Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
There was some talk about camera mods and how they can cause crashing, however the in game 'debug camera mode' gives you the same unrestricted camera - and avoids crashes and keeps multiplayer compatibility.

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\scripts

And in preferences.script change the line

default_camera_type # (starts as 1 or 0)

to

default_camera_type 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hmm I kind of wish the AI would still control your extra WWWAAAAGGHH army in battle, it surely would lead to interesting and unorganized battles. Very Orcy I would think.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Triskelli posted:

Kinda disappointed that CA isn't planning on unit abilities, but I totally understand the decision to do so. Hopefully they (or some modder) restores some of the functionality of stuff like Spear Walls or Cavalry Wedges. I've seen people wishing for a visual clue of when your units are "braced" and the like, it'd make sense for your anti-charge units to automatically form up when they stop moving without having to tell them to.

\/Edit\/

Yeah having active abilities would be too much micro, I'm talking about passive behavior. So spearmen would bunch up and visibly brace themselves while waiting around/when they get charged, or cavalry formation would tighten up in the front and spread out in the back when they're about to collide.

And while I'm dreaming, I'm waiting on some mod that makes units keep their basic shape while the first two ranks peel off to engage the enemy. I'm the kinda toddler that wants to play with blocks instead of Play-doh snakes. :downs:

Have you placed units into guard mode? It might not look exactly like you hoped for but it should be close.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone know if any mods exist to have orc WAAAGHH armies be controlled by the AI?

Or happen to know how I could enable this myself?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Chariots tend to be awful in total war games, unless you can constantly keep them moving in which case they will murder everything, if they ever get bogged down in the infantry blob or unmovable horses they are as good as dead.

Looks like they made some changes to how units mass interact with others, probably to adjust for the huge monster units, that really hurt chariots.

In Rome 2 you could cruise your scythe chariots through very heavy infantry and as long you spammed move commands it wouldn't get bogged into the unit. Now chariots get stuck no matter what commands you are given them, only large monster (trolls, crypt horrors, ect.) seem to be able to shove past infantry units reliably. Chariots can blast units over on the charge just like cavalry can but they have to escape during that little window when most units are knocked down. So if they are only useful to cycle charge, why not just use cavalry who can do just the same thing but are more versatile?

Rome 2 chariots were most effective when you could drag the chariot through a huge line of infantry, but in warhammer it appears flipped - they are most effective just charging in and out.

Vargs posted:

Yeah, I've been using a boar chariot lately and if you can micro it properly it's basically the best and most cost-effective unit in the entire game. You can mow down an infinite number of heavy infantry without taking damage, and you do it very quickly. But the amount of attention required is absurd and it's easy to gently caress up.

I bet they're cool in a co-op campaign. Just give control of a chariot to your partner. It's the only unit they'll need.

Interesting, what are you finding the chariot does better than cavalry?

edit: oh yall are talking about single player

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 12, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kitchner posted:

2) Quick match is poo poo and doesn't match you anywhere near quickly enough to be of use.

Confirm your ports are open on your router, quick match will place me into games in < 60 seconds.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Don't use wraiths as infantry to fight other units in brawls. They are spooky ghosts so you must use them in a spooky manner (they are one of the cheapest units causing terror). Engage stuff from the front with skellymans and deploy wraiths to where ever enemy moral is lowest, terror can cause routs at 1/4 moral even for high leadership units. Make sure your skeletons, bats or zombie dogs chase the terror routed unit so they can't recover then move your spooky wraiths over to haunt some new friends. In quick battle I usually include 3-4 wraiths as VC.

I prefer them to cav in because their small unit size allows them to sneak through small gaps into to rear easily. Also they seem to take much less missile damage. Most importantly everyone brings tons of cheep anti large units which savage cav.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 14, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

The seemingly random angles of reinforcement have always kinda annoyed me with TW games. 3 armies laying siege to Karaz-a-Karak, I have a full stack and and the garrison in the city. I sally forth, somehow my second army reinforces behind the enemy army. Bah.

Known bug acknowledged by the devs.

Previous games had the reinforcing armies work properly, who knows what they did this time to jack it up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Olive Branch posted:

Tried playing MP for the first time, I think I got matched with a top player. I took Dwarves, he Orcs, I lost pretty badly. My Quarrellers and Thunderers didn't do jack poo poo and got rear charged by boars. I should have taken chaff dwarves to cover my rear, I am playing Dwarves on SP now and they are so drat slow. Maybe I should play some custom battles before MP.

