Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not confederating or conquering your neighbors and being friends with everyone definitely seems to be the best Empire strategy. I'm at like turn 40, Chaos hasn't begun to show up yet, and I've got Reikland fully upgraded, with access to Demigryff Knights, Reiksguard, Cannons, and Greatswords.

I allied myself with every empire faction which wanted it, and helped them out in each of their wars with their neighbors to make sure they won. I vassaled a couple of factions that were consistently being unruly. The end result is that I've got four or so Empire factions which are all friendly to me and each other, and each of them is doing great. When Archaon rolls up he's going to have a bad time.

I've got three full provinces (Reikland, Middenland, and the Bretonnia one right next to Marienburg), which seems to be enough to unlock all the units and get a really solid economy going, but still leaves me with not a lot of ground to defend.

The only Empire faction I conquered was Middeland, because gently caress you Boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Playing dwarves, I got one of those events which make you choose from two results. The problem was apparently a particularly nasty grudge, which would be hard to fulfill - And the question was whether we should look the other way just this once and forget about that grudge, so that we could focus on the bigger objectives.

The two answers were "Honor the grudge" and "Avenge the slight" or something along those lines - With both options giving identical stat results, and both options deriding the un-dwarven idiot who suggested forgiving a grudge.

Dwarves are cool :black101:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

I really hope Lizardmen aren't horde style.

Considering that they're known mostly for giant pyramids and fat, immobile frogs, I doubt it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Wouldn't fighting Norscans be SUPER frustrating as dwarfs? Especially early game before you get nice artillery?

Which is probably a big reason why he gave them Norscan auxiliaries, including Marauder Horsemen.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kainser posted:

You aren't playing Dwarfs right if you don't use ridiculously elaborate formations imo.

Each clan has it's own ridiculously elaborate formations, which are meticulously recorded in the Book of War. Wars have been fought between dwarf clans when the ownership of particularly elaborate and properly dwarven formations has become disputed.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Those of you who have such a horrible time with the agent game or armies always being out of reach really need to play the map better. It's never been an issue, even as dwarfs, you should be able to keep up with thanes and the freebee runesmith alone. When they nerfed the agents it's even a bigger of a non issue with how often they'll critically fail.

If there wasn't the great power penalty as soon as you were more powerful than your immediate neighbor you'd win.

The "lol l2p scrubs" post is made every time someone complains about agents.

Yes, if you protect yourself properly from agents it's bearable. No, it's still not a fun game mechanic. At best it's just a hassle that adds nothing interesting, at worst it ruins a playthrough.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Do dwarves usually attack you a lot and generally want to fight you as Empire? This is my first Empire game and boy do you have a lot of fronts and enemies as them, but i thought dwarves were supposed to kinda be your buds.

The main Dwarf faction, and most the smaller factions, are really chill. They basically never go behind your back, and if you make a non-aggression pact with them, that's loving it, they will not attack you for the rest of the game no matter what (unless you break the NAP, in which case, they will never not attack you no matter what).

A couple of the smaller Dwarf factions, notably Kharak Norn and Kharak Hirn, are absolute twats and have a tendency to turn hostile at seemingly random while you're preoccupied elsewhere.

Speaking of dwarves: How do I play the Agrund campaign? The starting province kinda sucks, because it's impossible to defend it all with one stack - And one stack is all you can afford, since you have 50% more upkeep. By turn 40 or so, Skarsnik rolls in from the north, usually with four stacks, including a arachnarok. I then die.

I'm on my fourth try, and I just get owned every time at turn 50 or so.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

new phone who dis posted:

Didn't they have lovely skeleton archers at one point or another? Maybe I'm dating myself here.

They did. Back in 5th edition.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's actually not true the 5th ed weapon options were normal hand weapon, spears, halberds, or great weapons.

Oh? Is it possible I'm thinking of 4th edition?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Is that the chaos moon? Because they did that in the very, very stupid End Times series of Unfortunate Events.

That was one of the actually Cool and Good things in the End Times.

They need to just not try to balance Skaven. Give them tons of goblin-tier infantry (but with worse morale), and make everything else they've got absurdly powerful, but with a very, very decent chance of loving their own poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ammanas posted:

So uh in the lore do chaos warriors and forsaken and poo poo not eat food? Cuz who grows crops and stuff for these huge armies if they're destroying everything

The hell is the chaos endgame? Nothingness isn't very chaotic

The chaos gods are all personifications of certain emotions and actions, such as violence and rage for Khorne, and depression and decay for Nurgle, and they all gain more power when mortals act accordingly. They latch unto mortals which do or promote the thing they like, and empower them to do more of the thing they like. They're all inherently self-destructive, and although they are possessed of a sentience which allows them long-term planning to an extent (Khorne might murder less people today in order to murder more tomorrow), they are always compelled to promote the emotions or actions that they represent.

If it doesn't seem like they have a end-game plan, it's because they don't have one. They're single-mindedly focused on creating more of the thing they personify, even if it's self-destructive in the long-term (in a completely dead world there would be no decay and Nurgle would die, for instance). It's a pretty neat piece of backstory imo.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2016

• Locked thread