Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

lol

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/g7krR0/tor-mikkel-wara-gaar-av

Norwegian MoJ steps down after his significant other organized a false flag operation against themselves, culminating in lighting their car on fire.

That sound some of you might have heard last night was me laughing like a hyena for a solid ten minutes about this particular gem. At this point, I'm actually looking forward to who the next FrP fuckup in the position will be, and how they will inevitably cock things up and be forced to resign. If we could just keep rotating the post like this, they won't have anyone left by the time the next national election hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Oh hey!

He lasted a bit over a month and change, didn't he, before he pissed off not just the entire rest of Stortinget, but also... Russia.

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/russland-reagerer-kraftig-pa-kallmyrs-8-mai-tale/71066743

Dagbladet posted:

Vi mener slike uttalelser er blasfemiske. Herr Kallmyr fant ingen takknemlige ord til de sovjetiske soldatene som frigjorde Europa og Norge fra nazismen, forvrengte Sovjetunionens rolle, krenket minnet til dem som kjempet mot fascisme uavhengig av deres politiske tilhørighet, skriver presseattaché ved den russiske ambassaden i Oslo, Timur Chekanov, i en e-post som ble sendt til Dagbladet og andre mottakere natt til lørdag.

Han gjør det klart at ordene fra Kallmyr er spesielt sensitive i forkant av markeringen av 75-årsdagen for frigjøringen av Øst-Finnmark 5. oktober 2019. Etter planen skal Russlands utenriksminister Sergej Lavrov delta under markeringen i Kirkenes sammen med kong Harald og statsminister Erna Solberg.

Vi håper at de kommende arrangementene ikke bare skal bidra til å bevare minnet om de dagene, men også bidrar til å styrke vennskapet mellom landene våre. Våre planer blir ødelagt dersom jubileumsinnholdet skal bestemmes av personer som uttaler slik herr Kallmyr gjorde, skriver Chekanov.

Can we just rename the ministry of Justice the ministry of Poetic Justice, at this point? I can not imagine the foreign-ministry being well pleased with this.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: they'd never get statehood. It's be unincorporated territory all the way.

Be fair. They'd become a state the moment the Inuit population had been thoroughly genocided and the US had moved enough psychotic republican voters there.

e: Jammen for fanden. Seriøst? På samme tid?

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 22, 2019

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

an interesting point here is that everybody loves the libraries - they're legitimately the most popular institution in norway, at least. this means that directly and openly attacking them is very difficult, hence the whining about core tasks etc

And boy do we know how to use that popularity to our advantage when necessary, believe me. There have been rumblings in my local municipality about us for a while, but somehow it never goes anywhere because the moment it crops up again, we start talking openly about how we'll have to cut back on opening-hours or services if they gently caress any more with the budget.

It's just really loving draining to have that fight every so often.

Also also, if anyone tries to start limiting who gets to borrow books based on ethnicity, you're going to see a secondary, off-the-books, clandestine library system pop up so fast it'll make your head spin. Pretty much every other librarian I've ever met is in this job because we believe, religiously, that everyone should have access to literature, movies, art, and knowledge, for free, and we're not going to let mere racist laws stop us.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

While it's fun to watch Sweden's political class step on the rake again and again, let's not leave out Norway. Our politicians can gently caress up too!

Some of you may recall that in 2019, a VG journalist did a documentary-series about "gay conversion therapy", and how it was actually A Thing that did, in fact, happen. This caused a bit of a to-do, politically, and the government, led by Høyre, promised that this would be dealt with. A ban on this poo poo would happen.

So they gave the task of working out the policy of banning GCT to the Ministry of Culture, since their coalition-partner, Venstre, had suggested that it handle all LGBTQI-related policies. The reason that the Ministry of Culture got that particular responsibility, is that the - massively homophobic - leader of Kristelig Folkeparti, Kjell Ingolf Ropstad was appointed to the head of the Ministry of Children and Families, which had previously been responsible for LGBTQI policy, and the man couldn't bear to even be mildly adjacent to us goddamned perverts.

