Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Is the OP of this thread still a reasonable overview of Norwegian politics? I'm watching the election with a friend tonight and want to have at least a vague idea of what's going on.

Also I discovered today that you can't buy alcohol in shops here on election day. What the hell is wrong with this country and which party will fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Alhazred posted:

Depending on where you live that's no longer true.
Sadly appears to be the case in Tromsų anyway.

MacPac posted:

Just go to your local pub and drink while watching dreams get crushed tbqh
That's the plan!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Visited the bar that's hosting SV in Tromsø, pretty good atmosphere despite the results. Now in the Venstre bar, there were about 6 people before we arrived lol, including the local candidate.

So is this a bad result for the left? Looks like although the left coalition is going to lose all parties except AP have gained, and every right party has lost votes & seats overall.

I don't know enough historical context to know if this is expected or a devastating defeat.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol I just met some young H campaigners and young Tories look like young Tories in every country apparently. There must be a breeding farm somewhere.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sweden finally overtaking Norway and moving up to the big league, gratulerer. :sweden:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Germany has a longer coastline on the Baltic than on the North Sea too, its current category seems a little suspect. I suggest adding the Netherlands if you want to fill out the North Sea league a bit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Objection! We do travel to countries outside of Scandinavia, like Spain - where we have established finnish diasporas so you don't accidentally experience the local culture.
There are ghettos in Spain for just about every country in Northern Europe where old people live and avoid the local culture. From this I can only conclude that Spanish culture must really suck, cos you sure don't see exclusively Spanish communities in the UK or Norway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cardiac posted:

Any sane person thinks about emigrating from Sweden (and rest of Scandinavia) during November to February for very obvious reasons.
It is not so much immigrating to a new country like Spain as it is getting out of the dark, windy, rainy, cold hell otherwise known as winter in Scandinavia.
Yeah, I know. :)

I have to say the winter here in Midt-Norge seems a lot shittier than when I lived in Tromsø. At least in the North it rarely rains and you have good ski conditions from November until June. Here it's mostly just rain, sleet, slush and ice - it's like being back in Scotland. I'm hoping the summers will make up for it but I'm not optimistic.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like people have already taken it upon themselves to relax over Easter. I'm still working and Trondheim centre seems packed. Lots of families with children especially - parents have apparently made the decision that staying at home with their kids any longer is worse than the virus.

e:
Maybe that was a bit strong. Probably it just looks like a lot of people because it's been so quiet lately, and I'm sure most are being sensible. And of course it's reasonable to take the kids out cycling, or for a walk along the fjord or whatever. It's just seeing two parents and three children going on a family trip to Coop and feeling perhaps that's a little unnecessary.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 6, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Where would we even find that many steam looms nowadays? And modern apartments have completely ruined the demand for chimney sweeps.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

PederP posted:

Children are good at computers
With old style IRL sports all cancelled, could it finally be time for eSports to go mainstream?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you want your kids to grow up to be computer janitors, Gentoo still exists and will run on most computers, games consoles and mobile devices. For a certain definition of "run".

Alternatively they might become Luddites who shudder in horror at the sight of a screen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Are we really going to go ahead with gradually reopening everything in Norway from the 20th onwards? So far things have apparently been kept comparatively well under control here with restrictions that are pretty mild compared to a lot of places, it seems bizarre at a time when the virus is really only ramping up in Europe to release those restrictions entirely.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It makes a lot of sense to reopen kindergarten and allow children to get infected, because like the expendable retired they aren't economically productive in any case and kindergarten staff are worthless without children to teach. Actually most people don't reach their highest earnings until their fifties, so we might as well send everyone below that age back to work as normal; sacrificing them in the name of keeping the real drivers of the economy safe is just smart governance. Honestly just execute anyone with an income below 10 million NOK per year, that should increase both average earnings and GDP per capita plenty and put Norway well ahead of the curve in terms of economic recovery. Someone give Erna my number, I've figured it all out.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Then there's all the people who just stay home and try to weather this because they don't want to risk going to the hospital if they're not infected, or because treatment will bankrupt them, who end up dying at home.

I guess without really thinking about it I had vaguely assumed that even the US government would step in to cover the costs of treatment of a pandemic. I realise now that that was stupid of me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

PederP posted:

e: I'm basing my insane predictions on the Chinese lockdowns and the WHO estimates. Remember several WHO experts have stated that 5%-20% will die if you fail to contain this. I know WHO are not exactly a beacon of truth. But hey, I'm a pessimist.

