Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Horrible Games block is sure to be magical, as it is every GDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's live :toot:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Violently Car posted:

I dunno why but the couch looks really old and cheap on stream. I'm sure it's not, but it just looks... worn and grubby. This is what I spend my Sundays complaining about. Thanks for reading.

Old, well-used couches are the most comfortable type. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sir Tonk posted:

no awful block, boooooooo

Awful block is called Silly Block in the summer and is coming later tonight.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Where's that site that tracks views and donations over time broken down by game?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thanks!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh no

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beep by grandpa posted:

Lotsa people here asking for an HD port of this game, which I'm down for but has Mario ever given a significant update/port of any mainline mario games to modern systems? All I can think of is mario all-stars.

edit: meant to say nintendo but leaving it cause it's funny thinking mario produces his own video games

An underrated classic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah yes the "arin hanson" strat

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Goddamn, that manta.

sout posted:

who's Jeff supposed to be anyway

A joke one of the hosts made at the beginning of the broadcast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beep by grandpa posted:

I would like to play this video game but two things bother me: I've heard of the infamous non-tracking of the blue coins which are needed for 100% and I don't quite know how I feel about Bowser having a voice.

On the plus side: his voice is basically perfect for the character.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God, I hated this level when I was a kid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jarogue posted:

I wish Bowser keep his goofy voice.

He will always have that voice in my heart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reason posted:

is the stream really choppy for anyone else?

Yeah. Use Livestreamer instead of the Twitch web client, instructions are in the OP.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ramadu posted:

Too many Winstons in this run, reminds me of some bad rounds in overwatch

How can a large number of Winstons in Overwatch possibly be a bad thing

unless they're all on the other team

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've never played this game but this is pretty fun to watch.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My nationalistic pride couldn't be greater.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This run is great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is definitely going on the pro-watch list

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
:911:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ohhh poo poo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Canada takes the lead oh gently caress!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
BM? From Canada??

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

so am I the only one who thinks reviewing the runs and giving them a numerical score is kinda daft

I think it's nice for people who want to watch old runs they missed and don't know which ones are worth their time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
He's reaching sync speed!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I guess, but my point was more that the only really useful criteria for whether or not you'd like it is pretty much "are you interested in the game?". Everything else is subject to that.

like this thread really liked the DK race and I just found it boring because I don't find the game very engaging or interesting as a run so I wouldn't recommend it much

and if there's a real knockout of a run that you'd never expect like Tetris was a couple of GDQs back, people usually just recommend it on its own. a rating thing seems a bit dumb since it comes down to one's own personal taste in video games a lot

like right now I am kinda snoozing through the metroid prime run as well, not because it's necessarily bad but because I just don't find the game interesting to watch

Personally speaking, there are plenty of runs of games I've never played or would be all that interested in playing that I ended up enjoying based on recommendations from the thread. For instance, last AGDQ's Animorphs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ironsoviet posted:

I don't think it was less impressive than Tetris but it kind of moves too fast to see so it wasn't as good considering most people have probably never played Stepmania. Everyone has played Tetris and most of us aren't amazing at it.

Yeah like, I know that the stepmania showcase guy was very skilled and coordinated, but it just wasn't visually interesting at all to watch a guy's hands go really fast while arrows move across a screen. Tetris showcases tend to be at least visually interesting as well as being more relatable. More subjectively, I thought the music they chose was garbage.

Ironsoviet posted:

If I remember right, though, they eventually busted out the weird game modes and that went over a bit better.

I don't remember that, I watched the Stepmania showcase live and it was all just plain old black background, no gimmicks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is pretty cool.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Goddamn this is totally nuts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This game reminds me of a game I don't remember the name of that I played on a PS1 demo disk like 20 years ago.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kurushi/Intelligent Qube?

That's exactly it. Thanks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cubey posted:

Catherine is the early favorite for run of the marathon imo

That Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze race was amazing too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's a meme I wish we had avoided.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ometeotl posted:

I miss anything good/noteworthily between Link Between Worlds and now?

The Tropical Freeze race and the Catherine 1p2c were great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

Started watching the DKC:TF run and the couch is already great 5 minutes in

They keep up that same level of commentary for the entire run, too. I think there were maybe two or three autoscroller levels where they had donations read but other than that, they had something to say about every part of the game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ahahahaha oh gently caress

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vermain posted:

Compared to that one dude's Sands of Time run last year that crashed about a dozen times, losing two and a half levels of progress to a dead DS doesn't seem that bad.

The gold standard of "bad runs" in my mind is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCmEFZiz3P4
guy spends 12 minutes trying to wrongwarp to the final dungeon from the first castle, in a process that's really long and tedious to begin with, and fails 3 times.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Corek posted:

Anyone got a video of that, I just missed it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/DelightfulPorpoiseRiPepperonis

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

Racing game speedruns are always dreadfully boring :shrug:

F-Zero GX speedruns are awesome

all other racing game speedruns, however, I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Corek posted:

I don't recall Quake being at a single GDQ despite Quake Done Quick giving the event its name.

Right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Xve3VGGMo

• Locked thread