Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's a Smash Bros mod that recolors Ganondorf so he looks like Trump, replacing all his voice clips with Trump sound bites. I used to think it was funny. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's just got this weird air of despair about it. Like everywhere you turn you are confronted with death. Heroes who have already met with it (whose skins you wear). People wrestling with or desperately trying to escape from it. People resolutely refusing to even consider the possibility of it. People coming to terms (or not) with the inevitability of it. It's a game about decay, death, and the end of the world, dressed up in bright cheery colors and a funny costume.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 23, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the Clock itself. The bell is this echoing gloomy chime that is anything but pleasant, and when it starts tolling repeatedly during the final six hours it is downright depressing.

I love how you can hear the clock no matter where you are in the world. If you're in a cave or dungeon, it sounds slightly distorted, and if you're underwater, it's all warbly, but the toll of the bells reaches you no matter where you go. You cannot escape your fate. You cannot hide from time. :tinfoil:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The weird thing about Fi is, from a purely technical standpoint, she's by far the most knowledgeable Adventure Assistant™ in Zelda history. She has multiple tiers of information on basically every enemy, NPC, item, location, boss, and puzzle in the game. It's just that actually getting to this information is such a slog that no one ever sees it. Press the Fi button, watch an animation, wait for Fi to ask what you want, navigate a menu, navigate another menu, maybe possibly learn something helpful narrated to you very slowly. A single use of Fi can pause the action for 15-20 seconds, and feel like even longer. A more intuitive UI with more immediate options, the ability to speed up her text, and an option to turn off her gameplay interruptions so she is seen as more of a helpful assistant than an ever-present nuisance could've really helped her and SS as a whole.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've thought for a while now that it'd be cool to have Zelda games that focused on other pieces of the Triforce and let you play as their respective holders, with tweaked gameplay to match. The Wisdom title would have you play as Zelda and solve physics puzzles with cool magical abilities while defeating enemies with stealth and trickery, and the Power title would be a character-action game made by Platinum where you play as Ganondorf and stylishly kick the poo poo out of your enemies while "solving" dungeons by turning all the doors into rubble. They could even tailor the villains so to show the potential dark side of other Triforce pieces, with kind of a rock-paper-scissors thing going; Zelda would be saving her kingdom from a military coup lead by one of the knights (Wisdom>Courage), and Ganondorf could be liberating his people from deceitful and manipulative Hyrulian Queen who has somehow turned them against him (Power>Wisdom).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want my goddamn 3d Pegasus Boots. :flashfact: :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The only motion controls I feel really worked were Metroid Prime 3 and Trauma Center. And with those the focus wasn't on motion, it was on pointing, which the Wii was actually pretty good at. Skyward Sword wasn't garbage at motion controls, but they weren't amazing.

Metroid Prime 1 was fantastic with motion controls because it let you curve homing shots around obstacles by locking on and then firing at an angle. Nothing more satisfying than stun locking space pirates with the Wave Beam from complete safety while they haplessly shoot their pitiful direct-fire lasers into the indestructible wall you're hiding behind.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I 100% games that have some kind of worthwhile reward for doing so, like the Climax Bangles in Bayonetta. The only game I've ever 100 percent completed for the hell of it was Metroid Prime, and that was more me looking for all the hidden lore and exploring the world than actually consciously trying to 100%.

So yeah, I generally don't 100% Zelda games. I think I fully completed Link's Awakening, though that happened more from boredom and took several years due to it being the only game I could play at my grandparents house. Generally speaking, the only thing Zelda side quests have to offer is Heart Pieces, and I can think of no more underwhelming reward than a fourth of more health I don't need (a fifth in Twilight Princess, which, incidentally, can gently caress right off :argh:).

I saw in an interview that they broke with a lot of Zelda traditions in BotW. I hope endless heart pieces is one of them. Give me something cool to quest for, damnit!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

It can indeed gently caress right off, but I found Majora's Mask the most egregious. I have clinical OCD and am a 100% freak (see my LttP post earlier where I spent two weeks looking for a quarter-heart), and that game had 52 loving heart bits. Seriously?

Someone made a French sequel to LttP that looks really great, and I found out today that it has 32 heart pieces. That's already pushing it, as far as I see it.

