Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Seska was infiltrating the Maquis, not Starfleet, though. Maybe she did have tech that would fool the lovely sensors and tricorders in the badlands, but Voyager's stuff could see through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, doesn't she just not appear in The Measure Of A Man, probably because they realised that she'd be the villain in that story?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

He seems to think this'll imply that his Sulu was closeted, which is what he's against, but the fact that both timeliness have Demora implies Takei's Sulu was just gay offscreen.

George was really invested in that one comic book story where Sulu banged the catgirl Majel played on TAS.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a more serious note than my last post, I get where George is coming from, mostly (I'm honestly doubtful if Gene actually gave a poo poo about LGBT representation) but the two most obvious counterpoints are what's already been mentioned: Sulu's only passingly identified as into women in the original series, and most people are smart enough to understand the context of the time for that series; and introducing a new LGBT character is basically not possible in the context of the movies, at least not if you want them to have anywhere near the weight of the main bridge crew. The closest we got to a new 'main' character in any of the movies, JJ-verse or not, is Saavik and she lasted all of one movie before being made irrelevant. What would've happened, had Takei gotten his wish, would've been like that one apparently gay helmsman in First Contact, where either his scenes would be first on the cutting room floor because he's not one of the main characters, or he WOULD be reduced to "the gay one", which I'm not sure is the message you want in Star Trek.

If he wants more original character LGBTQ representation in Trek, he should be talking to Fuller. Get a queer person on the bridge in the new show. gently caress it, have a transgender person as the captain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's Fuller, the two things we can expect are gays and death.

I know Fuller himself is gay, but is it really a hallmark of his shows? Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies didn't have any gay leads, Wonderfalls had the main character's closeted sister... was Hannibal just super queer?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty sure Daisy(?), the replacement Rebecca Gay Harding Reaper, was bisexual due to her many Hollywood antics.

Daisy Adai-ah, you mean? (She always pronounced it with an exaggerated Southern Belle accent)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Dark One posted:

I think Marina Sirtis forgot how to do it in the break between movies somewhere around First contact or Insurrection.

Well, that and she did the accent in the beginning, then Majel just ignored it and talked in her normal voice... so I think Piller said "Oh, it was your dad's accent and you picked it up as you grew up" and then they cast Troi's dad for flashbacks and that actor talked in a Mid-West accent, so Marina kinda went 'gently caress it' and talked like the London girl she actually is because if no-one else is going to try, why should she?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zaroff posted:

I miss the 90's, back when BBC2 would have their established cult TV slot and you'd get TNG on Wednesdays, DS9 on Thursdays, TOS on Fridays and Voyager on Sunday. Interspersed with the likes of Sliders, Quantum Leap, Space Precinct and numerous ITC shows like Tha Champions and Randall and Hopkirk...

You forgot Buffy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Data Graham posted:

And the integrated fanny packs are goofy.

Weren't they supposed to be attachment points for seat harnesses?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

You just wrote a Metal Gear Solid plot.

A Metal Gear Solid plot?!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Is there a comprehensive guide to the Star Trek comics anywhere?

Grab the Humble Bundle, or just found a longbox in the store somewhere?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pretty common for shows they licence from elsewhere, actually. Better Call Saul, Orphan Black and Once Upon A Time all go up like 12 hours after they air in the US over here in the UK.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

They've taken it down?

Yeah, it's 'not available' on the Trek YouTube page. I think they maybe misjudged what the response would be, and were like "SDCC footage! This'll get the nerds buzzing!" and then everyone hated it. Plus that does look just outright ripped from that concept.

It's not hard to make a Starfleet ship. Little rectangle, 1-4 big cylinders and a saucer. Slap em together however you want and it'll probably look passable with enough time spent touching it up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I'll maybe be less annoyed with it if they reveal it's a joint Klingon-Federation ship on some secret mission. Doubly so if we get comedy bridge where one half is totally Bird of Prey, and the other half is proto-Galaxy hotel-lobby-in-space.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As a positive, the name of the show and the ship is pretty good. I like it for the ship more than the series, but it works and IS recognisably a Federation-y name.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Welp, saw Beyond tonight (after seeing Ghostbusters in the afternoon, which I thought was pretty good. Not classic as a film, but Holtzman might be a classic character and the whole movie may as well be The Jillian Holtzman Show because every shot is designed to make Kate McKinnon seem like the funniest, coolest, most badass woman to have ever lived. Like she will steal your girlfriend and you'll thank her for the privilege between laughs).

