Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Just gonna quote Hitler here:

"Only one thing could have stopped our movement – if our adversaries had understood its principle and from the first day smashed with the utmost brutality the nucleus of our new movement."

Not gonna argue for or against the actual subject matter, but this part of your argument hinges on Adolf "invading Russia is a good idea" Hitler making a rational analysis of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Denmark har at least talked about special child care for children of essential personnel. I don't know if it's implemented though, since I'm on the least essential part of government and also sick.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Reclaim Eastern Denmark and quarantine the poo poo out of it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They want to let the virus run its course and decimate the older native Swedish population, allowing the younger immigrant population to complete their takeover. Or if you prefer the non-right wing conspiracy theory angle; they're afraid of what testing would reveal, so they're going with the "corona can't hurt me if I don't see it" plan.

Sweden knows basic economics, which dictates that old and fragile people are a drain on society, and getting rid of them is good for long-term growth. It's basic neoliberalism.

What is that about other values than growth? Sounds like some hippie nonsense!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Denmark just banned meeting in groups of ten or more. This might be sensible, but also really fun and not at all going against the Constitution. Last time we did this was in 1945, for different reasons.

Also restaurants, tattoo parlors and so on are ordered to close down. Luckily, take away is still allowed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As a former postal worker in Denmark, I can confirm that package football is a real thing. Rare, but real. The thing that kept me and done of my coworkers from signing the slip, dumping stuff or stealing the mail was a sense of pride in our work, coupled with a slight fear that someone would notice a pattern in complaints. Since postal workers are getting poo poo on as part of neoliberalism, they don't have any pride left, and since complaints are not common, there is less of a person-specific pattern. The job is to get rid of whatever mail and gently caress everything else at this point.

In Denmark, there is a ton of tjenestemænd employed, the people who get three years pay when fired for anything short of being convicted of a workplace crime. These people know that the postal service is a dying business in it's current form, but they're old and don't give a gently caress.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

I thought smokers was actually a net benefit for the state budget because they kill themselves via cancer and other smoking related health problems before they can enter the really costly age bracket. Basically being productive workers that die at or shortly after retirement. Not sure about the cost of snus users though.

Last I heard from a health economist, single, urban uneducated, male smokers are a net benefit, but every other group of smokers is not. It's probably ten year old data though, so it might have changed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Replacing pension with euthanasia is the only economically rational course of action.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark we're basically pretending we won, while occasionally disinfecting our hands and not using elevators with other people in them unless we've been waiting a bit. Handshakes are limited is really the best I can say. At least, that's my experience.

I do know some at risk people who are just staying put, but that just makes everyone else chill more.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

America has essentially privatised taxation, at least from a Nordic perspective. The official tax number may be lower, but the real number is probably higher, though you get to opt out of you don't need to live or something. Whereas in Scandinavia, only the rich get to opt out of paint taxes.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned student debt and such. I just paid off the rest of my Danish SU-lån, totalling 6000 dkk, down from 20.000... I'm 31 and debt free now...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nah, we're raising the retirement age to 74, thus avoiding old people being a burden. A flawless plan.

Also, about electric cars:
https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1290040673358368769?s=19

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

We would have to mine roughly 2,700% more lithium, though.

Good thing the EU decided to open up mines in Europe, surely that will solve everything using the magic of Vækst™!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

latent lunatic posted:

I propose sealing off 2020 like radioactive waste and pretend it never happened.

Yes, repressing trauma is the healthy option, ask any psychologist!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

von Braun posted:

Eh it's like this this. I have done that for years and I got money every month. Applied for a job as a football coach in California etc. didn't really matter. Though arbetsförmedlingen is awful and horrible overall.

Lol if you've been unemployed and haven't applied for the King of Denmark job that's clearly vacant.

Half the people at jobcenteret and my A-kasse basically understood and were honest about wasting my time with busywork. The other half seemed to genuinely think they were helping me get a job (they weren't). Most conversations were "what you're doing looks good, keep going" "ok, glad I spent two hours for this".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Two ways: make it mandatory, and take advantage of everyone who likes keeping life and work separate. Also those of us who don't have a mansion with two office spaces and/or live our entire lives in front of a computer.

