Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Puistokemisti posted:

Have you guys considered leaving EU and forming your own Scandic Union with Scotland?

Don't loving tempt me, kompis.

Also the thread needs this in the OP IMMEDIATELY:

:siren:loving OBLIGATORY FOR READING THIS THREAD:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, we got really loving close when we invented lutefisk.

Depends. Most people are used to traditional lutefisk with piss-poor quality fish. If you make lutefisk starting from really fresh, high quality fish that isn't cod, it can taste amazingly great.

doverhog posted:

Is smoked or cured fish bland? It's pretty common around these parts and good.

Lutefisk is something else...

Nah. Proper smoked wild salmon straight from the river is something along the lines of the most tasty thing in the world. Combine it with sourcream and flatbread and that's just heaven.

Of course, you can't buy it, but you have to cathch/make it yourself. Or know a fisherman.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

doverhog posted:

What are you arguing? That Iceland isn't culturally a part of the Nordics? Next you will be saying the same thing about Finland. Crazy talk.

Iceland is... special. It's a special place with special people. And I do mean that in the absolutely best of ways. I love Iceland.

No matter how you slice it though, Iceland is part of the Nordic countries, but not part of Scandinavia. That's a matter of geographic location. It's also not a point that matters, at all. I'd even consider Iceland a natural ally and partner in any kind of typical scandinavian (and absolutely nordic) union, cooperation, treaty and such.

Precision of terms. We enjoy precision, ja?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, its not like they would do an incredible stupid thing and doom us all.

But enough about the Danish government.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So. I propose a nordic federal union, combining the objectively best ideas, concepts and policies from each country (based on independent sources), a common currency (the Scandinavian Kroner, or SCK), and a common military structure and defence.

We can call it Greater Norway, since Norway is great and this would be even greater. Or maybe possibly Scandinavia, Norden or some such.

The nations would be Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. Finland can tag along as a puppet state.

We could negotiate with the EU (if that still exists) for a better deal than the EEA, be a strong united front against Russia and a major playor internationally (as opposed to now, where we are all but irrelevant).

So, let's put it to a vote. Who's up for it? As a bonus, the swedes would have to leave the EU, doing a Sexit. There'd also be a Dexit and a Fexit, which isn't as funny.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Faroe Islands votes to leave the UK and joins in as well.

#Faxit.

Can you export us some delicious pilot whale? Y/N?

Get Finland out of the EU to save the EU #fixit

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm Norwegian, so no.

There's norway that's true. Also we can export whale. It's just that nobody will buy any. Dunno why, it's hella tasty.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Baudolino posted:

So the question has been raised" would you ask a male politician if he felt nervous?". With the implication being that women gets asked this but never men and that this is bad. If there is a double standard here then that is bad. But eh, yeah i would like to know if certain male politicans felt nervous when giving a speech.

Women are often held to a stricter more demanding standard which is unfair. The best solution is to also and with equal force apply the same standard to men.

In the developed world women are progressing, men are backsliding. This is because we men decided it was ok and cool to a have lazy " aw-shucks i`ll just wing it" attitude to life. Women in general are not socialized to have this lovely attitude, instead they feel like they have to over perform and really do their homework to not get ridiculed. We men could use some of that neurotic paranoia and self-doubt. We ougth be more like Clinton and less like Trump.

In short do ask male politicans if they feel nervous and why they wear such ill/well fitting suits.
Its good for society.

Do you ever feel nervous about posting?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Because you loving should.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Collateral Damage posted:

Stjärnklart. A good book. And not just danish raids, but the entire country splits into little fiefdoms warring between each other over the last remaining resources. I really liked the small side stories of personal tragedies as a result of the complete collapse of technology.

The second and third books in the series kind of go off the deep end, but they're entertaining nonetheless.

Looking at global temperatures recently this might be less fiction and more fact pretty soon. Don't build on the coast, though, for obvious reasons.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

Norwegians, can you please tell me when I can expect some mechanical engineering jobs to appear on NAV/Finn? I know the oil price crash hosed you, but I've been watching for six bloody months and the only jobs that come up are in other countries or mean I have to enter academia *again* and waste four years on a doctorate in something I care very little about.

