Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(are there any factions in the Warhammer lore that are migratory? Not pure hordes, but ones that picked up and moved somewhere else at some point).

There are the Dark Elves, who uprooted their castles and turned them into sailing ships. Then there's the Ogres, who are renown for traveling the world as swords-for-hire. But besides those none of the factions are known for moving, settling, then moving again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Speaking of mods, it would be nice if advice-givers mentioned any mods they were using before giving advice (difficulty level is a good idea too). There can be a big difference playing the base campaigns vs campaigns with no enemy agent actions, super powered spells, settlements that can build T4 buildings, occupy any settlements regardless of race, etc etc.

Speaking of speaking of mods, does anyone have a good guide for making them? I've seen a lot of people grumble about the building requirements for units (slayers! :argh:) and I'd like to try to make a mod that removes the requirements but multiplies the cost by however many buildings are needed to unlock them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

peer posted:

I'm happy to see radious' "new units" are as low-effort as ever. Black orcs with halberds! Black orcs with bows! Black orc cavalry! Black orcs with two hand weapons! Black orcs with shields!

Yeah Radious is more concerned with averaging out unit rosters than creating interesting play decision, but I guess there's a case to be made for making sure everyone has the same options.

Admittedly though Black Orcs do need some polish as they're lacking the "Armed to da' Teef" ability to swap between shields, great weapons, and two handweapons.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

I do agree that not-France should really have all of their 2 province zones merged into 3s, it just flows better that way. It's really evident when you play Dwarves over the Empire and you start actually collecting full provinces. It doesn't need to be everywhere, but the system does seem to make more sense when you have a couple extra building slots available per province, otherwise they need to be far more tailored then really necessary.

For instance the Bastonne province just west of Reikland has an armory available, if you ever want to use that you need to eat essentially the only open ended building slot available there, since you'll probably want gates until you clear the entire west, and you'll probably want the metalsmith or clothier for commerce. Now you have to move the barracks to the capital to get the armory recruiting bonus in that province, where if it just had a third town you could throw it there in the free slot.

Yeah there's a lot going on that makes it seem like they'll redraw the initial map at least once considering the extra wiggle room some of these factions require.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zephro posted:

I've never tried a Radious mod so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

And I can't tell you how many times I've seen people bemoaning that in casual surfing, and usually mentioning the mountain goats you saw Dwarves riding on in the Hobbit.

Mazz posted:

My idea for Dwarves getting a cav type unit was to make Rangers that use decently high AP throwing axes and run around as fast or a little faster than Slayers do. They'd lose the shields and most of the armor along the way, but they'd basically be your flanking force if you really wanted one.

Every implementation I've seen on the workshop is just giving them more crossbows and vanguard deployment, like some sort of boring ranged miners.

The Tabletop Rangers are both of these things though.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 8, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

Yeah I read up and saw that, but more crossbows is kinda boring and throwing axes have a unique feel to them as dwarfs, as well as range limitations that make them not just another ranged unit.

I like Crossbows from a fluffy perspective (these guys are rugged survivalists that carry great-axes, shields, throwing axes, hand axes, and crossbows) but I agree that throwing axes are the most unique thing about them.

Another thing that's missing is that Ironbreakers can replace their shields with a brace of "drakefire" pistols. Admittedly pistols were garbage on the tabletop and they're garbage in TW:WH so far, but I hope something's done to make them more effective in future.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kaza42 posted:

For Ironbreakers, there's the issue of when would you ever rather have pistols (no matter how buffed) instead of blasting charges? They don't need more short range anti-charge damage. But I do agree that pistols need buffing, Pistoliers are absolute garbage

The hilarious thing is that the brace of pistols doesn't/wouldn't replace the blasting charges, but the Ironbreaker's shield. I don't even know how you would deal with that much fire coming downrange.

Honestly though my solution to how wimpy pistols feel so far in the game would be to up the inaccuracy and the damage (because I don't know if damage falloff is modeled). Pistoleers might be worthwhile as an intense micro unit if you had to turn off Skirmish and get them close enough to jam their pistols up the opponent's nose for appreciable armor-piercing damage.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fangz posted:

Again, I haven't seen any confirmation of this. Do note that (1) you can set march stance after attacking - indeed at any time - and you will get the bonus 50% move as a proportion of your *maximum* movement points, and (2) on limited moves, the UI simplifies display of enemy moves, IIRC not showing stance changes.