Can always post your replay of you want some good feedback. Ranged units are much trickier to use vs another human compared to the AI (who will rarely disengage other units to chase off ranged).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gejnor posted:

Imma be a ratbastard here and plug my own mod once more (and a few others!):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876&tscn=1466602924

You want good magic to go with that? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702578633&searchtext=sinjs

You want a side-order of Molays 2nd spell levels only as well? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702711528&searchtext=molay

Do your magic changes to damage, healing ect. adjust for unit size? If not what unit size is recommended?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Was medieval 2 the last TW game where actual model swaps where a thing? I seem to recall any custom units since being either retextures or combinations of parts of different units (helmet swap ect).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Pretty good patch notes, kind of surprised how in touch they seem to be.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yukitsu posted:

Don't know what to say. You can see people getting chronically wrecked by them in quick battles because they can't kill them, even without blobbing them.

Ironically I've found the most effective is to just double(triple, quadruple) down on general sniping their Manfried and necromancer even harder than before. But they are shielded by their horde which makes magic missile hits very unreliable.

The natural idea of AOE or ranged fire vs the blob is not effective because they just heal through it. I tried dancing in and out of combat to try and waste their magic on regen (when they aren't fighting) but wraiths + crypt horrors have good speed so it's difficult to avoid them.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 29, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Hi everybody I was just wondering if there's any reason to buy trolls as chaos thanks peace.

no reason to buy trolls as any faction, their leadership is such dogshit

Normally I would say that if you are playing vs the AI you can bring whatever you want to have a cool army because beating the AI isn't a big deal, however trolls are an exception. Their leadership is so low that they rout so quickly, especially if you play on higher difficulty levels where your units get a negative modifier to leadership.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like in the transfer from tabletop to Total War game leadership is wonky for low leadership units. I believe in tabletop you could suffer penalties for being flanked, but because units fought in regimented blocks it was impossible for a 1v1 fight to outflank each other. However in TW Warhammer if you 1v1 charge trolls into a 90 man infantry unit they become surrounded.

Trolls can smash dudes quite well (as the AI will show) provided they don't rout at the sound of a loud fart, however because they trample over normal infantry they manage to get themselves surrounded easily then freakout and route.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

madmac posted:

I've never had any issues using Trolls even on higher difficulties. Just keep them inside your leadership bubble and buffer them with other infantry so they don't get surrounded and Trolls will fight forever. Trolls are good, man.

Related, there was a cool tourney match last week where one guy won using a mostly Troll/Goblin force. Used the goblins to screen the Trolls charging downhill and routed a huge mass of Black Orcs with em.

Got a link to the replay/youtube of that? Battles where units outside of the generally considered 'op' units are a lot of fun to watch.

With flanks secured (5) and lord aura(3) they still get a max of +8. They also somehow manage to get tired faster than infantry in combat which leads to an early -3.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

boho posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread so apologies if this has already been asked, but does Growth do anything other than generate growth surplus points? Does it somehow factor into taxation?

I'd also like to crank the graphics up if possible (I'm auto detected to the default "High" settings and get a smooth frame rate, probably in the steady 30-40 range). For those of you running on Ultra or whatever has the most bells and whistles, what GPU are you using?

You can get away with majority ultra settings with something like a 970 provided your CPU is beefy (i7 or overclocked i5). If you are looking to upgrade some components, post your whole pc specs so we can give the best suggestions.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Doubled the effect of the vampire healing spell uh oh

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Lone Badger posted:

It appears that the patch has disabled all mods?

In the launcher you can force it to run out of date mods, but they will probably crash your game. Most patches will break mods until the mods are updated.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do we have a group hangout voice chat for people who play multiplayer?

Back in the day we had quite a few playing Napoleon, it's amazing how much faster you can get 2v2 and larger games started with non idiots.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Swedish Horror posted:

I had two armies attack a settlement with an enemy army garrisoned in it. When the battle loaded up, my reinforcing army was going to come behind the enemy army, and their reinforcing army was going to come behind me. Is this working correctly? My second army was behind me on the campaign map.

Nope, not working correctly. The devs have posted how it's a known bug they are working on.

Nothing you can really do now though, maybe quick save before battles and reload and see if it starts them in a new spot?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
As peer suggested I think you intercepted an underway dwarf army (movement underground). If this happens you have the option to engage them, or let them pass. The pre-battle screen on the campaign map will look similar to any other battle (zoom in on the 2 armies, show the strength bay, show all units involved in the battle) but it will specifically say YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO INTERCEPT THIS UNDERWAY ARMY. You can turn down the option to engage these intercepts (same with ambush battles).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do you have an AMD or Nvidia card?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Oh interesting, everywhere else I've seen people post performance losses with Nvidia.

What card exactly?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I just upgarded last week. My old 970 also had DX12 mode available, but the performance difference vs DX11 was hard to tell on that card, it may even have been worse. Also grats on the forthcoming monster!

:( I have a 970 and I was hoping that dx12 would be the promised land of free fps gains.

