Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.

What if we split the difference and have a Romulan Warbird captained by the Duras Sisters and Sela's head on a pike? If they want to do more than just imply what happened, have a scene where the Duras' meet up with their old ally to make a deal, take out the bridge crew with a suicide bomber, then activate the Romulan "Irradiate all the mutinous crew outside the bridge" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry Salami posted:

Next Gen onwards uses a different system for warp speeds than the original series, probably to stop writers constantly inflating warp speeds for dramatic effect. I think Threshold was the first time it was mentioned on-screen, but defining 'Warp 10' as an infinite, unattainable speed goes back to the TNG writer's bible. Warp 10 in TOS is a bit more than Warp 8 on the TNG scale.
Changing the warp scale for next gen was an awful idea. Just tell the writers if they use warp 10+ they'll get punched in the dick. Or if you absolutely need an exponential scale with "infinity" on it, leave some room for growth instead of going to warp 9.7 in the first loving episode.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it is good that they go fast in the first episode. If you can't go warp 10 and they go 9.7 in the first episode, writers can't do any stupid poo poo to try to make their episode be the fastest enterprise ever or whatever. Except for that one where the pedophile diddles Wesley and the ship goes fast.

I think the intended effect of not putting a number to "alien induced super speed" worked fine, but had the retarded/annoying side effect of constantly using decimal points to denote speed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wouldn't work. Eventually the rule would be broken.

Roddenberry and/or Gerrold said at the beginning "no space pirates, not now not ever" and by the end of TNG we'd seen at least two episodes with space pirates.
I'd be fine with The Traveler making the Enterprise go Warp 15 if there was a short clip after the credits of Diane Duane and Michael Reaves being punched in the (lady)dicks.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If you haven't seen Ted 2, and you like dick and weed and fart jokes and a bunch of scifi references and 3 4 Star Trek alum, then see it.
I lost interest during the court case that was basically Measure Of A Man but not as funny. The only giggle they got out of me after that was Worf+Tick.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Besides, why would anyone assume that while maneuvering to fight/retreat from an alien ship swarm that they would be coasting along in a stable orbit? Thats like someone complaining that a modern guided-missile destroyer didn't take the wind into account when lining up to attack another ship.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gaz-L posted:

The climax with "Sabotage" was amazing and I realized exactly what track Jaylah was going to play about 10 seconds before it happened and spent the whole scene with a huge grin. Especially with the main trio's reactions.

That whole scene is the first I can think of to outdo "I've got an idea!" from Stargate with regards to a scene where you see exactly where they're going with it and it just makes the payoff better when they do it.

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah if your referring to the Coup episodes or the Breen attack they read more like Cold War reactions like the strategy of tension in Italy (replace communists with Changelings) and Pearl Harbour inspired ( a surprise attack by a neutral if hostile power that sides with the enemy), the Maquis as the name suggest were supposed to be like the French resistance though they seemed more like a third world guerrilla movement, in the episodes we saw them playing a big role.

I don't really get 9/11 vibe from DS9 at all. Though I first watched the show before 9/11, so maybe its one of those things a newer audience sees when they come to it. Unless of course your all talking about another bit in DS9 I'm forgetting.

Probably more Homefront/Paradise Lost with having a group of terrorists hiding among the populace and in the wake of an attack there are now soldiers on the streets and people pushing to trade personal freedoms for security. They lucked into a couple real world parallels before they actually happened.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baka-nin posted:

Eh, no that's happened plenty of times before, that was exactly how the Strategy of Tension in Italy was supposed to work, only the plan was exposed before the neo Fascist take over could happen. Pretty much most coups use a deteriorating security situation as justification for the Generals to takeover, and in most cases there's an open question as to whether or not the coup plotters were involved or just deliberately negligent.

...and then it happened again. I don't think anyone is under the impression that the Trek writers looked into a crystal ball and saw the future so much as there were a bunch of explicit 9/11 allegories afterward and several goons (myself included) think DS9 used prior history to touch on the subject better than most of the stories that were explicitly about 9/11.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nessus posted:

Is Babylon 5 the one that had Penn and Teller in some episode, or was that some other fanatic franchise?