If the AI could do this, my experience playing as greenskins would be very different - waaghs accompanying my main armies would ensure that I can attack at a 50% bonus range to normally, by having the waagh use march stance to attack and pull in my army as reinforcement. I've never seen this happen.

Well then it's poor design instead of "The AI can do something I can't." Being able to swap between No Stance and March feels much the same as "Can Attack during Forced March", which true or not is an apparent advantage the AI has over the player.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you mean by the "odds" of getting a Captain?

I think they mean the random heroes that occasionally pop up for each faction via events. I doubt there's a way to game the odds of which one you receive, but from what I've seen I think you get one of each for free eventually.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kinda disappointed that CA isn't planning on unit abilities, but I totally understand the decision to do so. Hopefully they (or some modder) restores some of the functionality of stuff like Spear Walls or Cavalry Wedges. I've seen people wishing for a visual clue of when your units are "braced" and the like, it'd make sense for your anti-charge units to automatically form up when they stop moving without having to tell them to.

\/Edit\/

Yeah having active abilities would be too much micro, I'm talking about passive behavior. So spearmen would bunch up and visibly brace themselves while waiting around/when they get charged, or cavalry formation would tighten up in the front and spread out in the back when they're about to collide.

And while I'm dreaming, I'm waiting on some mod that makes units keep their basic shape while the first two ranks peel off to engage the enemy. I'm the kinda toddler that wants to play with blocks instead of Play-doh snakes. :downs:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

don't toss in shieldwalls and flaming arrows just because.

Funny you mention that. I know flaming arrows have been a unit ability in Total War since forever, but the only faction that gets them on the tabletop is Bretonnia. And the peasant longbows getting flaming arrows (and deployable stakes) was one of the only ways Brets could deal with regenerating units.

Hopefully those are additions when Bretonnia becomes a full faction, but it's part of what I mean when I say that some of the unit abilities need to come back: you just don't have to actually activate them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kitchner posted:

Chaos Dwarfs probably won't be a thing unless they've confirmed it. They said that every army with an army book will be a faction, and the chaos dwarfs haven't had an army book.

Granted Chaos Dwarfs are more legit and had more army books than Kislev, which looks like a strong contender for DLC.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

Hold the right mouse button down while you drag the arrow, and look at the bar on the far bottom left near the portrait. The green part is movement left, the yellow part is consumed. Congratulations, you just fixed your problem.

Yeah this has been invaluable in my Kislev run, in addition to maxing out the reduce attrition stats. As soon as I had a decent sized army I went on a blitz into nearby Varg territory and cleared out my borders within twenty turns. The Skaeling did eat up the rest after I pushed their poo poo in, and there was a hairy moment when the Skaeling and Chaos were threatening Kraka Drak, but otherwise I've got everything down to a dull roar. I'm in alliance with all the Empire States and most of the Bretonnian duchies, but Leon is conquering the north of the Empire while Mannfred refuses to die. I'm only just now managing to pull some armies together to deal with the Vampires.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fightin' and winnin'. I've noticed Wissenland usually is in a pissing match with the Empire, take an engineer and show Nuln how much better your cannons are by sacking then fifteen times in a row.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kitchner posted:

Might not have been crypt horrors then, its whatever the big monster version of the crypt things are, not the big unit.

I had a steam tank the first time I played them but that died something awful. Surely charging Knights into quarellers with great weapons won't go well for the Knights?

With the exception of the absolute lightest cavalry it's almost always a good idea to charge any unit that lacks Charge Defense and/or Bonus vs Large. The question is how quickly you should pull the cavalry back out of the engagement.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kitchner posted:

Ah right OK, so basically charge them in, do some damage, and then run off even with the monstrous cav?

Maybe I need to try that again next time. I was trying to do that with the steam tank first time around but I felt like it just got battered and died.

