Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

spud posted:

And I thought the UK was an irrelevance.

BOOM! :boom:

"haha you lovely inbred island retards aren't relevant anymore, you need to stay in the EU because you're insignificant otherwise"

*brexit*

*earth's economy implodes*

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lmao at people now trying to pretend that the EU is good and works and that the eurozone isn't a raging dumpster fire

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

lmao at the fact that we´re headed for a fascist west by the centenary of fascism

fascism happens when all the alternatives to look worse than shaving your head and going around beating the poo poo out of people for poorly explained reasons

when you realize that fascism is winning you don't go around telling people that fascism is bad. everyone knows that fascism is bad. it's loving retarded and nobody ever actually thought it was a good idea. you look inward and go "wait what the gently caress are we doing wrong that everyone wants to go do that poo poo instead of listening to us?"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

being a fascist doesn't actually mean you have to shave your head that was just a trend among a certain subset in the 80's and 90's

show me a picture of a fascist who had long hair

the absolute most they ever get away with is a crew cut

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

spud posted:

Just accept the result mate. If you think some spastic retard murdering a mother swayed the vote that much, then maybe take a break from the internet.

it's stupid because the cox murder markedly swung the polls away from leave

they were going to win before she died and they still won afterwards

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hammerite posted:

lol there is a thread about this in dnd and the first two pages is all people saying "if there was a general election and labour got in somehow they could ignore this right? that's a fine way for democracy to work surely"

whenever democracy happens the radicals on the losing side bitching about how democracy sucks

in this instance it's people in dnd bitching about how it's old white people's faults

if remain had won it'd be /pol/ bitching about how it was the immigrant's faults

it boils down to people saying that certain segments of the population should be denied suffrage for not agreeing with them, and it's always stupid and it always happens and if you look at the specific people who end up bitching about it always ends up being the best argument for the merits of democracy because holy gently caress, if we had a dictator it could be one of those guys

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cuck cuck im gay posted:

So basically a toxx clause? lol

I am assuming if he wants to stay he can without resigning? That makes a bit more sense.

if he wanted to stay he could potentially but his tenure is already an enormous disaster and I think he just wants to escape before scotland does so that doesn't go on his record next to pigfucker and EUfucker

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phlairdon posted:

Hey, don't hate on Carter, he had cancer :mad:

so did nigel farage

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Reverse image search isn't working here. where did this come from? I wanna know whats being said :(

"WHAT"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

says the liberal of no conviction or action ever in his life from his inherited middle class room while actual leftists successfully agitate for change the world over.

leftists agitate for change then totally lose control of what exactly the change will be and after it turns out to be something they didn't want they make passive aggressive posts about it on twitter

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Decebal posted:

This was in 2010. Why did she pretend it was different last year ??

because she's a politician and one of the specific breed of politician that lacks any kind of actual ideology but really, really wants to be the leader

she said that because she thought it was what people wanted to hear and whatever she's saying now is whatever she thinks people want to hear, and she hopes that nobody will actually remember or care that it's not the same thing she said before

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

rezatahs posted:

wow that sounds like just like some other prominent politician over here in murika

you find them everywhere and counterintuitively this new era of everything everyone says being recorded and permanently available for review seems to doing really well for them

I guess it's because in this era everyone will eventually be caught saying something stupid or contradicting things they said earlier and while other politicians will rationalize or attempt to explain what they said, and sound stupid doing it, this kind instead just steadfastly pretends that they never said it and totally ignores and refuses to engage any attempt to call them out on it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's hilarious that people are going to leavers and saying i told you so about the economy when it's abundantly clear that none of them gave a poo poo about it at all and the leave campaign's bit on the economy boiled down "it'll probably be fine, who cares"

like they're still going to be banging on about "no look at these stock prices and the currency exchange, don't you feel bad" even when Nigel Farage's first act as PM is to defund the NHS and use the money to erect a giant billboard saying "gently caress you" in all the EU languages and point it at brussels