Did they say this recently? Because that is certainly not the official advice from the WHO, isn't anything like the mortality rates among infected people we've seen anywhere, and is such a huge range that I wonder what information it could even be based on other than wild guessing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know some of my WFH colleagues are not sending their children back to kindergarten despite them reopening and that you no longer get sick days for keeping them home. I can't say I would much blame them if they're just switching to writing down childcare time as working time as a result.

e: ^^ As a foreigner I don't know much about NHO's history, and indeed I still don't really understand Norway's collective bargaining arrangements, but why would you expect anything other than encouraging scabs and union breaking from an employers' organisation?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 24, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

PederP posted:

Ordoliberalist thinking is that a strong union is a benefit to the employers' organisations. They foster social stability, act as a single point of negotiation for far-reaching reforms impossible to carry out swiftly in a less centralized economy, etc. Ordoliberalism has been on the way out in Scandinavia for a while. As unionization goes down, the benefit of a corporatist labor market disappears for the employers (having a small number of non-unionized employee is beneficial for pressuring wages and working conditions - but too many and the cost of collective agreements outweight the benefits).

Globalist employers don't want strong nation labor unions. Ordoliberalists do. There is a big shift towards globalism and using near/outsourcing as a means of cost reduction and strategic leverage. Post-Corona this is likely to change, imo. I expect a resurgence of Ordoliberalist adherents in Scandinavia (and Germany, but it's always been strong there).

Thank you for the explanation!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was not being sarcastic, your post gave me some good starting points for further reading. Much as I prefer living in Norway to my home country, I don't really understand the political history of the place and it's hard to leave behind my assumptions on how things work based on how they do in the UK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Setting off 17. mai fireworks to frighten away Danish spirits.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Great Britain?
You could probably convince the Shetlands back into the fold and turn Lerwick into the world-leading metropolis it was always meant to be.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Randarkman posted:

It's probably one of those fake towns where the nature is really pretty, but only children and old people live there and the only establishment in the town is a gas station and a Joker housed in an ugly concrete building.

An eerily precise description of "Norges vakreste sted", Reine, except it's only a Circle K not a Joker.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zzulu posted:

Apparently all of Scandinavia has tales of The Swede yet I never hear anything about norwegians or danes

Sometimes I hear of drunk fins
Visit Sopot on a Saturday evening and you can hear more drunken Norwegian being spoken than Polish. Generally you can fly to Gdańsk and back, get a hotel and enough beer to black out an entire weekend for the equivalent of three drinks and a kebab in Norway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Another tale of overbearing unions getting in the way of entrepreneurs and bringing down a successful business.

Sorry, GyverMac, that sounds awful.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Katt posted:

Finland is Puerto Rico.

Minus the sunny beaches, good food, beautiful people, pleasant language etc.

I don't know about the rest, but who considers Spanish pleasant? Must be one of the most grating languages to come out of Europe, and there is some pretty decent competition.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

teen witch posted:

And get this, Spanish in Spain sounds different than Spanish in other Spanish speaking countries

Yeah I know, unfortunately AFAIK it's a malformed whine in all its many forms. It's a shame the solid, dependable tones of Portuguese didn't catch on across more of the Iberian peninsula, what a world we could have had.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

F4rt5 posted:

To me Portuguese is like Danish
I know we're all getting a bit heated here but please let's not say things we can't take back.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have to go to Sweden soon, I hope they will let me out again.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Katt posted:

Plus when a future Danish government deports you for the crime of being foreign after having spent a few months in a tent camp. You'll be like "Yeah I speak English and Danish now so I got that going for me"

Just think of all the opportunities you'd have waiting for you in, uh, Nuuk?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What policy is most effective rather depends on what outcomes you're aiming for as well. It could be that Norwegian local authorities have different goals in responding to coronavirus than the national government.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My experience working in tourism when I first came to Norway is that if your industry is outside of the collective bargaining agreements you will be treated like poo poo, have no job security, be paid badly in the first place and with plenty of opportunity for the employer to claw back more. Examples of that that I experienced or heard about included requiring you to undergo unpaid training, being present at work and "on call" without pay, having to buy work clothing from the employer, in some cases even having to accept "free" employer provided accommodation (with a commensurate reduction in wages, of course). This is an area with a lot of foreign workers, many of whom won't stay in Norway more than a season or two. Consequently they don't know what rights they might have, and anyway have a strong incentive to just take what money they can in the few months they're working and leave without rocking the boat.