Movie was very good and I agree with everyone who says it's probably on the First Contact level or maybe a hair above. The best thing I can say is it felt like Star Trek. Pine's Kirk finally got to a place where I can see a smidge of Shatner's, but not so much so that it feels like an impersonation. Quinto's Spock is emotional, but Spock always was. Half of TOS was him barely concealing his annoyance/anger at McCoy or affection for someone. Feels like every 3rd episode had some outburst. And movie-era Spock accepted that his human half and his emotions were important parts of him, and another step on his path to wisdom. Quinto-Spock just had a cheat sheet to get there a little faster. Plus there's like 3 years between STID and STB. If dude smiles once in 3 years, that's still a big deal.

Urban's the one that stands the best from the impersonation stance, as his Kelley is uncanny, and when he's given the material, he nails it. Nearly every line of his had the entire cinema howling at my showing, the only exceptions being the clearly dramatic scenes.

The climax with "Sabotage" was amazing and I realized exactly what track Jaylah was going to play about 10 seconds before it happened and spent the whole scene with a huge grin. Especially with the main trio's reactions.

I think Krall's motivation, thematically anyway, is a bit more complex than 'revenge'. (I don't think Admiral Robocop was after revenge, either? I thought it was a whole false-flag/pre-emptive strike thing?) It's basically a concept of nativism and nationalism (Edison feeling like we need to constantly be in conflict with aliens, trying to beat them and 'win' without any thought to what winning actually gets you, basically a harder-line version of Archer's anti-Vulcan stance at the start of ENT) vs diversity and the Federation's cosmpolitan, diplomatic utopia, which shows that Pegg and his writing partner understand Trek a lot better than the previous team.

I also agree with the notion that Yelchin shouldn't be recast, and instead adding Jaylah to the bridge crew would make a lot more sense, especially as Chekov's function in these films fits with her established character in this one: The youthful tech prodigy.

Main critique I had was the shaky-cam in the fight scenes. There was literally one shot I recall where I could actually see the fight choreography.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think there were only two Franklin survivors.

Nope. 3. Edison's last captain's log says 2 other survivors

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The worst part of that episode to me is how Nog didn't use his authority as an actual real officer (albeit a pretty new one) and order them to quit acting like retards.

loving cadets.

Because a) Nog was too young, inexperienced and hungry for approval to do that; and b)as much as the Red Squad kids paid lipservice to following orders and the chain of command, they abandoned that the second they decided to disregard the actual captain's final order, and it would be one officer against like a hundred brainwashed cadets.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was also so easy for Orci and Kurtzman to have fixed, too, which is more galling. Have Pike say something like how Kirk proved himself, so once he's got enough academy credits to graduate, he'll be commissioned as, like, Lt Commander, and if he plays his cards right, he might be a captain before he's 30. Then "X YEARS LATER", do the final scene as it exists.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Duckbag posted:

My favorite is the silly little jacket thing with the four useless-looking silver "tools" that Torres wore in later Voyager episodes.

Wasn't that to cover that Roxann Dawson was pregnant?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

It's one thing to homage movies occasionally, it's another thing to bring your space show to a grinding halt so you can make an off-brand Rat Pack pastiche. Our Man Bashir is doing it right; Vic Fontaine just feels like someone on the writing staff wanted to be working on a different show.

There is functionally no difference between the Ocean's Eleven episode and Our Man Bashir, except that the latter is riffing on a more popular franchise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Apparently the used panty vending machines are gone.

Duh, we have the internet now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

wait, the 'Trip is Pregnant' episode of "Enterprise" is the FOURTH episode, AND it has a holodeck? Good God.

I do like "Enterprise" but this is loving ridiculous.

Aw, that's cute, pretending like the first 2 seasons of Enterprise consisted of original material and not old VOY and TNG scripts with the names scratched out and replaced.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope the new show is all about a ship constantly leaving just before or arriving just after cool stuff occurs. The unending blue balls would be amazing.

"Good work locating those Klingon pirates, Captain, now head back to Starbase 12, the Enterprise will deal with this!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

First Contact isn't terrible. But 1 out of 4 isn't the best track record. I'm still sore that the TNG crew didn't get a proper film send off. Spiner probably could've pulled off Data in a girdle one last time.

First Contact I'd argue is good. Not great, but good. Generations is the not-terrible one. The other two... exist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If Generations had been a season 7 2-parter and All Good Things had been the movie, I think that would've started things off on a better foot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

All Good Things... as a movie would have confused the poo poo out of general audiences.

