Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/folketingsvalg/tesfaye-efter-haarde-beskyldninger-om-loeftebrud-fra-stoejberg-og

Matthias Tesfaye in response to Inger Støjberg and Pia Kjærsgaard objecting to kids being moved away from Sjælsmark posted:

The central pillars in Danish immigration policy stand firm.
It is historic, that Denmark gets a new government without a turnaround on the immigration issue. We who support controlled immigration have reasons to be pleased

"Don't worry, we won't change anything. Maybe we'll keep the kids in a slightly nicer camp? We're compromising, so clearly we are the adults in the room!"

I sure was worried Inger Støjberg and Pia Kjærsgaard wouldn't approve of the new government's immigration policy. A stone off my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Bunch of Jewish gravesites were vandalised this weekend. I'm sure the centrists will stand firm against racism and xenophobia.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/stram-kurs-takker-ja-til-holde-partikongres-paa-christiansborg

Henrik Dam Kristensen (S) posted:

Udgangspunktet er, at det er et opstillingsberettiget parti, vi taler om, og hvis de retter henvendelse om, at de gerne vil have et arrangement på Christiansborg, så vil vi selvfølgelig som udgangspunkt være parate til at stille os til rådighed

Not inviting the ethnic cleaning party to have their conference in the Danish parliament building would breach decorum, you see.

quote:

Jeg finder det betænkeligt, at et lovligt, opstillingsberettiget parti således reelt formenes adgang til at afholde et lovligt møde, skrev Søren Espersen, efter at politiet havde nedlagt forbud mod afholdelsen af kongressen i Middelfart
:calmhitler:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Pig-human hybrid Martin Henriksen accused a named offical from the Immigration Service of disloyalty simply because she has dual citizenship. He is backed up by DF foreign affairs spokesman and member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Søren Espersen. He finds it hard to believe she could impartial in cases involving Afghan citizens.

Also Søren Espersen:

Facebook took down Henriksen's post, and then immediately restored it, which the media took as an opportunity to offer Henriksen more airtime to soapbox about censorship and political correctness gone mad.

In other news, the Danish ruling class is showing solidarity with the rest of society during the epidemic, as a result of the unique Nordic model. The state is helping out the rich, spending billions in public aid keeping private businesses afloat. In an equal gesture of solidary for workers, the state is releasing frozen vacation pay, in an attempt to boost consumer spending. Since some welfare recipients don't have any frozen pay, all welfare recipients will receive a 1000 kr. check. Clearly we are in this together.

No, I'm just kidding. There is no transfer of wealth to the working class small enough not to whine about. Neoliberal think tank CEPOS immediately started agitating against this check. The thrust of their argument is hand wringing about the welfare recipients that do have frozen pay, and will receive the check as well.

Here's a thing CEPOS' chief economist said, out loud, where other people could hear him:

Understander of Keynesian Economics posted:

Der er næsten 700.000, som både får i pose og sæk
[...]
Hvis der også er højere ledighed til jul, kan jeg nemt forestille mig, at nogen vil udbetale en julecheck. Hvis der også er en højere ledighed til foråret, vil der være politikere, der vil udbetale en påskecheck. Det vil blive dyrt for skatteyderne.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Journalists are extremely lazy and credulous. Articles will often consist of "CEPOS says X. We've asked a chud from K/LA/DF how they feel about X, and also a centrist from S. We've now heard both possible viewpoints on clearly true fact X. End article."

It's lovely that journalists will introduce them as an "independent liberal think tank", when their funding is not public. No one outside CEPOS knows who is funding them, so for all we know they could be the propaganda arm of e.g. Mærsk. When their CEO was asked about it a few years ago, he said their funders wish to remain anonymous, and that CEPOS would not be able to get funding if they were required to share their list of donors. It's incredible to me how such a quote is not the opening paragraph to any article covering them.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Morten Grunwald

Well poo poo :(

You're right, the list is full of "just asking questions" journos, CEOs, lobbyists and literal aristocrats https://www.cepos.dk/om-cepos/stiftere.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
loving lmao

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/korrespondent-om-milliardregning-til-bankerne-de-er-et-let-offer-og-reelt

In which DR's correspondent graces the reader with insights such as "The banks are making fat stacks now, but maybe they won't be later, and then these taxes will be inconvenient" and "Unlike other industries, the financial sector can't leave the country. They're defenseless."

DR has been posting some powerful succ these last few days. There have been several glowing articles covering the electoral genius of Biden (he appeals to ~both sides~, he even has a Republican speaker at the convention :downs:). They also posted a reading list about the women's liberation movement that included a book by Conservapedia mom Phyllis Schlafly, and did an article on how to be financially independent at 30 (Become a landlord, and buy stocks).

Unrelated, Mette Frederiksen had to be told off for race baiting by one of the doctors servicing the immigrant community, after she decided that the appropriate response to the recent rise in infections in Aarhus was to declare that "There are too many infected with a non-Western background". I guess this is easier than admitting that the government has been doing a lovely job ensuring that service workers (where immigrants are overrepresented) are properly protected, basically just leaving it up to individual companies to have a policy. As far as I know, it's still up to individual taxi companies whether they put any effort into protecting the drivers, or whether it's just business as usual.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
This is a fun bit of propaganda.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/detektor/detektor-russisk-politiker-beskylder-jeppe-kofod-voldtaegt-af-15-aarig

Mette Frederiksen announced a few days ago that she didn't consider our current Minister of Foreign Affairs Jeppe Kofod tripping and falling into a 15-year-old to be disqualifying for a continuing career in politics, and anyway he apologized, so why are you still mad?

Surprisingly this didn't cause people to stop talking about whether Kofod banging someone from his party's youth organization, who was 20 years his junior, might have been an abuse of power.

Let's point out that a Russian said it was rape. Clearly the crazy Russians only say crazy things, like that Danes allow sex with turtles, or that Jeppe Kofod is a rapist. It's just part of Russian state propaganda now, so we can safely ignore it.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Kneppe kofod is a piece of poo poo and in a reasonable country, he would not have been able to continue doing politics, let alone have a triumphant return. As far as russian news goes, then yeah, given the track record you're probably better off just ignoring everything coming out of there, because even if you manage to find the one non-disingenuous, non-propaganda, non oligarch controlled, piece of news that once in a while slips through the net, it's not worth the effort.

Sure, I didn't mean to say that Russian news is worthwhile. I only meant that the media trying to tie the Kofod story to Russian disinformation is a neat trick to try to make the story go away.

SplitSoul posted:

Pia Kjærsgaard, Inger Støjberg and Mai Mercado have spoken out against the "witch hunt" on men following the most recent sexism debate.
Fascists defending the patriarchy. Støjberg criticized Özlem Cekic (among other people) for overstating the problem. Cekic had a pretty amazing anecdote in response:

Özlem Cekic posted:

Özlem Cekic oplevede engang, at en minister 'begyndte at tage lidt om' hende. Og da hun bad ham om at lade være, svarede han ifølge Özlem Cekic: 'Undskyld, jeg glemte, du var muslim'.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Lord Mayor of Copenhagen has to leave his job after three decades of being a serial sex pest, a day after his party voted against an investigation and expressed confidence. Looking good, SuccDems.

Loving that serial human rights abusers from the opposing liberal party, the one that let a convicted pedophile run for office, are now mocking him.

His ejection couldn't have been less graceful. The party overwhelmingly votes to back him, and he does a 40 minute press conference assuring people that he will continue fighting for MeToo, and that he'll seek reelection in 2021.

24 hours later he's out on his rear end, talking about how his retirement is definitely his own choice, and how he's supposed to be :qq:innocent until proven guilty:qq:

Mette Frederiksen kept quiet until this afternoon, at which point she suddenly became ~very concerned~ about the allegations. Not so concerned that she was willing to denounce him, but definitely very concerned.

This is coming only a few days after Morten Østergaard, leader of Radikale Venstre, also stepped down due to allegations. I think that case was handled with a similar eye for comedy, where Østergaard managed to hold a press conference about how the case about an "unnamed offender" was an internal disciplinary matter, and the case definitely would not be discussed further with the press, only to then have to backtrack a few hours later when it leaks to the press that he's the offender.

They've managed to make themselves look like poo poo, and it's hilarious.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

it remains astounding to me how many social democratic bigwigs have managed to forget this basic fact of organisational life

This guy was our Justice Minister back in the nineties :v:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

Since the political parties here are less polarized and mostly supports continuing the current political system, it seems (for an outsider at least) that the difference between the democrats and the republicans is far bigger than between AP and Høyre.