Yeah. Regarding Steam Tanks though, even though they have a huge charge bonus they're significantly slower than other cavalry and with only one model they don't cause nearly as much havoc to enemy lines as a wing of Reiksguard or Demigryphs. It's better to use them as hilariously accurate artillery until the lines close, then swing them around the flanks to mulch engaged infantry.

Incidentally, how does the Steam Tank use it's steam gun on top of the ranged attack on the cannons? I know Night Goblin Fanatics use a bound spell.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fans posted:

Wait they're AP?

Holy poo poo, I need to fill my forces with them against Dwarves immediately. My solution to Dwarves is now Orc Boar Boy Big Uns' and a gently caress ton of rocks.

Yeah I think the AI knows this too, Grimgor rolled up to one of my armies with like twelve Rock Lobbas and took my Dwarfs to town. Dwarfs may have a great Artillery game but you do not want to face someone that manages to out-artillery you. Dwarfs are in such tight formation and move so slow that they're perfect for target practice.

E:

Reik posted:

This run I started with Ungrim and after I took silver road I started working on Karag Dorn/Iron Rock/Black Crag. Should I be working on Mount Gunbad and Grom Peak first? I feel like Zhufbar goes for those, but mount gunbad has a lot of +income buildings in it, so I could see that jumpstarting my economy, as well as letting me trade with Zhufbar and Karak Kidrin.

Ignore Grom Peak but the importance of Mount Gunbad cannot be understated for all the reasons you just mentioned.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 13, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Another neat tactics video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTvOsTI88s

Also regarding Kislev and Bear Cavalry: in my opinion there's enough effort put into Kislev already that a unit pack is likely. You'd have to pull from some unorthodox sources like Warmaster and Mordheim but there's enough units to build a decent roster based around skirmishing infantry that can swap between melee and ranged, and some great mobile cavalry, with a magic that outdoes the Lore of Light in terms of battlefield control. And while Bear Cavalry was never officially released you still have packs of war-bears driven by Bear Priests of Ursun that ride bears, which is even more awesome in my opinion.

Still hoping the Norse get fluffed out a little too, replacing the hellsteeds and chariots with the werewulfs, werebears, and huscarls they get in sources where they're independent of Chaos.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

I really, really hope the Border Princes, should they come out, aren't just realigned empire with some different lord buffs. That's such a waste since they could totally be unique with mercs like Carthage was.

I've mentioned it before, but I wouldn't want to play as "Tilea" or "The Border Princes". If I'm adventuring in the southern realms I want to be a Border Prince or some mercenary captain. I want to play as a Dog of War.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

I may try to do something like this, but I'll just use the border princes or Tilea, probably Tilea, as my starting point. I would try the horde thing but we're talking implementing a new faction and making it work with the AI, which sounds about as fun as hitting myself in the dick with a hammer.

Yeah an AI mercenary horde faction would be a pain to manage, especially trying to get it to manage money without tearing down cities. Ideally as a player you would be able to get lots of quests to do things but again that's not much help for the AI.

New subject, but for everyone asking what the "bonus objectives" are, it's in the same menu as the long/short term objectives. You have a number of objectives per chapter, such as ranking X Lords to level Y, building certain unique buildings, or researching a certain number of technologies.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

Given that, I'm pretty interested in making Tilea or TBP work as a merc faction, reactivating the merc recruitment window, etc, it's just not going to be a new faction per-say. I probably also won't change it to a horde faction because I'm not sure I could get it to work fully.

It's easy enough to find pdf scans of the Warhammer books if you wanted to use them for reference (I'd link a copy myself but I'm not 100% sure on :filez: rules). Just to foster discussion here's a rundown of their unit roster:

Lords

Mercenary armies can be lead by Generals (I.E. Captains) or by enterprising Wizards. They can mount warhorses or pegasuses, like generals of the Empire. The Wizards roaming the Southern Realms have access to all the same lores as the Imperial College, mainly because they're college dropouts. In the current game this includes Bright, Fire, Metal, Heavens, and Death lores.