Im almost at the stage of pulling the trigger of forming my own company just so I'll have something to do when I move over sometime in the next year with my family.

Yeah, it's hard and even harder if you're not fluent in the language (which I'm assuming you're not?). Were you looking to work offshore though? Anyway, there's definitely a pretty cold market for engineers at the moment (my brother is an electrical engineer and he just got laid off due to seniority even though he did badly needed profitable work for the company).

Do you know what starting and running a business in Norway entails though? If you're actually thinking about it, there's some stuff you should be aware of. You can toss me a PM if you need some quick advice.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

I dont know what it entails just yet. I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I may have to go that route and freelance doing what I do to engineering companies in Norway and the UK when I move over there since there doesnt appear to be that many roles advertised. My current contract excludes me from setting a company up while still employed at my current employer. I've recently been told about Proff.no and I've been hammering engineering keywords into it over the weekend looking for firms I can cold apply to.

Sure, but that's hardly the only place to look. If you can ally with someone with some norwegian language skill, there's a lot of places to look:

https://karrierestart.no/yrke/48

There's a for instance. Lots of places to leave your resume.

Here's the union (it's smart to be a member):

https://www.tekna.no/en

Here's another place specifically for engineers:

http://ingeniorstillinger.no/

Don't know it that helps, but I wish you the best of luck regardless. Don't be afraid to pop into the scandinavian thread for advice and gentle mockery:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480864

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

lilljonas posted:

Make Sweden Great Again

Kom igen Tjabo, you know you want to!

gently caress off og gi tilbake Jemtland og Herjedalen. Øst-trøndelag for øst-trøndere.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

can't wait to see how disappointed we'll all be in like a week

When they inevitably buckle under for the slightest concession from our FRP overlords? Certainly. But everyone is kind of jockeying for positions for next year, might just be that the non-spine-havers finally decided they needed to appear to take a stand.

But no, they will buckle. It's just slightly interesting to watch.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Its more likely that FrP will cease negotiations as a final gently caress you to Erna Solberg.

Please. I'm not that lucky. You're not that lucky.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hollismason posted:

What's like the property tax system in Scandinavian countries like? Just kind of curious. It's what I work in now.

What's property tax?

Just kidding. What would you like to know? I can tell you about the Norwegian system, about as detailed as you like. Sweden and Denmark, not so much, but I can find some stuff if you give me some time.

Working on a municipal level or national level for the tax agency? Property tax specifically is a municipal authority controlled tax, which varies from kommune to kommune. The tax system is pretty ancient and the property tax law is an old mishmash and patchwork of a law, that leaves a lot to be desired. On a national level, property is sort of indirectly taxed through a capital tax system, which is intricate and is used quite frequently as a monetary policy tool by the government.

Tax in Scandinavia is a pretty huge business and will keep you safely employed for life in a pretty well-paid, but boring job.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hollismason posted:

That's interesting. Yes, part of my research has been into how marketable a paralegal/ in depth understanding of property tax laws within the US is in regard to finding some sort of employment with real estate investment firms, but I am unsure if it is.

Well, that depends. A paralegal-level understanding of property tax laws (with innovative new approaches from the big US dontchaknow) and experience with valuation and estimates of property value and condition would possibly get you quite far with several of the firms in Norway who contract out to the individual communes for individual assessment of properties, general tax level and legal compliance. Oh, you thought there was a municipal or national tax deparment in charge of those things? That's cute. No, everything must be privatized and contracted out these days, don't you know.

There are also jobs to be found doing property tax for the municipal authority though, and there is a general dearth of competence among them. All in all, not a bad gig for someone with experience and a brain, though probably a bit soul-crushingly boring.

National... you'd be competing with my buddies the law school graduates that specialize in tax law. That's a tough one. Same goes for big consultancy firms and finance.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hollismason posted:

That's not unusual. The United States system is similar with Counties and individual Townships having Assessors. I probably have more knowledge in that specific area, but also have specialty in Property Tax investment for purchase of property taxes etc..