It seems to me to be all theater. The democrat and republican establishments agree on the majority of issues regarding how society should be structured. This is why they focus on morality politics, with the most common wedges being abortion, gun laws and identity issues. That's not to say that those issues aren't important, but when it comes to economic policy or foreign policy, both parties are imperialists and neoliberals. The democrats are already sending up trial balloons for running austerity policies during their next term, using the debt as an excuse.

Given that neither party shows any interest in helping anyone in the working class, I don't think it is terribly surprising that poor people don't turn out to vote, when it is such a pain to do in the US. Why waste 8 hours you probably don't have to spare, to vote for someone who won't lift a finger to help you?

At least here (DK), the parties make some of the right noises before elections, even if they often fail to follow through (e.g. Radikale just gave the government carte blance to drop climate change from their agenda). Since I've never spent more than 5 minutes voting, it's a much smaller investment as well.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
It's when some politicians give another politician a very stern look of disapproval, while mouthing "Bad dog".

Støjberg is clearly deeply affected by it, here she is today showing how much she's grown:

quote:

Regeringen hæver skatter og afgifter for at betale for flere betjente. Man burde have set på, om de penge kunne være taget fra arbejdsløse indvandrere eller SU til udlændinge

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Denmark is doing a more proper shutdown now, with malls being shut as of today, and all shops except grocery stores and pharmacies closing as of the 25th.

This seems like a good decision. People still reacted by immediately rushing to Magasin :v:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

coronatræthed

To be fair, I can kind of understand why some people have started complaining about the recommendations. The Danish strategy has been spot welding, and the rules are a product of horse trading, and are nonsense as a result.

Assemblies are limited to 50... unless it's a sports event, then 500 is fine. Churches of course get to make their own rules.
Exams are too risky to do in person... But going to a bar to celebrate is fine, until 10 in the evening, after which it becomes too dangerous.
Parties with more than 50 people are too dangerous, unless it's a wedding, then 500 is safe. Outdoor funerals are terribly dangerous, so the limit there is 50.
You must wear a mask indoors, and somehow this thing counts as one https://www.kontorland.dk/shop/product/visir-1-2-maske-plast-m-elastik--10
If you get infected, it is vitally important to do contact tracing, which is why it is largely left to the sick person's own initiative.

I think you are more likely to get people to follow a few clear rules, instead of this mess of restrictions and suggestions.

The restrictions are also too weak (or not being followed) to really stop the spread, so the restrictions end up having to be in effect for a long time. A shorter period with a harder shutdown might have seen less resistance from people.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

I don't disagree with any of that, and there's a whole host of other reasons to criticise the government response (i.e., blaming immigrants), except that for a lot of people it does simply boil down to inconvenience. The party that is hammering hardest on the "FREEDUMS" poo poo has rocketed forward to fourth position in polls during this pandemic. That is not a coincidence or down to Minkgate.

I also agree that having an ultimate goal is imperative to making it work. That's what the Australian states did, aimed for eradication and locked down hard. None of this would be out of reach if the political will existed.

Yes. While there is always going to be dumb chuds going "just the flu bro", people were fairly willing to keep their distance early in the pandemic.

quote:

Anyone on welfare, especially people who are only "aktivitetsparate" (a good majority), are currently obligated to attend 4 hours of aktivering every week, in tiny enclosed spaces where masks aren't mandatory except when you arrive and leave. Attendees are directed to use the same single bathroom. Many of these people are also immunocompromised, close to retirement age and/or generally not in their best health.

If we don't make it extremely unpleasant to be unemployed, how will the captains of industry find people willing to work during this period of historically low unemployment?

Had a friend go unemployed for a while some years back, he mentioned that he had to spend 40 minutes each way to aktivering twice a week, to attend courses lasting maybe 2 hours a day. He got the stinkeye from the people running the courses when he suggested that they should run one 8-hour day once every 2 weeks instead. Aktivering is dumb liberal bullshit, and any time people start talking about means testing or "making people work for their welfare", I think about what a colossal waste meaningless make-work like this is.

Edit: It is of course also cruel, but I find that argument usually doesn't work on most people, disapproval of the unemployed is too normalized.

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

John Gustavsson is a conservative writer

Cool, this is coming from some SD dirtbag.

