Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can't tell if it's still going to follow the first movie somewhat, but it looks cool and good in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There were hints of it in the first version, with Diana being willing to admit her errors and seeming like she was going to offer to help with the parade before Akko went "WE DON'T NEED YOU!" in a preemptive strike, but yeah. She's definitely being shown in a better light. A lot of changes, but the characters still feel reasonably consistent with their first iterations.

Good show, Trigger.

It's still consistent with her being at the same Shiny Chariot performance Akko was at, but they're really developing the depth of her rivalry as closer to a reluctant rival rather than an out and out one. I'd imagine Diana was probably like Akko with Shiny Chariot but since she grew up in magical society, she had to weather the disappearance and shaming of her idol at a young age and internalized it. I'm also betting she has the one card Akko doesn't have because of course she would.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Harry Potter except instead of just being raised by Muggles, Harry's just straight up a Muggle.

And Harry's not a rich jock and Draco's not a poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The race was a riot. Akko's team cheating like a bunch of motherfuckers was great and the Hoppy Broom was loving hilarious.

It's was mainly Sucy who cheated. She's clearly the brains of the trio

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

The whole series starts with Belle falling through a portal to the past, so it wasn't a contemporary setting to being with.

Also, I just realized the series is written at a rate of 3 books / year, which is STUPID FAST.

Not if they're all LNs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Creamed Cormp posted:

Maybe the inconsistencies regarding magic sources are one of the main plot points in LWA ? something like witches having gotten too accustomed to "fixed" magical power sources over the centuries and having lost their old ability to just make magic by ~~~believing in their dreams~~~ which Akko will turn out to be remarkably good at because she wasn't trained "traditionally" ?

I have no idea if that's actually the direction Trigger is going to take, but I could see that happening, that's all.

Akko can light up a normal wand now at least. That's progress!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lol at that tabloid being "The Moon." Also, the newspaper text came from here: http://webdesignernotebook.com/examples/css-text.html

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I guess Sucy's going to be Princess Toadstool now?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

After this ep, I really want a focus episode on Professor Finneran, since so far she just seems like a huge jerk, and I'm curious as to what makes her tick and why she doesn't like Ursula or Akko.

I'm definitely expecting an episode at least somewhat focused on her. This is a two-cours series so there's more than enough time to give some focus to the secondary cast.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

My favorite part of the episode was Frank taking a genuine interest in Lotte. That was pretty cute.

It was. :3: Sidekicks gotta stick together.

Akko's getting better at magic though. She didn't gently caress up the transformation spell. She's also good on her feet, all things considered when she was chasing the bee. She didn't even gently caress up the buffet table when she landed on it. I'd imagine if there were conventional athletics at Luna Nova, that'd one of the only things she excels in.

I think "Cupid's Arrow Wasp" would be a really good localization from whatever the Japanese name is. It also looks more like a wasp than a bee.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Akko has shown zero aptitude for magic except for speaking fish.

She's definitely getting better judging by how she didn't gently caress up the transformation spell like the last episode with Andrew. Akko started learning magic from zero whereas the rest of the school probably had at least some amount of magical exposure and training

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

LWA would make a fantastic platformer if each of the girls had different abilities.

Akko has the best running and jumping. She has the Shiny rod that she largely uses to smack enemies and activate certain switches. Sucy can throw potions and make mushrooms to bounce off of. Idk what Lotte would have other than an ability to repair certain ruined objects.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the visions looked like the staff (the goblins and so forth) going on strike. Another showed the tower surrounded by withered trees.

Maybe we'll have a time skip where the school definitely does shut down and the next arc is about reviving it along with the state of magic in the world

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

the cubes are from croix, the kamina looking witch in the flashbacks and preview of s2. her deal is literally magitek, blending magic and technology together as a new evolution of the waning old magic.

I'm sure she and Constanze would get along great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

new opening boyeeeeez

Is that some h*nd h*lding?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The first of the visions have come to pass: the faeries striking.

As telegraphed as everything is, I'm sure the SSS will have something to do with the vision of the blighted land.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Condiv posted:

also, why couldn't the witches have cut back on their magic some to feed he faeries? they're all p wasteful with it, to the point i was assuming being next to the philosopher's stone meant you had a near infinite source

i would never have expected they were near overutilizing the drat thing already

The way it works is basically as a continuously flowing water fountain connected to a pipe or some other water source. Witch and Faeries basically collect it as needed as it emanates out with the rest essentially splashing onto the ground or evaporating out. Croix is basically proposing collecting what would otherwise be wasted and storing it. Of course, this ignores the possibility that said "waste" actually helps the surrounding environment and helps it grow as opposed to uselessly flowing out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

its awesome! i wonder what the conclusion will be?

An embrace of both the new and the old together for the purpose, not of mere tradition or money, but for the continued inspiration and wonder that witches bestowed so long ago.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Some of us in this thread is probably as old as or older than Croix and Chariot. I'm not, but I'm feeling old too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Meanwhile, back in January (from one of the show's animators, I think, someone posted it in this thread a while ago):

Somehow Sucy manages to handle surströmming but not salmiak.

I've not tried surstromming, but I can imagine it's probably a smellier version of Bagoong or some variation thereof. Given that Sucy's Filipino, I'm sure she's tried it and other equally weird Filipino delicacies herself. Say...Balut?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Where was it mentioned that she's Filipino?

It's implied from her last name which is almost 100% similar to the word "Mambabarang" which means sorcerer/sorceress.

Edit: To be more specific, it's Cebuano which is one of the regions in the Philippines and whose own indigenous people have their own language.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

holy crap chrondigizoit IS from Digimon.

There's also a LotR and a Gulliver's Travels reference.

This episode probably took up as much budget as the finale did I'd wager. I'm guessing the next episode is focused on Jasminka (given the previous two episodes) and may not be as budget intensive becasue of the previous one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Akko X Diana or Akko X Amanda

Both seem good. Tough choice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Trigger you sons of bitches

I see no resemblance here

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's a black shiny rod with purple as a secondary color. It's clearly got some conceptual continuity.

Its purple as a secondary color instead of red and all of the holes are 100% in the wrong places. The shape is also wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Eh, Chariot really should've looked into the experimental magic she designed to test on an unknowing audience. It's partially her fault in that sense.

Chariot isn't all that bright based on the flashbacks so she's more like an unwitting rube

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, there are nine witches in the Nine Olde Witches spot right now. I'm sure that's a coincidence ;)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
SoL or gag anime LWA season when?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Sucy's angle is less her weird low-key gross/weird voice acting and more her being eternally tired and low-energy. It still works pretty well.
I like the dub as a whole but there's weird ADR quality inconsistencies going on it. For some reason it sounds like Hannah's dialogue was recorded on a different microphone and sounds different from everyone else's.

Edit: also I'm disappointed that they didn't bother with accents like at all

To be fair, the original didn't either

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If/When they make a S2, we'll see if any of those things bear out. Alternatively in an official manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just give us a Jasminka episode, you cowards.

Preferably where they go to her hometown and everyone there talks about "That Jasminka, she must never stop talking your ear off" and "Jasminka, the social butterfly".

You know, like that Deep Space Nine episode where everyone thought Morn was dead.

It'll be "Jasminka, the Athlete" and "Jasminka, the Superstar" or "Jasminka, the town's idol"

• Locked thread