Heroes

Recruitable heroes include Hireling Wizards, Mercenary Captains, and unique to mercenary armies are Paymasters. According to the book every mercenary army must contain a Paymaster, but they cannot be the army's general. Paymasters aren't quite as tough in a fight as Captains and can only unlock warhorses, but are subject to a few special rules:

Paymasters:
  • Are responsible for the salaries of the men and the War Chest.
  • They carry the keys of the warchest with them in battle
  • Paymasters work like the General, making nearby units fight harder and longer
  • If the Paymaster dies, the army panics temporarily. If they don't rout, they fight even harder to get the key back.

Core Units

Pretty standard stuff here including Pikemen in light armor, which work as Spearmen with extra-long spears, and can upgrade to heavy armor. Then there's Crossbowmen, which we all know and love, and then Duelists. Duelists are swordsmen or pistoleers that deploy in a very loose formation, and carry throwing knives to harass enemies. Also part of the core are heavily armored Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry that can vanguard deploy with spears or bows.

Special Units

This is where the interesting stuff is. First off are Ogres, which are proper monstrous infantry. They can't regenerate but they'll actually stick around in a fight, are just as tough and cause fear among enemies that would rather not get eaten. They can upgrade with light armor, great weapons, or dual-wield swords. Then there's Dwarfs, which can be kitted out as every variety of the basic Dwarf Warriors and Quarrelers. This is followed up by Norse Marauders that are similarly basic. The Paymaster's Bodyguard is comprised of heavily armored and stubborn Halberdiers that fight hard to protect their paycheck. Finally there's Halflings, quick little midgets that can move quickly through forested terrain. They come in spear (with shields) units and bow units like basic goblins, but they're more accurate with better morale. Just as flimsy though.

Rare Units

Not much here, the Southern Realms have access to some artillery in the form of Cannons and Halfling Hot-Pots. Mercenaries can't maintain the oversized Great Cannons of the Empire, but have smaller, lighter, and easier to move cannons instead. Halfling Hot-Pots are standard catapults that fling cauldrons of boiling soup instead of rocks. Perfect for cooking enemies in preparation for the Ogres.

Regiments of Renown

A few of these are already in the Empire of Sigmar Mod, but they're mostly associated with Dogs of War and can be cheaply recruited into their armies so I'll include them for completeness' sake. Many of these would work better if Creative Assembly had gone with combining heroes with bodyguards (like Grimgor and his Immortulz) but v:v:v.

Core Regiments:

Pirazzo's Lost Legion: Mixed unit with pikes and crossbows wearing light armor, this one can fire and fight at the same time.
Ricco's Republican Guard: All pikes with heavy armor and boosted Melee Attack.
Leopold's Leopard Company: Pikemen with light armor and immunity to psychology.
Alcatani Fellowship: Cheap as hell pikemen that work for any price, but worse melee attack/defense
Vespero's Vendetta: A half-sized unit of Duelists armed with sword and dagger, with throwing daggers. They're able to use their capes as shields in melee. Vespero himself wears a mask that causes fear and could give any combat hero a run for their money.
Marksmen of Miragliano: Crossbowmen with light armor and boosted accuracy
Al Muktar's Desert Dogs: Light Cavalry from Araby, equipped with swords and shields, with a decent charge and better able to stick in fights.
Braganza's Besiegers: Crossbowmen with a pavise shield and heavy armor that gives a large bonus against ranged missiles and magic.
Voland's Venators: A veteran band of heavy cavalry.

Special Regiments

Beorg Bearstruck & the Bearmen of Urslo: A band of norse marauders lead by a giant were-bear. Beorg himself has a Ward Save while the entire unit has a charge bonus.
Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz: (Hob)Goblin wolf-riders. They're tougher than normal goblins and can double as light ranged and light shock cavalry. Even faster when chasing fleeing enemies.
Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks: Halfling bowmen. Lumpin Croop lets the unit fend off basic infantry.
Golfag's Ogres: Extra tough ogres
Long Drong's Slayer Pirates: Slayer Dwarfs that hand in the axes for a dual-wielding a stupid number of pistols. They even use them in close-combat to pierce armor.
Ruglud's Armored Orcs: Heavily armored Orcs with Crossbows. Has extra leadership and a tiny ward save from people trying to hit and (usually) missing their goblin mascot Maggot.
The Cursed Company: Independent skeleton warriors led by Richter Krueger the Damned. Hates undead, and units killed by Krueger join his regiment. Has resistance to crumbling, Richter has a ward save, and the skeletons wear light armor.