This is a great tactic by SD, point out that the government is mishandling the crisis, without being explicit about what exactly SD would do differently (murder all the browns, presumably).
It's not like it's easy to disagree when the article points out that Tegnell is a fuckup.
I doubt many people will find the argument that the government has to allow the disease to spread due to the constitution very sympathetic.

There is some truth to the idea that Scandinavian countries have a tendency to assume that disasters only happen in other countries. I recall many smug dismissals of the coronavirus in the early days as something that couldn't possibly spread here due to our cultural superiority to The Asians (they don't understand hygiene, our medical science is better than their medical science). I doubt the SD member is complaining that there's too much racism though.

Esran fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 20, 2020

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Kamrat posted:

Wow, people really are gullible, I mean these are mostly rich or well off people that's certainly going to be fine even if they shut the farms down without compensation for the owners.

That's not generally the case. I'm not going to claim that there are no rich farmers that could weather their industry being shut down, but most farmers are in deep debt, and many are operating on a tight budget (for a business). Capitalism is doing a capitalism to them too, and they're on the resource extraction end of the food chain, so lots of the value created there is either going to the banks, or going to the various large companies that handle distribution. Much of the wealth held by the farmers is in their farms, which isn't worth much if their industry gets shut. You can't easily convert a mink farm into a swine farm.

That's not to say that a lot of farmers aren't right wing rear end in a top hat landlords exploiting imported labor, but viewed as actors under capitalism, they aren't (individually) big fish. They often can't walk away from their farms without getting hosed by the banks.

With regard to why the media are covering them sympathetically, farmers are the whiniest industry, and will shut down roads and drive their tractors to Copenhagen at the slightest whiff of a political move being made against them. The solidarity is admirable, even if the farmers don't think of it in those terms.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Very excited about yet another example of liberal politicians being useless at handling this pandemic: Danish churches are being kept open for Christmas gatherings. Churches are apparently separately regulated from all other types of event, so while the cap is 10 on normal gatherings, churches get to stuff as many as they want onto the pews, as long as they can keep a 2 meter distance between visitors.

Church staff and some priests have pointed out that holding these gatherings is a great way to spread the disease, considering that people are going to be coming to church to sing. Unfortunately, priests only get to cancel events if their bishops agree, and the bishops would like to convey the blessings of Papa Nurgle onto the flock.

In a reasonable political environment, the government might have stepped in, told these people off, and closed the churches. Instead, the Very Serious People In Charge are recommending that individuals should stay home if they aren't bad enough dudes to face the disease, and advise that if you're worried, maybe you can hum with your mouth closed instead of singing.

Sweden was right to close the border.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Danish investing company. They immediately set about tearing apart everything that worked and replaced it with dystopian control measures
I'm gonna say this has more to do with the company being an investment company than them being Danish. That type of parasite can come from anywhere. I've seen similar (often American, but sometimes German) companies do exactly the same thing to Danish companies.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I am continually impressed at how idiotic the handling of the pandemic is in some places here in DK.

Mid-December, the government opted to close all shopping centers and (shortly after) all shops that aren't grocery stores. This was cool and good. The implementation of that order has been less than satisfactory. I have a local Fakta with a very tiny shopping center attached (basically just a 20 meter long hallway with shops on either side). To follow the shutdown order, this hallway and the associated entrance to Fakta has been blocked off. This causes that Fakta to have only one entrance, which is the fairly long narrow wheelchair-friendly ramp, so now everyone entering or exiting the store has to walk past each other on this narrow ramp.

This is kind of a dumb way to implement the "close shopping centers" order, but I thought it was just an unfortunate consequence of the order being strict.

I went to a much larger shopping center (Storcenter Nord) today to pick up a package, with the expectation that the center would be largely closed. Instead, all the grocery stores and take-away places in the center are still open, including large shops like Føtex. As far as I could tell, no part of the shopping center has actually been closed, they've just shut the smaller specialty stores. There were hundreds of shoppers there, I don't think the shutdown order has affected traffic through that shopping center at all.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Sure, keeping grocery stores open makes sense. I'm mostly rolling my eyes at how one tiny shopping center has been closed off in a way that is likely to increase infections, while another much larger center hasn't been closed off in any meaningful way.

At Storcenter Nord, you would think they could at least try to control how many people are piling into the center at a time. The density of shoppers I saw today is higher than I've seen since the start of the pandemic. I think there is supposed to be a limit on how many people should be allowed into a store at a time, based on the store's floor space, but people seemed fairly tightly packed anyway.

