Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cumslut1895 posted:

eeeh, their forced smiles + tears belay a deeply disturbed person developing these games. I'm assuming he modeled the art from life, from the people locked in his basement
I just assumed it was intended as fetish bait. Are they... "real" games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I bet it makes a godawful noise as well
Surprisingly, it's pretty accurate and not that bad! Crossposted from the Pokemon thread:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Invictus posted:

fuckin' lol, that's supposed to be Fire Fist Ace from One Piece.

A stunningly accurate representation. I wish I had the power of the hotdog-hotdog fruit, so I could grow hotdogs out of my arm.
I genuinely thought it was supposed to be Disney's Tarzan. What the hell.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crossposting from the Retro Gaming thread:

Miles McCloud posted:

GAME

POKEMON
cock version

5.79 on aliexpress TONIGHT ONLY.
It's like $4 on ebay with free shipping too, goddamn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Most of the Rainbow Edition style bootlegs were done by loving with the actual arcade boards.
Polgyon's oral history of Street Fighter 2 (which was linked in the Final Fantasy megathread last week, long story) actually has a pretty sweet story about this in Chapter 4. SF2 Turbo Hyper Fighting was made faster as a direct response to people playing the pirated versions that were faster and going back to the original and realizing it felt so slow:

quote:

James Goddard:
I come back, and I spend the next few hours writing [a letter] to Japan saying Rainbow Edition is utter poo poo, utter garbage, there is no threat here, it is completely unbalanced and it's a fad. Because as a player, emotionally, that's how I felt. However, before I sent that fax off, I went into the cafeteria to play Champ Edition ...

I sit down to play [against my coworker Joel Pambid], and the weirdest thing happens. He picks Guile; I pick Zangief. I go to play, and oh my God, the game felt like it was underwater. ... I had just spent the last four to six hours playing Rainbow Edition at 25 percent speed increase, so Champ Edition felt like poo poo. It was so slow. For the next two hours, I could not shake that. And it threw my timing off. ... It was just kind of this oh my God moment where I went, "The real threat of Rainbow Edition is not all the fireballs in the air and the craziness. The threat is the speed is addicting, and it changes everything."

quote:

Tom Shiraiwa:
I think the arguments started when we saw this Chinese or Korean pirated version. The team never believed making it twice as fast would make for reasonable gameplay. "It will end up losing all the strategies." But actually trying those pirated versions told them it could be fun. That helped them to be convinced there was a need for this. And of course, we did not want some pirates to take away our potential profits.

Whole thing's a pretty good read but that's the only bit that's directly relevant to bootlegging.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EmmyOk posted:

I was hitting the charity shops today because they sell the best clothes obviously when I found this

Still less on the nose than the Jesus imagery in Man of Steel tbh
I have tried to explain this multiple times on OkCupid first dates and every single time I get the "oh, uh..." like I'm insane.

This is because I am a goony motherfucker but I am glad some other goon is with me :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EmmyOk posted:

I don't know if I've ever brought it up on a first date but the imagery is dreadful. Normally my face and odour put women off long before I get to talk about my views on Superman though!
Online dating saves you on that second front! Also I have no social skills and therefore drive off the women who wouldn't want to hear about why Grant Morrison's theory of "Superman as modern Sun God" is far more compelling and also at least slightly subtle while Man of Steel was just insulting well before getting a date.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Hydronium posted:

The name says it's supposed to be Dumbledore, but the costume says it's supposed to be Gandalf. :psyduck:
Gandalf hat and the weird-rear end clothes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
huh that's actually a pretty good Emil

this is funny on at least two levels

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerry Cotton posted:

Care to enlighten us?
level one: as you'd expect from this thread, that is not Sans from Undertale, so that is a mask "sans Undertale", as in sans meaning "without"

level two: that is a pretty reasonable ripoff Emil mask, from Nier, as worn constantly in public by the guy that made the Nier games:

(teeth are the wrong color but like, that's actually a reasonable quality bootleg of a completely different thing)

level three I guess: holy poo poo the teeth make it way fuckin creepier

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

level four: Toby Fox and Yoko Taro have started tweeting each other and apparently are really keen on the other's respective game. They would both probably get a laugh at the mixup.
poo poo, have they really? Yoko Taro liking Undertale doesn't surprise me at all but I am glad.

someone @ them on that bootleg tweet they might have a good laugh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DontMockMySmock posted:

I always thought that "Dash Rendar" was the worst character name in all of fiction, until, well,
[me]
speak of the devil.
It's always nice to have my username properly appreciated :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

roffels posted:

Whenever I travel to another country, I try to find an ugly Superman bootleg.

Behold, found in a market in Oaxaca, Mexico.

:shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is amazing :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: OHHHHH NOOOOO IT'S MR. POPO, HE'S A PROBLEM

Unironically digging the Lego Mr. Satan

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gann Jerrod posted:

I prefer games that are both fun, and a call for stability in this chaotic world.

I can't decide if I prefer "the chasing game that really frustrates" or "guess which face i have got!" but something about the all lower case and the font and the colors makes me loving love both

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lodin posted:

Black Widow traveling back in time to assassinate Hitler will forever be my favourite Lego bootleg. I'm pretty sure that company even makes decent bricks.

now that's what I call Tactical Espionage Action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

My definitely real girlfriend uh, Iris West. Yeah she's from Canada
hey it's his definitely real wife cause she took his last name :eng101: