Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be pretty cool if the Shiny Rod isn't a super-powerful artefact, but just a fancy-looking wand with some quality-of-life adjustments (like the gems that light up in the presence of strong magic), and all the really flashy, powerful poo poo is simply because Chariot/Ursula's mastered a bunch of highly advanced spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's still consistent with her being at the same Shiny Chariot performance Akko was at, but they're really developing the depth of her rivalry as closer to a reluctant rival rather than an out and out one. I'd imagine Diana was probably like Akko with Shiny Chariot but since she grew up in magical society, she had to weather the disappearance and shaming of her idol at a young age and internalized it. I'm also betting she has the one card Akko doesn't have because of course she would.

And also coming from a very powerful, very influential, and very different magical legacy herself, I guess. I mean, her performance this episode put forward a pretty compelling case for 'our way is best' (before she got shown up, of course, but even that doesn't exactly negate her power, knowledge, and talent).

She's wrong, but she's wrong for pretty reasonable reasons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

The thing that confuses me right now is *why* the headmaster would make an exception for Akko and admit her to the school.

They already explained it, didn't they? Magic isn't a hereditary talent, but it is a hereditary profession, so they've been limiting themselves unnecessarily, and now witches are starting to die out, so they need to start bringing in kids from non-magical families to ensure they still have enough pupils to keep the school running. Akko was just the first one to sign up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pursued by bees posted:

Since they apparently require you to fly through a portal on a broom to even get in the school, Akko may also be the last non-magic user to sign up :v:

That is the basic problem here, yes - while anyone can learn magic, a culture that's immersed in it is going to have serious difficulties with adjusting to people who don't come from a culture immersed in it. It's quite a rich little theme they've decided to build the show around here, actually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Harry Potter except instead of just being raised by Muggles, Harry's just straight up a Muggle.

And the wizarding world has even less idea about how to deal with muggles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Parallax posted:

loving children acting so loving childish

Eh, 'this isn't my thing because it isn't geared at my demographic' is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. He doesn't seem to be blaming it for being aimed at kids, just saying that he, personally, isn't all that into kids' shows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

LWA airs at loving midnight in Japan, it's not a kid's show just because you don't like it, lol.

That seems like a pretty badly missed opportunity, though - it seems like it could do pretty great in a kid-friendly timeslot. Like really, there seems to be absolutely nothing about it that suggests you should lock it away for adults only.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

That was an adorable episode and hopefully some sort of wake up call for Akko...

Next episode: watch Akko work her rear end off to end up slightly below average

I wanna binge-watch this to see her succeed :smith:

Hey, she's gone from being totally unable to do magic to simply casting the wrong spells. Progress!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, did Akko and company use magic in town during the night fall episode? Because Ursula/Chariot did when she was a young screwup. That may be an indicator of magic fading, as well as part of an explanation of why Ursula's such a shadow of her former self.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Give More Children Godlike Magical Powers 2017

It's purely a matter of self-defence at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone I know is saying that LWA takes zero inspiration from Harry Potter.

As I have next to no functional knowledge of Harry Potter, allow me to ask the thread:

On a scale of 1-10, how inspired do you think LWA was by Harry Potter.

I'd like to know so I can try to ascertain if this person is the only person on earth who thinks this or if there are others who somehow think LWA isn't HP as all hell. (because it quite obviously is)

You can make a compelling argument that it owes a lot more to The Worst Witch, at least, though there's definitely some visual inspiration from the HP films (Professor Finneran in particular has an unmistakable touch of Alan Rickman to her).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, read through this. There's some pretty striking similarities. In particular, the main trio owe a lot more to Mildred, Maud, and Enid than they do to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Akko is no Mildred. Mildred is simply clumsy, and just wants to be a normal, average witch. Ethel is a genuinely nasty person who is the antagonist in the series.

Like I said, Akko is more like Ged from Earthsea, someone who wants to fast track to Greatest Wizard but is undermined by their childishness.

Enid Nightshade, not Ethel Hallow. Diana is a (much) more sympathetic spin on Ethel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Being chosen by the Shiny staff is pretty significant. Like Ursula puts it, she mainly falls down because she's being compared to the other students who have been doing this for years and years, but knowing she literally knew no magic a few months ago, being able to throw out repair magic, transformation magic, trigger the cinderella artifact without a hitch, (accidentally) raise the dead... those are significant things.

My point is that Diana isn't much like Ethel at all. The Worst Witch books are basically driven by Ethel's emnity.

Most of the stories so far in LWA have been triggered by Akko's rivalry with Diana. It's just that it's... uhh... coming from the other direction.

A work can be heavily inspired by another work while flipping around some of its key elements, and 'what if the ordinary screw-up was kind of a jerk, and the snooty model student wasn't all that bad underneath it all?' is a pretty obvious reversal of convention. Kind of like how a work can be inspired by Star Wars while making Darth Vader the misunderstood hero. He's clearly still based on Darth Vader, he's just not evil any more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

She the wood spirit thing?

I think she's the lady with the sunglasses in the PV who appears to be set up as the antagonist of the second half.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
H5. Humanity's time is done, Akkofish is the superior species.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

These don't seem to be conventional spells. I don't think they're ever even called spells except by Akko who doesn't know what they really mean. It looks like they run more on determination than focus and practice.

Not just determination, but psychological growth towards an appropriately heroic mindest. They seem much more connected to their user's soul than the general-purpose tools that most spells are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Music Theory posted:

Croix's probably just a tankie or something and the moral will be "ends don't justify means."

Couldn't help but notice that the fairy who got hospitalised was a scab.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm just counting down the episodes until Croix and Constanze start smacking the crap out of each other with giant magitech robots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So according to interviews with Yoshinari, LWA is an allegory for the Japanese animation industry, and he was worried that he made it 'too obvious' with the introduction of Croix. Huh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm, do you have a link? Sounds interesting to read!

