Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
there should be an officially licensed electronic TNG bong shaped like the Enterprise D's warp core and when you pull from it, the core part lights up with pulsating blue LEDs accompanied by the appropriate sound FX from the show. The harder/longer you pull the faster the warp core goes boom boom boom boom until it finally makes the jump to warp speed sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

So when I was a kid, my best Christmas, the one I remember most, was the Christmas of 1995, where my divorced parents had an amazing joint Christmas morning together and everything was perfect. I was a kid fan of Star Trek, and one of my best presents that year, the one I still have to this day, was a hardcover copy of the Star Trek encyclopedia.

And I read that thing to bits, learning about everything Star Trek that I could, reading the synopses of episodes I'd never seen, and loving every little detail. And the one episode that really stuck out to kid me as something I desperately wanted to see was "Genesis," as everyone had really cool makeup and the idea - with the crew of the Enterprise devolving into animals - was just such a cool story I thought.

28 years later, I just saw "Genesis" for the first time ever.

And it was everything I'd ever hoped it would be. Amazing makeup, fun weird character moments as people devolve, and a dark and tense plotline as devolved Worf chases Picard through the Enterprise at the climax. I goddamn love this franchise.

I love how they never show you Worf as a proto-Klingon in full view so you never really get a good look at him, making that one of the more menacing aliens in Star Trek imo.

I had two editions of the encyclopedia as a kid but nither were hardcovers. I did the same thing as a kid though when I got my first one, just pouring over all the little details -and I always loved the italicized blurbs about stuff from a production standpoint. I think my favourite entry was probably the one on the Picard Maneuver with the adorable little CG Stargazer being used to depict each stage in the sequence.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol icheb guy is lame

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
love to hear that the dying grasp of positive 70's futurism ends with boomers screaming

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, gently caress this line of thinking. Things don’t get better just because they stop getting made.

They also don't get better if they keep being made by essentially the same clique of well connected failchildren. My thinking is that Star Trek (and a lot of other things) needs to become public domain at this point.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Somewhere, Alec Peters just heard the old-timey cash register sound and sat up excitedly.

He's a massive rear end in a top hat, but his dumb self absorbed fanservicey crap is exactly the kind of thing that gets "officially made" by Terry and Paramount now so gently caress it, everybody should be allowed to bash their Playmates action figures together for all to see. There are many people posting in these threads that could come up with better stories.

I mean within a decade AI will probably be able to generate whole rear end episodes of Star Trek so it's coming anyway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Worf got really into Jordan Peterson after the Enterprise crashed and-

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the enterprise is a boat

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Actual Satan posted:

Enterprise J is a cool as hell idea and a kickass design, if you disagree please go gently caress yourself.

I like it as a far future cityship thing that we don't really know anything about except for what we can glean from renders

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
LCARS is great because it doesn't actually work as a GUI but it looks like it might which is perfect for sci fi show set dressing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This whole exchange has been adorable, I want to give everyone a hug honestly

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The best Enterprise is and always will be the Enterprise Refit. Period. There are no other answers.

Art deco exterior and even the interior is fine that would look completely modern if you swapped out those CRTs in the displays.

The thing that hurts the interior is the most I feel are the circular computer screens. I think I read somewhere that was something Roddenberry insisted on for some reason

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"Fuckin' MOVE"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"I'm gonna CUM"

The ship's helmsman pauses and looks awkwardly back over their shoulder at the captain."...uh, Sir?"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I had to fight with myself not to immediately post it in every Trek thread I could find, it's too funny

if you post in all trek threads simultaneously you become a lizard and you have to have lizard babies with the other lizard posters

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

Watched 'A Night In Sickbay' for first time, I think that might be one of my favorite Enterprise episodes. I sped through it watching via "Best Episodes" lists but that was probably a mistake. The sexual tension between T'Pol/Archer actually being referenced was funny. It felt like there was always this T'Pol/Archer/Tucker 3-way tension going on without it being spoken about.

It's been a while but isn't this typically remembered as one of the crappiest episodes of the series?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. A Night In Sickbay was basically the episode that killed Enterprise as a show. As in it broke the back of the viewership ratings and the people who were still sticking around watching the timeslot after Voyager ended basically all tapped out after it and just never came back.

Chuck Sonnenberg of SF Debris has done a couple of "scoreless" episode reviews for stuff like Family and 11:59 just because they were functionally impossible to review as Star Trek episodes, but I think A Night In Sickbay is the only episode out of everything he's reviewed across all of Star Trek that earned a straight 0/10.

That sounds about right, I can recall Berman or one of the writers giving an interview about it where they were all proud of themselves for doing " Three's Company in space" and being baffled that they thought that was something anybody wanted to see at the time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Where did the original concept for the Starfleet ship design aesthetic come from? It's very unusual, even after all these years.

I think he put the warp engines on pylons away from the crew modules because they were thought to contain dangerous energy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

It's the replacement for the Galaxy as a primary exploration ship,

Wait what, I thought it was the replacement for the Oberth

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

from M-A: "According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet. Four different concept designs were presented on pages 177 and 178. The direction the actual Nova-class eventually followed was the down-sized ship with less internal volume that allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhanced utilization of warp energy."

(other sources may disagree)

ah yep, a couple paragraphs later: "According to the Star Trek: Starship Spotter, the Nova-class became the replacement to the Oberth-class as a research and science ship. The ship was equipped with only two cargo management units and two shuttlecraft. The phaser arrays were classified as type X, the same as the Galaxy and Intrepid-class phasers. The ship had a mass of 110,000 metric tons."

Oh yeah I remember that bit from the tech manual now, seems weird that their big Explorer class ship would go from being a flying city to a little Putt-Putt machine like the Nova though

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I miss the era before continuity got abused into nerd slop, odo pulling out a padd and owning worf with all the times the enterprise got taken over on his watch was a once in a lifetime event

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Ya'all know that PADDs aren't like, single use and he just had that file somewhere on his sharepoint right?

Star Trek takes place in a timeline where the technology for tabs was lost during WW3

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

With how they've brought previously secondary material things into canon lately, it wouldn't be super surprising if they ever implemented the Probert designed DS9-II from the old EU

holy gently caress that's ugly for a probert joint. They probably won't ever use it because it's ugly and I read somewhere that he's a chud now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
heh heh. docking.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Why does the KFC bridge look better than the actual TOS one?

Hell it looks better than most post TNG bridges, I think it's the lighting

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The USS Defiant is the coolest ship ever introduced in a Star Trek series.

It's amazing that they pulled it off because if they tried doing something like that now it would be dumb and look like a stealth fighter with spikes and Gatling guns and poo poo coming off of it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

edit: I've posted this guy's fan renders here before but drat does he keep outdoing himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ckJx97IDeU

It's crazy how close he's getting to the look of the original model FX.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think BSG lost me when they had the "good guys" crush a labour strike by threatening to blow the union leader's wife out an airlock, the rest of the religious stuff was as unsatisfying as it is IRL but given that BSG was always based on a religious epic at least it wasn't wholly unexpected

a lot of that show ended up on a disappointing note but the extremely post 9/11ishness of it all has really not aged well

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Whenever I make toast I always point at it and go "Mmm!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't feel excitement for star trek anymore

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Consult a doctor about that.

I did and now I'm on an anti depressant and still nothing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Royale is one of the best episodes of anything, ever

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

legit the best way to watch Star Trek or Star Wars

inside of a decade people are gonna be rendering whatever episodes of whatever they like anyway they like and canon as we know it will crumple into a little dried out turd like the caretaker

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe I'm just dead inside from seeing too many headlines about how New Picard Episode Has Implications For Kirk's Actual Feelings About Khan Or Whatever.

Hard same. I used to love continuity and I loved poo poo like the TNG tech manual and the various editions of the star trek encyclopedia but they've run all that into the ground with years of bad stories and dumb characters so that the whole "shared universe" thing actively works against any new material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

I'm a little worried about what the blowback on that is going to be like. There's already a bunch of people on Twitter and in other places saying that "AI" trained on copyright data is violating copyright even with unique outputs. "Mass theft" they call it. Even before you get to things where we could use it to generate custom episodes of Star Trek or whatever. If I had a good research ability, it'd be interesting to compare it to the blowback of things like books when the printing press made them very cheap and more available, or when the automobile appeared, or coffeehouses, or any other disruptive thing.

Yeah I don't know where it's all going to end up, the only thing I'm really sure of is that anybody that has to work for a living will end up getting hosed harder somehow and it'll be in a dumber way than anyone could have imagined