And then, for two years, there was utter silence. Nothing. Not a thing.

Until last week, when the government spent the last few days of loving Pride month promising a ban.

Well, today they dropped the preliminary text of their proposed legislation, which is now soliciting comments from the public.

And it's... not good.

Basically, as it stands, and unless amended? The proposed law would ban GCT completely for children under the age for 16, but they're iffy on whether they need to ban it up to 18. Furthermore, as long as there is 'genuine consent' ( a term that even I, a non-legally educated bi dumbass can work out how to get a loving oil-platform past ), it'll be A-Ok to offer, and market the practice to adults.

So, uh.

Instead of a ban, they basically just regulated it and legalized it.

Hooray.

e: If y'all want to look at it and can read Western Scandimoon, here's the link to the proposed 'ban':

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/dokumenter/horing-forslag-til-regulering-av-konverteringsterapi/id2862957/

e2: It should be noted, that Til Helhet, one of the primary groups that worried that they might be affected by and run afoul of this legislation, are perfectly fine with it and ready to have it become law right this moment, please and thankyou, my word yes.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 2, 2021

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

That's a big yikes! How the hell did they arrive at that?

Kristelig Folkeparti ( Direct translation: The Christian People's Party. Moderate-to-conservative christian democrats. ), basically. They had an internal struggle about whether they should move towards the left or the right of Norwegian politics, and the ones wanting to move to the right won. This is how Kjell Ingolf Ropstad got to be the Minister of Families and Children, where, as I mentioned, he immediately decided to get rid of every last scrap of the Ministry's political portfolio that had anything to do with LGBTQI+ stuff. And I cannot emphasize this enough; He hates us so much that he would willingly reduce his own Ministry's power to avoid dealing with us.

Because apparently, LGBTQI+ people might be able to get married, but by God, he will never acknowledge that this makes our families 'okay'.

And, since our country runs on coalition governments, he and his party could basically block anything they didn't like on the GCT front until what we got was... that thing.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

even Ap couldn't miss

And didn't, you'll be pleased to know. Trettebergstuen slammed it immediately.

Like... I know that we're more likely than not to end up with an 18 year age-limit and a marketing-ban, and maybe even a requirement for anyone that wants to go through with GCT ( for whatever reason ) to be told, explicitly, that it does not work. But for the government, especially Raja, who's been saying loudly for a while now that not only does the government and Raja personally want a ban, they are going to ban it, to not just go for the 18 year age limit and a ban on marketing immediately is just... asinine.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Yeah.

I mean, I didn't expect that we'd get a full on, total, "no-one can do this ever, to anyone" type of ban, but I had at least expected something closer to "no GCT to anyone under 18, and you can't loving advertise it, or anything remotely like it" instead of... this poo poo. Still, this quote from Aftenposten is hilarious.

Aftenposten posted:

KrF gir en lunken støtte, men sier de vil avvente høringssvarene fra trossamfunnene.

Samtidig sier en sentral KrF-kilde at forslaget i praksis innebærer at konverteringsterapi for første gang blir regulert som en lovlig aktivitet i Norge.

Statsministeren liker ikke den fremstillingen:

And for those who're english-speakers and reading this thread:

Aftenposten posted:

KrF gives tepid support, but say they will await reactions from faith-groups.

At the same time, a central KrF source says that the proposed legislation for all practical purposes, means that the gay conversion therapy for the first time will be regulated as a legal activity in Norway.

The Prime Minister does not like that portrayal:

Source: https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/politikk/i/qAzXpm/regjeringen-vil-forby-homoterapi-for-barn-vil-fortsatt-tillate-det-f

No poo poo she doesn't like someone in KrF being honest about the proposal.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

i would like to note that i made a relatively big post on the norwegian election at the very end of the previous page, if anyone's interested

Thank you, fellow card-carrying commie!

