Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ocrassus posted:

Jokes often have a grain (or an entire beaches worth) of truth to them.

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick. Brits, particularly the media and politicians, love to gush at the thought that America treats us with a special reverence and respect it reserves only for us. Looking at it from your side though must be a bit different because in school you're taught about how you told us to gently caress off back across the Atlantic (conspicuously absent in our curriculum). You must think it's so adorable that we are perpetually in a state of 'Senpai loves me the most'.

As long as you can keep providing American's with entertainment like Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Graham Norton, Adele, and the Royal Family you'll be held with some regard. Most American's get a sense that England is a faded empire but have no understanding of chavs, council housing, etc. They know there's more to England than London and a bunch of old castles but you don't hear about it. To be honest, English press doesn't give a better impression either unless there's some human fuckup interest story in the Daily Mail.

The world was watching this EU referendum and asking "what the gently caress are you doing?" Now you've woken up from your tantrum and are asking yourselves, 'what the gently caress have we done?' Unless you're a red state right winger, it really, really looks dumb and that's coming from a country that knows how crazy the gun/transgender bathroom laws/8 years of George Bush are.

The best thing to do now is own it hard. Stick to the idea that the EU is an unfixable mess and that you're tired of bailing out irresponsible economies.

As for the Special Relationship, it won't change but it might not have the same importance. England is our gateway to Europe. It's that place in the old world where you can understand the language people are speaking (somewhat). The bedrock of our culture comes from the English. Most importantly, Americans see themselves as the saviors of Europe in two world wars and there's a lot of smug satisfaction in that. The US and England (and those other people) beat back the Nazis and the Commies.

If Scotland and N. Ireland leave then England's power wanes even further and the special relationship will turn to quaint relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lichy posted:

chavs are the best IMO

it's like a slightly more pleasant version of my motherlands familiar gopnik

True. At least they don't do that perpetual squatting thing.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did we even have a "special relationship" with Britain before this mess? It seems our view of Brits as Americans were just quaint, old, uppity dudes except with fancy attractive accents and lots of tea.

Of course right now England is generally seen as the Destroyer of Civilization so most of that silly goodwill is trashed

The special relationship stopped as soon as that KENYAN Pres. Obama put Churchill's bust in storage.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This is timely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/07/01/naked-don-a-cambridge-academics-protest-against-brexit/

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Roylicious posted:

Goddamn British

"Let's just politely ignore this chaps and stiff upper lip through this meeting shall we?"

e: lol forever at the UK

Lollipop Lady sounded exciting and dirty but it seems like it's just a school crossing guard.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It's the elephant in the room and I can't stand it any longer. What the gently caress is up with Boris Johnson's hair? Is he so austerity that he can't afford a comb? Has no one ever pulled him aside and told him about pomade?

It's like Trump overly preened his hair and Boris took the exact opposite approach.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

As a non-UK citizen, is this plausible? "I've done my job, time to move on". Or is it true that the situation is so hosed up that principal parties involved do feel like they must step down or lose leadership votes?

It's telling that the people who wanted to the Brexit don't want to influence the method of how it's done.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 4, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Populist leaders are incapable of governing. They can only exist to criticize and destroy.

He's just smart enough to realize that it's all going downhill for him since he's out of things to destroy and now he has to build something instead (which he can't).

Just watch it it will be the same gig with Trump.

Good point.

Lichy posted:

would you have personally sacrificed your career on the altar of popular will if given the choice or would you have retired quietly and worked as a consultant with a much less tarnished reputation

This move would indicate there's not much of a career left anyway so it's more of a face saving measure.

I don't know. in spite of what SGF said, you'd think those starting the revolution would want to participate in its implementation.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 4, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

You should email them and tell them about it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

TheIllestVillain posted:

why are the standing like that

also

Are all British politicians as compliant when told to pose. Unless another close up angle was used, that looks ridiculous.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Texit: good luck with that. The bloodiest war the US ever fought was against itself. Once you're in you're in and there's no getting out.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Hmm, yes, this seems like a normal and dignified thing for a head of state to do

Why does the queen carry a handbag? I thought royalty never carried around money or anything else. They have people that do it for them. Seriously, this woman has everything she needs at her beck and call and someone get to for her, what the hell?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Zahgaegun posted:

Yeah, you go tell a literal Queen she's doing it wrong.

It isn't a question if right or wrong just why? Is there even anything in it? I bet it's empty.

Unless I've been misinformed that royalty don't actually carry money.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It was. It was about state's rights to deny others of their rights.

It's still going on, but in state legislatures and federal appeals courts instead of battlefields.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Haha well considering half the poo poo Diana got away with, is anyone surprised?

Why couldn't Charles marry Camilla in the first place?

Didn't some tabloid try to surreptitiously get some of Harry's dna and get a paternity test? Whatever happened with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

:golfclap:

• Locked thread