Edit: Coffee probably falls under take-away.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
It's hard not to laugh at several generations of Tough Military Men melting down about Trine Bramsen (Danish defense minister) using another nomenclature for the role of chief of defense than they would prefer.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/tidligere-forsvarschefer-derfor-nedgoer-bramsen-embedet-og-saetter-general-skakmat

I know that there's a little more to it than that, and some of this unhappiness is because some people in the military feel Bramsen is censoring them, but look at this:

Previous chief of defense, In reference to being called the wrong title posted:

Hvad driver soldater, der dagen efter de har mistet to kammerater i krig, til at gå ud af den samme port og på patrulje i samme område[...] Men skal man derud, hvor man med livet som indsats løser ting, så betyder værdier meget. Og de bæres i det sprog, du bruger

This would fit in perfectly in E/N.

There is also definitely nothing wrong with the army trying to dictate terms to the politician nominally in charge of them.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Rich fucks one year ago:

https://www.danskerhverv.dk/presse-og-nyheder/nyheder/2020/april/sammenhold-er-det-starkeste-hold--en-nation-kan-stille-med/

Rich fucks today:

https://finans.dk/erhverv/ECE12998221/dansk-erhverv-afviser-at-erhvervslivet-er-blevet-hjulpet-under-coronakrisen/?ctxref=ext

I wish Denmark had a Siberia to exile these people to.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, you’re right of course. I was very involved in an international climate organisation at the time, and I do feel like Lomborg was the one who made being a climate sceptic a mainstream position. It’s less about his credentials, but he had more charisma than most of the boring suits and he was one of the first to very credibly pretend to actually care tremendously about the environment. That is, the pretence of taking climate change seriously, and then convincing the every-man that we didn’t need to do anything about it because that the: “oh so complex, don’t worry your little head about it, economic incentives”, would take care of it. Certainly in Denmark that was his role, Bush wholesale copying that approach to his policy made resistance extremely hard.

I think Danish politicians were less willing to outright contradict scientists than US politicians were at the time. Open climate change denial wasn't really popular as I recall.

15 years ago when I was in high school, we were presented to Lomborg as one voice in the discussion on what to do about climate change. I don't remember anyone bothering to point out that he was not a scientist. I belive his argument boiled down to "reducing emissions would hurt growth, the pro strat is to keep emitting, and spot welding the problems as they pop up. The extra growth will easily pay for any problems caused by climate change". Even as a dumb libertarian high schooler, this argument seemed ridiculous. Having a well-spoken presentable scientist-if-you-squint disagree with the consensus let the politicians pretend that there was an ongoing debate, and therefore we should just wait for the scientists to hash it out.

If Lomborg hadn't existed, I'm sure capital would have invented one. Political science departments seem happy to stamp out this kind of concern troll.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Dansk Erhverv is one of the most vile and abhorrent political organisations in denmark, and there is both actual nazis, actual ayn rand libertarians, and the wonderful mixture of both, 'stram kurs' to compete with.

Yes. You would think that if nothing else, they would be smart enough to know that this is bad PR. I guess when you wear a suit and speak in a calm tone, you can say any vile poo poo, and the centrist dogbrains will just nod along.

The article posted:

Flere skatter er ifølge skatteminister Morten Bødskov ikke »det rigtige svar« til at få virksomhederne gennem krisen. »Nu gælder det om at få dansk økonomi helt op i gear igen.«

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
In late stage capitalism news:

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/lokalt/2021-06-12-borgere-kan-faa-ekstraregning-paa-5000-kroner

Farmers poo poo pesticides everywhere, which get into the drinking water supply.
Christiansborg says "Uh, that's probably bad, but we're too busy planning concentration camps, so let's definitely not solve this nationally, let the municipalities handle it"
Aarhus finds pesticide remnants in 40% of their wells, and decide to forbid farmers from using pesticides in areas where it would be likely to get into the groundwater.
Farmers go "lol no, there's no law, pay us 800 million, or we'll keep doing it"
The state agrees with the farmers.

I wonder if I could get set up a tire burning business and get paid to not do it?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Farmers are the most coddled welfare recipients next after the royals.