You're thinking of The Drew Carey Show...and also Babylon 5.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gonz posted:

There's a 2-hour 50 Year Anniversary retrospective on the History Channel tonight if anyone is interested. A whole lot of interviews with big names.

This was pretty good. They said 7 of 9 was going to be in Nemesis instead of an existing character? Anyone know who they were going to kick out to make room?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I did like Walter Koenig's anecdote about how everyone else used to get letters about "you inspired me to be a doctor/engineer/proud-of-my-race..." and he finally got one about "you inspired me to learn Russian and go work for for the state department, but I can't tell you anything about what I do :ninja:"

"I inspired someone to become a spy :unsmith:"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kibayasu posted:

That's basically what a jet fighter is right now. It's easy to forget that jet fighters are actually kind of big - about 60 feet long and 40 feet wide if you include the wings. No idea what the runabouts in DS9 were officially sized at but I imagine it's somewhat similar.

Of course the DS9 space battles shouldn't have happened in general ("Huh, a giant line of ships in front of us. Okay, well whatever, angle 1 degree upward and don't drop out of warp.") so really someone just wanted action shots of small ships getting blown up by big ships again.

Counterpoint: Any defending fleet has less distance to travel to cut you off again. The surface of a sphere (distance required to fly around or intercept an enemy fleet) decreases as radius (distance to where the attacking fleet is trying to go) decreases.

"The Luftwaffe are so dumb, why don't they just fly over/around the Spitfires to get to Britain?"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The design is neat, I only have two beefs with the ship:

- As portrayed it didn't seem to have any drawbacks beyond maiming bridge crew, which kind of implies "heh nacelles on pylons really is dumb". I think it would have been cool if it were shown to be not the fastest ship at warp speed, or maybe that it runs incredibly hot (like running from DS9 to Earth and back will nearly drain the antimatter tanks), or something like that.

- It's a dramatic/production limitation, I know (annnnnd maybe a desire to not be too alike with B5 :v:) but from Sisko's introduction of it I felt like we should have eventually been seeing them operating in wolfpacks; they were supposedly designed to be something you could ramp up production of and send in large numbers against Borg cubes or Romulan invasion fleets or what-have-you.

The Defiant isn't the fastest ship, it can only go Warp 9.5 (holy poo poo writers, a whole tenth of warp? Sure you don't want to bump it up to 9.55 so it doesn't lag too far behind the Enterprise? The loving war will be over by the time the Defiant shows up!). I think the real drawback though was that a Defiant isn't very comfortable (and probably doesn't have the supply capacity) to be aboard for a long exploration mission and it is about as capable of collecting science as a runabout.

That said, I think they should have limited it to Warp 9 and had an "O'Brien is away and the station is falling apart again" episode where O'Brien had to go to the Antares Ship Yards* to explain how to jury rig the new-build Defiants to not shake your space-fillings out above Warp 8. I also think it would be interesting to have an episode of a post DS9 show have a captain bitter that he was assigned to a Defiant that now drags around a science module on a cable like a towed-sonar-array and can only go Warp 7 because its now peacetime and Starfleet has a bunch of brand new warships they don't really need and then have the captain's eyes light up when something happens that requires jettisoning the module and using the ship for its intended purpose.

*Yes, I had to look that up

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zurui posted:

Valeris' betrayal is a complete blindside in the novelization. She's a POV character for part of it and at no point does it even hint at the idea that she's doing anything but being a good Starfleet officer. Then her betrayal comes around and it makes zero sense with her character. Valeris struggles with being a Vulcan because she was raised on another planet by a dad who gave up logic because the Klingons killed his wife. She was only was exposed to Vulcan ideals as an adult. Like, the motivations are there but she talks about how she's dealt with all that and decided to be Vulcan and then she decides to become part of this conspiracy for...reasons? The conspiracy to assassinate Gorkon is flimsier in the books because, once again, we get to see more of it and the Klingon side is just...what?

Better dead than Fed

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MikeJF posted:

Basics was kinda meant to be their send-off, but they weren't sure if they'd have to revisit the well so they didn't make it solid and say 'this is happening because it's their last chance before we leave their range forever'

I still think that Voyager should've been structured like Buffy, with a new season-long enemy each season that corresponded to a new area of space.