No more so than Wrath Of Khan. Unless you think I mean literally using the script for the episode as we actually have it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Delsaber posted:

The scene with Guinan and Data can be entertaining. Throw the rest in the trash.

I will always hate Guinan being part of that subplot because they had Whoopi right there and gave her lovely non-jokes! How do you have an actual working stand-up there and make her not funny?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When did Pike's accident happen in the Prime universe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

CBS All Access information

- There will be ads. about 12 minutes per hour.

- Head of CBS All Access: "It’s the lightest ad load you can get. We’re toying with the idea of a commercial free option."

They literally have no idea why people pay for these services. I get that ads are a revenue stream, but if you can't do ad free based on your pricing, your price structure is wrong or your USP is not good enough to draw customers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It drives me insane that Netflix can do ad-free no problem, but somehow the big networks have to include ads even when you are paying (this and Hulu specifically)

Or even have a slightly pricier no-ads version (pushed as the main price point) and a cheaper with-ads option.

Or go all in and put one of the big guns, a Big Bang Theory or NCIS on there and trust that those shows have loyal enough audiences that you'll get enough subs to cover the cost.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean put BBT or NCIS on there EXCLUSIVELY. So you have to subscribe or not see those shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Hahahaha, that would get someone insta-fired just for suggesting it.

Oh, I know, but unless you're going to do that, or price it so no ads is an option, it's painfully clear they want the Netflix money without actually having to risk anything, and thus setting themselves up to fail. Why would you pay for what is basically the same product you can get on regular TV and Hulu.

Timby posted:

Maybe something to do with Rigel VII? Aren't there references to a nasty conflict between its people in The Cage?

The Rigellians or Orions would make some sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

They've heard that nerds are:

A) Die-hard fans who will do whatever they have to in order to watch something
B) Full of disposable income
C) Good with technology and are cord-cutters

and they did the executive math.

D) Know how to get around geoblocking so will just watch it on Netflix with their girlfriend's password?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

At this point I hope it will be in the JJ timeline, because they're gonna gently caress up canon of that era to hell and gone.

Things we won't see:

These uniforms:

Or these:

Or a bridge that looks like this:

Or Klingons that look like this:

Actually, I bet we see those uniforms and a similar, maybe slightly 'older' bridge design that splits the difference between Enterprise and The Cage. We'll probably get bumpy head Klingons though, so yes, ruined forever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd have liked a show set in the Enterprise B or C era. Even though it's been kinda done before (in movies), make the main ship a Connie Refit because it's a beautiful ship and hasn't helmed a TV series before. Or an Excelsior class (hell, give me the Enterprise B post Cameron Frye) because it's also a sexy ship.

I realize I'm part of the problem, wanting the old familiar when Trek should be trying something new, but something bridging the gap between TUC and TNG seems like a good place to go.

The Enterprise C feels like it would've been the perfect place to go. Already established female captain. Era of intrigue that hasn't been greatly explored, and a cool ship design.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

They'd think people are too stupid and ask ENTERPRISE WHERE IS KIRK!??!?! ARCHER!?!

:v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

The visuals of Enterprise's opening are great and inspiring. If they'd only chosen a different song...

...any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

I still really like the version using the closing theme.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

Yeah, but all of that requires a lot of setting knowledge for a show that's 25 years gone to have an impact. They'd either spend a ton of time catching people up and while they were doing that all of us supernerds would complain that things are moving too slowly and they're dumbing it down OR they wouldn't explain the backstory enough and lose all dramatic impact and us supernerds would say that it's their fault for having bad writing. You just can't make Trek like you make a big TV drama; it'll turn it into something that's definitely not Star Trek. Deep Space Nine is great but it's far from the mean of what people want out of Star Trek.

...You know that trying to just do Voyager and mediocre TNG is what killed Enterprise? Audiences do, in fact, want Star Trek to feel like TV drama that was made in the year it was actually made, and thankfully Fuller seems to at least agree on that front, hence the heavy serialisation Discovery is supposed to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

Yeah, that is what I am saying. Serialization good, dependency on old series bad.

Also, hilariously high expectations killed Enterprise. Each season of Enterprise stacks up as equal to or better in quality than any corresponding season of another TNG/DS9/VOY. Unfortunately, UPN bet their failing network on it and that didn't work because UPN was poo poo, not because Enterprise was poo poo. You can't hang an entire network concept on one franchise.* CBS is about to find that out. All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

Genre TV is alive and well - they are making a dozen superhero series right now.

*Supernatural notwithstanding.

Those superhero shows almost all air on the network that was built on your exception, though.