Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

So either A) they don't know that USS Titan is already a hero ship on another show or B) they are actively loving with Lower Decks.

I assumed it was a deliberate callback to LD and maybe Boimler will be the first officer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Please don't. I'm so sick of prequels.

we're gonna get endless prequels of prequels at least until we meet present day.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was going to joke "when are they going to make a Star Trek show set in present day but I guess they sorta just did that.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

On a personal level I also find it irritating that they found it necessary to make the Disco a special snowflake unique ship. The Enterprises have been the Federation flagships but they've never been intrinsically special; it's always that their crew has been the best.

Uh the Defiant has Starfleet's only legal-ish cloaking device.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wonder how often Suits tell Kurtzman to do a crossover because fans love Marvel and he had to explain that every Trek show is in a different time period.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

When are we getting a Trek show in the "touring band with special powers" genre

That 80s country singer can be the front man.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Data and Geordi were crazy for this one. They set it on a couple of crates in engineering with no safety equipment and turned it on a MW continuous discharge. Enough that if someone walked through the beam it would explode their torso.

Imagine if the ship shook, good thing that never happens.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Battlestar Galactica kinda made good on the Voyager premise of a stranded ship under long-term threat. For a season or so anyway.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but BSG was literally created and written in direct response to Voyager's failings.

So what you're saying is that if Voyager made better use of the premise then Tom Paris would have become an angel.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah season 4 is the peak of the show. 5 is pretty good too.

Solid time to be watching Trek. Peak DS9 on the one hand and Voyager's best run on the other.

I enjoyed late ds9 as a kid but now my eyes glaze over at piles of pictures of starships. I feel like it peaked somewhere in the middle. Not that it's ever bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

The name “locutus” implies “speaker” to me. (Actually “spoken” in proper Latin, but whatever). Locutus is a communicator, a means of bridging the gap between the mostly uncommunicative collective and its soon-to-be-members. His purpose is to speak to the Feds and tell them what is going to happen to them. It’s reasonable to assume that this forms a general pattern in how the Borg assimilate societies: a prominent member is absorbed into the collective and then used against its people as psychological warfare/propaganda. We just usually don’t see it happen.

This is the explanation I remember from the Star Trek CCG.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

The Borg giving enough of a poo poo to communicate with their victims is more or less the first step in transforming them from sophisticated grey goo to another sentient species with understandable motives and psychology, which is ultimately what made the Borg uninteresting. But also it's hard to write interesting stories beyond first contact with the Borg, since their entire thing is just doing their assimilation without explaining or negotiation, which leaves only tech based plans, which is boring, or sneaky horror stories where you have to avoid them, which is hard to write.

Ensigns of Command B plot could've been about daring delay tactics against the Borg instead of rules lawyering the Sheliak. I think they could've done some more good Borg stories.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

I think SNW's reputation gets a bit overblown because everyone was so desperate for live-action Trek that wasn't utterly dire, but there are some excellent episodes and I don't think any episode drops below "mediocre." There's clearly a lot of love in the writing, and the charisma of the cast makes up for some script weaknesses.

TNG had some pretty dire episodes as well, especially in the first couple seasons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't think there's any tried and true formula to whether you can still enjoy a thing when someone with bad views was involved in it. It depends on lots of variables.

I can't imagine any mass media exists that didn't involve somebody with bad views, considering the on-screen talent are just the tip of the iceberg, even ignoring all the capitalists at the top of the hierarchy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I know you guys must have gone over these shows frame by fame.

Does Grand Nagus Zek ever use the word "inconceivable"?

As far as I know, only in the 1999 novel "I, Q".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

They replaced the green with blue in post.

Impressive, non?

Somebody should edit in a more interesting background environment, like Manhattan or the Moon or Bill Murray's intestines.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I liked the Asimov story where the robot was just running in circles around a reactor because it was the equilibrium point between the Laws.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yah but Picard usually the has worst interpretation of the Prime Directive. Whole civilizations must be lost because the cosmos demands it makes you as much a "god" as saving a primative race of people because their planet is going to die.

The problem is that they know with certainty the race is doomed. They need stories where the admiral tells them to contact this race to save them, and they do it, and then they find out it was all a lie and the Admiral just wanted to drill for oil on their planet or something. I guess Insurrection could have almost been that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Knormal posted:

The first post-TNG thing I saw Patrick Stewart in was this otherwise-forgettable cheap action movie where he plays a terrorist who takes over a prep school to ransom the kids, but then one kid does a Die Hard. He completely chews the scenery and seems to be having the time of his life.

He was also in Conspiracy Theory that year with Gibson and Roberts, which I liked at the time. Not a bad year for ol' PStew.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I saw this on a bus and could barely tell what was going on.

I got it for free with my DVD player in ~2001, so I watched it a few times.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

Fun episode, TNG in a very TOS mood.

I agree though. To me the historical Ardra sounds way more interesting than the actual topic of the episode. So a random alien/devil/witch showed up out of nowhere, promised to fix everything wrong with the planet in exchange for their descendants’ souls, did nothing, and then hosed off never to be seen again?? Maybe they should have run into her at the end.

There was no historical ardra, it's a legendary figure, probably just a powerful warlord who died thousands of years ago.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Voyager ends with Janeway and the crew relieved to be back home in the Terran Empire.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

There were only two pilots, The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before. The latter is what got Star Trek ordered to series.

And Lucille Ball helped finance the second pilot.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

I don't disagree, I was just saying that's the reason DS9 has the reputation for being "dark."

Edit: It also has a main cast member getting Hadoukened as the linchpin of its sixth season finale.

DS9 isn't dark in the grimdark sense, it just isn't utopian in the way TNG was, that's the whole premise. It's only dark in a relative sense.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

Again, I'm saying why it has the reputation, not that it was actually grimdark.

Jesus, people.

I think the reputation for being dark predates the Dominion. If anything, the war took the focus off the darker parts and highlighted the hoorah CGI ship battles. It was darker when the focus was on Starfleet officers stuck on a frontier station full of assholes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

so 9 of 26 as watchable to good isn't so bad. And there are others that I would consider borderline ok but there is some REAL dreck in there too.

It probably makes more sense to watch the best third of every season than the best third of seasons, unless you're just lazy. Assuming you don't have time to watch everything of course.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

We had this discussion in the other Trek thread about what a lying, craven little weenie who's desperate to please the worst possible people Terry Matalas is, and that whole "love letter to the fans" quote reminded me of something. He was Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's protege on Enterprise. And he's also saying that Picard Season 3 is going to be a "love letter" to fans of Star Trek :barf:

Scott Bakula wakes up on Enterprise, wow what a crazy dream that next generation was

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

DS9 also built on a huge amount of back story before committing to its serialization. There's tons of episodes that are one offs that deal with the Dominion and Changelings. Then finally everything comes to ahead.

Yeah it wasn't so much serialization as just allowing circumstances to change over time in a way that had been considered syndication poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
As an old I don't care about Canon and I just take stories for what they are. Maybe I'm just dead inside from seeing too many headlines about how New Picard Episode Has Implications For Kirk's Actual Feelings About Khan Or Whatever.