This doesn't fit with their self-image as strong-man-bootstraps types, so all the support they get from the state is either immediately forgotten, or just the way things are done.

poo poo rolls downhill though, and many farmers are under the thumbs of the banks, and have to compete on price with agribusiness in countries with much shittier environmental/animal welfare standards in the name of Free Trade, so I can see how some of them can come to see themselves as put upon.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why do we even have a separate social democrat party if their whole platform is being racist and giving money to farmers? I thought that was what Venstre was created to do.

Communism isn't a threat anymore, so there's no reason to appeal to workers. Appealing to yuppies and corporations is much more lucrative, and it gets you invited to the nice parties.

If you don't like it, just Vote! You can vote for Venstre who will implement racism and austerity because brown people are lazy moochers and all the welfare queens need to get a job, or you can vote for the Social Democrats who will implement racism and austerity because really smart intellectuals have come to the conclusion that welfare recipients need to be incentivized to get a job, and ethnic minorities have more people out of work than average so we have to tear down their housing, for their own good.

You can also vote for all the smaller parties that will help Venstre and the SocDems implement this policy :v:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

What is happening here is that the farmer's ability to fully produce on their land is permanently damaged (no pesticides means a lot less crops) to preserve water quality.

Yes. You are right that within capitalism, it is totally justified to compensate the farmer, because it is "their land". I'm making fun of/angry at the fact that capitalism is such a garbage system that it justifies paying farmers to not pollute a common resource, that they shouldn't have had the right to pollute in the first place.

A problem like this would shake out pretty much the same in Norway

My point was not that this was a dumb situation unique to Denmark.

Imagine someone came to your job, told you they are cutting your paycheck by 30% but paying you a lump sum of 300 000 DKR. How long until you wind up in the negative on that deal?

I feel like you're arguing against my thinking this is a sweet deal for the farmers. I don't think it is. I think it's ridiculous that within this system, it is justifiable to pay a polluter to stop polluting common resources, just because they used to be able to pollute freely.
You are coming at this from the point of view that polluting this way is a right the farmers have, and ought to have, and so compensating them for the loss of this right is cool and good. I'm saying they should not have had that right at all, and it's bad that we now need to compensate them for the loss of the right they shouldn't have had.

Your analogy is easily extended to other industries. Imagine the state banned fossil fuels from the electrical grid, but paid the affected companies a lump sum. How long until they wind up in the negative on that deal?
I don't think this is a very convincing argument.

This means that the cost of getting water just rose by an appreciable amount. This is a fact of life, of government and of the future

Oh word, this is a problem that everyone has, and that everyone needs to solve to live? It's almost like problems like "access to clean water" should be handled nationally (and funded via taxes), and not be delegated to each municipality as a local problem.

What the farmers are doing isn't considered pollution. Pesticides are a vital component for modern day farming

Yes, and that's dumb. It is very clearly pollution. We need electricity too, but I don't see very many people arguing that burning coal is not polluting. It can be simultaneously true that we need to do a thing, and that that thing pollutes. If capitalism weren't so garbage at pricing things, this would be accounted for in the price of the goods produced.
I'm not arguing that we need to get rid of pesticides entirely either. I don't know if getting rid of pesticides in general is doable, I suspect not. This specific case is just about not using pesticides in a few places where they are likely to get into aquifers.

So while you can't legally ban them from using their land the needful way to make a living, you can eminent domain their land for a compensation that helps alleviate the loss per productive hectar... for a while. And yeah, agriculture takes up a lot of land. Now you know.

You are arguing how things are. Clearly under capitalism you can't legally ban the farmers from using their land in this way. We all agree that this is how things are. I'm pointing out that this is a really dumb outcome, and that the system that produced that outcome is not good, and that this is not how things ought to be.
And thank you for explaining that private property rights exist under capitalism, and that farming takes up land, these are news to me. Love to learn.

And of course, if you disagree with me that farmers need money to live and work or you think pesticides are evil pollution with the sole purpose of killing babies, I got a great way for you to experience what that world looks like: Stop eating.

No one argued this, but yes, this strawman you've invented definitely has bad opinions.

Edit: Removed a bit, no reason for me to be a dick.

Esran fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 12, 2021

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

"You weren't there, man. I know what I'm talking about." (August 8)

lmao

One of the DF turds were suggesting last week that evacuating 50 translators and their families would be an unacceptable "flygtningestrøm", and they should just be left in country. Marcus seems to have a similar opinion.