My area of study would probably be Denmark. Although I have yet to super investigate Norway.

I know of a few firms here that deal with foreign countries and people there investing in American Real Estate. I've actually done some appeals for a firm that was in Sweden I think.

I dunno in the US at least you don't have to have Citizenship in order to buy property apparently that is not the case with some European Countries.

Property Tax investment, purchase of property taxes? Do you mean an aquisition tax?

Everyone should superinvestigate Norway. Particularly how the justice department withheld a cancellation of an extradition request from Italy, leaving a suspected terrorist-light and confirmed rear end in a top hat to rot in jail for several months and a lot of court proceedings in direct violation of every ethical and moral standard for prosecutory conduct as well as the goddamned constitution and the european human rights convention. Just saying.

In Norway you don't need to be a citizen to purchase realestate, generally. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fine fish I'm not getting into right now. Suffice to say, you better know what you're doing.

Oh, you're interested?

Well, it all started back in the 1500s with the implementation of a property tax system called "Matrikkelskyld". Simply put, the invididual farms were issued a number, a fraction of a whole number representing the "skyld" or the "debt" amount of an administrative unit or county. This served as both a determination of the amount owed as well as the relative value of the farm for assessment purposes.

And then they ran that system through a blender, had an economist poo poo all over it and then pushed that through parliament. The result is what we call the artistocrats! "L06.06.1975 nr. 29 Lov om eigedomsskatt til kommunane (eigedomsskattelova)" or the voluntarily implementable municipal property tax law.

Which fucing sucks, to be technical about it.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

While its not as insane as Oslo its still not cheap. Plus you would have to deal with the people who live there.

Also, you must know your rights per the realestate purchase and sale law (avhendingsloven) which is linked to a generalized contracts and deals law, which has an important impact on all agreements and contracts which are further regulated through customary law, legal presedence and legal theory of contractual oblications - in case anything goes wrong. It's an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure theory, at the point where you'd have to get a professional involved in this, you're already kind of screwed in most cases.

Obviously, you'll have to know local planning regulations, and whether your purchase requires approval from licensing authorities. In some cases, particularly with old farms and former farmland and such, in many municipalities you may need approval for the purchase depending on who you are, whether you're gonna live there personally and if the sum agreed upon is acceptable. Please read "Lov av 28. november 2003 nr. 98 om konsesjon ved erverv av fast eiendom (Konsesjonsloven) mv." for more.

You should also be aware of any local restrictions on use for the property, whether the property has any unsolvable liens or easements (easements are a big thing in Norway), there's also special easments (løysingsrettar) which are just... untranslatable but can have a massive impact on the property's rights and value.

Then there's property tax, obviously, among other fixed taxes on property including municipal fees etc.

If the property is a part of a co-ownership collective/condominium, it might be regulated after a special condominium law or a general co-ownership law, both of which have a major impact on a lot of the previously mentioned stuff. A particular danger with older co-operative solutions may be that they predate the newer special condominium law (which forbids the use of condominiums not regulated by municipal authorities as security for a loan - obviously a big deal) and may be a so-called irregular condominium collective. This is obviously bad and not great. Also condominium laws cause all sorts of problems in smaller collectives regardless. It's a nightmare.

Then there's the question of (if you're interested in buying a quaint old farm for instance) a very special allodial right called "odelsrett" which allows the decendants of that farmer in some cases to demand the farm from you, at more or less a fair price. This is pretty special to Norway, and I doubt you'll be able to find a single lawyer abroad that can tell you poo poo about it.

A related problem is "boplikt", which simplified means you're obligated to live in certain types of properties within a certain amount of time and for a certain amount of time.

Then there's "driveplikt" which means if you buy a farm you have to run it.

Then there's all the practical questions around possible malfeasance on part of the realtor, which with later year's booming overinflated realestate market has become a significant problem.

And this is all just off the top of my head.