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Turkeybro posted:

gibraltar voted like 90% towards staying so will they get to hold a referendum to join spain now

they voted like that because they didn't want to have to join spain

now the brexit is nigh and spain is hungrily eyeing them

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

when 100% of the media

I was watching the BBC and like half the night was spent with them bringing a Remainer on and saying "Well how do you feel about the fact that we're leaving" and the remainer spending their whole time saying "Well, it's not a done deal yet, we don't KNOW that we're leaving, there are still some votes to be counted" even as every declaration threw more and more onto Leave's fat lead and you could see in the background of every shot of a BBC correspondent at a Remain HQ that they were the only person still there, reporting on a ghost town as everyone had already gone home to commit suicide

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bardeh posted:

OK so what do I invest in to try and claw back some of what I've lost in the pound tanking. GBS seems like a good place to take financial advice, please don't give me troll suggestions.

bitcoin

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

the only good thing of this vote is cameron stepping down... kind of a steep price, though

the debate on the worst PM of all time is officially ended

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

If he gets replaced with Boris the Retard is it really an improvement?

at least boris never hosed a pig, that we know of

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

Boy, leftists sure are good at coming up with solutions that unite the common people from nailing their own dicks to the floor.

Maybe the central error in the leftist conceit is having too much faith in humanity.

even when they're right leftists are usually too busy smugly jerking themselves off and calling everyone else stupid for not agreeing with them to actually convince people that they are right

then, oops, democracy happens and people vote against the smug douchebags

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Clinton loss gives a real chance to kick centrists and neoliberals lit of the party and woild be embarassing but entirely good if trump was elected. It's truly preferable.

lol if they kick the centrists out they're gonna end up in political party hell with the whigs and the available parties next election will be Centrists and Trump Dynasty

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

i get why hillary is bad and why she'd be bad for america, but i refuse to vote for trump

it's too late to have a good president, vote for trump because he's funnier

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I can't wait for comments like "lol I thought it was just a joke" after Trump gets voted in.

look at this point you're looking at either a slow slide into ruin and death or a wacky rollercoaster thrillride into armageddon

it's your solemn duty to pick the one that will be better TV

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

crabcakes66 posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of BernieBro Trumpeters are just angry childish dudes who didn't get their way and now want to watch the world burn.

honestly I totally understand what they're doing, because hillary is terrible and will be a terrible president, and the bernouts have spent the primaries mostly going against her while trump was just a loud orange blob off in the distance

so now that that's over I imagine some of them are finding hillary hard to stomach(as they should, because she's really really bad) and are going to trump because he is literally the only other option

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

the thing i still cant wrap my head around about all this is that, essentially, one person did this.

actually it was like 17 million people

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

well of course but what i mean was that there didnt seem to be any major public demand for the referendum at the time it was announced but rather that cameron announced it then entirely for his own political reasons

Leave sentiment was growing and there were a few people agitating for a referendum. I think Cameron could have easily put it off without facing any sort of public backlash, but decided that he would call it quickly in the hopes that Leave wouldn't have built up enough steam, the referendum would fail, and everyone would shut up about it. He was probably thinking that, with the trend showing support growing, and his term stretching out ahead of him, that he'd have to hold one eventually, and the sooner it happened the less likely it would be to win.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's funny to think of cameron ascending to the vaunted status of World Leader, blissfully ignorant of the fact that one day the highlights of his reign would be marked down in the history books as "hosed Pig. Destroyed Europe."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bishop posted:

Everyone likes to make fun of Americas electoral system, but we can't gently caress up this badly with a simple majority vote.

honestly as stupid as this currently looks considering the financial nosedive currently occurring, I don't think this is actually all that stupid

for the simple reason that the EU loving sucks, the eurozone is self-destructing and the EU is becoming increasingly controlling in order to try to save itself

obviously the economy is going to tank, anyone who said that it wasn't is stupid, but the economy was going to tank anyway and I think extricating themselves before the EU fully imploded is probably going to eventually be a positive thing

I mean the Brits aren't part of the Eurozone so maybe they could have just ridden out the EU collapse and emerged on the other side okay but it's not like they've actually given up a good thing here, the EU loving blows and concerns over sovereignty were becoming less and less stupid, especially after what happened to poor old greece

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

That form of sweet swiss independence, where you still follow pretty much whatever the EU says, without having a vote in their decision making?

you're assuming the EU is a thing that is going to continue to exist

other countries are now pushing for exit referendums. If the EU tries to really crack down on Britain for trying to leave they show themselves as exactly the kind of union you don't want to be a part of, and if they don't and a bunch of other countries vote to leave the EU will slowly deflate and die

the only real hope for the EU right now is that they give the Brits a fair deal and then really commit to reforming, and then other countries that hold leave votes don't pass them. then it could survive.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

I don't think the EU is trying to "really crack down" on switerland, neither. At least I wouldn't welcome that.
It's just a side effect of most of your trade partners being part of a Union which you yourself aren't part of.