I think a lot a serialized shows would benefit from being structured like Buffy. It provides catharsis to have some closure without waiting for the show to finally wrap up and I've seen too many shows fall into the traps of either "We got renewed for another season. Someone come up with a new and exciting reason not to wrap up our current storyline" or "We got cancelled. Someone throw some poo poo together so we can cram two years of plot into three episodes."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Man Trap was the first episode to air...needless to say it's rough

But it was produced after Corbomite Maneuver and Where No Man Has Gone Before which were pretty good for the most part. I assume Man Trap was edited first though and that's where the roughness came from.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Trent posted:

Definitely this. It's almost like they put the line in Season 7 just to explain this. There is really no reason for DS9 to rotate that I can imagine, but Ezri says she can feel it rotating in the space sickness episode.

lol
also (((Ferengi))) etc

I think Exri was feeling something that wasn't necessarily there, like space vertigo or something. If I go up high enough on a ladder, I can "feel" it moving while it's stationary.

There are reasons to rotate a space station though (which DS9 seems to do). Maybe they want to keep the paint fading evenly or not have one hot side and one cold side or maybe it keeps quantum bullshit from interfering with the subspace horseshit.

Also, even if DS9 was kept in a fixed orientation relative to Bajor (like the ISS is with Earth), the Enterprise could just be docked on a different pylon.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I think we've taken it too far nowadays though. If TNG were on today, Locutus would be a season long villain which is far too long.

Even back when I first watched DS9 all the way through (instead of catching random episodes during its first run), I was kind of surprised the Dominion only held DS9 for ~6 episodes instead of spending the whole season doing that plot (which also would have been too long).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of the holodeck, I was reading an article a while back about some VR room called "the Void" where you still wear a headset but they can control some other ambient effects in the room as well to provide extra immersion. Because they know the size of the room you'd be in (because they built it) they can take advantage of the tendency for a person to walk in circles if they can't see and have the headset turn you around before you get to a wall while you feel like you're walking in a straight line. The first thing I thought of when I read it was the Enterprise doing some funhouse mirror shenanigans to keep a room full of people from walking into eachother without the treadmills.

...not that this would work with more than one person at a time (and it might not even work without a headset) but I think it'd be funny to watch everyone throw up until they figure that out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

It's space, there's no need for balance.

Only if you want to go in circles, which is what happens when your center of mass is not in line with your center of thrust.

*Yes, I am aware that most Trek ships aren't balanced...probably. I have no idea how much mass certain areas have relative to each-other or how center of thrust applies to a warp field.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Does anyone know what happened to the DS9 remasters (other than "people didn't buy TNG because we gave people the choice of streaming them for free or spending $Texas for the Blu-rays")? They used to say they relied on CGI too much and the original files were missing but then some CG animator guy was like "Oh, I've got all the animation files sitting around here somewhere. Let me render something for you" and this got posted online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs0-hhOZFQ

...then the goon who worked on the TNG remaster said animation guy fell through and there hasn't been any official word on the project since.

What I'm wondering is was the animator full of poo poo? Was he trying to sell a bunch of art assets he didn't technically own? Did CBS really take that much of a bath on TNG that they can't do an :effort: DS9 remaster without all the cool special features (which would give them an excuse to double-dip down the road)? Does CBS really just not care about Star Trek DS9?

Edit: Seems also that I was mixing together this Trek Core article (three guesses who originally posted it here) and the youtube video I already posted which I think got linked here around the same time.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 24, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I just edited my post to correct it a bit, but poo poo like phaser hits or the one time per season they could afford to render Odo changing shape is probably not all that expensive to re-do in 2016. The biggest thing everyone was always audibly sweating about was that TNG and TOS would have a maximum of like 4 ship on screen at any given time and TNG still had most of the camera negatives for the model shots, whereas DS9 would have 600+ CGI ships flying around that nobody was thought to still have the assets for.

Rereading the article though makes it sound like only one of the two studios that worked on the show has the assets left and you'd still have all the interior stuff to do and I still have no idea how they managed to composite Way Of The Warrior with models on a TV budget (its not like they were playing with Return Of The Jedi money). I'd still like to know if Robert Bonchune was exaggerating in that interview though, or if they just don't think the money is there. Maybe by the 60th anniversary things will have progressed to the point they can just shove an SD episode and a bunch of film negatives into a computer and be 90% of the way there?

I did find DS9 reruns are on Heroes & Icons late at night. You know, if you get that channel.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Had a friend who insisted I watch the show. So I watched it, in the correct order, including the movie.

I was not at all impressed. It seems like they were trying too hard to have a diverse cast of characters.

I'm assuming you mean that their roles have a diverse set of skills like you would find in a heist movie or an rpg, not that they're ethnically diverse. If I remember correctly there were three white guys, one black guy, three white women, and one black woman.

Either way, I wouldn't level diversity as a compaint against the show.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
How pissed is everyone going to be if he pulls an Abrams and the show is just a demo reel for a Star Wars show he'd rather be making?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrJacobs posted:

Nah, you can just get Jason Statham as Picard.

I'd watch that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrJacobs posted:

I see your point, but that wasn't an Earth based religon, and a stupid scene since Worf has an extra 15lbs of metal over his uniform all the time. I was just wondering if they really showed any kind of earth based religion in detail in the series or if things just evolved differently since WW3 and first contact.

Now I'm imagining Riker walking around for years pissed at Worf but not wanting to get sucked into some Klingon honor dual over the sash... and then here comes Ro.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

Disturbing new plants was a crime. All crimes are punishable by death. Crimes only count when that area is under observation.

I never thought about it before, but had Wesley listened to his new friends yelling at him to stop or decided against jumping over a (short) railing so he could elbow-drop a greenhouse then they would have just executed the native who threw a football into the greenhouse anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

As I recall, Avery Brooks was very uncomfortable with the idea of Sisko just going "peace out" at his pregnant wife and asked for some substantial rewrites.

Personally, I'm glad they put in the "I can come back whenever I want because I'll control time" thing though. That way I can choose to believe he came back a month later: not long enough to miss too much, but long enough that people won't be too weirded out by how much he changed in a few hours/lifetimes like when O'Brien went to mind prison.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

when was kira raped? i don't remember that episode at all.

I think they're being a bit liberal with lack of consent to something = rape.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i feel like it's less of a stretch to classify data as a rapist (she was clearly intoxicated). i doubt soong would have programmed him to be incapable of rape. i don't think data is rapist, for the record.

I think technically they raped each-other, because neither was capable of giving consent due to being intoxicated. Do two rapes make a right?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arglebargle III posted:

Call me naive but I think it's possible for two men to have a platonic friendship.

Next you'll be saying a guy can have a platonic relationship with a female who hasn't friendzoned him *tips fedora*.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Number_6 posted:

I stand by the best cut of TMP being the ABC-TV released for VHS "special longer version."

The directors cut DVD is ruined by all the soundtrack changes--the original alert sounds and computer voice warnings are mostly stripped out.

Is this the only cut with the "Is this all that I am?" speech with Spock? Because I consider that scene necessary to the film.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

macnbc posted:

I'm pretty sure that bit is in all 3 major versions (Theatrical, Extended, Director's)

I saw one without it recently and was kind of pissed at its absence. Its the whole loving point of that long-rear end movie (aside from Big E porn).

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 24, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The NX-01 should have been a Romulan Bird of Prey with a different paint job.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kingtheninja posted:

Amazon prime has the Blu ray versions with updated visuals. Unfortunately for me, my VPN recently stopped working with prime :(

They're on Netflix too now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baronjutter posted:

No but there's a WWIII when genetically engineered super-men become the earth's natural elites and form brutal dictatorships treating humans as slaves or 2nd class citizens. This was due to a flaw in the genetic engineering that for some reason also made them evil and power hungry. Despite technology advancing for hundreds of years since, it's still illegal because they would turn into super-men and the federation will not tolerate a society where some of it's members have superior abilities. *is a multi-species nation where some members can read minds, others have super strength and intellect*.

I think the idea presented in Space Seed (and Where No Man Has Gone Before) is that humans are naturally going to try to run things if they view themselves as measurably better than those around them, not that a particular augmentation method was flawed.

Also, keep in mind that many countries use fire hoses/water cannons for riot control because they work pretty well, but the U.S. doesn't because they're closely associated with the Civil Rights Movement. Japan has vowed to never posses nuclear weapons. The U.S. was once the world leader in eugenics until the Nazis took it way too far. Sometimes poo poo happens that makes certain technology distasteful enough that it becomes part of a culture.

Edit: I wonder though if the lovely augments were because the technology is inherently risky or if its because they had back alley augmentation. Kind of like how meth was never good for you, but it supposedly got a ton worse once people started cooking it out of Sudafed in their basements.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 10, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Doctor Butts posted:

Marina Sirtis bragged that she banged every male guest star.

I'd be willing to bang Stephen Hawking just to say I did it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

Hyperriker posted:

I'd like to imagine that someone was asked to make a model of a Nebula class ship but the only reference they had was someone sending pictures of one over snapchat or something

"They rebuilt me, everything works...but they had never seen a human Nebula. They had no guide putting me back together."

The saucer itself actually looks pretty well put together, even though it's a mashup of different design elements. The seam lines could use some work though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tighclops posted:

Hey, you guys remember the old Hallmark Trek ornaments from the 90's that you had to plug into the lines of christmas lights? I scored a few more of them for my mom's collection this year and I was wondering if it were possible to plug them into LED strands with replaceable bulbs, or if everything would explode and burn down.

Never tried it myself, but I'd assume the significantly higher wattage of the incandescent bulb in your ornament would cause a higher than expected voltage drop and the rest of the line would be really dim. Should be relatively safe to try though. At worst it would probably either burn out faster, cause the rest of the string to burn out faster, or blow one of the fuses in the plug.

You can try to cram* an led bulb into the ornament though :science:

*by "cram" I mean "unbend the pins so you can pull the bulb itself out of the bulb holder (so it looks like the picture below) and then use the same technique to transplant one of the spare leds that came with your lights into the holder so it plugs in correctly"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WhiteHowler posted:

That's pretty much it. If the most popular Trek show ever fell so short of their (probably ridiculous) expectations, there's not much hope for DS9.

I'd guess that the TNG sets didn't sell well because TNG has been running nonstop on cable for the last 20+ years, and everyone has seen them all a billion times. Also, lots of people owned the DVD sets but weren't quite fanatical enough to re-buy the series.

...and that you could just stream the HD remasters on Amazon Prime almost as they came out, with Netflix following along not too much later.

I think they might do it in the future when the technology has matured to the point that they can do 90% of it by having an intern feed camera negatives into a computer all day while the computer matches it up with the completed episode, especially if they ever get an executive in that loved DS9 and makes it his pet project (this will never happen).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why do the Enterprise blu-ray sets then? Just because it was already filmed in HD and made an easy transfer?

Yes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope they aren't super in your face about the character being gay. Not that I don't like gay people, but I would hope that in the time period of this show, gay people would be a normal thing and not something you have to point out. Have him do the normal TV show stuff that any straight character would do but just with a man. Just do it like TOS did with having a black woman on the bridge, just act like it's a normal thing that has always been that way.

I'm kind of on the fence about that. It can feel like how nerds like to always tell writers to write women like Ripley from Alien, who is a good character; but not every female character needs to be written as a man and then played by a woman (this is partially why Ripley is better in Aliens. Her being a mother informs her character but she isn't a hysterical woman who needs Hicks to come save her).

:siren:However:siren:, while in principle I don't mind them acknowledging that gay culture is a thing that exists, I think there is a >90% chance that they would gently caress it up and make Flaming Ensign Pole Vaulter of the U.S.S. Gay Viking and we'd all end up hiding behind the sofa in shame whenever he was on screen.

If you're reading this, Star Trek producers, just do what you did with Sulu in Beyond because you'll completely screw up otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
(Crossposted from the Obsolete Technology thread, where they're having a tangent about props)
I've never seen this mentioned before, but the Jem'Hadar ships on Deep Space Nine had some grey blocky vent tube thingies in the back that were made from some specific brand (they all look a bit different) of septic infiltrator chamber.