But sure, go ahead and buy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Did I meantion leaseholding? I should have mentioned leasehold estates (tomtefeste). It's another nightmare that's reached aaaall the way to the European Court of Human Rights.

And that's how easy it is to forget something important about realestate in Norway.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is this production cut by Opec going to do much for Norwegian industry?

It's likely to, but how big an impact is anyone's guess. Smart money is getting out if oil regardless, at least long-term, so...

ThaumPenguin posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah. I didn't even get to the interesting bits. Because all those potential issues can be combined in all sorts of fun and creative ways.

Did you know certain easements that have higher priority than liens may survive even a foreclosure of the property? It's one weird fact that banks hate :v: Particularly as easements in Norway encompass a lot of different things.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

How much booze can I get in the duty free on the way to Norway?

Can I wash the godawful taste of lutefisk out of my mouth with four litres of whiskey or am I stuck?

Dude. You need Aquavit for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit

And lots of it.

And also better lutefisk, because that is delicious.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lye fish has no taste per se.

e: Apparently it might be Finnish lye fish is milder in taste than dirty foreign lye fish because we use a different caustic :shrug:

It absolutely does, but the quality varies significantly with the type and quality of fish. I used to dislike it, until I tasted really high-quality (fresh-as-possible) lutfisk. It was tasty as all hell.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you eat it fresh why the gently caress not just eat fresh fish? The whole idea is it's a preserve.

As fresh as reasonable, which is to say not stored for very long. And not frozen.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess they only freeze it because it's usually sold already rinsed/soaked nowadays. People would die by the thousands dozens otherwise.

In Finland? They'd be lucky to kill even one of you.

Did I say happy? I'm sorry, I meant lucky.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen, ignorer kommentarseksjonen

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Government Handjob posted:

A goon - "en skitstövel på internet"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: Who gives a gently caress about Iceland?

I love Iceland :(

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

You're a lawyer and incapable of such emotions.

I have emotions. Money is an emotion.

Iceland is good and cool and has a lot of great people. I love it there and I wish they were part of Norway so we could exchange Nynorsk for Icelandic and be properly norwegian again. I'd also really like the chance to live there for some time, if at all possible (it's not).

McCloud posted:

On that point, what are ya'll doing to secure your retirement? I'm mostly stockpiling cash to be able to buy in to the stockmarket the next time the system/market inevitably crashes. A friend of mine has silver bars at home, which seems a bit cumbersome but still a good backup in case inflation fucks the krona up. I live in the UK now and my employers will match my contribution into my pensions up to a certain % of my salary ( think i put in like 3℅ each month)

Do any of you muck about with your ppm's or is it all in A7 fund?

Retirement? loving Trump just got elected and climate change will cause european or global industrial/economic collapse within 30-50 years. Who gives a poo poo about saving money in a banking system that for damned sure is going to go poof just like under the great depression (only worse)? I'm going to put my money into something less guaranteed to vanish when I turn 70 and the neoliberals completely gently caress us all over, good and final.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jøss, de fant Ligur på gata i Oslo?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

Yes, and it's loving lovely, and I am angry at myself for having paid so little attention to this. That Eastern county, Viken, is just utter madness when it comes to the populations and various regionalities they are just mashing together. And the same basically goes for Hedmark+Oppland and the others as well.

e: This is supposed to be V's proposal it seems like. Smelled of H to me, though I guess they are backing it anyway, and they let V draw up the proposal as a treat to get their backing. Still makes sense, I doubt any prominent politician from V has ever set foot outside Oslo, I'm glad I didn't end up voting for them when I was a dumb teenager attracted to their policies.

e2: Well, elections coming up this autumn. Guess I found myself an issue.

Sounds like you're voting SP. Might not be a bad idea if you don't want more Osloification. It's impressive just how much the Oslo elites don't want any governmental functions moved from the capitol, and are working hard to centralize all power and municipal oversight to Oslo.