Oh well, at least now I don't have to bother updating off windows 7.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Interesting to see people decry the orcs as weak in singleplayer, online they are a top faction. Of course online there are no buffs to enemy unit stats like the AI gets on higher difficulties.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

Haha I just had grimgors starting unit of black orcs get routed by 2 AI goblin spearmen units in a head on fight on VH/H. There is definitely something off with greenskins man. The auto calc says I'll lose 50 men in a battle, play it and my units just loving melt.

And I'm not doing stupid poo poo like charging uphill in the face of quarreler + artillery fire to a set unit of iron breakers. I'm talking about 1 on 1 fights with identical units taking casualties beyond the AIs.

Well on those difficulty levels the AI gets substantial bonuses to their morale and all stats and you get debuffs to your morale, so that even elite units will route quickly when surrounded. Hover your mouse over your leadership bar next battle to see all how its effecting you.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys so I talked to a modder about making a desert faction of beastmen for the Orks and Dwarfs to fight and work's already begun. Check it.

what was the actual name for that insane medieval 2 mod? total retardation?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Was there a mini patch that did anything? Looks like I downloaded something for it but I can't find any news.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm taking a break from multiplayer and playing a single player campaign with some mods, including some unit pack mods. Some of the units are cool, some are poo poo so I want to disable the poo poo units. How deep into modding am I looking at here?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Huh, retried the beginning of my VC campaign and when I bring Zhufbar to their last settlement I have no option to subjugate them. Anyone know what the secret is to getting the subjugate option? They have no armies, no other settlements, and they are not the vassal of anyone else. I easily verified it by saving, razing the city and seeing the 'zhufbar faction destroyed' message.

Are you sure they only have 1 last settlement? Review on the diplomacy to make sure they didn't pickup a strange province somewhere. I also think you can only subjugate a faction when their last city is the capital of the province.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Vargs posted:

This is incredibly easy to do. Just open the .pack with pack file manager and delete stuff related to the units you don't want. You should only see entries for the units the mod has added/modified so I'm sure you can figure it out no problem. Honestly, the only thing you'd really need to delete is the row allowing them to be recruited by a specific building.

Make sure you save the mod as a separate file though, and enable that instead of the original. Otherwise the launcher will automatically update and overwrite your changes.

Thanks! You were right, it was incredibly easy. Almost too easy, soon I'll be going down the modding rabbit hole again and end up in Elder Scrolls land where you spend 10x time modding than playing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mr Teatime posted:

How well does this run when compared to Attila? I was able to run Rome 2 with pretty much everything on ultra but I had to knock everything but the essentials down to performance for Attila to manage 30fps when zooming in on a battle. Should I expect another big loss in performance? I don't mind lowering settings and I'm generally happy to hit 30fps but if I have to drop the settings to the point where battles look like something drawn with a crayon I may hold off buying until I build a new desktop. I'm running an 860m/i7-4700, please don't judge me for having a gaming laptop, I work in the middle of the ocean for months at a time so I have no choice.

Seconding the response that this runs better than Rome 2. Never played Attila though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Sounds good, customizing was a neat part of TT so I hope we continue to get closer, including maybe non hero options for units.

I wonder if characters with potions will get an indicator. Otherwise it could be rough to focus fire on a character just to have them heal back up without knowing it's coming.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 25, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Good point, unknown potential to heal back up could be a pretty effective means of discouraging lord sniping. Or just make people double down harder on it, but I'll be hopeful.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Very high stats yes, but not really worth it when you consider cost. Really more of a multiplayer balance change

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I thought they added a new achievement, that when unlocked gave you the Chaos bird lord in multiplayer. But I don't see it anywhere??

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Gonna play a campign as Chaos, never done a hoard before. What are the pro tips I should know?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

For your gratuitous violence needs, Minotaurs charging things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

most proclick video posted yet in this thread

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Plan Z posted:

Are warhounds really a bad pick? I picked two units of them as Chaos during a multiplayer match and my teammate went ballistic on me. I mostly keep them around as a cheap way to chase down routing units as it's really nice to just not have to worry about a routing cavalry or heavy infantry coming back to the field. It's been successful for me so far.

Two for that exact reason are a good pick - chaos low speed and low overall # of units per army makes it hard to spare infantry to run down routers.

However chaos are considered not great in multiplayer so maybe he was just flipping out about that? Either way your fine and your teammate was an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The undocumented changes to magic on the last patch are indeed 200% crazy. They also increased the damage on magic missile type spells. To balance this (:rolleyes:), they decreased the hit chance for close targets.

How they reached the conclusion of - magic missile, not doing enough damage at long range, is anyone's guess.

Hey at least they are going to nerf devolve fast.

• Locked thread