Not so many Norwegians are working in this area and even most of the companies in my experience were foreign owned and run, so maybe there is no big desire in Norway to improve this situation. It's probably much like seasonal foreign agricultural workers. I can imagine that things seem work very nicely to a lot of the Norwegian professional class - now that I've joined that class, with collective bargaining, a secure contract and a union, I have to admit that conditions seem very good. I guess we'll see what I'm complaining about a few years down the line.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

V. Illych L. posted:

ohhhh the yellow unions, yeah those are different

my experience is mostly in the LO-verse, sorry. i got out of tekna over some forgotten political stance years and years ago
Tekna is by far the largest union at my employer so I joined them too. I have to admit it was odd to me that my boss and boss's boss are also members. My rep at least talks a good game, but when I was first looking at joining I asked when they had last taken industrial action and they said that as far as they knew the answer was "never". :lmao:

Is there a better possibility? I looked at IWW Norge as a possible additional option but they seem basically defunct.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Randarkman posted:

Tekna is a union? Only thing I remember of them is that they were around campus when I studied physics. Kind of just seemed like some organization for STEM students for whatever when I saw them. Though I guess it makes sense when I think back on it (I think they advertised on innboforsikring which is very much a kind of thing that unions provide).
Yeah. I mean, I'd rather get my 3% annual increment and reduced insurance premiums than not, but I feel like unions should be about more than just that and awful sounding networking events.

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't know your job, but i would join whichever LO-forbund has a presence if politics are important to you. the norwegian syndicalist tendency got gobbled up in that system long ago.

as a norsk folkehjelp guy, i would also be remiss if i didn't plug the labour movement's own solidarity organisation. it's got its issues, but it's ideologically sound and does some good work, especially wrt refugees and au pairs
I am a research scientist. I will take a look, thank you - I would like to involve myself in politics, but my not-so-perfect grasp of the language is a big barrier. Now that I can afford to take Norwegian lessons I am working to remedy that, though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I took the ferry from Lübeck to Trelleborg one time and recently I've been getting a whole slew of emails from the ferry company saying stuff like "Endlich - die Schwedenfähren sind wieder da! Urlaub in Schweden lohnt sich immer!" So at least Germany still has your back, Sweden.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A mistake Russia has also made every now and then, to be fair.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
SMDH, who'd want Danish mink fur that hasn't even been raised on a proper diet of whale meat like in Norway?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just checked their website and it seems like at some point in the last couple of years Pizzabakeren changed its "hottentotten" pizza to the completely fine and not racist... hottentoppen?? That was a surprising item to find on the menu the first time I ordered pizza in Norway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Visiting Americans in my experience are usually surprised to hear how "low" incomes in Northern Europe are, but then Americans who can afford to take a three week holiday to Europe probably aren't very representative. I think average (mean) incomes are a bit misleading in this case, and make it especially hard to compare a country with huge income inequality like the US with Nordic countries where the income distribution is relatively flat. The median income is maybe more useful, and there Sweden appears to be comparable to or slightly higher than the US depending on exactly what you're measuring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income#Gross_median_household_income_by_country That isn't to contradict what others have said, though - that stuff where America is not really a functional society surely hugely increases the cost of what you'd like to consider a reasonable standard of living.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kamrat posted:

I can understand this from the Värmland perspective since the lockdown of the borders have truly hosed up gränskommunerna that relied heavily on Norwegians to come and spend their money.

I had to go to Sweden during lockdown and I couldn't even go shopping in Storlien on my way home to my two weeks' quarantine because it was entirely shut, there appeared to be not a living soul in the entire town. I can completely believe it loving sucks right now if your entire economy is based around undercutting the Norwegian market and/or servicing Norwegian tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

SplitSoul posted:

EL want to spend 20 billion on cash discounts for EVs. Never knew their climate policy to be so aggressively stupid.

I wonder how much Norway spent giving subsidies to Tesla, and how many years of free bus travel for every person in the country or how many electric bikes it would have funded.