Then you realize that a lot of this probably ties into money and the realestate market, because the influx of people to Oslo (you pretty much have to go there to find work if you're educated these days, true for like 80% of my grad class in Uni) is keeping the housing market nice and inflated with people who have the means to pay (to offset all those poors and immigrants who can't). If jobs start trickling out and the pressure on the housing market subsides, the bubble of loan-financed expectation-driven real estate investment in Oslo might suffer. Can't have that, now can we?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Eller kanskje man burde innse at folk ikke er så interessert i verken SV eller Rødt.

Rødt fikk min stemme ved siste valg og fra det jeg ser av signaler fra AP og ubrukelige SV får de den i år også.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Gratulerer med å ha oppnådd absolutt ingenting.

Hva har SV oppnådd de siste 4 år? AP? poo poo, når AP oppnår noenting er det nesten så man ikke ser forskjell på det og Høyre nå til dags.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Retarded Goatee posted:

In the best of worlds, we could all just go gently caress NATO, gently caress CIS and have our own Nordic deterrent. From the glorious fortress of the Socialist Workers Democratic Republic of the Roof of the World we could all just give both Russia and the US the finger untill they come up with some decent policy and seek closer cooperation with the rest of Europe.

I mean, yeah. In a perfect world, a Nordic-centric defence alliance would probably be a good idea. We're pretty isolated up here, but a defence alliance that specialized in fighting in our local conditions could both be militarily beneficial from a strategic and tactical point of view, economically beneficial (homogenizing equipment by producing most if not all of it locally and financing our own R&D), and politically beneficial. Then this alliance would be powerful enough to on its own negotiate a deal with NATO, but be mainly self-reliant.

It would be useful for projecting strength towards Russia, particularly for when they start encroaching on northern/arctic territories and the Baltic sea without having to drag the entirety of NATO into posturing with us, which at this point seems less and less effective. It would also free us from having to participate in military operations on foreign soil. Additionally, it would open the door for a common Nordic border policy stronger and more effective than Schengen, and would allow for the possibility of an economic union that could negotiate with the EU (or what remains of it) as a block of countries.

We'd of course lack protection from the rest of NATO unless we could wrangle that concession somehow. We'd lack a nuclear deterrent, which depending on who you ask is or isn't a good thing.

It makes sense, I suppose. But will it ever happen? I sincerely doubt it. A shame, really, I'd love for a Nordic union to become a reality, the possibilty of living and working in Denmark or Iceland for a time (I know a lot of people do this now, but it'd be easier for everyone). In reality though, right-wingers will tear down our welfare states and we'll be no better than the rest of the world, drifting apart as nations. Shame.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

eightpole posted:

except icelanders i like icelanders

I don't get why everyone incests on icelandics being great, but I guess they have great family values? Have to love the country and the booze though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yea, sure.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's pretty incredible to see people in the age of automation and rampant outsourcing argue with a straight face that if we just throw out a minuscule fraction of of a country's population then those nefarious capitalists surely have no option but to go back to the age of full employment and good wages.

B--but you see, the "immigrants" have j-jobs! And the amount of jobs is zero-sum. M-my culture :qq:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

B--but you see, the "immigrants" have j-jobs! And the amount of jobs is zero-sum. M-my culture :qq:

The traitorous left want to blame our brave capitalists (who have all the money) for keeping money away from us. This is obviously wrong.

The heroic right want to blame it all on destitute economic migrants and refugees (who have no money) for keeping all the money away from us. This makes logical sense and is obviously correct and cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Fake news blir demonstrativt ikke brukt av begge sider av debatten. Høyresida har sausa sammen to forskjellige begreper.
Uttrykk 1: "Fake news" - originalt brukt om ting trukket ut av rævva på artikkelforfattere for å generere klikk og adrevenues.
Uttrykk 2: "Lügenpresse" (evnt. "jüdenpresse" hvis du er gammelnazist) brukt av nynazister/pegida og, mer nylig, kokohøyre om nyheter, som ikke er usanne, men som de ikke liker.
De som bruker uttrykka i dag (dvs. deg) sier "fake news" men mener "lügenpresse".

Hey, dette var et interessant poeng. Hadde jeg faktisk ikke tenkt over, men intet nytt under solen etc.