Rare Regiments

Bronzino's Galloper Guns: Horse Artillery. This thing can keep pace with your cavalry and can even run at doubletime.
Birdmen of Catrazza: Flying crossbowmen.
Giants of Albion: A pair of Giants lead by a Lore of Beasts Druid.
Asarnil the Dragonlord: A High Elf riding a dragon.
Tichi Huichi's Raiders: Spear-toting Skinks riding velociraptors. Lizardmen are awesome.

And for the horribly outdated ones:

Eeza Ugezod's Mother Crushers: Black Orcs that are as tough as Da Immortulz
Disciples of the Red Redemption:Khorne cultists with an inquisitorial bent. Flails, shields, and light armor.
Bugman's Dwarf Rangers: Dwarf Rangers led by one of the biggest names in Dwarf fiction.
The Nightmare Legion: Skeletal Men-at-Arms with shields and guisarmes, these guys seek revenge on the petty Tilean nobles that double-crossed them.
Harboth's Orc Archers: Arrer Boyz that can aim at targets instead of just directions.
Skarloc's Wood Elf Archer's: Basically a Wood Elf adventuring party with 5 named characters in different classes and lots of magic items. There's no way to run this one as a Total War unit.
Throg's Hobgoblin Destroyers: Hobgoblins with swords and shields. Not as bulky as orcs or as weedy as Goblins.
Knights of the Cleansing Flame: Dismounted knights that fight with spears. Their captain dishes out magical attacks.
Mengil Manhide's Dark Elf Company: Dark elves that wear manskin cloaks. They carry sword, shield, and repeating crossbows.
Prince Ulther's Imperial Dwarfs: Dwarf Warriors with axe, shield, and pistols.
Bowmen of Oreon: Extra-quick wood-elf archers.
Grom's Goblin Guard: A hand-selected bunch of extra big and nasty Goblins. Actually possess armor with swords and shields.
Knights Templar Of Origo: Well that's what they are. Dismounted knights with frenzy and immunity to psychology.
Harboth's Black Mountain Boyz: Orcs wielding especially nasty spiked clubs called "Dwarf Ticklers"
Mad Mullah Aklan'd's Death Commandos: Arabyan swordsmen led by a mad wizard.
Mudak's Half Orc Mercenaries: Yeah a mob of "Half-Orcs" originally thrown out of Nuln. Not something that can happen these days.
Notlob's Orcish Artillery: Bolt Throwers.
Elwing's Elven Guard Cavalry: Elven shock cavalry.
Lothern City Guard: Elves that swap between swords and spears.
Karnac's Lizardmen Raiders: Skirmishing infantry with two swords and bows.
Flying Gargoyles of Barda: Daemons for Hire.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 15, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Angry Lobster posted:

The Dogs of War and the regiments of renown were amazing, were the Tichi-Huichi Raiders still included in the latest suplement? I loved the models.

Yes, but I was running out of time. I can revise the post with a few more of the 6e regiments and some of the outdated ones for people that are interested when I get some time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

rockopete posted:

Thanks for this. Were there penalties to having opposed races like greenskins and dwarfs in the same army?

There's no mechanical penalties and any regiment of renown can work their way into a Dogs of War army, but there's plenty of restrictions on the other armies hiring certain mercenaries from this list. Bretonnians don't hire any mercenaries, while the rest break down on predictable lines. Dwarfs won't work for Elves or Orcs, Orcs ditto, etc. Interestingly most of the Tileans refuse to work for Skaven, while the Cursed Company refuses to work for any undead faction.

Also, just updated my earlier post with a few more Regiments I dug up or cut for time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Korgan posted:

Are you sure you did? I'm not seeing an edit. :v:

Check again. I am a terrible terrible judge of time :suicide:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Halberds make sense as armor-piercers considering they're a mix of pole-axe, hammer, and spear.

