Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I still stand by my highly principled stand that this thread is in fact Scotpol The Fourth. Third, could be argued. This is the hill I will die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

They're only against a divisive second referendum, so Boris will be doing everything he can to make sure the referendum is pretty much unanimous for independence. Division averted!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Yes, because what an independent Scotland really needs is another way to piss off Spain

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Nah she needs to demonstrate to the voters that she has tried every conceivable method of keeping Scotland in both the UK and EU. The reality is though that independence will be required, and so hopefully Westminster will continue to display the current level of competence and leadership for the next few months until that can happen.

If there was some magical way of still staying in the UK while getting the benefits of the EU then I'd argue it'd still be in Nicola's interests to take it. An indyref right now is still going to be a bit of a risk, the SNP have barely had time to rebuild their case after the last one. I think independence is going to end up the least worst option that's actually on the table, though, that's my Forums Poster Prediction

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Lol Labour getting hosed again and the Greens taking a wave of support.

The Greens always seem to get six extra points or so whenever there's not about to be an election

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jre posted:

Yeah , I did :stare: in real life first time I went for a walk on the beach and saw all that poo poo

Why the beaches? Is that where they think all the dastardly poles enter the country, rather than y'know, walking straight through an airport terminal like they've been legally entitled to for some time now

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

No, it's for the much more prosaic reason that fascists and racists are cowards. They do their scrawling down at the beach because they can go there at 2am without fear that anyone will see who is doing it.

I guess we'll just have to fight them on the beaches then.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm not sure Mogwai would go down particularly well at Eurovision, though

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Isn't vocal performance one of the criteria judges have to consider? I guess if you don't sing anything then you technically haven't hosed up the vocals any. Wikipedia says "No entirely instrumental composition has ever been allowed in Eurovision contests." but I'm not sure if that's just because nobody's ever been stupid enough to try.

I will admit that part of me wants to see Mogwai subjecting people to With Portfolio for three minutes while Europe gazes on in horror, but then I hate seeing anyone enjoy themselves so

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't really understand Europe's musical taste, but as a serious option Chvrches seem like they would be able to put together a nice song that wouldn't be entirely despised by modern audiences, despite their choreography likely consisting of "they just stand there, two of them behind keyboards going 'ohhh' on occasion"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

tithin posted:

Was commenting on this earlier in Discord, and the general consensus is that when she's talking "esoteric" memes, she's talking "gently caress the jews" sorts of memes

extra rare nazi pepes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Fans of the Sunday Herald will enjoy this heartwarming display of European solidarity on the front page:

http://twitter.com/newsundayherald/status/749347303702597632

Fans of hating the Sunday Herald will enjoy that apparently most of the translations are incorrect.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

lilljonas posted:

The Swedish one says "Scotland is Europe", not "Scotland is European".

drat, our dreams of continental conquest have been revealed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

We are going to get a repeat of 2012-2014 again aren't we.

In terms of the thread, yes, it appears so.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

quote:

Recompense:
  • 2016/17 Partick Thistle season ticket.
  • Fantastic opportunities to travel the country and meet celebrities like David Hasselhoff, Rachel Riley and Jonathan Sutherland off the telly.
  • That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you know you have made thousands of people happier.

I don't know much about usual asking rates for football mascots, but none of these seem to involve actually being paid money, which seems a bit disappointing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jre posted:

Season ticket is worth at least £300

can't really feed yourself with a ticket to the football though, is my point. mascots of the world, unite

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

The Labour voters voted to Remain more then the SNP voters.

Statistics pedantry time: unless you're looking at a different survey than the Ashcroft one, there was only one percentage point in that, which sounds likely to fall within whatever the margins of error were. Actually, was there a breakdown of Scottish Labour voters? Might be an interesting question. (e: no there wasn't)

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hitting out at the SNP for not reaching out to Leave voters after the referendum.

She just dismissed triangulation by name. Politicians need to argue for the policies they want to implement.

This does sound like a bit of a contradiction, though. I haven't seen the actual speech but.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 7, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I have an opinion on this matter.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm hoping she just hasn't realised it exists and we can just sneak out quietly without her noticing

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's something I'm more likely to do when I'm stressed and want to have something mindless to distract me from whatever fuckery is going on - since the results of the EU referendum I've made 2 dresses, a jumper and a minion.

