Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If you guys have any comments/questions on the tier 4 minor mod, I do still lurk the thread once or twice a week.

Paradox just dumped 3 games on me though so I might be a little busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Lances & Bardong

Half the comments I get for the tier 4 mod at this point are people (usually aggressively) asking why the tier 4 have less garrison/income than tier 3 when using Radious or if it works with radious. Both of those things are covered in the description, and I'm pretty sure both are in bold text at this point.

It really pulls in the lowest common denominator of player who think Radious is responsible for the game being good and that CA is completely inept even though most of his overhaul is just vomiting into the tables after awhile.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 28, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ZearothK posted:

The cult of Radious started when Rome 2 came out as a mess and Darth retired from Total War modding, so he made a good mod and since then everyone who second-guesses CA's decisions on principle (but somehow still buys their games) have been treating his mods as a necessary element of their game. Blame Total War Center.

That said, Radious Warhammer blows and he's too deep into his own rear end to realize that; Steel Faith is the superior overhaul mod by far, even if it is not perfect.

Steel faith guy is p. Cool, he asked me some stuff and puts a ton of work into that thing based on how much he's doing it on Steam

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Who the hell are these people giving $10 a month to some random internet modder? Like a one time thing sure but monthly? :wtc:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
drat that new campaign looks good as hell.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Magic as a whole is just a bunch of numbers laid out in a table per spell, or several tables but you get the point. No framework exists for scaling since spells aren't tied to the type or number of models like weapons are. To add modifiers they probably have to set up a variable scale on a per spell basis since each spell has several different variables and you can't really blanket change them and have it work well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just can't get that granular at all in this engine without a lot of work, given that we're 4-5 games deep on Warscape and units still can't hold 2 different melee weapons.

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping that comes in game 2.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 3, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

puberty worked me over posted:

So I could just edit the spell tables to properly scale for the unit size I'm using? I'm guessing they're in the pack files? The "default" balancing was done for was large unit size correct?

Yeah, you could. The best route for that would be grabbing one of the magic mods on Steam, cracking it open in the pack file manager from TWC (its better than the CA tool for table editing on the fly), and see which tables they are modifying since its like 6-7 different ones that have some overlap. Then you can copy the layout into a new mod where you make the changes you want to the vanilla versions of the tables.

It's going to be a bit confusing at first but once you understand the layout/tools modding this game is actually really, really easy assuming you aren't trying to change the campaign map or the startpos.esf variables that control the campaign stuff like starting positions.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
vet also increase missile damage for ranged units, or at least it used to for the dwarves.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

pnutz posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692256583

I've had this mod for a while for skill points (have fun with manfred and his 50+ skills), was looking for another one that regularly gives me 2 points per level or something and yet all of them seem to have some weird limitation like only giving you more points after a certain level or not giving it to heroes and non-legendary lords. is there some actual mechanic preventing them doing this eg an artificial cap on points, or is everyone having a mass stupid attack and feeling they need to 'balance' their 1-line mods?

It's extremely easy to make/edit in the PFM if you wanted to, its just set per level in one big table. They are just doing 2/3/2/3/1/1/1 or whatever, you can just C+P 3 to the whole table and get 3 all game. I do that in little personal mod I used to run because it was way more fun having those dudes running around.

Get the PFM from Total War Center, set it to the TW:W directory, open the .pack file of the skill points mod name you are using. There should be 1 table in there you have to click on, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Change those fields, save the file, and there you go. I'd recommend renaming the .pack so it doesn't get auto updated or reverted by Steam.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

pnutz posted:

I've got the :spergin: so I can understand people getting lovely about the wizards topping out real early with their tiny skill tree, it doesn't mean they have to gimp the melee heroes at the same time :mad:

I'd been meaning to do this for a while to see if I could give pistoliers +2 ap and make them useful versus something that doesn't have their name end in gor

perhaps this would be a suggestion to CA to put it in the research tree instead of "yeay 10% extra damage"

I'm pretty sure that with missile weapons the projectile is what actually has the damage values you need to change, but i might be misremembering. Also AP damage is just guaranteed damage, so if the pistoleers do like 11/0 just change it to 9/2 and they'll do roughly the same total damage to unarmored targets but much more reliable damage per volley to armored.

Also as a side note, there is very little restricting what weapons fire what projectiles. If you were inclined you could make goblin archers shoot other winged goblins in massed fire. In Attila I had a crossbow unit that shot contact grenades and it was about as overpowered as it sounds.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Flakey posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to change in which order mods get loaded?

They are sorted alphabetically, just change the name of the .packs, this will gently caress with steam workshop updates though since it won't recognize the mod anymore.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If you want an overhaul Steel Faith is far better received than Radious, but really the correct way to mod is play the game, figure out what you don't like, and then search out those mods.

If you haven't played vanilla much you have no bearing on what all the mods actually do, which is dumb IMO.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's Norsca. They wouldn't dump a bunch of asset time on a FLC faction before the next game. Bretonnia was free because 75% of it was done already. No different this time.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Zore posted:

Brettonia really wasn't 75% done before the FLC. They added a ton of unique mechanics and models compared to the barebones version available in multi.

Really the only new things where the LLs and chivalry, pretty much everything else was already in the files in some form, which is why the Bretonnia mods that were popular seemed so fleshed out.

So long as the art exists somewhere, the rest of it is extremely straightforward, especially if you, you know, have access to all the dev tools. I could make new Bretonnia horse archer units with the existing assets in like ten minutes with just the PFM.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm actually optimistic for the next 2 games. I'd never read or played Warhammer before this game and it was a pleasant surprise

It helps that TW and Warhammer were made for each other and the CA dev team actually appreciates the craziness.