The only thing keeping me from finishing my Dwarf Long Campaign is the Powder-Keg Grudge to get an engineer to level 15. Thankfully my first engineer was already at 10 when it dropped so chain-sacking a few Norscan settlements should do it. Just gotta make sure hell doesn't break loose as the relationships built up during the Chaos invasion deteriorate.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Also I don't think that artillery is a waste in MP, just that it's a waste against VC specifically. I feel like I can use it to good effect against basically any other faction.

I've seen Luminarks used as decent character snipers and they can keep pace with a rushing army. But yeah other than that and maybe mortars/catapults your artillery gets wasted on VC as soon as they close the gap into melee.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

I want to use and love Luminarchs against VC in multi but good god that price tag! 20s firing cooldown is no joke either and it's just so easy for them to flub a few shots and have that 2000g go right down the toilet.

With a cost reduction I could see them being of good use but who really wants to use a Luminarch when you could have Steam Tank for just 200g more or two mortars/cannons with change left over? It's just too hard to justify that expense in my experience.

Well the Luminark has a ton of advantages too. It's tall enough to get an uninterrupted line of fire, it gives a buff to surrounding infantry, it has the speed to keep pace with the firing line, and it just feels right to take with a Light Wizard to up your ability to snipe and control the battlefield.

Overall though the developers are going to have to take another full pass at multiplayer before it becomes genuinely competitive. Everyone talks about army painter but I would love the ability to buy items or ranks on my heroes for gold; both as a nerf against magic casting and a buff to the rest of your army.

Just to put some rough numbers to the idea, you could snag Mannfred for a cool 500, but you have to spend 50 gold per skill point to assign to him. So if you want Fate of Bjuna you'd have to spend an extra 300 gold for a footslogging 800 coin caster. Be ready to drop even more if you want him to compete with dedicated combat lords.

E: Well poo poo, beaten like five different times.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 16, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Grognan posted:

In TT your own wizards could counter enemy magic and it was part of the balance to keep magic from being OP for vamps. Maybe some sort of counter-spell mechanic?

The spell/dispell thing made sense in the tabletop phase because each player took turns in battle and magic was its own set of turns where both players could act and react. Buffs were far more valuable btw because they persisted until the enemy dispelled them. This bit of micromanagement is taken up by the spell durations and cooldown timers.

If I was in charge of design though and was told I had to implement the wizard war more faithfully, I'd go for a "Counterspell" bound ability for all the magic users. Use it on a unit affected by a spell to half the duration of the spell's effect, and/or slap it on your own units to give them a bit of magical resistance. That way the opponent isn't prevented from casting in the first place (which is not fun) while you're able to react to the "gently caress you" direct damage spells (which are also not fun).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bad Moon posted:

The return of the scroll caddy!

I had this mental image of a wizard in shorts next to Franz giving commentary on the enemy wizard, "Ah yes Bjuna, that's a tough one", then I realized that's what a wizard's job is anyway so v:v:v

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Third World Reggin posted:

lol this is going to upset so many people

You kidding? That looks awesome. What's the mod, I'd like to try it for my inevitable Chaos run.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I am unreasonably glad that "Fluffy Von Carstein" has managed to catch on :3:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lame Devil posted:

How do VC defend walls without ranged units?

Grave Guard with Great Weapons can hold walls really well. Meanwhile use your fliers and Black Knights to sally forth and wreck artillery groups.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ilustforponydeath posted:

When I'm besieged and get the option to attack, with the description "fight the enemy at the city walls", why do I get a normal land battle? Are beefy walls just there to look pretty and dissuade small raiding parties?

You get to fight with the city's garrison as a reinforcing army, but yes you don't fight a siege on your own walls unless the enemy attacks you.

This is a great excuse to post my Heroic defense of Kraka Drak against Kholek and a stack of pretty good Chaos troops.

E: Just realized not everyone may know how to load this one onto your computer, first make sure you've checked "view hidden files" under Appearance and Settings on your control panel, then for PC users drop the replay into the following location:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\replays

If you don't see "AppData" it means you've got "show hidden files" turned off.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does the "poor against armor " stat actually mean anything? Goblin archers still seem to wreck anything that doesn't have a shield whether it has armor or not, and dire wolf or hound rear charges still do well against even heavily armored troops.

It means there's units that are better at piercing armor, but any attack deals at least 1 armor piercing damage. Plus, Armor is a measure of how much damage CAN be blocked with every hit, not how much WILL be blocked every time (I'm fuzzy on the math though). Then on top of all that shields represent a flat percent to avoid missiles entirely. So if you notice your hammerers dropping unreasonably quickly from archer fire, it's because they're a bunch of 74 HP units taking 1-11 points of damage from a ton of goblin arrows, while your standard Dwarf Warrior is only 64 health but blocks 30% of all missile fire.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There's a link in the post you've got, but here's a more straightforward table on how armor works. In short, Armor is a measure of damage reduction percentage between half and all of that armor amount, maxing out at an armor stat of 200. Using Hammerers as the example again, their armor value of 95 means they block between 47.5% and 95% of all base damage, with an average of 71.25%.

So for the Goblin Archer comparison, that means that a Hammerer is closer to taking 2-6 damage per hit, or 8-24 damage per gobo archer over a 30 second period (averaging at 16). Compare this to a Dwarf Warrior with only 80 armor, but with a 30% missile block on the shield you're getting an average of... huh, an average of 17.5 per gobbo over the same period. My napkin math might be off...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the bonus damage. Based on the way it's displayed here my personal interpretation is that the bonus is regular damage, not AP. But it doesn't really say specifically one way or the other so who can be sure.

Yeah according to the reddit post bonus damage is added to the base damage. Though because Armor is a % decrease that means the bonus damage is still helping you against that target.

The math on the Goblin Archers was bugging me so I redid it, the "Missle Damage" on a unit card is a measure of a unit's damage total over a period of ten seconds, or (Base Damage + Armor Piercing) * (10 / Reload Time). After factoring in Armor for Dwarf units we get 7-4 damage against Warriors (5 average), 10-5 damage against Warriors with Great Weapons (7 average), and 10-3 damage against Hammerers (6 average). Factoring in HP and assuming perfect accuracy it would take one goblin an average of 126 seconds to kill a Warrior with a shield, 90 seconds to kill one without a shield, and 123 seconds to kill a Hammerer.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, high level Chaos you may as well just ignore corruption completely. Your method of bringing about the End Times lies squarely in beating the southlander's faces in directly.

I'd love to see a mod that split them up into each of the possible Awakened Tribes to make them less of an immediate pain in the rear end. Plus if one manages to gobble up the rest it becomes Chaos Incursion: Round 2.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Regarding Chaos, is anyone trying to spread as much corruption as possible before heading south? Considering most LLs are either sorcerers themselves or MotherFuckin' Kholek your agents aren't as huge force multipliers as they are for other factions. I haven't given a dedicated Chaos run through yet but getting a few wizards to wreck up the shrines to Sigmar doesn't seem like a waste of time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So those crazy Russians have managed to datamine a roadmap to future DLCs and expansions. CA has already claimed this stuff is outdated but lots of interesting info regardless.

Things of note:

Expansion 1 is "The New World" with High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen.

Expansion 2 is "Gods of Chaos"

We see numbered DLC for all the remaining major factions (including Chaos Dwarfs!)

Plus dlc5 looks to be a large DLC pack that includes changes to Beastmen, Bretonnia, and adds Wood Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Welp, I hope it's real. I feel like the New World expansion just makes sense, can't wait to get my hands on Lizardmen.

Also, if they actually add Chaos Dwarfs that'd be rad as gently caress. Hopefully with their big Babylonian (Assyrian?) hats. How would they go about this though? I thought they didn't have an official army book? Also, did anyone ever do a Chaos Dwarf army list writeup in the old thread?

Chaos Dwarfs had near constant unoffical official support. They had their own army book in Fourth Edition, they were kept up to date through to sixth with the Ravening Hordes supplement, and then Forge World created their own 8e army list to go with new models as the Legion of Azgorh. There had been debate as to if the Azgorh supplement was considered legal or if the Ravening Hordes could still be used, but each one has crazy war machines, greenskin slaves, and pretty good magic.

• Locked thread