No, a Norway or a Switzerland type deal wouldn't be cracking down. I mean if they give Britain the same kind of deal they gave the other countries that wanted to be in the EFTA without being in the EU, that'd be okay.

Obviously that entails certain regulations that British companies end up having to follow because otherwise the EU markets won't take them, but at the end of the day I think the EU is in deep poo poo, especially now, and the only way to save themselves is to really commit to reform, and to fixing the problems that caused heavy anti-EU sentiment in Britain and other countries.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Yeah, that's the type of deal I'd see in the future. Are there really any "BURN BRITAIN TO THE GROUND"-voices?

There were certainly people on the Remain side who said that leaving would result in the EU going full scorched earth on Britain, and I think there may have been one or two comments before the referendum that could have been loosely interpreted as threatening, but for the most part since the hammer came down they seem more concerned with preventing damage to their economies than with punishing britain, and preventing damage mostly involves keeping things as similar as possible

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Britain shouldn't really hold the "exit referendums are a sign of collapse"-thing too high. At least not high enough for Scotland and Northern Ireland to see.

I don't think they're holding that sign high, I think that's the literal truth.

When you have large parts of the populations, and potentially voting majorities of them, in your member countries clamoring to leave the union, the union is not doing well. I mean sure there's always going to be malcontents, but in this instance it was more than half of Britain and could very well be more than half of the Netherlands, who are likely to hold one soon as well.

They don't like the EU and they don't feel that they're represented in it, and so far the response from the EU has been smug and dismissive.

The Brits leaving could be the kick in the rear end that the EU needs to finally fix its poo poo, or it could be the kick in the rear end that knocks it over.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I think the point that poster was making is, following this same logic if Britian's vote on the referendum results in a new vote for independence in Scotland (which according to their PM seems very likely) then what does that say about the UK as a union?

fair enough, this referendum does further play into the Scots feeling that the UK doesn't represent them in the same way that the EU didn't represent the UK

Not sure if the Scots would really vote to leave but it's certainly their prerogative to do so and it's certainly fair for them to call for another referendum after this since it's such a big decision and it's clear that the majority of scotland didn't get what they wanted out of it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

Any move that gives power to UKIP, Nigel Farage and far right parties across Europe is loving stupid

countries in the EU are already showing large numbers for far right parties because far right parties loving hate the EU and say that they do, and so do a lot of the people

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

thats the biggest problem with the EU. its a top heavy, appointed bureaucracy so it doesn't have any mechanisms built in for popular reform

yes and that's why it got like this and why reform is unlikely even if it's the only way for it to live

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hemophilia posted:

I think russia wants the entire Ukraine dude

nah the western bits are kinda lovely and make for a decent buffer against NATO, they just want the good bits

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Brannock posted:

I was going through a catalog of tweets and anecdotes about UK racism that's been exploding since the vote a few days ago and it's pretty drat bad there and the way things are going it's just a matter of time until we see a straight up murder

This one made me laugh though

https://twitter.com/TheBuddhaSmiled/status/746453668774481920

Rich (and globally mobile, apparently) banker parasite is aggrieved by a homeless person??? Impermissible.

i didn't move to britain to have one of the peasants talk back to me, how dare he

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Decebal posted:

What does it mean that the Shadow Cabinet is resigning ? Is the Government finally going to be ruled in the open instead of in the "shadows" ? ?

Are the people resigning the US version of Democrats or Republicans ???

essentially the shadow cabinet is who the opposition plan to have as their cabinet the next time they win

so in this instance it's Labour

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they don't do anything other than complain about what the actual cabinet is doing so them resigning has no immediate effect on anything and is just an amusing marker of how mad everyone in labour is at jeremy corbyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it sounds cool af though

it sounds way more badass than it has any right to since it's actually the Cabinet of Big Losers who don't get to do anything

• Locked thread