All I can add is that it looks like solid analysis to me, especially the H/KrF segment. I'm not entirely sure SP's collapse is entirely due to diluting their message for Oslo, though. If I were to hazard a guess. launching Vedum as a candidate for prime minister smacked a bit too much of hubris for at least some people, but admittedly, that's based on anecdata.

Fingers crossed for getting above the cut-off. 5 % would be amazing, but I'll be happy with enough to get a proper cohort into parliament. If KrF drops out aside from direct mandates, that'd be icing on the cake.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Groke posted:

KrF below the cutoff is a delicious thought and FrP smaller than SV would make me smile for a whole day.

(I do have a few friends around my age, i.e. 40-something, who are both churchgoing Christians and also politically active; they all vote SV and wouldn't touch KrF with an eleven-foot pole. Jesus, if he existed, wasn't no loving moralizing conservative.)

I doubt that FrP will drop below SV ( this time ) but inshallah KrF will, indeed, fall below the cutoff, and that will make it entirely worth it.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

I guess I am cynical enough to hope all 4 get above the 4%, so that AP, SV and SP will need Rødt or MDG in votes.

I see that, but in all honesty, the shocking mendacity and terrible political craftsmanship of using abortion, of all things, in a political horsetrade between H and KrF as the price for KrF to enter a government they had sworn they wouldn't join, needs to be harshly rebuked. And while sending the KrF below the cutoff might not get the message across, no-one can pretend that it wasn't, in fact, sent.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Krf under 4 hallelujaaaaa

My genuine thanks to Lippestad & co in Sentrum for grabbing enough votes to gently caress KrF over. May they continue to grow, because I do think we need a christian democratic values party.... I just don't think it should be KrF, who has been trying to weld together the coalition of more progressive christians and our own version of Y'all Qaeda ( though the latter have mostly split off and gone to De Kristne ) with terrible results.

The kind of genteel fundamentalism and homophobia that Ropstad champions is too weak for the real fundies and too brazen for anyone decent, so best there be an end on't.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 14, 2021

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

He's back?

Yes. Yes he is. It's honestly amazing, and kind of admirable in a dark, morbid, eldritch horror way; His political career just will. Not. Die.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hainn Who Must Not Be Named

That e' itj dead which can eternal lie, sjø'.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Not as bold as strategy as the one Rødt is using where the main goal seems to be disliked by everyone.

I know, but please believe me that some of us are trying to tamp down the worst of it.

e: Not that couple of the speakers at the current landsmøte hasn't made me want to :suicide:

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Wibla posted:

Maybe it would be better if you went back to the proud communist tradition of :commissar: instead? :haw:

Much as I'd like to, we really can't. ( I am, of course, joking. )

To be clear, I'm not in any position of influence, and I'm following the webcast of the meeting, but Jesus loving hopalong Christ could the dumb fuckers like Mobasheri maybe try and not make things more difficult for my local? Is it really too much to ask?

e: Doesn't help that Moxnes apparently can't or won't call him on it, either.

e2: v You're not wrong.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 23, 2023

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Thank.

You.

loving.

God.

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/politikk/i/Xbe9yo/roedt-snur-aapner-for-vaapenstoette-til-ukraina

Aftenpoften posted:

Med 106 mot 73 stemmer vedtok Rødts landsmøte søndag å åpne for våpenstøtte til Ukrina.

Det var et overraskende stort flertall for forslaget, som Rødt-leder Bjørnar Moxnes har gått inn for.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't see how we don't approve of a libya intervention under the present line. the party line during the actual libyan intervention was arming the rebels rather than direct intervention as-is (imo clearly wrong policy, but it's a historical fact - regime change was the official line, the objection was that the intervention was seen as a NATO-imperial project); there now seems to be no principled reason not to use norwegian military force in a multilateral way to achieve the same ends. the leadership's official line is even that the armaments process has nothing to do with NATO since the NATO bureaucracy is not directly involved; this makes something like libya much easier to swallow so long as it's not in an explicitly NATO-based context, which it can always be argued that it isn't. in fact, several people have been arguing that libya and the yugoslav interventions were not NATO-based conflicts along the same lines while SV were debating the NATO issue.

we'll see how it goes. i certainly have no intention of letting the TLM3101s of the party have too easy a time of it.

