Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone remember a PC bootleg of Street Fighter 2 from the mid-90s? I found it on a BBS or similar, it was absolutely abysmal and therefore had its own weird charm. Not sure if it was programmed from scratch or someone was trying to do some sprite swapouts or similar, but I remember it being pretty unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even watching the intro for that says it's a far, far more polished endeavor than the monstrosity that I remember. Mine was definitely years earlier based on the web address being mentioned on that one, I'm guessing 93/94 or so. I'm sure there were multiple revisions of it floating about too, like most odd bootlegs of that era.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure I found a later version of it, as this is a Hyper Fighting/Turbo branded one which mine wasn't. Sadly I can't get past the One Player / Two Player / Option screen, as I guess my MacBook doesn't have the equivalent key to what it's expecting. (Turns out this is sf2liu which is a further clone of sf2ibm which is what I had)

http://playdosgamesonline.com/street-fighter-2-sf2lui-clone.html

e: and a video of an earlier version, which still looks more revised than the one I had but still pretty bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3reP6R28cM

And a bunch of info on it for those interested. Looks like he did the graphics using a SNES and a TV capture card which makes total sense - I was going to say it felt like they were scanned, even though that wouldn't be possible due to the source/animation etc.

http://www.retrogameforum.com/dos-win95/sf2ibm-unlicensed-dos-port-of-snes-street-fighter-2-t177.html

Someone put all the music for the various versions on YouTube and the ones for 1.25 are particularly excellent.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Nov 25, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bokomon just makes me think of Boko Haram. The "Gotta Catch em All" tagline only helps cement this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm having my first hangover of 2017 and the first thing I want to do is kill myself with that god damned knife.

I've not even clicked the link, I just know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna guess the stuff they sell is bootlegs of bootlegs which is just getting too meta.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aesop Poprock posted:

To be fair the figure is so loving horrible and him breaking down laughing at it made me do the same. How the gently caress did that thing get released

I like Ashens just because he seems a nice guy and he could've turned into a complete rear end with his channel blowing up. The film was awful, mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first episode of Ashen's Tech Dump, which lasts 5 minutes, had more jokes that landed than his movie. That was the problem, it was just so unfunny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In trying to rack my brain as to whether I've seen that photo in the past, seen the abomination in real life, or just seen a very similar ice cream van roaming the streets. All are likely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder which property they've ripped off the most. I've definitely seen a bunch of ones with awful Simpsons drawings on them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kennel posted:

Wow her balloon creations sure are .... something

See if you can spot the exact moment she got tired of thinking up alternate character names

[/quote]

Oh god, the number is local and the name is vaguely familiar. I probably drive past this portal to hell every day without realizing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FamilyComputer is what Famicom, the Japanese version of the NES, is short for so they’re not making that up out of thin air at least.

E: ah did I miss a reference then. Never listened to that podcast but always heard good things.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Sep 20, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And now the logo makes sense. Girl Skateboards right? I was more confused about that part than any as I didn't pick up it was a deck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god I'm gonna sing it with that spelling every time now. A pox upon your family.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that one actually made the news because of how wtf it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t wait til the kids who’ve been poisoned by these YouTube grow up and become the worst generation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I used to use Sriracha as a ketchup replacement. It’s pretty tasty as a go to general use sauce. I need to build my heat tolerance back up as my cupboard is full of sauces.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's gonna get real awkward at Xmas dinner when grandpa asks the kid who his favorite cartoon character is, and the kid replies "Hitler".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At 47 discs, and given sometimes the ludicrous logic that goes behind second hand pricing... can we be really sure that sticker doesn’t actually say $100?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

BigClive is pretty much "Chinese Knockoff Electronics: The Channel"

Ashens shows you it’s bad, Big Clive shows you why it’s bad. A good combo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never noticed until now that the OP of this thread is a bootleg Moray Eel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/mrcclapp/status/965634838769303552

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it in this thread we were talking about those weird YouTube videos with the finger family narrated by some odd Indian dude? They’ve come up in a few threads, but I saw these today and I need them in my life.

Finger Family X Catholicism Cups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m gonna guess at least one of them is super into it, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s definitely a crappy Knight costume rather than a crappy samurai costume. Wonder if it’s the wrong photo or the wrong description.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

These are fun. I’d totally buy a Regular Raccoon.

https://www.facebook.com/obviousplant/posts/1827456093971807

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always liked stuff that seemed to be boasting about it being “UNOFFICIAL!” as if that meant it was actually going to be a better product.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s fair, I don’t think I’ve ever owned a strategy guide for a game. I’m remembering things like band calendars and magazines about them. I’m sure they legally have to state they’re not official products to just about get away with existing, and they try use it as a selling point. The current ones I found all look a bit more subtle than the ones I grew up with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh it’s pretty normal to have stuff designed for different markets’ power. Apple, for example, has switching power supplies for multi voltage because you’re paying for well engineered gear (plus in the case of laptops, it’s likely youll travel and put it into a converter. Have a ton of fried laptops ain’t good PR).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Randaconda posted:

lol no

With Apple, you're paying a luxury tax purely for the name.

Take a look at the tear down of their power supplies, they're very well designed (Link for those curious - http://www.righto.com/2015/11/macbook-charger-teardown-surprising.html - I'm nowhere near technical enough to understand the full details, but I find this stuff interesting regardless). Now, I won't comment on some of the recent stuff (I've not used it and I know plenty of people who were happy with their gear in their past are not fans), but some of the things they've made in the past are very, very high quality. And the 'cheese grater' Mac Pro is probably the best PC design of all time, the internals were just insane.

Also I got fantastic service for my iMac and Air back home where stuff would be covered for free for 5 years due to EU law (and them not fighting it, but instead happily telling me my repairs were covered without issue. Try getting that out of ASUS and similar). My current main machine is a 2012 Mini and I have no reason to change it, if it dies I'll probably buy another one. My iMac at the time was also cheaper than the equivalent PC of same design and specs.

Experiences differ of course, but there's plenty of us who bought machines from them with a background in PCs and building machines on our own and not caring about the logo on the back. Not to say everything they make/made is good, but to discount them instantly because of brand and the assumption it's all a luxury tax isn't always the truth.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 17:44 on May 25, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I am extremely curious as to what that VCD does.

Installs a keylogger and emails your life to China.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This one doesn’t really count, as it’s a prop made for a film called Ashens and the Quest for the Gamechild.

His YouTube channel is a lot of fun, but boy did that movie not work at all for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I must’ve forgotten they based it on a real thing. I hope he paid for the licensing! ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So... a console styled after the Xbox One, a PlayStation styled controller, and a Nintendo game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phlegmish posted:

Keep getting Wish ads on my phone and it's 100% bizarre gimmick products that no one would ever have a use for

Yeah appreciate the screen shot of what you actually get, as I don't really have a desire to install the app and clicking the ad just takes me to the ad store.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the Switch has undocumented ways of dealing with power, while I’m sure a power bank might not cause the issues the docks have... best not risk it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Counts as a bootleg tho, cos he stole it from someone else. Was floating around since the PS mini was announced.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Request to rename NMD to The Korn Hub.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Imagine Australian raccoons, based on the terrifying nature of what other Australian wildlife is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that it’s a shirt purposely designed to cross Hanson/Nirvana for jokes that’s then been ripped off by a Chinese printer who has no idea who either are.