For those of us who have a lot of meetings, formal and informal, it's also a huge advantage having everyone physically close.

In Denmark there's actually some pesky work safety rules that means that your home office must be ergonomic, which translates to most home offices being illegal (for the employer). During the pandemic, force majeure applies, but under normal circumstances, if you work from home, your employer must provide a proper chair and table. And no employer is doing that.

Hi, I'm probably headed for management with the way I defend going to work.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If it's in Denmark, Arbejdstilsynet is technically allowed to inspect your workplace, including home office, and of it's not up to spec the company is liable. Of course, this probably doesn't ever happen even without the pandemic.

I also borrowed a chair from my job for the first lockdown, and didn't give it back until a couple of weeks after it ended, despite quitting like a month before. No one noticed...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

People are super different. If I had been single and not a parent, I would enjoy working from home a lot more. Especially if my work wasn't 80% meetings that depend on me getting on with people, which is a lot easier with eye contact.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What was a white flødebolle called before the world went mad? I always learned N-word-bolle/kys as an old fashioned and (mildly) offensive term growing up, but like, no one actually wanted the old word back...

Anyway, I predict a bunch more outing of prominent sex pests in Denmark, probably more on the left because people actually care there. Also I predict female replacements in many cases. Which will be ineffective, see Radikale Venstre...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

He also accidentally mentioned that one of the anonymous accusers happened to be the leader of the youth organisation, which is very respectful and makes other women feel safe that their privacy will be respected if they come forward without going public. And given how lovely women coming forward are being treated in the general public, that's a pretty important piece of privacy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

P.S. A note to the Danes: can you try to keep Peter Madsen behind bars? Like don't let him craft fake guns and bomb belts in future, okay?

No. He's not brown, we have to treat him nicely. Besides, it's not like he's a literal psychopath. What's he gonna do anyway, build a space rocket and escape the country in it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sometimes the jokes write themselves: Paludan has signed up for the Swedish party Alternativ.

I'm going to assume it's not a sister party to the Danish Alternativet?

Anyway, loving immigrants and so on and so forth.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The point isn’t that it’s all suppression, it’s that it’s almost impossible to tell due to it being so prevalent across America. It’s not really shrugging about the election if going to vote is something you have to budget for, or lose one of your jobs over.

Especially when the best case result is maintaining your current lovely situation. The suppression takes a lot of forms to, including the ridiculous two party system. Whereas our Scandinavian system doesn't allow literal Nazis in parliament because the vote was split with the crazy racist libertarians.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Last election or the one before probably, some kind of IT broke down at my polling place in Copenhagen, and instead of waiting in the hour long queue, I opted to come back later. If there had been no chance of a better "later", or if it took me literally hours to get there, there is no chance I would have bothered. And I'm a super cushy middle class rear end in a top hat who believes that voting is important. If my income was on the line, you can be drat sure I'd stay away from wasting hours.

Incidentally, this was in Nørrebro, which is very immigrant heavy. I remember it being a European election though, so I doubt it was deliberate, because who the hell cares about one polling place out of the EU?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Steen71 posted:

:confused: But it's all paper. IT shouldn't affect the time it takes to vote.

It was super dumb I'm sure, but I only got the explanation passed down along the queue... I think it was the bit where you trade in your postcard thingie for an actual ballot that was the problem. The last few elections, the process has been scan the ballot using IT, confirm birthday, get ballot, vote. I guess the scanner didn't work/connect to anything, and no one could figure out how to use the old school books like in days of yore.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark we still count by hand. The parties are required/requested (I'm not sure) to supply the counters, which always struck me as odd.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I sure hope there's some sort of checking by another party. Because otherwise, I'm signing up for counting. At last, Kærlighedspartiet* will have the votes they deserve!

*PYF funny local list. I also appreciate En Død Hest.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

We're going to be on this fucktrain until there's a vaccine.

Some of you are at least. Some are getting off early.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sorry, I know it's tasteless..

On the other hand, mocking Swedes for being dumb is an important part of Danish culture.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

You realise Danes were planning their weddings in Sweden to get around restrictions, right? Where do you think they'll be going afterwards? Also most of the government is in quarantine right now because they won't adhere to their own rules.

Here's a video of two infected MPs in a room full of other maskless MPs failing to keep distance:

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/professor-om-coronasmittede-politikere-det-sender-et-meget-uheldigt-signal

It's projection for the most part. We're pretty dumb over here as well. But I think Denmark handled covid better than Sweden so far, idiot politicians notwithstanding.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I never even considered that, not even while remembering swine flu. But it seems like the latest decision is to kill all the drat mink now, which is good. I hope it doesn't get to start up again, that way some small good is coming out this year.

Anecdote: I work in Banedanmark, and a few weeks ago we got a message on the intranet that some of our people were being sent to oversee the slaughter. It's kinda weird, but it makes sense to have some sort of government official oversee that they actually do it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Yet not innovative enough to have proper language ;)

Hey! That's unfair! Danish Sign Language is cool and good!

Mink chat: Denmark is transitioning from being the leading supplier of fur to being the leading supplier of novel new Corona virus strains.

Compound word chat: the way of writing stuff in Latin is not really super well suited to Germanic compound words, because they're sort of in the grey area between words and phrases. Abbreviations pick and choose to make the best sounding abbreviation. In many cases opting for three or four letters. See also prepositions being included or excluded in acronyms for pronuncability/brevity. And especially see FE vs PET. That's super dumb.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are you telling me I can buy Norwegian whale meat? Because I'm absolutely in the market for that, if it's sustainable from a healthy population. Of course, that's seems like a pretty big if... But isn't the much publicized whale killing on the Faroes pretty sustainable actually?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Those were invented in the 1800s, right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

It annoys me a bit that this is the second time I've gone shopping since my municipality turned red (we've got outbreaks in a nursing home and a junior high school at the moment, with a couple of people have an unknown infection route, plus we're pretty close to both Drammen and Oslo) and it's also the second time I've been the only person in the grocery store wearing a mask.

IT'S NOT MANDATORY YOU KNOW!

Seriously, we had a major increase in mask use in Denmark the day it was made mandatory inside. It's not that people can't, it's that it's a slight inconvenience so why bother doing it unless you have to.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Supermarkets are designed too make you squeeze past people and queue up, to increase impulse buying. I really enjoy working from home so I can go there in the middle of the day, and I get to use the self checkout app and my own bag, meaning I only touch a few doors and the stuff I'm buying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

I feel this pandemic would be over quicker if the government just responded to this particular type of genius with sustained machine-gun fire.

Or if we, preferably on a global or at least European scale, agreed to do two weeks of real proper lockdown, no one in or out. It works suck a lot for those two weeks, but there would be no one left to infect others afterwards.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sweden should just declare war on the virus, then you'd have all the legal options you need. Or just declare war on Micronesia or whatever if you need an actual country. I'm sure Denmark would be into a war to, but it might get too real.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

Asking individual people to take responsibility for a national, if not global, pandemic response is just lol. Blame your governments.

Agreed, let's do some serious downsizing and let the market handle it. This message brought to you by Saxo Bank.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was at s funeral in the weekend. I can report that normal humans are not going to keep safe distance and wear masks for funerals on account of death being sad. The 50 person thing makes some kind of sense there.

I wish people would have taken care not to spread the virus so I could have had a normal funeral without having to worry about a disease too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aktivering, and basically all requirements on the unemployed, are extremely fit for their purpose, which is to punish people for being unemployed. My wife spent two years unemployed, and got a lot of mandatory and well meaning requirements, which did absolutely zero to help her get employed. What eventually happened was a combination of luck and a recommendation from our neighbour landed her a job.