Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Botw stresses me out for some reason, I think it's that I usually quite like linear games, but today I actually had a pretty zen hour of play where I hosed around and found a shrine and finally could get my fifth heart.

Will continue to just try to lean into the zen and not worry about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cartoon Man posted:

Best way to play. But if you want some advice follow the quest prompts to Kakariko village and do the story thing there. Then follow the prompts to Hateno village and complete your sheika slate. After that, have fun and concentrate on activating all the towers. The game will guide you to interesting points by doing that and there’s no wrong order to do anything at all.

This is actually currently where I am! I completed the sheika slate, and then explored a bit outwards and hit both the shrine of greater strength and the shrine of moderate strength, neither of which I could do. That was like a few months ago, but my brother in law convinced me to try again. My zen time today took me away from there to go discover another tower. So I'll keep doing that :patriot:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I loved Metroid Prime 3's Wii controls.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

the only form of fast travel I'll accept

drat Wind Waker is so good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Got dangit link, you lost your hookshot again? You'd better find it before sundown or I'm gonna whoop your rear end!

That boy ain't right.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I am princess Zelda, queen of Hyrule, keeper of the secrets of the Metroids, heir to the one and true excitebike, the divine goombess.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Yet another reason why Wind Waker link is best link. Obviously, he's a pirate. And pirates can't be cops, unless it's like a military police type thing which let's be honest would be loving cool.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Dr. Tingle & the Multiverse of Sadness

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Elden Ring FINALLY got me in the right mindset for BOTW and now I can't choose which one to play but one of them sure is more forgiving / lets me eat a giant steak in the middle of battle :shepface:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Botw question - can anyone give me a hint on where I might find some more interesting armor? Other than the starting armor, all I've got is the heavy knight armor I bought from a town, is there any groovy light armor around anywhere? Just a hint.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

You guys rule, thanks! I'm so happy I finally got my head screwed on right for this game.

Not sure how I missed the stealth armor at kakariko village.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I killed a Hinox on a land bridge tonight and it ruled :2bong:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Path of Exile is interesting in character creation in that your class determines your starting location on the giant gently caress off skill tree, and each classes' ascendency choices allow them to take advantage or specialize in various mechanics - but you do absolutely have novel builds resulting in weird combinations you wouldn't normally think of.

Anyway breath of the wild is very good, I found another shrine last night but had to hit the hay before the end of it. Not sure what to do with these Hinox teeth. I threw a couple random monster parts into a cooking pot a few days ago but just got a lovely elixir that gave a small stealth buff and no health :discourse:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Golux posted:

Short form is that for elixirs, the monster parts are bonuses to duration only. "critters" (bugs and lizards and stuff) determine the strength of the buff the elixir gives, but don't give HP (except fairies, and I'm not sure how they combine with other things). Food ingredients (vegetables, mushrooms, meat and poultry, fish, fruit, shellfish, etc) recover HP and most of them also give buffs, but food generally gives buffs for shorter durations. You can make elixirs that give longer duration buffs but also heal HP by adding food components, but it still needs at least one critter and one monster part to make an elixir - adding monster parts to food just makes dubious food. There are also seasonings like salt and nuts and goron spice that add to the HP recovered by foods but don't do much of anything on their own.

Honestly for most purposes I had more fun just combining food ingredients into different fun dishes with an eye for what kind of buff they would give, though it can be worth making some long-duration elixirs for cold and hot weather adaptation for extended exploration (and lategame if you want to just kill a bunch of minibosses in a row, long-duration attack or defense elixirs can be useful). Though apparently the best non-dragon-ingredient spicy and chilly elixirs are barely better than just mushroom skewers made from tons of sunshrooms/chillshrooms so whatever.

This post rules, thank you!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Wanna see old man link take on a very young Ganon.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Got an OLED switch, wandered up some desert mountains to get the wasteland watchtower and got my first glimpse of a divine beast. :hellyeah:

Still a good game y'all.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I don't expect any graphical enhancements to be honest, although it looks like clouds are getting a pass*. I imagine things would blur out when you're in the sky.

*Having sky islands way high up and using clouds to obscure some of the land below may be an interesting system to give them more juice to work with.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

The Switch Pro is still just rumor territory right? Every time I Google it, it appears to be all supposition and I haven’t seen any concrete facts regarding it.