I definitely did not get all the heart pieces in MM, but I did get all the masks. Like I said, if the reward is worth it, I'll do it. And the :black101: mask was definitely worth it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd be happy to buy cool-but-unnecessary upgrades with my orbs. Like ice bombs, or enemy-seeking arrows, or sword beams! loving love sword beams. Skyward Sword will always have a place in my heart for bringing sword beams back to Zelda.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Actually, I just thought of another possibility; what if these orbs are replacements for heart pieces? Like you can use them to buy additional heart containers if you want to, but you can also use them to buy more stamina, faster running/climbing, a better bomb-throwing arm, etc. I think a mix of old/new systems would be cool; they could still award you heart containers for beating major storyline bosses, but past that, it's up to you to decide how much health you need to win and what you want your questing to give you.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My playthrough so far in a nutshell, having completed eight shrines and the main quest through Kakariko, Hateno, and finding Zora's Domain:
  • Not realizing the machine parts are needed for upgrading runes, I harvest basically every part I need and then sell them all off to pay for Cool Ninja Clothes.
  • Because drat near everything in the game seems to one-shot me no matter what I'm wearing, I proceed to use Cool Ninja Clothes to sneak around basically every single combat encounter and feel like the world's biggest coward.
It was a gently caress-up, but it's my gently caress-up, so I'll own it, goddamn it. :ninja:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So far, I feel like any lack of enemy variety is made up for by the depth of enemy behavior. They all seem like they have a variety of attack patterns and behaviors based on the weapons they wield and their environments. I tripped out the first time I chased a Lizalfos into the water and it started swimming around and spitting water at me. I actually find them more annoying to fight when they don't have weapons, because I can't figure out how to consistently dodge their tail sweep and tongue attacks.

My primary complaint is lack of custom controls. Come on, Nintendo. It's 2017. Let me move my loving buttons around. :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, today was Operation Map This loving Kingdom. I literally just went in and scoped as many towers as I could with map pins and tried my damnedest to get to each one, avoiding every encounter because, again, weak as gently caress. I like how even the towers are little puzzles, like the one in the desert surrounded by the tar pit, or the one in Hyrule Field protected by Guardian turrets.

Did run into a couple glitches though; one of the shrines failed to spawn the orange sphere that would allow me to complete it, and I spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress before I just reloaded and it was there. Bad Nintendo! :sad:

Also, after exploring the lofty desert peaks, for some reason I seem to have gotten stuck with the "snow" ambience being on at almost all times. The only time it goes away now is when another effect supersedes it, like rain. It's kinda weird to have frosty fog and little white snow particles appearing in an 85 degree jungle. :raise:

Anybody else run into that problem? Playing the Wii U version, btw. It persisted though a reload, so I'm gonna try to cut the game off and see if that helps.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, some people are just short okay? Leave Link alone! :qq:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, I'm kinda at my wits end here. I am at the Akalla Tower, the one surrounded by dark goop. I have killed every Bokoblin on the premises, but I absolutely cannot figure out how I am intended to climb this loving tower. The goop seems to block me at every turn. I thought I had found a way to get rid of the goop when I spotted an eyeball in the bars of the prison, but nope! That just knocks down a beam that lets me get further inside! I have searched high and low, but I cannot figure out what the gently caress I am supposed to do here.

I don't want to know the exact answer, just... some guidance, maybe. For example; am I supposed to make the goop go away, or somehow get around the goop?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Theres a goopy eye you can kill that when t dies will drop a metal bar you can magnesis around as a bridge

Haha, holy poo poo. I knew about that, but I didn't know it was magnetic. I actually ended up solving it by kicking off the half-broken arch and grabbing the other side Prince of Persia style, climbing up and then gliding above the goop.

I love it when puzzles have multiple solutions!

In other news, what began as cowardice has now solidified into a legit playstyle. I am Ninja. My sneaking suit is on 90% of the time and most of my kills are stealth. I watch, I wait, I plan my routes. I don't bother with footpaths; I climb walls and scale sheer cliffs. I can come from anywhere, and you won't know it until my sword is already lodged up your rear end. Game rules. :ninja:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the dialogue in this game is bad, but it would be SO much more tolerable if every line weren't in the worst British accent I have ever heard.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Arrow farming tips? I never seem to have enough.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just bumblefucked my way through the Lost Woods (cool puzzle!) to the Master Sword. :getin:

Now, to get strong enough to pull it. :eng99:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm trying to figure out which divine beast to go for next. Without spoiling exactly what they do, how would you all rank the non-Zora dungeon powers in terms of usefulness?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I'm almost done with Operation Map This loving Kingdom, finally making my way into the Gerudo Highlands with some help from a Fire Rod's ambient heat. Only one problem: where the gently caress is the tower. I can't see it. I've found the blue Lynel, and what I think is the cool lightning dragon's hideout. I'm standing at the highest point in the area and I still don't see a tower. Where did they hide it. :ninja:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mother. Fuckin. Master. Sword. And the last spirit orb I needed just so happened to come with the last piece of Barbarian Armor. You done hosed up, Ganon. :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, I cannot sing loudly enough the praises of the Divine Beasts. I genuinely think they are, both in concept and execution, the best dungeons Nintendo has ever done. I just finished Vah Naboris and it made me think, like genuinely think about its puzzles, approaching from different angles, trying solution after solution until I finally got the one that worked. It's been a long-rear end time since a video game has made me stretch my mind like that, and god drat it felt good. I challenged myself to get every chest in that thing just because I was enjoying it so much, and I was actually kind of sad to leave it for the final time. The Divine Beasts are somehow both dungeons and characters, and they're cool as poo poo. And while Mipha was kind of 'eh,' if the other champions are even a fraction as awesome as Urbosa, I have a lot to look forward to yet.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So what's stopping me from finding the NPC that lets me respec hearts and stamina (wherever the gently caress he is), trading in my two stamina upgrades for two more hearts making 13 hearts, pulling out the master sword, and respeccing back to my 11 hearts and 2 extra stamina?

This is exactly what I did and it's great. Only I actually decided to give myself back three stamina. Three seems to be the magic number for stamina upgrades; there were a LOT of things that +2 stamina was just barely unable to accomplish.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I too would like an answer to this. I was paying attention and I still don't know what that quest was about. I collected three sunshrooms and then he talked about something, I put my tablet on their water drop machine, and then the girl scientist was kinda angry that they weren't charging me a fee. Idfk what the point of any of that was.

I was like, "later nerds," and then ran outside to jump off the mountains and float away.

If you take a picture of something the game identifies, it saves it to the compendium. If you go to the compendium and open the entry, you have the option to tune the Sheikah Sensor to seek that instead of shrines. Useful for ingredient hunting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My new favorite thing to do is wear the Rito headdress and pants to get two levels of Cold Protection and then walk around shirtless in -15F because gently caress the weather.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Holy crap. I just figured out that if you try to throw the Master Sword when you're at full health, you get sword beams. Sword beams. :neckbeard:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just found out you can use the Bomb rune while paragliding. DEATH FROM ABOVE. :supaburn:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Only two complaints so far:

- The Lost Woods are kinda bullshit. The first part is easy but the second part is 100% trial and error with no environmental indicators of where to go as far as I could tell.

It's the wind. They give you a torch and two flames to light it in so you can carry it with you. Watch the way the embers flow and always follow them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the Rito section really feels like an afterthought compared to some of the others. The lead up to the Divine Beast is basically non-existent. You don't rescue the guy or help him do anything or even really have more than one conversation with him before he's all 'prove yourself' and then you complete a really easy challenge and he's like 'alright cool let's go.' The Beast itself isn't actually shown doing anything bad like the others, it just kind of flies around menacingly, and the pre-dungeon fight, the puzzles, and the boss in Medoh were all three the easiest so far (having done Naboris and Ruta before this).

Oh well. At least the power is cool.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It tells you to drop the scale into the water, which opens a shrine. You somehow missed a very important message that appears directly onscreen.

Zora was basically the same and yes very disappointing. Really wish Rito had their own quest like the Yoga Clan you have to do for Garudo. Feels rushed.

The power is indeed baller though!

Zora had a bitching side quest I had to do though. Could just be because I tackled it in the early game though. Basically since I needed Shock Arrows to beat the Divine Beast, they told me to go up the mountain and sneak around the Lynel while picking up 20 of his extra shock arrows that he leaves lying around. So I did that, and I was very sneaky, and I made extra special sure not to aggro him because I had like five heart containers and hadn't found a single fairy and knew instant death when I saw it. It was cool and tense as hell, but I'm guessing if you have shock arrows from somewhere else, you don't have to do it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, you can just buy the arrows. And IMO even that quest was very quick and easy, even if its something, while the Rito literally have NO quests which is even crazier. But both of those are over in a couple minutes compared to the Gerudo quests you have to do, which are far more interesting and involved.

