really expensive upkeep for your better troops relative to your income. But you also have the Chivalry thing slowly increasing the veterancy of your recruits. So, like, feel free to disband your expensive units and recruit them from scratch when you really need them. That'll make your economy much more manageable. You only really need enough to deal with beastmen wandering stacks.

To win battles I usually go with something like 40-50% cavalry, usually knight errants or knights of the realm. For bigger battles I go with one stack of infantry and one stack of knights. If I'm facing wood elves or something I bring more knights, and also some archers, and less infantry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I'm assuming this is analogous to conquering the badlands as Dwarves or Greenskins.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Given that you can do stuff to impede enemy ritual progress, I imagine there's basically the option of playing a long game where you focus on stopping your opponents from progressing, compared to contesting the race offensively and ignoring the enemy's progress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's not a complete solution but make sure you are aware of the usefulness of ambush stance.

(Seriously suggesting people use ambush stance is like 60% of my posts in this thread, it's a shame the tutorial doesn't teach you how important it is)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lol the CA streamers just got hit by a huge skaven ambush.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fighting the lizards as Skaven is going to be very tricky. Those lizards are tough as hell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Eschatos posted:

I never really got the passion for ambushes yall seem to have. It feels like 9/10 times when I try for ambush, I get detected and then either a normal battle happens or the enemy goes somewhere else.

The point of ambushes is to obtain battles that the AI would rather not fight. You ambush with a strong army to deal with a weaker AI army, and the effect is that either the AI walks into the ambush (great), or the AI otherwise ends its turn within attack range of your army, something it would otherwise never do.

You want to clear away enemy agents that might spot your ambush army. If you do that the enemy will only be rolling to detect your ambush when their army gets close, at which point they'd very likely be out of movement pts to flee.

EDIT: If you are in a situation where the AI will *attack you* normally on detection then you're kinda doing ambushes wrong. Like yeah getting an ambush battle is nice to give you an edge but the bigger point is to force the AI to fight low odds battles against your doomstacks.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The reason why they ditched racial settlement rules for W2 is probably because it's a shitload of special case rules with so many factions and no newbie can really be expected to memorize all of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I probably won't ever build those roads buildings.

Note they work for the region, not the province.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

tarbrush posted:

What's the difference?

The difference is that to get the full effect you need to build one in every single settlement, otherwise you just get the ability to leave a few settlements very quickly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess my question was more like "Who is trading with the murder pirate elves?"

Teens love the goth aesthetic, and the all of their paranormal romance novels. Malekith brand t-shirts might be made in sweatshops, but he's the only one who understands my pain!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 19, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chinese people exist. Today. If you talk to them it's pretty easy to avoid doing anything offensive.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Interesting direction to go with the freelc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mukip posted:

High Elves are going my first campaign and I will not spend influence on recruiting lords and heroes. Their talents will be losing friends and alienating people.

ah, escapism

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Total Warhammer 2: Elves on shelves, wizard lizards, and RATS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The main benefit of pre-ordering WH2 is to get a free piece of DLC for WH1, so, yeah. I'd recommend getting WH1 first.

• Locked thread