I read the stuff about Croix second-hand on another forum, but the animation metaphor seems legit - Yoshinari mentioned it all the way back in the commentary for the first OVA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

There are layers and layers of references to the animation industry in this show.

For example, (William) Hanna and (Joseph) Barbera were an animation director duo who made Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones, and many other iconic series. I personally suspect that Diana is a reference to Disney: prestigious, seemingly perfect, and good at lawyering.

I suspect that despite the name-jokes, the actual character/personality references are much closer to home. Luna Nova is a Japanese animation studio as envisaged by the Trigger team - hidebound, decaying, and nepotistic, with more interest in rote learning of ancient techniques than in innovation, let alone flair and creativity. Diana is the favoured daughter from a good family who can work within the system, but it's still eating away at her soul.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I look forward to the inevitable LWA-Shirobako crossover.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Where was it mentioned that she's Filipino?

Somewhere, not sure where, but she does have a Filipino surname.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

it was also just behind Mjolnir.

The animation budget being almost entirely blown on the ship scenes, especially the batman/x-men/super friends (maybe?) ship takeoff out of water was just :magical:

Also in that screenshot are the owl from Clash of the Titans and the scarab from Cronos. Someone said they saw the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, but I can't spot it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

This episode does make me wonder if Constanze is actually mute or otherwise can't talk. That'd be pretty cool if she was, but she's perfect either way :allears:

She looks like she's going for sign language before giving up when she tries to get that blender from that chef. Pretty sure she is indeed mute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I hope they finally become magic and save friends

Given the ED, this seems uncomfortably plausible.

They did say it was very spoilery, after all...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, just found the full gallery of the pictures the LWA animation team did for each episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder if this is the reason Croix is trying to drain negative emotions? She's seen what happens when you go for positive ones.

I also reckon that the timeline here was that Chariot tried to gather magic from positive emotions, she realised what the side-effects were, and then when she tried to shut the whole thing down, the built-up magic went out of control and blew a chunk out of the moon. This wasn't deliberate, but a huge, terrible mistake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think it's even clear that she knew that harvesting dreams had side-effects that extreme. It seems easy to think of it as a free, harmless power source - I mean, where would you even begin to guess what the downsides might be?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Silly Ursula! Don't confront the villain in their lair. Just submit a formal complaint about her conduct and get her fired and her funding pulled. Also don't blow up the moon. We need it for stuff.

Giant magical moonsplosions are stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

It turns out that this is really just a show about beating the poo poo out of the moon mostly

In grand old magical girl tradition.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm just wondering where they'll go with Croix's weird, angry hatecrush on Chariot. I mean, half the time she's trying to kill and/or humiliate her, half the time she's flying into a blind panic when she thinks she might have actually put her old schoolfriend in mortal peril. Lady has some pretty major crossed wires.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Croix wants to beat Chariot to unlocking the seven words and prove she is better than her once and for all, not kill her.

Though she does seem to forget that sometimes. See also, machinegun to the face. And then she panics when she does land a serious hit. Basically, she seems to behave in such a contradictory manner that there's pretty clearly some sort of internal war going on here - I'd hesitate to ascribe a single, coherent motive to her actions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is a series where the main character is routinely poisoned by her best friend and all she does is develop an immunity to it.

I'm not sure any of Croix's violence against Chariot would have been fatal. Especially considering how durable and superhuman she clearly is WITHOUT magic.

Well, that 'goodbye, Chariot' line when she did the crushy-prison thing did carry certain implications. Particularly since it was only Finneran who kept her from getting squished. And then she basically did the same thing by accident, trapping Chariot on top of a hulking magitek monster, and completely freaked out.

Best explanation I can figure out, given all of that and the fact that she looked surprisingly genuine during the flashback where she comforted Chariot after the latter got the Rod, is as follows. She was initially kind of outraged that Chariot got the Rod rather than her, but felt enough... feelings towards her (respect, friendship, love, whatever) that she was willing to let her do it anyway. Then Chariot spent what Croix saw as a few pointless years dicking around with tacky stage magic, before burning out, blowing up the moon, and retreating into herself. So Croix has a massive grudge, and wants to destroy her old schoolmate for betraying her (and prove to the world that she and her philosophy of magic are better) but also sees too much of the girl she once loved in 'Ursula' to quite follow through, and is this huge bundle of unexamined angers, desires, and insecurities because at heart she's still an insular goon who never talks to anyone ever (which is probably another reason why Chariot, apparently her only friend ever, is a really big deal to her).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I actually agree with that analysis of her character, I just don't think she was ever out to actually kill her.

I think she got very careless with Chariot's life on multiple occasions, because she is not behaving rationally and often lets her anger override her sense/sentiment. So she'll lash out with lethal force, but would be horrified at the very idea of premeditated murder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Why can she do all of those superhuman things? It's not explained at all.

Because she's a highly capable witch of fighting age. The only one in the show, really, given Croix's suspicious reliance on technology rather than her inherent magic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally watched it. Series of events:
:munch:
:unsmith:
:stare:

Also

I'm pretty sure she didn't freak out as soon as Chariot was taken prisoner on the thing (when it went spider), but when she lost control over it after Woodward took the Grand Triskelion.

That's my point - she panicked when the situation went from inconvenient and humiliating to potentially lethal for Chariot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

What's with people saying LWA is supposed to be a kid's show if it still airs at midnight like all the other "adult" (i.e. otaku-oriented) anime?

Multiple timeslots throughout the week? Adult nerds may get it first, but I don't think it's exclusive to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'There's nothing more magical than belief'? Emphasises that sinister foreshadowing, too.

• Locked thread