Like even TW's inability to really have meaningful diplomacy works out perfect here because diplomacy is just a means to stab more elves.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I hope when they do get around to the Empire they do it by fleshing out and buffing all the minors so that the goal of the empire is beat/absorb all of them and get swole as gently caress as they add in things like the Nuln Artillery school, etc. basically the empire wins if it fully combines, and the goal of literally everyone else is to keep that from happening.

I feel that's pretty similar to as it is now, but I'd like the empire faction infighting to be both more unique and rewarding. More global modifiers, RoRs etc

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 19, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hope everyones prepared to wait for mods to update after all the changes coming.

One of the beautiful things about the tier 4 mod on my end is that it's all new assets so I don't have to check against patch changes 99.9% of the time. Can't say that for the big overhauls, and I've always wondered if they really ever take patch changes into consideration or just overwrite them with their modded numbers and call it a day.

The bigger the overhaul, the more concerning. Radious updating his giant mod same day as the patches was a big red flag to me.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 19, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Norsca gets coastal outposts that basically just replenish troops but full settlements on major capitals that give them unique poo poo. Minors just ruins, as normal.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If Steel Faith being a nazi is a strong reason to not use SFO you will probably find you can't use like 75% of all game mods. And if just going on horrible personal opinions probably like a 25% of all consumer products.

I'm not sure that's a great reason to stop using the mod if you like it. Look at Arthmoor in Skyrim, dude clearly sucks but some of his mods are hard to skip.

Just don't support them on Patreon if you don't like them (why would you do this anyway)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 26, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Carcer posted:

Are you trying to hold up the Gategate guy as someone who makes good mods?

Considering he was the primary dude behind the USKP and good mods like Cutting Room Floor yeah. Open cities and gate gate was dumb as poo poo though, no question.

My point is that lovely personal opinions shouldn't red flag mods unless they directly influence the mod. There's not much reason to bundle that poo poo together if you don't have to. This is the internet, everyone sucks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 26, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pendent posted:

My response to that is that the quality of their mods doesn't matter. A really popular mod author can potentially turn around and get a job out of the deal, so support of the mod can directly benefit the actual Nazi. These people need to learn that when they display these digusting beliefs that they will immediately be shunned, not rewarded.

If you care that much, don't use it. If the mod makes the game better to me, I'm going to use it. I'm going to disconnect personal views from products unless they directly support the views. I don't see that in these cases yet but thats me.

This seems like grounds for an even worse derail that we've already had so maybe I should leave it at that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 26, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Aaaaannnnndddddd they did enough to the files to break my tier 4 mod from loading. I didn't buy the pre-order yet so here's hoping I can fix it with just the files and not an actual game!

:suicide:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
FWIW The tier 4 mod is working again if you had a save going with it but they went loving crazy with minor settlements, branching them into a new data folder for Norsca, especially in regards to how buildings are shown in the tree (i.e. high tier poo poo like the Hall of Oaths isn't visible to minors because they stop at 3). Gonna take me a couple days to go over what changed and make sure I don't overlap on poo poo.

It should work with old saves and a new campaign, you just won't get anything new for Norsca yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If anyone was waiting for the update, the tier 4 minors mod supports Norsca in full now.

Also I found out that using DirectX 12 BETA mode in the launcher was causing my game to crash really late in the loading cycle about 50% of the time. Turning it back to Dx11 stopped all of the CTDs. Running a GTX 970, so if you have similar problems I suggest trying that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The large map will have notably less individual regions and minor factions. You definitely won't have things like 12 dark elf/high elf factions to contend with.

Scale wise it will probably be slightly larger but there is a limit to how big you can get before it's just pointless. Most people don't even finish games on the current map.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My bet is with ruins you have occupying forces of weird enemies like dragons and poo poo, and you have to fight them to get whatever loot is inside and only then get to drop a settlement/outpost there. They can randomize this and make the campaign experience more interesting from playthrough to playthrough.

The monster hunts are probably not that far off from the same idea, just more randomized.

It would be extremely cool if they did interesting poo poo with the tactical maps for those areas so the fights felt more unique/different, like having your army split along a bunch of passageways with full FoW.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 14, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RentACop posted:

Here is a helpful redditors slapdash combined map

Anyway I hope you nerds are all wrong and they don't do any downsizing or faction consolidation on the combined campaign. I want Steppe Wolf levels of unplayable

Fair.

Honestly once they flesh out Araby and Tomb Kings the grand map is going to be pretty excellent regardless. Even if they cut a bunch of minors there are still a bunch that need to stick around to keep things flowing, like the major elements of the Empire, Dwarven Keeps, the different Orc LLs, etc.

Even scaled down by like 40% the map is still going to be really interesting.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tell me about it. I wasted two days on it with nothing to show for.

If you mean making a new human faction that functions with horde mechanics, start a little lower. That would require making new superchains for the building tree and working all the way down, along with a lot of other stuff. Nothing about that will be easy without knowing how things work together. Trying making a new building chain first for the empire, since that will cover a lot of that stuff. This is still going to suck immensely but at least you can use existing things to make sense of it all.

I was able to get my own versions of outposts into the game before Wood Elves did it, so you could more properly paint the map without "settle anywhere" rules, and it was pretty loving tedious.

Incorporating a new faction in startpos.esf is going to be a loving nightmare though. Also it will be dead event wise unless you can lua script.

Looking at Cataphs southern realms mod wouldn't be a bad idea, if you want hordes you need to understand how to blend them with beastmen data appropriately.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If anyone was on the fence about using Tier 4 Minor Settlements I'm ~95% sure I'm not a Nazi.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

How big is the game install?

Has anyone found a playthrough of Morathi's campaign?

Their art and animation files are just getting larger and larger so assuming you have everything the grand campaign requires 40gb is not a bad starting point to plan around.

• Locked thread