The switch pro is the spring wind in our hair, the dew of a new morning laying upon a daffodil, the promise of a garden rising from the brown dirt.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Breath of the Wild trip report:

I did the Shrine quest on Lanaryu Mountain essentially by accident and it was one of the most magical moments in the game so far. Great music too, which I have to say is unfortunate one of this games weaknesses, as I don't mind the ambient stuff but I do think it might be interesting to have more songy-songs on during the day or something. The music in the lost woods was also perfect. Which, speaking of, I also got to the deku tree last night and pulled myself up a cool looking sword :amen:

I think I'll buy Skyward Sword this fall. It has a cool score doesn't it? I never played it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Be forewarned the game was designed around wii mote motion controls. It’s emulated decently with separated joycons, but if you chose analog stick controls, it’s quite a thing. I hated it’s motion controls back on the Wii and I couldn’t get into them again on the Switch. But don’t let my opinion sway you, others will probably come on here and say it controls perfectly , works fine, and the problem is me. Honestly, I wouldn’t disagree with that opinion either.

As a Zelda game doing Zelda things, it’s amazing though.

Yeah, I was reading about this. I reckon I'll do docked mode and see what it's like with joy cons. I guess that lets you manipulate the camera easier too? I honestly enjoyed weird waggle poo poo in twilight princess back at the Wii launch so I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Wind Waker was my first real Zelda. That's so cool.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Akkala is so pretty... Tower was annoying as hell though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

It's extremely amusing to imagine Link carrying around all of the absolute random materials I've collected over the past 20+ hours of BoTW. Apples and lizards all crawling over Hinox toenails :barf:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I just tried to fight one of these dudes for the first time yesterday! It didn't go well! Thought me with my 12 hearts and a master sword would be sitting pretty but nooooo siree.. I couldn't even get off a lightning fury attack thing.

I did, however, work on my guardian Parry and took out some rear end in a top hat Guardian spider bros :coal:

Akkala region is a land of contrasts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

If the Lynel has a sword and shield, you need to back flip over the attack three times in a row to get the flurry strike. The spear Lynel or the mace Lynel are a bit different and more tricky.

https://youtu.be/CiSwOkat_Uw

Gonna add these disgusting guts to my collection :cheers:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Making yourself some nice attack-boosting food helps too, if you haven't got any of the attack-boosting armour yet.

I've got an unupgraded barbarian armor but I do have a bunch of meals with plus attack.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Mods please change my name to Lionel Weapons

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m still not convinced that “The sequel to Breath of the Wild” isn’t going to pull a fake out and let you play as Zelda and hot swap as Link whenever you want.

I had a daydream about this and it was a pretty good 20 minutes.

In my daydream they were actually always together, and whoever you weren't controlling was either a) played by an AI, or b) played by another human ala Journey

They had cool skill interactions and coordinations and it was extremely neat.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I would also settle for a Zelda and Midna game :colbert:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Just put Zelda in a giant slow indestructible suit of armor like when she was playable in Spirit Tracks, bam, gameplay problem solved

Huh, my Zelda x Bobbie Draper fanfic just got quite the boost.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Okay now we need her to fight a naked link with a pot on his head.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

So eventide island was pretty cool and fun. I did cheese the Hinox with Urbosa's fury. Sorry big guy, I have no honor.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

This video is a real :eyepop:

Just wild and impressive.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wind Waker just has such a bangin’ soundtrack, Dragon Roost Island handily beats BOTW Hyrule Castle as my favorite track of the franchise

Same. I actually had Dragon Roost stuck in my head just earlier this week. gently caress it's so good!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

The thought of them spending 6 years on BOTW2 has been both frustrating, in that I want it Right Now, and tantalizing, in that I can't even imagine what they're going to do with it and it's going to be so good.

What if I told you that the only thing they've been working on is stronger and more terrifying expressions for Link to have as he interacts with more and more great fairies and they get up in his personal space.

One of the dungeons is a Jonah and the Whale style "help I'm inside a great fairy because she ate me!" Dungeon.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Eastward could've been really something with 3x less dialogue

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Weirdly, playing 20 hours of Elden Ring helped me get into BOTW more so than any other Zelda. I had bounced off really hard before.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I bought Skyward Sword but it's sitting around, I'm looking forward to it as a glorious autumn game :shobon:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The "gaming community" was simultaneously worse and better in the GameCube WW days than it is today, imo. A kind of superposition of shittiness and innocent naivety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Zelda is loving good