The conservative party, boosting british industriousness one referendum at a time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Extreme0, why did you just decide to become an aggregated news feed?

It's at least provoking some discussion. Though I guess that's what they say about Ukip.

Acaila posted:

Who is in?

I'm generally repelled by anything involving the word 'bantz', however I'll make an exception for this one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Extreme0 is performing a public service.

Don't say that too loud or the Tories will privatise him :ohdear:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Patrick doing us a service.

I wouldn't put it past him but we don't actually know it was Harvie

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Also we're both used to our immediate neighbours being completely unable to understand our crazy accents

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I guess a lot of people are probably taking a wait-and-see sort of approach? I don't think it's likely that the Tories will approve of a deal to get us in the market and with free movement but if they do then that would take a lot of the urgency out of it for most people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Jesus, those are a lot of words to say "I want to gently caress my sister". Creepy.

It's got an acronym now, everything's fine when there's an acronym for it.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with his "France is a terrorist target because incest is legal" theory though

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm in.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Perth has landmarks?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Niric posted:

Saw it a couple of years ago and can confirm

Front pages: Stories making headlines in Scotland on Wednesday

The Daily Record seems to have chosen the most incongruous headline possible for that story, presumably intentionally

Yeah, what even is the deal there? If they were trying to downplay her actions they wouldn't have called her disgusting, yet they go on to mention what seems to be the least disgusting thing she did, judging by the first paragraph there.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I dunno, I think "these people might vote for me so I should make statements defending their interests" might be cynical politics but doesn't quite reach the level of "cynical poo poo" in my eyes

e: especially when the interests she's defending is in line with the political messaging she got elected on i.e. hooray for europe and immigrants

Angepain fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 19, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Acaila posted:

I'm quite smug about being teetotal again.

Well, in my experience soft drinks are just at silly prices rather than ridiculous ones. I guess you could drink water for an evening, as in, it may be theoretically physically possible for a person to do that. But where then would you get an unhealthy quantity of sugar to block up your pancreas with? Nowhere, that's where.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm currently on the outskirts of Edinburgh on the train, should be there in 20 minutes or so. I await the endless fun that is trying to find a corner of space in Edinburgh during the fringe.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Compared to the last one this is already a marvel of organisation so you at least have that to point to

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I like the ambiguity of the Mail headline. Also I'm glad Flaps agrees that the social pressures that lead to people finding it necessary to keep their feelings bottled up are a serious problem, good for you

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Acaila posted:

Britain's last elected communist steps down from his Fife constituency: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/-sp-britains-last-elected-communist-councillor-willie-clarke?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
Labour won the resulting by-election: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/274948/tide-turning-labour-party-fife-election-win/
And the new councillor is a Cool and Good Correct person, who is pro-indy and pro-Corbyn and pro-all sorts of awesome things.

That liveblog is adorable.

https://twitter.com/C_JWatson/status/768922408539402240

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I bet that story on the front of the Daily Mail isn't based in reality.

I just read the cover in a shop, according to the first paragraph it is a 10-page report about printers, but the bit about minorities is just one part - how long, I don't know - that ultimately concludes that there would not be any issue of discrimination. My own personal guess that it's a standard form document used for many purposes that includes a section on potential discrimination as standard and some guy in an office has just written a version of 'it's a bunch of printers so we'll probably be fine' in however many words are required.

An organisation the size of police scotland probably has a lot to print off, so I can't say I'm that concerned that somebody has been paid to think about printing for a ten-page span or so. I'm more surprised that the police pay people to think about issues relating to discrimination, amirite, amirite, hey-o

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't think it's the taste that puts people off it, it's the origin story

wimps

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Haggis is shite and we all just pretend to like it. Also, I think it must be a viking import as the scandies have an excellent track record w/r/t making unappetising meals out of things most sane people become nauseous at the mere prospect of ingesting.

haggis is fantastic and you're wrong, but on your other point we came up with the deep fried mars bar so i think we're just as capable of culinary horrors as the next people group

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i really wanted to like haggis burritos but no dice. turns out there may in fact be a food in existence that does not go with salsa and guacamole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Hoops posted:

Lol

I didn't know this thread was here, can someone catch me up on how terrible it is?

I do *not* live in Scotland currently.

We're mostly just sitting around waiting for something interesting to happen