I enjoyed this take though

Former Defense Minister Søren Gade posted:

Vi tog til Afghanistan for at fjerne det styre, der tillod Osama bin Laden at træne terrorister. Det lykkedes vi med 100 procent.
Sure am glad those Taliban boys aren't around anymore.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
We'll probably see more "it's victory wine"-style takes like Søren Gade's soon, and probably also lots of whining that if only Biden hadn't cut and run, we could have definitely "won" Afghanistan.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
My impression is that most regular people don't think about it very much, and if they do they probably know that the Danish contribution was very minor.

Some politicians like to pretend we're a major player internationally, and not just doing what we're told by the Americans. It's pretty silly when it happens.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

BonHair posted:

"We" did remove the Taliban from power if you want to be super pedantic. It's just that the plan from there was "kill them and use threats of force until they become a Western Democracy" which somehow didn't work.

Also, my favourite take on the transistors is that technically they were hired by private contractors to the British and American militaries, so clearly the fact that they were 100% attached to Danish troops, wore Danish uniforms and were, in actual reality and probably physically, paid by Danish military personnel is irrelevant and they should apply for protection in the UK and USA.

Sure, but even allowing for pedantry that's a bit of a lame defense. If the goal was to remove the Taliban from power, I think he should probably also want them to stay out of power, not pop back in after a 20 years in timeout.

Even a massive racist should know it looks bad to screw over people that helped you during an occupation, I guess we've reached the "late British Empire" stage of competence in the political class.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Danish nurses right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbD1XDhKr8U

A few months ago, the nurses rejected a proposed collective agreement with their employer. The agreement would give them cost of living adjustments (more or less, 5% raise overall) over the next 3 years.

Since the rejection, the nurses have been striking. My understanding is that their employer (the Danish Regions) probably can't choose to pay the nurses more without paying other groups less, I think most of their funding comes from the national government, so increased overall funding would need national politicians to get involved, which the nurses have been hoping they would.

In spite of the politicians tripping over each other to applaud the nurses for working extra during the pandemic, the monkey's paw has curled, and the Social Democrats are now intervening, by ordering the nurses to get back to work, under the agreement they rejected a few months ago.

Since libs get sexually aroused from paying consultants to run commissions, the agreement also sets up a commission to research whether jobs like nursing and other care professions are underpaid compared to traditionally male-held jobs like doctors. The last such commission (in 2010) concluded that they were, which has been studiously ignored by every government since.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Using the patients affected by the strike as an excuse to screw over nurses is some real dirtbaggery. If that shithead cared about patients, he'd work to meet the nursing union's demands. I'm sure it will be good for patients to have overworked, underpaid and frustrated nurses. It sounds like some nurses are considering a passive resistance, where they'll do what is required and no more.

I'm not sure how continuing the strike illegally would go. Cops beating up nurses probably wouldn't go over well. I wish the nurses (and other public sector workers) would try it though, the negotiation model is clearly broken given that this kind of thing keeps happening.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Something something the revolutionaries becomes the facto ruling class (see S in Sweden).
Or why communist countries were known for their secret police.

Since Marx had no idea on how to reach socialist utopia in practical terms, this is where the revolution ends.
And since the left refuses to learn from history, they also don’t learn from past mistakes, so this won’t change.

:allears:

Unless you're asserting that the working class became the ruling class (in which case: lol), this seems like a pretty straightforward instance of divide and conquer by capital. The current Danish model is very clearly trying to get the nurses to fight the other worker groups over how the fixed pool of money should be divided, instead of fighting capital over the size of the pool.

Communist countries are "known for" their secret police because that's a convenient concern troll for anticommunists, so it is brought up frequently. Most countries repress dissidents to some extent. Intelligence services regularly monitor or infiltrate dissident organizations, e.g. during COINTELPRO. The monitoring of web traffic in/through DK by FE (and the NSA by extension) is really just an evolution of the Stasi letter-resealing machine.

Some secret police forces are more repressive than others in terms of disallowing dissent, but even then I don't think communist countries are necessarily any more brutal than capitalist societies. I have not heard of Vietnam's secret police doing lots of crimes against humanity. Many dictatorial non-communist regimes (Pinochet or the House of Saud for example) have murderous secret police forces. The US is also "known for" extensive surveillance and poor treatment of dissidents, and they don't seem very communist to me.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Stasi and Säpo, two organizations absolutely comparable when it comes to oppression and terror.

