Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tiberius Thyben posted:

These threads never last long, but:

I wish they did. Also now I must see this game in action, even if it's just another LCD Tetris clone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I...kinda want that toy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I assumed it was sloppy and lazy dirty joking. Like "is it high noon? Because these ladies are making your dick point straight up!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh man! I had about half of those Happy Meal Transformer toys when I was a kid!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My mom has in regular rotation that Goonies one with Sloth on it, two Empire Strikes Back ones (not seen here--the Cloud City and Dagobah ones) one for The Great Muppet Caper, and one for The Muppet Movie. I swear we used to have that ET "Be Good" one. Also, she has plastic cups for Return of the Jedi, and for an old Pizza Hut Nickolodeon cup for a Halloween contest called "Nick or Treat" where I guess you gave them your phone number and they called you live on the air. If you said the phrase as your answer you won a prize.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

No you're not, because now you have the makings of a wonderful Something Awful thread wherein you travel back to your childhood home and ask the current owners if you can dig up your McD's buried treasure while dressed as Captain Crook!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I always love seeing the bizarre nes stuff that came out of China far later than you'd expect. Especially when they're not just romhacks, but instead bootlegs that required effort, like the Final Fantasy 7 demake.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I kinda want all of those off color supermen

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Will you settle for Hulks and Spider-Men?

All set to beep boop Indian nursery rhymes of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpg_D3r258w

This channel is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7xlM9Y5Gg

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I hear all that, but I still have to say, having a row of T-Rexes in different colored Spider-Man costumes singing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" and then fighting giant gorillas for no reason is worth the ad fraud.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Am I weird that I experience schadenfreude every time I see someone point out how stupid and flawed most internet advertising/moneymaking is?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't know which I like better, Dennis or What

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I kinda like the Turly Gang guy

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PYF Bootleg/Knockoff: Touch the hole part.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

In the early days of Wolfenstein being the hot new thing, there were SO many knockoffs that just repainted all the bitmaps for the game. Then there was Super Noah's Ark 3D, a religious slanted version that officially licensed the property to paint over as using a slingshot to shoot food at angry ark animals to get them to "go to sleep".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I like how the gun has a picture of a gun on it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Red_October_7000 posted:

You can't go in to knock-off video games without bringing up Famiclones, and the situation in post-Soviet Russia was especially strange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM
The Dendy Chronicles do a pretty good job of explaining it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg
"The Grey Elephant's Curse" goes a little more in-depth.

This guy is pretty fantastic. He isn't much to look at, and early on he tries too hard to emulate AVGN, but he's absolutely fascinating to listen to, as he is able to understand that those of us in the West had a very different video game experience than those growing up in the Soviet Block. If video game history is something you're interested in, these are can't miss.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Those creepy surgery games bring me back around to like, the Finger Family knock off videos, and I recently discovered the now kicked off of Youtube "Hey Kids!" channel that appeared to be a creepy pasta type thing disguised as one of those channels. Except for the Indian man superimposed over a cracked and bruised doll annoying orange style with very stilted dialog. And the random videos of pretty ladies doing nursery rhymes. And how after like over a year of this, suddenly having him appear over a creepy Darth Maul image claiming he is an AI and the girls are human/computer hybrids. And then his next video has Hitler telling you more about this whole thing. What.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Radio Help posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds awesome. Is it still up or did all the videos get deleted?

Yeah, the channel's no longer up, youtube says it violated content or something like that. The link posted above is how I found out about it. Worth a look.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

'Burn the wind' is metal as gently caress. That must be some tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What, you expect them to actually say his name? Maybe you'd like to see three sets of the costume?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how on first glance, that Star Wars Monopoly almost looks legit, and the more you look at the box, the more wrong you find with it. Makes me really curious what the actual game looks like.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Next time you're in, like when you gotta buy Invictus' robot, try to snap a pic of the back of the box, will ya?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just looked it up, here's a youtube video highlighting some of the changes this bootleg cart made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeCNuFA9es

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I like the slowbrow that apparently went through Google's dream thingie, what with all the faces on him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's not important enough for me to search heavily for, but a few months back in the cosplay thread, at some big con there was a guy dressed as GRAND DAD, complete with the Fred Flintstone star over his shoulder. It was incredible.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not a bootleg. Capt Action has been around since the 60s, and the whole gimmick was a dress up doll for boys with various licensing incarnations over the generations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder which property they've ripped off the most. I've definitely seen a bunch of ones with awful Simpsons drawings on them.

I've probably seen mickey mouse and bugs bunny the most myself on ice cream trucks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

There were two where I used to live. One played Turkey in the Straw, which always made me think of the Animaniacs state capitol song. The other one played something that I'm about 90% sure was the Chocobo song.

I hear that, or "Do your ears hang low?" often.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Did you take this picture yourself? I will pay you to buy me one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Huh, at xmas, my mother put in the stocking she sent to my son a top that isn't spidey themed, but otherwise identical, just a more generic paint job.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, SF 2 bootlegs. I remember when these became more popular in arcades than the official SF 2

There was all kinds of great crazy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3kCm1YG4M

Haha, the nearest arcade to me has a couple "Street Fighter II" cabinets set up with a sign about how kids today need to try their skills at the "real" challenge old school gamers faced...Only the machines are actually this!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Apparently instead of comic book villains, this one is fairy tale villains banding together to save the day.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are there any emulators and ROMs for old mobile phones? All this talk of crap old ringtones has got me hankering to revisit the crap old games that went with them.

Or more YouTube links, the DOS ones were pretty good.

I'm not going to link anything, but there are definitely 9-key phone emulators out there. A couple I've tried out have been "KEmulator" and "SJBoy". They're a mild pain because there's not a universal size/button layout for 9-keys so you have to find proper formats for running whatever roms you get in the emulator settings, and they're hardly all-inclusive.

I did an LP a while back of the Silent Hill point and click games for 9-Key phones which are surprisingly dark and graphic (spoilers, they're all about suicide and dead babies) which is sitting in the archives if you're curious.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's weird, both Judge Dredd movies are accurate to the comics from complete opposite ends. For every grimdark serious adventure JD has had, there's also a pants on head goofy one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PeaceDiner posted:

Anyway, for some actual bootleg content, here's what Square should have done for the FF7 remake.

I get so annoyed how much you see posts about bootleg games that never show the gameplay. I don't care if it's just a rebranded knock-off, or a romhack or whatever, and I know that it will never live up to the images on the boxes and carts, but let me see the game, dammit!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

live action version of Power Pachyderms looking good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Needing to start with the wooden sword suddenly makes a lot more sense

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nope that's GTA SA Dark Knight. The Batman pirate has a white box. There's also a Spiderman one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Slime posted:

Parents really loving need to keep an eye on what their kids do online.

Yeah, as the videos posted above point out, these guys really don't keep their videos kid safe. There's no nudity, but definitely non-pg behavior.