The cool thing is there's tons of side quests everywhere, but it just seemed lame for the main story to resolve itself so instantaneously.

I mean, technically the Rito has a side quest where you fly around and shoot balloons, but you can do it in like 10 seconds and then you're done so ... yeah.

There was also the treacherous trek to the Zora Domain. Since it's always raining, you can't bullshit it quite as much as you might otherwise and are more or less forced to stick to a general path that is lined with tough enemies. Sidonis checks up on you every so often, being a cool dude, and once even warns you about a Moblin sneaking up behind you. I snuck around the Lizalfos, stealth killing them when I could, up until the game introduced the concept of thunderstorms by having lighting strike a metal box I was hiding behind, crispy-frying me to within an inch of my life and alerting every Lizalfos in the area to my presence. I escaped with my life though. And I knocked the Moblin off a bridge. It ruled.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You know what one of my favorite little things about this game is?

Bottles.

You all remember bottles, right? Remember when we used to move heaven and earth and strike down godbeasts at risk of life and limb and our reward was a simple loving glass bottle that someone had lying around? Remember that poo poo?

No more. Bottles are everywhere and infinite. We generate bottles from thin air whenever we make an elixir. When we consume said elixir, the bottle returns to the aether whence it came, forgotten.

We used to break our backs for bottles. Now, the bottles work for us.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is now officially one puzzle in this game I am 100% willing to call bullshit on. Goron Spoilers; I was at my wits end for literally hours trying to figure out how to rescue Yunobo from the Abandoned North Mines. I knew how to fire the cannons, but I could not figure out that you had to aim them by hitting the lever with a weapon, because nobody loving tells you this, and at no other point in the game do you have to do this. The lever is mentioned exactly ONCE by a single NPC near the cannons and it is a line that he will not repeat under any circumstances. He tells you not to touch the lever. And the thing is, I heard what he was saying. I tried to touch the lever. I tried pushing the lever, I tried pulling the lever. I tried Magnesis. I tried Stasis. I detonated bombs next to the lever. I even pulled out Cryonis just because I was completely loving lost and had nothing left to resort to. I went back and spoke to every NPC I could find. Nobody mentions a loving lever. At no other point in this game is there a lever that you have to hit with a weapon in order to operate. So yeah, sorry Nintendo, but that is Bullshit™. At the very least, you should be able to Stasis the lever so at least people realize it's a Thing You Can Hit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Fitting username

Thanks, I picked it myself.

To put it another way: every other switch in the entire game will respond to other forms of being hit. In a game where you have to Do A Violence in order to operate switches, all the other switches accept multiple forms of violence. But not these. These, you have to hit with a weapon. No other force will move it, and that's kinda bullshit. The spirit of the game, generally speaking, seems to be that there are multiple solutions to pretty much every problem. But not here. Here, there is only one answer, and the game doesn't even do you the courtesy of hinting at what that might be. It makes no sense.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I just found and tamed a Giant Horse. :stare: I didn't even know they existed. This game is just full of surprises.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Ishto Soh Shrine - Bravery's Grasp: So I solved this by placing two bombs on opposite corners of the crystal switch, getting as far up into the staircase as that would get me, and then using octo balloons to get more bombs over the wall to keep blasting the switch. I knew in my heart of hearts that was not the intended solution but I didn't care. I beat it. So I decided to look up what the intended solution was. YOU CAN loving PICK UP THE LASER, ARE YOU SERIOUS, WHAT THE HELL. :doh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
DLC is just Rainproof Climbing Gear for $19.99.

(It sells like hotcakes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Playing on Wii U, is anyone else suddenly running into performance issues several hours in? It's only started fairly recently, and it's weirdly specific; when I ragdoll Moblins, the game will hang, sometimes for several seconds. It has yet to cause a full-on freeze but at least one incident was long enough to make me worry. And it only happens with Moblins. Other enemies ragdoll just fine. It's weird. :shrug: