Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A particularly erotic chapter in her granddaugh—you know what, never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quark knew better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pikestaff posted:

Clearly DS9 had it right with holosuites.

This is how I know everyone either has me on ignore, or else I'm phase-shifted

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

remusclaw posted:

Showing that it isn't big deal in the future to be queer is a great sentiment and all but really isn't enough, because right now, it is a big deal.

The token Asian is a token gay too! What more do you people want???

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gaz-L posted:

On a more serious note than my last post, I get where George is coming from, mostly (I'm honestly doubtful if Gene actually gave a poo poo about LGBT representation) but the two most obvious counterpoints are what's already been mentioned: Sulu's only passingly identified as into women in the original series, and most people are smart enough to understand the context of the time for that series; and introducing a new LGBT character is basically not possible in the context of the movies, at least not if you want them to have anywhere near the weight of the main bridge crew. The closest we got to a new 'main' character in any of the movies, JJ-verse or not, is Saavik and she lasted all of one movie before being made irrelevant. What would've happened, had Takei gotten his wish, would've been like that one apparently gay helmsman in First Contact, where either his scenes would be first on the cutting room floor because he's not one of the main characters, or he WOULD be reduced to "the gay one", which I'm not sure is the message you want in Star Trek.

If he wants more original character LGBTQ representation in Trek, he should be talking to Fuller. Get a queer person on the bridge in the new show. gently caress it, have a transgender person as the captain.

This is what I was getting at too, and it's part of what I remember this book being about that we read in a sci-fi film class in college:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-History-Race-ing-toward/dp/0813524660

The gist being that Trek was always hailed as being progressive and forward-thinking for having representation of women, blacks, Asians, and other otherwise invisible groups front-and-center on the show (including Spock as a stand-in for nonspecific "other" groups that might not even have been identified yet). But that even with this being the case, the way it was handled was always with a Straight White Male as the captain, the paternalistic leader. Every other character that represented something was a sidekick or a secondary/tertiary fringe character; always the purest kind of tokenism that became such a joke by the 90s. Even the famous interracial kiss is only a halfhearted victory, since it's presented as a thing done under duress, a moment of shock and disgust for the viewers rather than elation or catharsis. There's even a whole chapter on Quark and how Armin Shimerman's portrayal of him, while he was trying his damnedest to bring depth and interest to a character under his control, semi-inadvertently just ended up creating the biggest ugly Jewish stereotype that's ever been on TV.

And so any show—but especially Star Trek—making a character with all the centrality and plot significance of Sulu gay is exactly the kind of scraps-from-the-table move that supposedly had been thrown out as garbage when they stopped talking about "civil unions" being equivalent to marriage and how gays should just take what they were given and be glad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How did this leave out Ethan Phillips and his 14-inch schlong

E: Odo was in it too as I recall

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Randumb Thots posted:

Kirk is neither gay nor straight. Kirk's sexual orientation is "I'm motherfucking James T. Kirk, bitch"

The best way to do this is to have the character be a woman, then have a scene in one episode where she's like "here's a holopic of me as a kid" and it's a little boy. No big deal is made of it, it just is.

Or the hair's a different color and they flip out over that. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since when do Star Trek fans deserve anything good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FilthyImp posted:

The X-Files exploded in 92. DS9 and B5 were a year after.

Serialized shows before that were like Dallas and poo poo. X-Files proved that a cinematic style, serialized show could be popular and profitable. The Sopranos afterwards was the gold standard.

Then Lost came around later and everyone thought "I need to write something with a Mystery angle and also it needs to be serialized with dangling plot threads I pull out of my rear end."

Remember, though, that this was all a kind of rediscovery of the form. Serials are literally the oldest form of broadcast storytelling, going back to radio dramas (and before that, serialized novels).

Episodic TV is an invention of the syndication model.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

;-* You buying?
:ughh: I'll issue the command to the replicator if that's what you mean

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aside from all that, my dumb pedantic complaint about it is that when Kirk yelled KHAAAAN they at least had an open communication channel; Kirk was actually yelling at Khan. But Spock is just howling the name heedlessly to the heavens, with nobody around to hear him. It's, well, illogical

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And the integrated fanny packs are goofy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He said

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A dire wolf is like a really evil wolf or something, and they're in Game of Thrones, so

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By the way

Drone posted:

And the scenes with Sulu's family were a great addition and thank gently caress it's finally been done after 50 years of Star Trek, but they still felt a little tacked-on. Yes, as a gay audience member, during most of the discussion about how Krall was planning to attack Yorktown, I kept thinking "but that's where Sulu's hubby and kid are, don't hurt them :ohdear: , and that is powerful. As is the shot of Sulu keeping his daughter's photo on the helm console and that totally-not-obvious-at-all light glinting off of his wedding band to make it noticeable. But couldn't they have found an actor for his husband to make it seem more convincing? Could they have at least had a peck on the cheek? Could he or their daughter at least been given a name (and her name better be Demora)?

What occurred to me most vividly about that one scene was how easily it could be edited out for foreign distribution in countries that would object to it. :commissar:

It's been happening a lot lately, bunch of American cartoons with gay content getting censored for China, Russia, Africa, the UK...

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 25, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But really even with the gradual development of the Ferengi they were never again as goofy as they were in that first episode, all shambling around and hissing like Gollum. We never see those weird energy whips again, do we?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I was on a balcony at an ultrascreen with a hangover and I was very happy when Yorktown stopped spinning around me.

, wrote Douglas Adams.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For all that I'd be happy if they would just figure out "inertial dampers" vs. "dampeners".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jellymouth posted:

The Ferengi were at their best in their own episodes of DS9. If there were a Star Trek spin-off that was just the misadventures of Ferengi, I would watch the poo poo out of it.
It's Never Sunny on Ferenginar or something like that.

Arrested Development style soap opera about the antics of Zek and Moogie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember how everyone was covered in Stüssy and British Knights logos in school in the late 80s/early 90s? Same reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The many other faults of Generations are almost redeemed for me by the sheer awesomeness of the saucer crash scene.

Perhaps nowhere else in all of Trek moviedom did I really get that same feel of human-made objects of unimaginable size and strength as I did from seeing that drat thing just keep plowing through the forest for what felt like minutes on end.

E: spoiler I guess for ancillary-ness

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That Futurama episode really went for the deep cuts, huh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boy are you in for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Veotax posted:

So was one of the Rikers literally a soulless copy?

That's "soulless minion of orthodoxy".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tunicate posted:

Reminder that Neelix was supposed to be 'Star Trek's Han Solo'.

What, the Outrageous Okona wasn't OUTRAGEOUS enough?

e: gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a lot of ways to have pairings that some factions consider abominations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(((Bajorans)))

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can see people not liking DS9 because they're dumb and don't like serialized political intrigue or whatever.

Comparing Voyager to TNG though, I can imagine people just find Voyager to be more "comfortable" somehow. Like it's got a more balanced cast and feels more like a "family", what with the matriarch figure and the various crew members behaving more like sitcom rivals and supporting characters than military or science officers. Voyager people aren't into "sci-fi", even by the loose definition of it that TNG fits into; they're into broad character drama and the chemistry between people like the Doctor and Seven.

TNG is more something you have to sit down and "get into". Voyager is more detached, something you can dip into and out of without any real commitment to paying attention to it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space panda seahorse-frogs who in a bizarre coincidence look just like blonde chicks from Illinois with slightly weird ears.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's a fun read, but...

Does he actually remember when any of the shows was on? DS9? TNG? Movie after movie? Even TOS?

It was no golden age. All those iconic moments he's illustrating to make his points are from episodes that people gave C grades and movies that were panned. It's only in retrospect that anything attains any kind of stature.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also frankfurters are not made from guys named Frank :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Seven of Nine is really funny though. I saw an episode where they are using the Holodeck to recreate a cheesy 1950's sci-fi show, with a big goofy robot, and since 7o9 doesn't understand the game, she just dismantles the robot in five seconds, breaking the game.

"I am the Robotron!"
"I am BORG." *tears open its chest*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course, "remote control" is apparently one of those concepts that you just don't want to bring up when writing Treknobabble.

Same with "just copy the data, and don't delete the original until the copy is verified"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FlamingLiberal posted:

My son is also named Spork

That's Spokk to you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that I had heard of this "rule" as far back as the 80s when a schoolyard buddy told me about it. He also told me that all female Vulcan names started with T'

Which I think they more or less still hold to, don't they?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saavik being an example of the variation on the rule (which I think I also heard) that said all Vulcan names (regardless of sex) should start with S and end with K (which also gives us Sybok).

I feel like there has been one hell of a game of telephone between all the various creative teams over the decades.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bull3964 posted:

50 years ago right now, 'The Man Trap' aired on NBC.

It's airing right now on BBC-A in better quality than it aired back then.

Lol @ that plant puppet which is a guy with his hand in a pink glove.

Picture quality's excellent though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Patrick Stewart says that he had no idea. He showed up for his first convention, and as he was waiting backstage for his very first panel, he asked the con staff "...did anyone show up for this? Is there anyone out there?" seemingly expecting there to be a sad smattering of individuals, rather than a roaring crowd of hundreds.

This was also Andy Merrill at the 1997 Comic-Con. He came out of the panel room where the Space Ghost panel was going to be with a camcorder because someone had told him there was a huge line outside. I was right there at the front as he held it uncertainly to his eye and panned up the line muttering "Oh my god.... look at all the people :aaaaa:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh. I had thought it was an urban legend that Bones never actually "He's dead, Jim" verbatim, only variations on it. But I'm watching Wolf in the Fold right now and he's said twice in the first-half-hour.

I mean I know "Beam me up, Scotty" never occurs word-for-word, but I guess the Bones one does.