Nor would I expect you to. In this case, opening up for arms to Ukraine is - at least from my standpoint - about arming a nation that's under assault by another. If it's wrong to just stroll into a country when the US does it, it's wrong when Russia does it. And we can discuss the finer point about how many angels can dance on the head of the head of this particular foreign-policy pin, but the fact remains that Putin decided to invade Ukraine, and the Ukranians backed the government when it decided to fight the invasion. We can argue back and forth about NATO and the US and 'provocations', and what they've done before, but at its core, this question is about : Do we send arms to support another nation in its struggle against foreign aggression?

After thinking about it a great deal and trying to consider all my own biases, conscious and unconscious, I landed on yes, in this instance we should. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like that is a different thing than picking a side to support in a civil war as in Libya.

And, as Alhazred says, this isn't some esoteric point of debate. The reason I'm thanking God that enough people voted to send arms isn't that my side 'won' or that now the door is open so that we can cackle evilly and bless imperialist invasions in the future, it's because I hope that in this one, single, specific instance, this will help the people being invaded fight off the invaders and make a negotiated settlement happen sooner rather than later.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Alhazred posted:

A cop beats up someone while the other cop deletes the evidence:
https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/politiet-slettet-bevis/79109005

shockedpikachu.jpg

Police brutality, you say?! Surely not! In Norway?!

ed: For some dark comedy, here's how PolitiForum describes the brutal assaultevents caught on tape:

absolute fascists at PolitiForum posted:

Flere av kameratene til vedkommende som politibetjenten prøver å skaffe kontroll på går inn i situasjonen og forsøker å hindre politifolkene i sitt arbeid.

At least they're... honest?

V. Illych L. posted:

one thing which made me raise my eyebrows, for instance, was the suspiciously convenient timing of the release of the anti-paedophile dark room case in 2016 just as the fallout from the "monika"-affair - another genuine, wild scandal where the police just didn't bother investigating the murder of an eight-year-old and covered it up - was playing out. there will never be any real evidence of this, but some journalist really should look into whether dark room was publicised as a matter of PR control.

Oh, it absolutely was. Like... That case-unit had been going on for years at that point, steadily catching abusers and CSAM-distributers, all nice and neat and covert, but suddenly they just had to go public with this previously fairly clandestine and secretive operation. They've been doing the same thing - kind of - with the whole brouhaha around the NNPF, if you've noticed.

Incidentally, if you haven't already, you should read the book about the "Monika" case by the guy who blew the whistle. Getting the insider's view makes the whole thing even more buck loving wild.

ed2: Oh, wouldn't you know it? Current headline on Dagbladet is about the most recent development in a sexual abuse case from 2020. Weird how that keeps happening when the police gently caress up!

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 28, 2023

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm sorry, whenever I see a picture of Knugen, I start hearing what sounds remarkably like radio-static for some reason.

Also, yeah, "first fifty years" Jesus Christ. They probably have some eldritch brain-parasite ready to puppet him so he can just keep going and going and going.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, considering that the third Statsråd from the current government here in Norway just got done for not recusing themselves/doing shady poo poo, I think this just got really, really relevant again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXXRCkJVNw

( For those keeping score, that's three people getting caught out doing unethical stuff, and two now out of government. )

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

RIP moxnes, thought of sunglasses and died

As god drat stupid as it is, at least he did the sane thing and stepped down so Martinussen could take over before election-season gets into gear. So, we should be thankful for small mercies, I guess.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah it was a complete meltdown where he kept changing the story. it's very strange, because he's traditionally been very, very good at press management - i think he might genuinely just have panicked and started flailing once the story became a story

Honestly, this is why I actually kind of believe him when he says that he wasn't thinking and panicked, because it's all so god drat stupid, and we know he's better at handling press-related matters.

Doesn't changed the fact that he lifted the drat glasses, tho'.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

kristjansson is basically a clever and articulate guy who is also a massive gently caress-up. that is the key to his entire political persona and why he's popular: he is a demonstration that you can, in fact, be an rear end in a top hat and a mean drunk etc and be on the left.

idk what torstein dahle ever did to ulvir, though. my impression is that ulvir is just a couple of steps to the right of where rødt's left wing is, and interprets this as those people being morally flawed for some reason

Somewhat anecdotally, Kristjansson is popular among non-Rødt voters because he's all that and capable of making self-deprecating jokes about it. I've discussed politics with people who'd never vote Rødt in their lives, and they'd still grudgingly admit that Mimir's likeable enough. He's also made it very clear that he's aware that he's too big a gently caress-up to ever be a leader of the party, though.

Mobasheri probably wants the job, but Martinussen's in it, and she's committed to continuing the line that Moxnes began - no surprise, since she co-wrote it - and while I don't think she wanted to get the job in this way, I don't see her just quitting now that she has it.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

:suspense:

I'm looking forward to how this is going to shake out! Hope it'll be easily searchable.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I wasn't aware Jesus had gone missing!. :dadjoke:

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Fun fact for those who might be interested in the future? Local politics is kind of like posting on the forums, except you do it in the local newspaper and you can't straight up call someone a motherfucker, you have to be subtle with the insults. And you may have to pester the mods to let you post. :v:

God knows how things will end up, and it's been goddamn stressful, but I've actually enjoyed myself, too.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Mordekai posted:

You think our generation will have any semblance of livable retirement homes? Lol, LMAO even.

Part of the reason I got involved in local politics to begin with is to fight as hard as I can so that we might be able to save a retirement for ourselves and maybe even our kids.

Yeah, I know I'm an idiot.

I'm still going to give it a try.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

All right. That's it. Campaigning is done. Now it's all up to the voters. I doubt we'll get in, but we made a good fist of it and together with the rest of the center-left to us right out on the wing, managed to get Høire to run away from and talk about *any* other issue than the one they'd wanted to talk about, so I'm drat pleased.

I'm going to kick back and relax until 9 pm Monday when the early vote results come in.

And if y'all haven't yet.... Vote. It actually does matter. It's not sufficient, sure. But it does matter.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

local elections are not looking enormously promising. looks like the broader bourgeois side is going to win a fair amount of cities and towns

Yeah, Høyre actually leapt ahead massively here. We did a decent showing despite it all. Didn't get in, but I didn't really expect to, and we did better than several close and neighboring municipalities.

I think the reason this happened is a combination of things, but if I were to guess a whole lot of it is, genuinely, down to basically this:

Wibla posted:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone... Local elections are at least in part a trial run for the big one two years down the line and the current government has basically made it a sport to step on rakes, so :shrug:

Not helped by the fact that national politicians and the national press are desperate to insert themselves into the local elections and make them exactly the kind of referendum on national politics that local elections shouldn't be. Ah well. I have four years to sit on the outside and lob rocks at the bastards.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Høire gonna Høire. Lol.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/erna-moter-pressa-om-aksjehandelen-til-sindre-finnes-1.16558663

This makes Moxnes' little escapade look charmingly quaint in comparison.

vv: I know, right? What a mystery!

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 15, 2023

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm sure it'll come as a great relief to everyone that Høire has investigated how Høire and the leader of Høire acted with regards to the whole stock-trading scandal, and that Høire has done everything correctly.

Hooray!

I, for one, am glad that we can now put all this behind us and move on.

https://borsen.dagbladet.no/nyheter/hoyre-dette-er-tidslinja/80221886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Well, yeah, no-one's very impressed.

I've seen opinion-pieces in Aftenpoften, Dagens Næringsliv and... basically every single newspaper except the local one, that are basically calling bullshit. Aftenpoften in particular seem like they're trying to cleanse themselves of any accusation of bias ( ha, ha, ha ):

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/po...artiet-utelater