Please reread the post. That was not what I was saying.

I was saying that secret police/domestic intelligence services exist in most countries in some form, but the level of repression is very variable. Not all communist countries have Stasi-style secret police, and several non-communist countries have that type of organization, so Cardiac going "Silly lefties, commies = Stasi, amirite guys" is a Bad Post.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I guess I'm not putting what I'm trying to say across correctly then, if that's what you got out of it.

The Stasi are not comparable to Scandinavian secret police. I'm not saying they are. Here are the points I was trying to make, in list form:

1. A secret police function exists in liberal democracies, which are not styled after the Stasi (abductions or torture are not used), but which do perform mass surveillance and may perform political repression against groups that threaten the current social order.
2. Many non-communist countries have very repressive secret police forces, so this type of organization is not unique to communist countries.
3. Some liberal democracies have secret police that are very repressive against certain political groups (e.g. COINTELPRO, War on Terror), so political repression by secret police is not something that does not happen in liberal democracies.
4. Not all communist countries have Stasi-style secret police. As far as I know, Vietnam has never had secret police in the Stasi vein.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I'll admit to skimming the Deng and Xi parts, but just wanted to say I really liked this effortpost. The JFK and Olof Palme parts are a bit too conspiracy theory for me, but the rest seems solid.

Speaking of social fascists, Tesfaye is now chanting "build the wall", so that's great I guess.

SplitSoul posted:

The founder of the Danish Socialist People's Party was literally a CIA agent who ratted out his former comrades in the Communist Party.
I did not know this. I don't know much about him, but assuming the wiki page about him is somewhat accurate(?), I'm not sure I can blame him for being fed up with the Soviets by the late fifties. At that point, he's seen the Soviets be willing to work with Nazi Germany, lost a party member to a Soviet prison over ideological disagreements, had several near misses himself, and then Tito's Yugoslavia suddenly looked like it might provide an alternative to working with the Soviets. Losing a guy who was that willing to make excuses for the Soviet Union seems like a big self own by the Soviets tbh.

Him informing on other party members to the CIA was lovely though.

Also lol

The wiki posted:

Although the CIA operation was illegal under Danish law, the Danish intelligence agencies promised not to intervene in return for transcripts of the debriefings
Just the best people.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Not sure that's sufficient cause to join up with the loving CIA, especially if you consider working with nazis a dealbreaker.

Yes, I agree. I'm just saying he doesn't seem to have become a snitch out of nowhere.

V. Illych L. posted:

what is it that you imagine that you're accomplishing with these pointless platitudes

I was dumb enough to bite on his last shitpost, causing a bit of a derail. Sorry.

There have been short wildcat strikes among nurses in both Aarhus and Roskilde this week. It is just two hospitals so far, and the strikes only lasted for an hour each, but clearly the government forcing and end to the strike is not being received well.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
"Your honour, this dangerous jaywalker is a Goon, so please throw him in jail forever tia"

:thunk:

Maybe we should hear them out?

Potrzebie posted:

Anyone even remotely leftist doing a klotter will be labelled a member of the well known international terror organisation AFA and be judged extra harsh. Any right wing terrorist doing a violent crime will be excused because he wasn't part of NMR at that moment but rather just a concerned citizen jumping on the head of a brown while screaming obscenities.

This seems like the likely outcome. They'll probably make sure that "gang" is defined to only include scary brown people gangs, while Hells Angels end up being classified as a "Motorcycle enthusiast association".

Denmark pulled something similar a few years ago by enacting a law that punishes crime extra hard if it happens in a "ghetto", and then defining "ghetto" as only being those areas where the majority are "non-ethnic-Danes" (i.e. brown). We're still more overtly racist than you :smuggo:

Some Danish nurses are continuing to strike illegally, striking for an hour here and there. All their representatives seem to be hand-wringing about how illegal this is, and the regions are predictably being like "but the patients". I hope they succeed, the game is obviously rigged when they try to negotiate within the law.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sygeplejersker-i-ulovlig-strejke-bare-proev-fyre-os-saa-vil-sundhedsvaesnet-jo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It's insanely bizarre to have your "left-leaning" government tell us, that we're not a collective and should know our place. And if we can't find 37 hours of work, we can pick up cigarette stubs at the beach.
They're actually saying that we are a collective, and how dare you not contribute at all times.

gently caress these people.